Any Newbies out there?

This topic contains 139 replies, has 57 voices, and was last updated by  Happychick 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 140 total)

• Hi Tiny me, 13Maggie and everyone else!

I’ve got dizzy a couple of times – a low cal fizzy drink has helped or a couple of grapes.

I now find I don’t get hungry in the mornings and can quite happily wait until lunchtime. It feels like I am doing 16:8 on non-fast days by accident.

I have also found I do not lose weight if I eat up to my TDEE with exercise included. I have now recalculated it with no exercise to see if this helps.

On a nice note, my husband on holidays this week, so not sure if I can fast!

By 16:8 you mean that you are fasting 16 hours and food within 8 hours? I’m so new to this I don’t know all the terminology yet! What’s TDEE mean as well please? Thanks again:)

Hi newbies…my first fast day is tomorrow.really need to do this .wish everyone good luck and happy fasting x

Good luck Lighter Lynie. Only my 3rd day tomorrow and hoping easier than 1st! You CAN do this but do listen to your body as well. If you need a few more cals I think you should take them if feeling dizzy like I was. Some people have no problems at all but we are all made up differently! Good luck and you WILL feel lighter Tuesday morning:)

Just joined. Starting fast tomorrow (mondays and thursdays) and aim to lose 30 lbs

This is my first day on the 5:2. Trying hard to keep busy in order to keep my mind off food on this, my first fast day. Have to lose a LOT of weight so I guess I’m in for the long haul!

Hi Tiny and welcome:

This will explain TDEE: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

This has more links that will answer most of your questions: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi Tiny me

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure and BMR (basal metabolic rate). If you use the calculator on this forum it will work out your calories for a non-fast day. Keep below the TDEE number and above the BMR number. Stick with 500 calories for a fast day.

16:8 is something different again and not really part of 5:2 – they are both different plans, but I have seen other people mention them. Yes you fast for 16 hours and then have an 8 hour window to eat all your calories. For example, if you have 1600 calories per day, you eat them all in the 8 hour window, which can be quite hard to do, every day. I did 16:8 for a week (lost 2 lb) and then progressed on to 5:2.

I just found after doing 5:2 I don’t feel hungry in the mornings, so by accident went from before 8.00 pm the previous evening until after 12.00 noon the next day not eating. I am sticking with 5:2 and eating under my TDEE.

I hope this helps. 🙂

Good luck everyone else starting today/tomorrow. I look forward to seeing your progress. 🙂

Starting IF tomorrow–reading the many posts and think this might be very doable for me. Wanting to shed 10-15 lbs for the very last time!!

We got this. On a fast today.

Welcome to all you newbies. Hope all is going well. I’m on day 4 of my second week. My fast day on this week was day 1. It’s weird to think I am looking forward to my fast day which I want to do on day 7.

I lose 5lb in the first week so hopefully I will lose something in week 2. If not I’m contemplating doing 4:3 to speed up the weight loss. I’ve got about a stone to loose.

What is IF Linderley? X

Started today & am very excited about it. I decided to fast on day 1 & plan on fasting on Mondays & Thursdays. I use My Fitness Pal & also have an online diary. Ideally I would love to lose 10kg, but would be happy with 5.So far, so good. I decided to stretch the fast out so didn’t eat anything until midday & had a raw carrot, a big stalk of celery & a hard-boiled egg, which I took about 20 mins to eat. It feels good to be trying something different, that seems to make sense. I’m in Tasmania, Australia & we’re just coming out of Winter. I would love to feel comfortable in bathers this Summer!

I am starting today, my first fast day of the week. I intend to do Monday and Wednesday as it gets it out of the way early in the week and I have the opportunity to change it around a bit if needs be. We are off on holiday to Turkey in 3 weeks’ time, so would like to shift a little before we go, but will be back afterwards to continue until I get to my goal weight. I have put on quite a bit of weight lately as hubby has been home from work ill – no excuse really, but he is back at work now so I can get on with my plans for weight loss. I will be 60 in January and I weigh 183lbs and need to get to around 158 – 160lbs to be happy with my weight. Good luck to everyone for a good 5:2 week

Just joined the 5:2 world of healthy eating. Never tried this before but feeling very sluggish and sitting down all day at work is just not helping. Time to regain my figure and feel fitter. Here’s to a new me 🙂

Actually, just weighed and I am 185.8 🙁

Disclaimer- the following is in a sing-song voice:

I lost 6.5 pounds in two weeks. I’m now under 10 stone. Oh yeah!

https://five2andme.wordpress.com/

Well, I used IF to mean intermittent fasting. Maybe I should have just said that I was going to start my fast day tomorrow–which is now today!! I am curious though, did you buy the book or are you just counting calories, i.e., 500 for your fast day?

