Any other US Followers? I feel like I am the only one out there :)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Any other US Followers? I feel like I am the only one out there :)

This topic contains 52 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  jsbach 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)

• Hello!
    I just started the FAST diet after reading the book. I have been following a clinic diet requiring weekly visits with shots, daily caloric intake of between 600 and 1000 and less than 25 grams of carbs everyday. In the first two weeks I lost a lot of weight…10lbs..but after that not much…I was also advised to eat a lot of foods that were “frankenfoods” or fake because they were low carb..It literally sucked the joy out of me..I am a foodie in every sense of the word…though I was losing weight I felt uncomfortable about what I was eating and knew I couldn’t maintain this way of eating for the rest of my life. I am very excited about this plan because it is DOABLE for the LONG TERM! I would love to connect to others that are on a similar path…Ideally I would like to lose 100lbs

Just started today! I’m in WI too :). My scale has been creeping up and I’d like for it to go the other way. My first fast day was a success. I’m a little worried about sleeping tonight & boot camp at 5:45 am tomorrow. Any advice out there for working out the morning after a fast day?

welcome all usr’s

i don’t follow anything. except the fastdays either 5:2 or 4:3 and always count calories.

i want 2 enjoy food 2 so maybe one day is pure low carb w/ bone marrow or rillette the next day veg another day pure sin high carbs gluttonous food

i just average everything so far it is giving me 1.4 lbs loss a week (click on peoples names and u will find out their topics replies. jeanious is uk but a genius & very helpful.

everyone is doing it different.

that’s why i think allot of chefs like this

example i like 2 average 1440 cals a wk 1 wk i went super overboard so i averaged the 1440 4 the month

what you will c is this is fun and u will have allot of energy and u will no longer be hungry 4 unhealthy

u r no longer in prison called diet 4 life (i still have a long way 2 go)

last week i averaged 1395 (i’m still making up 4 that disastrous wk)

9870-1883-1933-2127-500-1722-376-1221 = 108 left over

concerning exercise i’m doing michael’s 3 minute hit a wk i don’t think pbs has all his fast health programs but they might have clips

wish u success and u will make it

I’m a USA follower and today was my first fast day! This site and forum are great. Looking forward to the fast diet!

welcome aaron wish u success

Hi,

Carla here. I am also in the US…Indiana. Home of biscuits and gravy with fried potatoes and make a couple of eggs and fried biscuits and apple butter breakfasts. Is it any wonder we fall into one of the top states for obesity? This is the beginning of my third week on the FAST DIET and couldn’t be more pleased. I had 30 pounds to lose and have already lost 5.5 of it!
    Doing an Alternating Days Fast approach and hope to maintain my target weight with 6-1 once I reach it!

Happy Fasting!
    πŸ™‚

Greetings All,

I’m in South Jersey. It will be interesting to see how many more folks from the US start to do this. This isn’t to exclude our friends across the pond. For without one particular Brit, we would not have the pleasure of this forum nor the whole 5:2 FastDiet. Much success to everyone!

Hi from Christine in Wisconsin. I saw Eat, Fast and Live Longer on PBS and immediately ordered the book. I waited until after I saw my doctor to start, but since the end of April I’m down about 16 pounds. πŸ™‚ I just started to go and exercise for the toning and muscle strengthening. The calories burned are pitifully few, but I’m building up stamina. My cousin is getting married next July and I’m going to Disneyland next October so those are my incentives to keep at it. I have over 100 pounds to lose, but with the Fast Diet, there’s hope!

Hi fellow USA-ers
    I’m living in California, born in Hawaii. Very cold and foggy here on the coast. Any way I saw Eat Fast, etc and got the
    US version of the cookbook, which explains the diet and has tempting recipes, however on my fast days I’ve had super simple meals, steel cut oats with berries for (late) breakfast, salad and chicken breast at dinner. I’ve been doing this for
    2 weeks, 5:2, and although fairly hungry at times, fell energized and quite well. I walk 15″ downhill each morning and
    climb up hill for 20″ to return home. No problem, even on fast days. I’m 73, loving the “diet”, and grateful to Dr. Mosely.
    I lost 25 lb. last year, (on the HCG diet) and would like to lose 10 more, and, most of all, not regain it.

