Anyone doing a 4:3?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  ajmcintyre67 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hi,
    Just wondered if anyone wanted a kick start and fancied joining me in a 4:3?

I. Am also doing the 4:3

How are you getting on with it? Have you been doing it for long?

Hello all from Sydney, Australia.

Just started on Sunday, 4 days ago on a 4:3. First fast day was tough, hungry all day and night. Had a huge loss though. The next fast day was Tuesday. I was working and it was a breeze.

Today is non-fasting and a lunch out at a Chinese restaurant. This will be interesting when I next weigh in. Next fast day is tomorrow.

I bought the Kindle version of the companion book to the documentary that I viewed on Saturday and it is well worth the read. We like our curries (a lot) so it was great to see some tasty recipe ideas in it. Made the Red Lentil Curry for Tuesday’s dinner – too much to eat even after portioning it to 4 serves!

Cheers, Glenys

I’m on 4:3 now, and find it works very well for me.

My “ideal” weight is about 73kg (+/- 1kg)

Normally I can maintain myself at 73 using 5:2. But I like to travel, and half the fun of travelling is the food, so every once in a while I head off travelling for a month or two and eat whatever I want every day. As a result my weight creeps up to over my comfort zone. So when I come home I go onto 4:3 until I am back down to my target weight, and then switch to 5:2.

I’ve used this routine a few times and it seems to work for me. When I initially go onto 4:3 I find nothing much happens for 2-3 weeks and then I steadily lose about 1/2 kg each week.

I fast on Mon/Wed/Fri and I also try to go to my gym on those 3 days. Strangely perhaps I find going to the gym actually feels better on fast days than food days.

On eating days I do not restrict myself, I eat a pretty healthy diet anyway but have always put on weight really easily (it’s in the genes!). I know perfectly well that if I drop off the 5:2 my weight will creep up to around 80 within a few months. So for me I’ve found the fasting diet to be effective, and also pretty easy to stick to.

My 4:3 is identical to Gokiburi’s–I fast MWF and exercise on those days. I’ve only been doing this for about two months, and when I weighed myself after the first month (plus a couple of days), the scale reported a 19 lb weight loss. I have a feeling there was some error there, because that seemed far too drastic a weight loss for such a short period (I’m a realist, LOL).

I’ve been trying to restrict a little on my non fast days, but by the time it’s time to break I’m Just. So. Hungry. Part of this is probably due to the 30+ minutes of exercise I do (the rowing machine is my favourite, at least in terms of results, but it’s a really hard workout–I do intervals of 30 seconds row/30 seconds rest for about 20 minutes, then do 10 on the elliptical, more if I have the energy). I do free weights as well but not enough and have been trying to get into the habit of doing them more often. I use the MyFitnessPal app to keep track of my non fast day calorie intake.

I’m still trying to work out some kinks, like how to keep the non fast day calories a little more under control, what fasting time frame works best (I’ve been going midnight to midnight just so the app keeps the numbers clearer, but I’m starting to rethink that), etc. I’m lucky in that I have a lifestyle which makes it relatively simple to fast three days a week, and a very understanding and patient husband (who is not fasting). I usually make stir fries with lots of veg (baby pak choi is a particular fave at the moment), and make enough for leftovers for my husband on my fast days.

I’ve always been a very mindful eater, so eating in front of the TV or a computer or what have you has never been an issue for me. My issues are 1) portion control and 2) a raging sweet tooth. I also suffer from fibromyalgia, so i have to be careful with certain things regarding exercise. If I could stop overeating and lay off the sugar, those two things alone would make life much easier, alas.

I’d actually worked very hard three years ago to drop about 30 lbs through calorie restriction and exercise, felt and looked great, and was very proud of my determination and will, only to squander it all and then some by going on a year-long muffin binge. :-/ So I’m kind of back to square one and more than a little annoyed with myself, but at least I’m headed in the right direction again.

Hi,
    I’m in my 12th week of 4:3 and have now lost 45 lbs. I had a period of almost 2 weeks where I didn’t lose a single gram and I was wondering what other peoples experiences are. Does anyone else have periods where they fast but don’t loose weight? I’d like to know what I have to look forward to….!

omg evieb thats great 45lbs, I’m new starting this week.

I am going to give 4:3 a try. The NFDs can really throw me off so adding one more FD should help.

Hi Evie and welcome:

This will illustrate the pattern you can expect: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Your current rate of loss will not continue, so be prepared for a slowing rate of loss. You can expect to lose about a pound a week on average (even on 4:3) over time. So you will probably experience periods of more than one week without any loss in the future.

Good Luck!

Well I’m now in my 15th week of 4:3 and have now lost 54 lbs. I’m hoping to loose an additional 11 lbs before Christmas so I can enjoy all the food without feeling guilty. It should be doable but we’ll see.

Congratulations EvieB. That’s really great. Gives me hope. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.