Oh…and congratulations on your successful weight loss! I’m trying the 5:2 first but like you, if necessary, will switch it up to the 4:3 if necessary.

I haven’t bought the book, although I might in the future.

I combed over all topics in this forum before I began and I felt like I had enough information to get me started. I make sure that I am under 500 calories on my fast days. The first week I ate whatever I wanted on the other days and I had such good results it motivated me to watch what I eat even on my feed days – I still have sweets, but everything in moderation.

1st day- lost 1kg- didn’t struggle, woke up next day, feeling great! A very good start.

Hi just ending my first week and lost 1.1 lbs….sorry I’m old school so don’t equate to metric !
    I struggle with weight and as I am only 5 feet tall and 57 I am now worrying about my health.
    So 5:2 here I come ! I’m on holiday next week but hoping to do lots of swimming to kick start the exercise part of the dieting.

Hi all! Completed my first fast day yesterday and surprisingly it went very well. I wasn’t going to weigh this morning but I couldn’t help it so I stepped on the scale and happily lost some weight–I know it was only water weight and “bloat” from the weekend but it sure was pleasant to see that number on the scale down. I’m stoked to continue on with this program. And like some of the others, I wasn’t even real hungry this morning but I did eat a light breakfast. I think I will play around with if and when I have my first meal after the fast day. Yes, I feel energized today! For all those just getting started too, you can do it and we will all be lighter in the weeks to come!
    Have a wonderful day!

Well done Cate, nanna and Linderly!

Hi everyone:-)
    Congratulations on all of your successes so far. I guess I’m not really new, just returning. I have a long history with various diets. I used to do 5:2 many moons ago and the scales didn’t budge, yet I went down a jeans size. I should gave just stuck with it but I get bored and start messing. I then read a book called wheat Belly and there began my spiral into strangeness. I would up going very low Carb, and cutting out all sugar including fruit sugars, and eating lots of fat. Now there is nothing wrong with fat, in fact I disagree with low fat diets it is an essential nutrient, but when I started eating pats of butter on their own it was time to question what the heck I was doing.
    So I quit that, over Christmas too and gorged myself on sugar and cars. I got away with very little weight gain luckily. I then went on holiday for 2 weeks and gained 6lbs, as you do, and embarked on a fitness regime that was quite high impact. Did my ankle in. I was off work for a month, couldn’t exercise couldn’t even walk to the corner shop. I was miserable and found comfort in easter eggs and takeaways. By the time I got back to work after needing lots of physio, my uniform was very tight. I got on the scales and was disgusted to see that I’d gained 16lbs. I joined slimming world on recommendations from friends and I loved the idea behind it, but I only lost 3lbs. After I while I wasn’t comfortable with how low fat it was and came off it.
    Then I read Varadys book and rewatched Dr Moseleys documentary. Decided to dive right in with ADF. loved it at first! Loved that I could eat whatever i wanted every other day and still lose weight. I wasn’t even exercising and I lost 5lbs in the first 3.5 weeks. Then I joined the gym because I wanted to get strong and gave muscles and I’ve not lost an ounce since.
    Had some unexpected minor surgery a couple of weeks ago and haven’t really fasted since. I did one fast day, then attempted another to make it b2b but failed. First time I’ve failed a fast. I figured my body needs the cals to heal so I ate.
    Today is my first proper fast day. I’m starting from scratch. I’m starting on 5:2. ADF is too hard to keep going long term, even though in the first couple if weeks it feels like you’ll want to do it forever.
    Sorry for the essay! Good luck everyone x

Just started today weigh 71 kg will be happy to lose between 1or 2lb a week

Thanks for the welcome Amy. I’m busting to do my next fasting day, which will be tomorrow. I noticed that I ate more than usual yesterday, after my first day’s fast, but none of it was snacking, just more “real food” at meal times. Woke up not feeling as energetic as I did after a day’s fasting. I’ll eat normally today(about 1400cals)
    I feel that this will work for me. All the best everyone!

Well done everyone with your progress! I’m coming towards the end of week 2, it’s a fast day for me today – I feel like I need it as it has my previous fast day was day 1. Fingers crossed I have lost some more of those pounds. I don’t feel any lighter – needless to say I am going to do the 4:3 from tomorrow ifmy weekly weigh in isn’t good.

I am a (very!) mature student so I return to uni in 2 weeks. I have gained over a stone since I have been off over the summer. I’m a bit annoyed at myself really. Anyway onwards and upwards – at least it’s great to read about everyone’s experiences here.

Just looked out the window it’s raining again – good old UK summers. Where is everyone else from? I always think if I lived somewhere warm all the time I’d be really motivated with exercise as I would be outside all of the time.

Anyway I will update on my weigh in in the morning. Enjoy your day everyone ☔️

Morning everyone

Poppet-Pandy – raining here too in the West Country! I’m back to work next week after 6 weeks off, so that will be a shock to the system.

Good luck tattoolover – hope your first day went well.

Bit of a hiccup for me, husband home on holidays and he says you’ve got to enjoy yourself, so rather than 5:2 this week and overindulging at the weekend, I’m doing 16:8 for a few days.

I’ve was annoyed with myself for not doing 5:2 but will just enjoy this week and get back on track next week at work. Please give me a push in the right direction later. 🙂

Just catching up with everyone’s updates. This is my 2nd FD and so far so good. Monday was my first FD, and it wasn’t too bad, but I found it difficult to sleep that night. Yesterday I wasn’t very hungry at all which surprised me, and ate very little compared to what I would have eaten before! Scales are looking favourable, but I am going to resist weighing again now until I do my 3rd week’s fast before we go to Turkey. Its a lovely sunny day here today in West Cornwall, makes a change, and I do believe the weather has a great influence on my mood, so its a good day to fast!

Congrats on everyone’s fast days.

Tattoolover I too did low carb after watching a video by dr eric westman and it never worked for me as I always stayed the same. Tried it two times and thought to my self I cant do this for the rest of my life so stopped it.

I work for a school and about the time school ended I stopped low carb and didnt count calories during summer. Summer came along with summer work of moving furniture and cleaning floors in order to wax them. By the time we quit in late July I gained 20 pounds. I started 5 2 a few weeks ago.

Well, coming to the end of my 2nd fast day, and jumped on the scales – they show a loss of 6.4lbs, so well pleased with that. I know its just the initial loss and it will be a good one and I don’t expect that every week, but its a lovely little boost to start me off. Next weigh in will be in two weeks time x

Well done CPR! Thanks a great start. I have my fingers & toes crossed for a loss tomorrow. It’s very exciting!

Thanks Cate, good luck for tomorrow x x

Hi everyone,

Starting my first fast tomorrow. I lost a pile of weight last year by fasting during the day a few days during the week, and eating one meal at night, and eating normal calories on other days. But there was never really any plan to stick to which is why I think I messed up and gained weight again. I haven’t gained all of it back……yet! So that’s why I decided to start the 5:2 from tomorrow. I’m always very busy at work so I’m hoping that fasting won’t be too much of an issue. I usually skip breakfast anyway, but end up eating lots of calories on lunch breaks because I’m not organised and therefore buy my food out. Then I feel disheartened and eat more and more at night.

Hopefully with a plan to stick to, and some weight loss buddies, I will lose the weight I gained, plus a few more. I have 20pounds to lose altogether!

Hi all

I started the 5:2 plan yesterday. I am on a fast day today and tomorrow and finding it ok so far (not sure what I will be like by tonight though)

For my fast day I am making a strawberry and banana smoothie for breakfast, a ham and cheese toaster with lettuce and cucumber for lunch and swede and cabbage soup for tea. I also have an exercise app which I am doing everyday and I am going out for walks with my 2 boys. I also have a Fitbit so I can track my calories burned, steps taken and miles walked. This has been really helpful since I purchased it back in May.

Good luck everyone and will post my weight loss next Wednesday morning ?

Hi everyone

Well the end of the second week and weigh day for me this morning. I didn’t loose anything at all this week just the 5lb last week. It’s a bit disappointing I must admit. I do really well on the fast days. On the other days I’ve stopped counting my calories so pretty much anything goes so herein lies the problem. To many calories on my non-fast days. Why do I fool myself that I can eat what I want on these days?!

I think I will do the 4:3 however we have are in the lakes for a long weekend with a day at the races and I don’t want to be restricted so I’ll do the 5:2 this week and be stricter on the ‘normal’ days. It’s mad but I feel more healthier, motivated and lighter on the fast days.

Well done CPR on your loss. The sun makes me feel better too and it’s sunny here today. I am sure it would suit me to emigrate to Australia then I would be motivated to be slim all the time.

Good luck for the long weekend everyone.

Just wondering how you’re doing. I, too, am looking to lose 10 lbs.– the forever 10!
    I’m on day 4 of the diet, with today being my second fast day of the week. (Monday was my first.). Today seems a bit more difficult than Monday was but I’m determined to see it through. Have lost 3 lbs. so far this week but know it’s water weight. Trying to keep my calories to 1200 on the other days. So, hope you are being successful.
    Just wanted to connect because sometimes when you say you only need to lose 10 lbs., people don’t realize it’s as big a struggle (maybe bigger) than one who need to lose tens of pounds. Have a great day!

Likewise Linderley I need to lose about stone. It’s the difference between fitting in my clothes or not. I won’t buy bigger sizes I just feel uncomfortable in my clothes. Mad really. It’s going well so far and next week it will be IF for me – it might speed things up a bit.

Have a great weekend everyone. MM says that some weeks there isn’t any loss, but to hang on in there as it will soon settle down to regular losses. I am just trying not to go too mad on my eating days.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Just finished reading the 5:2 fasting iBook to inspire me to start losing weight.
    Just returned from a 2 week break and getting myself out of the weekly pressurised working routine it suddenly struck me how much weight i had/was putting on.
    In addition feeling brain fuzzy and unsure whether this is due to my age, coming up to 50, weight gain, stress or all three.
    I want to lose up to 3 stone and have a goal to be on my way to this by end of January when I have a beach holiday booked.
    Thinking of trying the 4:3 to begin with then if I have difficult weeks can always rely on 5:2.
    Be glad of any support to keep me on the straight and narrow ?

Karin, you will receive great support from lots of fasters, but let me suggest that you work with the proven 5:2 to start with, until you become familiar with how it works for you, and how you react to this way of eating. Once you have done that, you can certainly tinker with the regime. Remember always how long it took you to get to your current weight, and know that losing will take time. Best of luck.

Good advice from Barata, its best to follow the guidelines initially x x Good luck x

Thanks Barata &CPR
    The saying ‘walk before you can run’ comes to mind so I will take your advice and stick to the 5:2 and see how I get on.

The saying “One year from now you’ll wish you started today” has really struck me. I think it’s a great way to look at this way of life. Most people tend to lose a pound a week after the initial water weight is gone, so that would be 52 pounds in a year. When you start looking at it that way, the journey is very possible, no matter how much you weigh.

Of course there will be setbacks – vacations, holiday parties, weeks where the scales won’t move, or even go up, but with baby steps it will happen.

Well said Amy, I am hoping for an average of 1lb a week, slow and steady is the best way forward to me I think. I’ve tried too many drastic diets, and now I just want to enjoy my days of food without any guilt involved x

“The Fast Diet” book is really interesting. I think I can make this work for me. Tuesday and Thursday would be the best fast days for me, so this coming up Tuesday, the diet will begin for me. In addition to taking my body measurements, calculating my BMI and making note of my weight and body fat percentage, I’m going to have a blood test done so that I can know some of the other key factors that Michael Mosley mentioned in the book. Hopefully this diet will be a positive change that shows on the inside and outside.

I plan on a Tuesday/Thursday fast. Is that too close together, or does it matter as long as the days are not consecutive?

That’s fine Sophie – I do mine on Monday and Wednesday

Thanks Amy! How long have you been on the Fast Diet?

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply.