Apps

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  WrXgirl 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if there was a specific 5:2 app for tracking calories on fast days. All the apps I know of are daily trackers with over 1000+ calories allowed. I’m looking for an app that will let me set daily calorie allowances from 0 – up. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Allan

Im sure someone will know of an app. Do you think counting calories for the rest of your life is the best way forward though? Your body does not count calories and then release satiety signals to the brain. Just doesn’t work like that. Ghrelin, leptin and insulin are the three biggest hormone contributors to your weight and general feeling of satiety. Eat foods that keep those in check and you will go a long way towards success. Eat unprocessed foods with little or no added sugar. Avoid processed grain based carbs. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply @bigbooty.
    What methods are you using to ensure very low calorie fast days vs normal days?

Hi iceman,

How about using 5:2 recipes that will give you a calorie count per specific sized meal.

There are several 5:2 cooking books, and recipe threads on the forum.

Personally I work out my own calories by ingredients. After a few Fast Days (FDs) I settled on a particular regime that suits me well and I just do the same thing each FD.

There are some commonalities that pop up in what people have on FDs:

* Soup is common as a FD dinner, made on a clear stock.

* Protein plus low calorie vegies, plus low calorie fruit.

* Many skip grains on FDs.

* Skip added sugar on FDs especially.

PS

* Some people only eat dinner at night, saving all calories for 1 meal.

* small breakfast and small dinner is also common.

* water only fast, no calories, is another option

@iceman. Ive never counted calories. Im in maintenance mode so I only fast one day per week. Its a water only fast. I just found it easier than only trying to eat a little bit. I avoid grain based foods ALL the time. Personally I consider grain based foods to be junk food. No bread, pasta, cakes, biscuits pizza etc. No sugar. No fruit juice, its just sugar water.

I try and eat unprocessed foods. It works for me. Ive been in maintenance for 3 1/2 years now.

I only count calories on FDs. I use myfitnesspal to keep track. I haven’t tried many other apps because this one works so well for me. I’ve always stuck to 500 calories 2 days per week, because I lost my weight that way and now I use it to maintain, eating a little more on NFD.

My appetite seems to have changed after being on 5:2 for 15 months. It hasn’t been necessary to count calories on NFD. I don’t eliminate any food groups and just try to eat mindfully without depriving myself. It works.

@merryme thanks for the suggestions. I asked @bigbooty what they do as they don’t count calories. I intend to count calories only on FD.

@bigbooty congrats on the weight loss and maintaining it. Lots of people choose to avoid grains ( or other foods ), so you have plenty of company. I’m one of those that is choosing intermittent fasting so I can eat what I want.

@califdreamer I only plan to count calories on FD also. One of the main reasons I am choosing IF / 5:2 over any other style or WOE like keto or whatever is that I don’t want to spend a lot of time counting anything, calories, carbs, or anything else.

My first intro to IF was in 2003 with the Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler. I had great success with it but left it behind, not because it didn’t work but because I started eating lunch with coworkers every day and it wasn’t convenient. Once I got super fat and out of shape and on meds for various health related problems in 2016, I started dieting again and eventually gravitated back to IF. There are so many versions now – 16:8, 20:4, OMAD, alternate day fasting, the Snake Diet, 5:2, etc. I’ve done variations of all, including just straight water fasting. I believe 5:2 is the most sustainable long term as 600 calories can be quite a bit of food if you time it right.

Thanks for the replies.

I’m a newbie and can’t figure out how to update the challenge sheet~~ duh duh duh any ideas would be appreciated!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.