Anyone else 'Skinny Fat'?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Anyone else 'Skinny Fat'?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  HappyNow 8 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hi Everyone

I’m looking for some buddies to lose the last few pounds with.

I’m 5’4 and used to be super fit and strong but since I’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia my muscle seems to have wasted away to nothing. I’m currently 8 stone 13 (down from 10 stone 2 last year). Last time I was this weight I was a UK size 8 and had a nice small waist. Now I’m a 10 with a 35″ belly which makes me look pregnant. I can imagine my body fat percentage is pretty high and I’m probably at risk for things like diabetes later in life.

I need to gain muscle and lose fat. My belly should be 32″ maximum to be deemed ‘healthy’ – I’ve taken the measurement just under my belly button and it encompasses my ‘love handles’.

Anyone else in this boat? My goal weight is roughly 8 stone 7, but really my goal is for my belly to be under 32″ – whatever that weight may be. If I can gain muscle I’m sure that weight will go up again, but with fibro it’s hard to exercise.

Your waist is your narrowest part, generally somewhere between your rib cage and your belly button.

It sounds as if you are measuring some no (wo)man’s land between your waist and hips?

Yes, that’s exactly where I’m measuring.

My waist is ‘healthy’ at 30″. But for an indicator of health, I believe it’s the ‘belly’ that needs to be measured. I’ll see what I can dig up and check I’m allowed to post the link before I do.

Yep, I’m measuring in the right place. Half way between bottom of rib cage and hip bones, basically just under the belly button:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx?CategoryID=51

I get that the waist is the narrowest part – I do dressmaking and that’s where you measure the waist. But I believe this is different.

I suspect that advice on where to measure waist circumference was developed for men, who don’t necessarily have a well defined waist, particularly if overweight?! And actually possibly for overweight people who can’t tell where their natural waist is?

The following suggests measuring above your belly button:
    http://www.health-calc.com/body-composition/waist-to-height-ratio

Most websites I’ve seen suggest that a woman’s waist is her narrowest part.

I’m a pear, and my waist (i.e. my narrowest part and where a waistband sits) is most definitely above my belly button. And nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise 😀

I measure both my natural waist and my actual(around the belly button). When I started this I had no waist and was simply round. My goal is to get to the waist less than half my height..which is proving a struggle after the initial 4 inches.

Did you hear that lentils and chickpeas are supposed to be very food for getting rid of belly fat? I think that you would have to eat a lot, but as fibre is very very good for losing weight and health, it seems to be win, win.

Annette,

I did see that! I love dhal and hummus so I’m happy!

I don’t measure below my natural waist. As a pear, that only tells me that I have big hips!

I have a large belly and am fairly slim everywhere else. That tells me there’s an unhealthy amount of visceral fat there which I definitely need to lose. I have a spare tyre and love handles too which probably isn’t so dangerous. But I really don’t want to get diabetes. I’m going with the advice of where to measure from the NHS site.

Hi atc,

Obviously you must do what feels right for you, but most websites I’ve seen suggest measuring waist at belly button or 1 inch above or narrowest part. I’m not sure why NHS say below belly button.

I guess if you are proper apple though, you’re aiming for the widest part of your abdomen….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.