I am joining from beautiful Sonoma County, California. I was referred to the BBC special by a colleague near San Diego. After watching it, I ordered the book and started following it. After 3.5 months I have lost 20 pounds so far.

Wow. Lots of Wisconsin users! I’m originally from Wisconsin – Armstrong Creek, way in the North. Now in Florida.

This is week 5 for me and I’ve lost 6 pounds. I have struggled with dieting for years, ever since I hit that magic age 50 number.

I can easily see this as a way of life and I love it! I’ve tried other “diet” programs and they turned out to be so expensive….special foods to buy and booklets, etc. This is the opposite!

Good luck everyone.

Hi USA peeps…i am in Mass. and new to the plan ! Looking forward to day 1 tomorrow…plan to do Monday and Thurs for my fast days…. hoping for some good results !

Lots of USers. I’m from Mass too. In week 13 and lost 15 pounds. Love it.

Hi ! I live in Maine. Today is my 4th fast day. A friend is also doing it with me. I have another friend who has lost about 15 pounds on this. She inspired me. I got on the scale yesterday and i had lost 5 lbs. And I had gone to 2 weddings within the week. So I’m VERY encouraged. This seems really doable.

Hey fellow Americans! On week 18 and down 20 pounds!! I’ve inspired my wife to jump on the plan (four weeks and down 5 pounds), my boss (just started so nothing to report yet), and several co-workers. Diet advocates can talk all they want, but results show. I’ve lost four inches off my waist (from a size 38 jeans to a size 34 – bordering on fitting into 32’s). I look noticeably thinner everywhere. I have not been this weight in over 15 years! Great thing was that I used to lift weights to build up my chest and shoulders. The diet didn’t pull just from those areaas, but all over, so I still a strong upper body. It can be done. Hang in there!!

greetings from the shores of Lake Erie, 3 months of 5/2 fasting has caused my doctor to take me off of the sugar pill, next blood test in a couple of months will hopefully show other pill adjustments will be in order. I am thinner and buying new pants.

First fast day today, 7pm here in NJ, USA and all is well. I have been awake since 6a…therefore, I should be asleep early before any hunger pangs start:) So far OK…

Just started my second week…today is 3rd fast day….down 3 lbs in one week but I also noticed that I get a lot more done on fast days because I keep busy to keep my mind off food πŸ™‚

Hi all US 5:2ers,

I live in Calif. east of San Francisco Bay.

Today I am starting week 16. Most of my fast days go by without too much trouble and I am really sticking to the 500 cals. At first the weight loss was pretty quick but after about week 9, it slowed down. I am now averging about 3/4 of a pound a week. Not fast and not even consistent but my weight is going down. Lost about 10 pounds so far.Best of all, I have lost 2″ off my waist.

While I need to lose some weight my real reason for doing this is for the health benefits. My cholesterol is going down and that is the main thing I wanted and also to keep my mind for all of my life. When my cholesterol is under control, I will drop down to maintenance using 6:1.

Finding a way to manage the fast days seems to be the key to staying on the diet. My normal breakfast of Kashi puffed 7 grain cereal with dried cranberries and a few nuts for protein is approx. 200 cals. Then around 2-3pm, I eat a piece of fruit. I then eat the rest of the calories for dinner. So I may not be exact on the 500 cals. I’m there + or – 20 to 30 cals. each fast day. My fast days are Mon. and Thurs. They go from my last food on Sun or Wed night to the morning after the fast day. So I sleep-fast-sleep-eat. Works out to about 32 to 34 hours with 500 cal. intake.

I don’t count calories on non-fast days. The whole appeal of the program is that it is simple and I only have to think about food 2 days a week. I may lose weight a little bit slower but doing it this way I am able to stick to it.

Wishing all of you good health.

Quick

Wishing you all lots of luck and good fortune and may

Hi Quick! I am following the schedule you are almost exactly so I am hoping for success!
    Thanks for the post! I feel I can keep going as you have!

In Connecticut, originally from California. Stick with it, guys! I lost 20 lbs so far in 4 months. Yes, I go to the gym a fair bit, but I did that before and didn’t lose squat. This diet is the most powerful tool I’ve ever seen for taking control of the weight. I’m back to where I was in 1990 now, and will not regain since I know what to do and that I can do it. Even the long winter months here no longer seem as daunting as they once did.

Oh, yeh, and don’t become obsessive about Β±30 calories on fast days. Not that big a deal, so long as you’re in the ballpark.

Ron

I had another surprise. I am finishing week 5 and actually felt FULL when I ate out yesterday. What a good feeling. I could stop eating and actually be happy about it!

Hello again everyone! I created a Facebook community page to make it a little easier to share support and information…Please note this is not a page to sell anything so please don’t use it as such. I was simply looking for an easier way to connect with other followers…here is the link! Please join! https://www.facebook.com/FastDietFollowers

Hi – I am in northern California… Today is my second fast day.

Hello! I live in Oklahoma City, OK USA – Today is my first fast day and I am enjoying it so much! I feel in control and not hungry – There is always tomorrow!
    Thanks @Momofthreeinwisc for the FB page!

Another newbie from northern California. I have completed a few fasts including one day with liquids only. Not a lot of weight loss so far but I enjoyed the book and look forward to all of the health benefits. I have done a few days of high intensity interval training (HIIT) on an exercise bike. I feel like I can commit to this lifestyle!

Hi all, this is the end of my first week, tomorrow I weigh in… I found this diet almost too easy. Proof will be on the scale. I use the app MyFitnessPal which helps keep me honest and within my calorie goal.
    Hoping I will be happy in the morning !!

Hello from N. Wis. to Momofthreeinwis & Everyone!!
    I have to agree, the fast day really was pretty easy! Here it’s a bit like northern California, cooler, more trees, and plenty of roads to bike on, so there’s where I plan on doing my high intensity training (happens naturally up a long hill ;). I think you’ll be happy in the morning AldebaranBarn, I didn’t really notice I was hungry until I made breakfast and sampled some of it at the end of the fast day.
    Great to see so many giving it a go!

HI All–
    Im from NJ. Tomorrow is my second fast day. Hey Momofthreeinwisconsin I too, was dieting at a clinic with a limit of calories and no carbs with shots and supplements. I lost 20lbs,but immedialtely gained 5 in one week went I went on cvacation and introduced some carbs. I didnt go crazy but a 5lbs weight gain in one week was too much. I really cant eat 600 calories every day until I lose all my weight. I am hoping this will work. Any advise and good vibes my way would be great. P.S. Ive been an expert “dieter” for years πŸ™‚

Hi Vienna!
    I have found that this plan is WAY easier and not as soul killing (lol) as the clinic plan AND I don’t miserable at all…Just knowing I just have to get through today was what really helped me at first but after I figured out that I am not going to starve to death and that your hunger doesn’t “grow and become out of control” as the book suggests I was fine…I actually look forward to the fast days (which I know sounds crazy) because I get a lot more done and feel really good! I too have been a dieter for years…I also ran but found that for me…consistent rigorous exercise was not enough to lose weight…I just couldn’t find a plan I knew I could do for life…Please like my facebook group page https://www.facebook.com/FastDietFollowers …It is for anyone..no selling stuff etc…There is about 10 of us on there just supporting each other…I have found I am on there much more and it is a quicker way to talk with others…get support etc…I would love to hear what you think in comparison to what you were doing!

Hello American friends from Wisconsin, NJ, North Carolina, California, Maine and everywhere else – really good to have you here. Love hearing your stories, keep them rolling in. LOTS of good vibes, to Vienna especially today, Mimi

Howdy, from the great state of Oklahoma. I have lost 20.5 pounds in 12 weeks. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started the 5:2 plan, it is now my lifestyle. The term user friendly may be extremely overused but it is an accurate description of 5:2. I don’t have to punish myself to lose weight and live healthier.

Hey all! I’m in Kansas. This is my second week on the program. I haven’t weighed in yet. I didn’t want to get discouraged if I didn’t lose anything the first week. I like the program. I’ve found it interesting how much of my eating is just bad habits. I’m in a certain place or time so I think I need to eat. The fasting has helped me think about that. I just finished reading Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us. Between the book and the fasting I’m being very mindful of what I’m eating. Hoping that shows up on the scale when I weigh next week.

Thanks everyone- Its nice to know that everyone is in the same boat here I appreciate the good vibes and I enjoy reading everyone’s posts. …5pm was a little sketchy but I made a cup of green tea with mint and that seemed to do the job. Dinner was at 7pm and Im off for a walk. I’m hoping I can use this forum as a way to keep accountable. Support is so incredibly helpful:)
    Ive decided that my weigh in days are going to be Monday. I will admit however that Im addicted to the scale. I sometimes weigh myself two times a day and the number usually sets my mood for the day ( which is bad I know)-but I cant help it…
    My dr. told me that I had to lose weight but did not offer a plan to help me. so here I go.. and Im hoping this can be a (weigh) of life for me…Thanks;)

I’m in the US! Pennsylvania. I’m a foodie! Love to cook and eat. Today was my 6th fast (3rd wk). Loving it so far, dropping pounds and feeling better! My husband and I are doing 5:2 Monday and Thursday. I lost 65lbs doing weight watchers and because of a new job with lots of travel I put most of it back on. I finally found something I can do on the road and am dropping the pounds again! So far we are both loving this life style.

Hi All–
    Today was my weigh in..And I lost 3lbs for the first week…. Not too bad:0 Today was my third fast day.. I found this one a little difficult..But got through it:) So week two here we go:)

Reporting in from the foggy Central Coast of California on my first fast day. While reading other posts and how much fellow members had to lose, I had to look up how to convert Stones and KG’s into pounds to see what our Euro friends were writing about! Guess what? I only need to lose 4.4 Stones….Doesn’t that sound so much easier than needing to lose 60 pounds? It does to me……..lol

Hello from American Fork, Utah. It’s fun to see how many people this program is helping all over. There have been a couple of times over the last 7 weeks I have been doing 5:2, where I wanted to jump off the band wagon, but because of the help and inspiration that is shared here, I stuck it out and am SO glad I did! It really works!

just checkmarking
    the
    Notify me of follow-up replies via email
    oh well i’ll go make my dinner & listen 2 a free book from my lbr
    on my super old mp3 πŸ˜€
    while copy pasting ugh this reply 2 all
    now i wish i were a newbie 2 many 2do

Hi from the Chicago area! Just started with 5:2. My second fast day is tomorrow.

Greetings from Oregon. I’m new to this site, but my husband and I have been on the Fast Diet for 6 weeks. My husband has lost 15 pounds, but I’ve lost nothing, or I should say I lose 3 on the β€œfast days” and gain it back on the β€œnormal days.” I’m so frustrated. On the normal days I’m guessing I eat 1700 calories. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

Hi All!

I’m a USA follower (Virginia) and just started the Fast Diet this week. I just got through my first fast day (opted for Tues/Thurs fast days) and so far so good. I work an overnight shift so I just had “breakfast” at 1:00AM. πŸ™‚
    I am really excited about this lifestyle change and looking forward to a healthy 2014.

hi tc

u may call me usa

welcome

wish u success in this fdl (fastday lifestyle)

what did u eat 4 a 1am breakfast

here is something that might help u

everything a newbie might want 2 c, use & read

mayb u could add tips on overnight shifts w/ the fdl on this topic below

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/everything-a-newbie-might-want-2-c-use-read/

happy nonfastdays & fastdays & 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or adf w/1 or 6/1 πŸ˜€

Hi USA thanks so much for sharing the link! I am on a non fast day so I had Campbell’s Vegetable Soup at 1:00AM. I know, it’s a weird breakfast. I really do not crave normal breakfast foods anymore working these hours. My first fasting day was a breeze considering I was asleep most of the day. πŸ˜€

I also use the “Lose It” app on my phone to log foods and monitor my calories. My Fitness Pal is also very popular but I became distracted by the social aspect of it… (hey I’m not in denial…lol). With Lose It I log and go.

I am somewhat addicted to this site now so I read through it whenever I get downtime throughout the night. πŸ™‚

tc,

not weird try amy’s organic lentil soup it is so so good u can get get it a

normal supermarket & is less expensive than campells

the lose it app i definitely am going 2 try need something simple fitnesspal is 2 complex but my fave is the us gov

supertracker but they r shut down ugh

it is not an app

just pure facts so so simple

but lose it sounds perfect

thanks

Hi usa, I will definitely try amy’s organic lentil soup. I have seen those soups and have wanted to try them for some time. I also want to try Wolfgang Puck’s soups (i heard his butternut squash soup is yummy) so this will be on my grocery list. I love soup because it is so filling and convenient to heat up at work. Also, bringing soup and fruit to work keeps me away from the snack machine. πŸ™‚

I had no idea there was a us gov food tracker. I will have to check that out as well (when it becomes available again). I think you will like the Lose It app. It is very similar to My Fitness Pal and the food scanner is pretty up-to-date. I have yet to come across anything that has not registered on the scanner yet and I’ve scanned some uncommon/unique items. πŸ™‚

Five minutes to “Fasting Thursday” for me.

happy nonfastdays & fastdays to you as well!

TC

I am a 5:2’er from the Philadelphia suburbs. I have been following the plan since mid-August (3 months) with great success – losing 1+ pound/week, consistently, until this week ! I’m up a little for some reason. I am also a member of Weight Watchers and have been attending meetings every week for over 3 years, but the WW diet has been leaving me frustrated. On a good week I would only lose fractions of a pound on WW. The reason I continue to attend meetings is for the group support – being around other people who are in the same boat and can offer encouragement. But I have NOT told anyone in the class about being on the 5:2 plan ! Everyone wants to know HOW I’ve been able to shed so much weight over the past 3 months. I am afraid that if I even mention the word “fast” or “calorie restriction” I’ll start to get lectures on how unhealthy it is . . . so I just keep it to myself. And because WW has become like 2nd nature to me after all these years, I DO count points/calories on NON-FAST days and try to keep it to 1200-1300 per day. Being only 5′ tall, I cannot eat much more and continue to see such good results. But after a “fast day” the 1200-1300 calories seems like a FEAST to me. So I’ll continue on this way until I lose my remaining 20 pounds. My daughter is getting married in June, so that’s extra incentive.

From IL, on IF since March – lost about 16-18lbs. Weight loss has slowed down, I only have another 10lb to go.

Dropped all meat and wine to only 1 night. My diet is mostly fruits and veggies, grains and legumes. That helped restart weight loss.

Please check my earlier posts by clicking my username.

best wishes and stay strong.

sivasankar

welcome back

yippeee on ur loss

i’m on the wheat belly 1 now w/ fasting of course

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/reversing-type-2-diabetes-the-fastday-lifestyle/page/3/

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

have u tried that?

Hi, Tennessee gal here. Been on 5:2 officially for 6 weeks, started trying it out but not strictly 7 weeks ago. 11.8lbs less of me so far! I’m a happy camper!

jsbach, just saw your post. don’t you hate it that guys lose more usually than we do? πŸ™‚ I’m not sure you are doing anything wrong. sometimes it just takes a while for our bodies to get with the program. the first few weeks I GAINED on fast days, did not make me happy, but the overall weight went down. now, my body seems to have adjusted and I’m loosing. don’t give up! are you measuring yourself regularly? my daughter is loosing very slowly and has had some ups and downs, but is loosing inches. good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Glad to meet everyone. you all are inspiring!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply.