Any Newbies out there?

This topic contains 139 replies, has 57 voices, and was last updated by  Happychick 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 140 total)

• Hi everyone!

I just started 2:5 this week and am already seeing the scales go down! I even started a blog today so I could document my journey, take before and after pictures, and try to hold myself accountable.

So far, so good!

How are you finding it?

Hi! Im in week 3 of a 82kg – 75kg journey, presently at around 80kg. So far going ok. I dont feel too sorry for myself on fast days (up until about 9pm :-)) my strategy for fast days is oats, soup and rye bread. Weird bc on non fast days i avoid carbs, but i find these rough carbs keep me full. Weekends obv difficult when an event is on but this has to be a marathon not a sprint 🙂

Hi. I started this week and lost 3 1/4lb. Realise some will be water but haven’t lost properly for ages. Looking forward to another fast day tomorrow.☺

Hi All.

I’m very new literally just filled in info about email etc and discovered my BMI etc, feeling a little apprehensive, but, so happy I’ve finally started the process.

Yey 🙂

Hi, I started this diet on Wednesday, on the advice of my consultant. I’ve done one fast day so far, been really careful about everything I eat and drink and exercised every day. I weighed myself this morning and I’ve lost 3lbs! I know this won’t be a walk in the park and fast days are hard, but it’s got to be worth it to have the chance of a longer, healthier life right?

I’m glad its working out so well for everyone!

My official weigh in will be tomorrow morning, which will mark one week since I started. I think I will have lost at least 3 pounds 🙂

Hello,
    I started 2 1/2 weeks ago on this journey to a new way of living. I really don’t mind that it is going to be a long distance race/crawl (I have about 90 lbs to lose)as long as it is permanent and I have learned along the way that I am worth being healthy… And I have learned what it takes to become healthier and that it becomes so second nature to me just like breathing.

I have lost 8 lbs so far. I will not check the scale every day as I full well know doing so makes me neurotic. I look forward to fasting days. I don’t eat until late afternoon and am also trying to keep what I eat to a certain time frame to really feel the full benefits of fast days. I have found in just this short time that my appetite has decreased dramatically as well as my desire for sweets has nearly all gone away. Food flavors oddly enough too seem to be more pronounced and I am really enjoying their natural tastes. Anyone else notice this???

Well I am looking forward to this new adventure.

Hi everyone
    You are all doing so well. Unlike myself. I am on day 5. My intention was to wait for a week to weigh myself but I ‘felt’ slimmer so I stood on the scales. I have actually put 2lb on?! I was a bit gutted tbh. Anyway I completed 1 fast day on Friday which I stuck to rigidly. I did spread out my 500 cals over the day so I am now wondering whether I should just eat later in the day. On day 3, a non fast day I did go over my TDEE by about 300 cals – I added up all my calories at the end of the day – I prob should do this as I go along so I know where I am.. I have been more active, I have been sticking to my TDEE on the other days so I’m a bit annoyed.

I’m starting a fasting day today and I am wondering if I should change the times I eat. What works best for everyone else?

hello all ….i have just joined x

Hang in there Poppet-Pandy! There are plenty of people who take a little time for their bodies to adjust, or need to tweak things a little to get it to work for them. Stay strong, and don’t give up. You will get there.

Welcome, mwahh.

When I weighed myself this morning I had lost 3.5 pounds, so very happy so far.

Hi everybody. I am new today. I am 64 years old and had spinal surgery in April so am a bit restricted in my exercise. The fast days really worry me because my husband is doing all the shopping and most of cooking.
    My silly cocker spaniel is pleased I can now take her for walks but she’s not too happy about the walks only being 1 mile. Would love to hear what your favourite meals are . Wish my luck .

Hi – have also just started – inspired by friend who has lost three stone on this diet. Good luck!

Thank you AmyLamey. I am definitely going to hang in there. I think I need to ‘watch’ my eating habits on my non-fast days. I needed to change my eating habits and yesterday I managed to do that. It’s funny though I do feel better in myself generally, more motivation and energy. I’m off to dig my daughter’s garden soon or should I say push the wheelbarrow! It all helps burning those calories.

Welcome to the new people – good luck with your new way of eating.

Hi all, I recently started the diet.5 weeks ago but two separate weeks of that were holiday where it was eating out and drinking lots! However, despite this I have lost 6 lbs and am thrilled with the new regime. Having tried many diets over the years I am sick of counting syns and calories every day and having to deny myself all the things I love!

The friend who was an inspiration to me having lost loads of weight on the 5:2 persuaded me to go to aqua fit last Thursday and she talked me into swimming last night. This morning I ache all over, having got so unfit over the last couple of years but I am determined to get back in control of my life! I think this is a plan I can finally stick to and live with. I may be hungry today but tomorrow I can eat! No pain no gain people and I wish you all the very best 🙂

Howdy. I am a 49yr old single mum of a 14yr old. I live in Australia (just north of Sydney) and need to lose around 15kg’s. This has been my second attempt at 5:2 and this time I am sticking with it. I have just finished my 2nd FD (I do Mon and Tues)and feeling OK if not a little hungry. This is my 6th week and so far have only lost about 0.5kg. I haven’t measured for a couple of weeks though so will do that after I weigh in tomorrow morning.It is still winter here though getting warmer so I haven’t been doing a lot of exercise but am getting into the right frame of mind to start my walking again (or intermittent training)
    Nice to meet you all – here’s to lots of kg’s pr lbs lost to all of us!

Hiya! Just joined after my boyfriend watched Michael Moseley’s documentary on iPlayer. I work shifts so am going to try to do my fast days on my days off, which are usually consecutive. Anyone out there do consecutive fast days?

I’m 21 have a good 4 stone to lose, but have a target of losing 2 stone and seeing how I do and how I feel. I’m hoping this will be the diet for me. I am short and so the weight I have on my looks more than usual because of my height.

Need to get planning my fast days food wise so that I stick to it!
    Hope everyone is doing well so far 🙂

just joined a couple weeks ago. If you have any blogs please share them if they are public.

Hi all! So yesterday was week 3 for me and fast day 6 is dead and buried. On the scale this morning 79.1 kg (174 pounds, 12.4 stone) which is the lowest in a while. I started August 1st at 81.8 kg (180 llb, 12.8 stone)so its coming off slowly. Bloody well better considering how tough a fast day can feel after “dinner” at around 7pm 🙂 My strategy for fast days is still rough oats/healthy cereal and soups. The rough oats, water and cinnamon is as exciting as it sounds, but my “prison food” keeps me from feeling like I’m starving all day. 🙂

Now I have to navigate that tricky weekend of restaurant food.

What do other people eat on fast days and do you get super hungry at points in the day?

If I eat early dinner then Ill be hungry for the fast day, I try to save up my calories and eat them all for dinner the next day. Ive had Chuck steak, green beans and new potatoes and it was a lot of food.

Ive had a smart one and a picsweet Tuscan veggie box for around 300 calories for all of it too.

Good luck everyone.

Have my first obstacles – was going to start my Day 4 fast today but have now been invited out for a meal tonight and tomorrow a lunch thing – this doesn’t normally happen! Oh and Friday drinks!

Do I save myself for the meal tonight (not sure of calories but will choose carefully) or try a Fast Day tomorrow and watch what I eat at lunchtime?

Btw, enjoying 5:2 – makes you realise you can make good food choices and still have a treat. 🙂

Hi Newbie also!
    40 year old mum of 2 young children (ages 6 & 2). This is my 1st time trying the fast-diet so feeling motivated! Managed to reach my happy weight whilst on Maternity leave with my son (benefit of breast feeding!) but since returning to work last September the weight has just crept back on. I have tried other well known weight loss programmes without success. I have 16kg to loose. So using myfitnesspal (annietastic23) and fitbit (https://www.fitbit.com/user/3J7B8H) to log everything have been pretty good the last few days. If anyone uses myfitness pal or fitbit I have put my ID’s – more motivation! Today is my 1st fast day and so far feeling good! Good Luck to All! xxx

Hi everyone. Looks like you are all doing well. I’m on a fast day today. I started day 5 as a fast day but then went out for tea do decided to change my day. I really like the flexibility. I am going to weigh myself in the morning so fingers crossed something has come off after putting on 2lbs the other day.

I tend to spread my 500 cals out over the day. Today I’ve had a slice of wholemeal toast for breakfast then I will have a low fat yogurt for lunch and m&s cajun chicken with some salad for dinner.

After reading bneg123’s post I watched Michael Moseley’s documentary which has motivated me more. Not only did he loose weight but it seems to stop the onset of diseases such as dementia and diabetes. I have picked up from that to maybe have more protein on the fast days rather than carbohydrates. Would it be more effective to eat certain foods on fasting days?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that The Fast Diet mantra is: ‘Mostly Plants and Protein’ – so seems yes more protein and veg on fast days! I am also spreading my cals out over 3 meals and not snacking! Drinking tons of green tea and water! xx

Thankyou – seems logical. I think I have myfitnesspal I’ll have a check – good idea to log everything. I feel like this diet can become a way of life.

I believe it can too. I just found some green tea my wife bought a while back going to try some today with my 6th fast.

A also love the flexibility of 5:2 – that’s why I decided to try it.

I agree that protein and veggies are the way to do it on fast days – it makes me feel like I can have so much more. There are so many veggies that you can have a serving of for under 50 calories! I love myfitnesspal for tracking it.

Has anybody completed their first week yet? What were your results?

I lost 3 pounds in my first week (at one point I was down almost 4 pounds, but went a little too crazy on my feed days…)

Hi 🙂
    I have tried the fast diet a few months ago and got on really well. I would like to start again but I feel like I work all the time and I’m a really fussy eater so struggle to find stuff and just end up pigging out a lot and I have any energy to do exercise can someone please help with any ideas Id be very grateful 🙂

Maybe buy frozen meals that you like in advance around the calories allowed if you eat them all at once like I do.

Planning ahead it a huge help. If you know exactly what you’re going to eat on a fast day, and already have the ingredients on hand, you’ll find it a lot easier than making it up as you go.

Hi

My first week is over and I have lost 5lb??. I am really pleased after my mid-week weigh in when I’d put on 2lbs. It has given me the incentive to carry on. I had a fast day yesterday and have started the new week with a fast day. I don’t actually feel hungry on fasting days – it’s just the cravings which are a pain. However when you know it’s only a day it’s not soooo much easier.

Is it better on the result on the scales to leave a fasting day until day 7? Just wonder if it makes a difference.

5lbs is incredible! Well done!!!

My fast days are Monday and Wednesday, and my “official” weigh in is every Monday. My lowest weight for the week tends to be on a Thursday morning, after my second fast, and I put a tiny bit back on across the rest of the week.

So, I think that the day after fasting you might get a slightly better number on the scale if you are anything like me, but it’s not going to affect your overall weight loss.

Having my fast days earlier in the week means there is plenty of room later in the week for another one, if I mess one up or get invited for drinks etc. It’s the most beneficial way for me to approach it, but everyone is different, and the wonderful thing about this diet is its flexibility so you can fit it to what works best for your lifestyle.

Today is my first day, it is a little intimidating I have to admit. I don’t want to disappoint myself, so I am really trying hard to stay positive and read all of the positive post!

Today is my first day again…. I was on this diet earlier on in the year but fell off the wagon after I lost my dad to Dementia. So here we go again, trying to stay positive and looking forward to the future.

Welcome ladies, and good luck!

I’ve found that these forums have been great for tips, tricks and staying motivated. I hope they help you out too.

Let us know how the first week goes – from what I hear it’s the hardest.

Great tip about doing the fast earlier in the week so there is the option to change it if something comes up – thanks. I like to have the weekends of as that’s when I tend to eat out etc.

Good luck to everyone who has just started.

Thanks Poppet!

Also, newbies, another thing that I have found helpful so far is blogging. I’ve always been pretty big on journaling, and I really wanted to track my progress and be able to look back on it when I’m having a rough week, or can’t think of anything to cook.

I’m only in my second week, so I don’t have very much up yet, just a couple of recipes, and one weigh in, but if you want to check it out, here it is: https://five2andme.wordpress.com/

If any of you decide to start up the hobby, let me know, because I would love to check your blog out. I tend to get a little lost in there forums, and its a great way to check out one person’s journey.

I also just started today, and am excited to see what changes will happen on this journey!

Welcome, Lennylaalaa. Let us know how your first day goes!

Hi everyone! I’m the latest newbie. My story is that I only want to lose 10 pounds. But,its the same 10 pounds I’ve been trying to lose for 5 years. And it may not sound like much, but all my clothes are tight and I hate it. I do most things right, except get enough exercise. But I’m a careful eater. So that’s why its hard for me to lose that last 10…I already know what’s bad to eat and I don’t eat it. So I’m hoping that this 5,2 diet, along with the ‘fast exercise’ that Dr. Mosley recommends, I’ll finally lose it. Today is my first fast day. It’s been rough since I can only have 365 calories according to the calculator. But I’m hoping it will all be worth it.

Just curious, is anyone noticing any memory improvement since I heard that fasting helps with the brain too?

Hi
    Great to read all the stories from fellow newbies. Just done my third FD, been on the diet 8 days and lost 3lb.

Poppet have found that protein and salad works great for me to help me feel like I’ve eaten something of substance. Have also found that eating slowing and chewing my food really well helps too…..good luck everyone

Hey thanks Hazeyamazey. I think I will stick to the protein and salad or veg. I am surprised how much I enjoy my food on the fasting days – I appreciate what I eat more.

Welcome newbies! Svpwannabe – my TDD says I should only have about 400 cals but I’m sticking to the average 500 to see if it is effective. I can’t say my memory has improved on this diet, I have spent most of the evening looking for bank cards. I searched high and low. Eventually I found them under the cushions on the sofa!

Hi, I have been doing 5 2 since July 6th and have only lost 4-5 pounds. I do fluctuate a bit too. I stick to 500 on my fast days but on my non fast days i do ok, some days not so great. Im sure that is the reason why.

I want to know what do you guys typically eat on non fast days? do you restrict your calories to a certain amount? I started eating around 1200 on my non fast days this week and i do exercise at least 3-4 days a week for an hour. I was also debating on doing the 4 3 diet to help speed up the process.

Tomorrow is my first fast day. So excited! Food is all planned and prepped. I cannot wait to start feeling better!

You will love it Jeannagirl! i do feel better on it and i know this is something i can do for the rest of my life.

Hi everyone and good luck. This is only my second week and I have done 3 fasts so far – the 4th fast has got postponed due to meals out, which I don’t normally have! I have lost 3 1/4lb so far. 🙂

I am also trying to lose the same 10lbs and get below 10 stone. My TDEE at the moment is 1739, which would make my fast day around 434 calories. I have read here and in the book it is best to stick to 500 calories per day.

On non-fast days I have gone below TDEE but it varies from 1100, 1400 or even 1600 and one day I did go over by 200 calories! (I ran on treadmill after that day!).

Protein and salad is great and homemade veg soup helps – my favourite is butternut squash.

Good luck again. 🙂

Back again! Always interesting information on this forum – just read you should work out your TDEE on one level lower than your current activity. I had mine on lightly active as I walk loads (got a Fitbit) and occasionally run. I do feel I could be more active so have calculated my TDEE on the lower level which gives me 1529. I think I will try this after the weekend!

Hi all, I consider myself’new’, though have done this plan for 6 weeks: 3 weeks on, 2 weeks away on holiday and a week back on, and I can honestly at that it’s fantastic! I love it! I didn’t have a lot to lose – maybe 3 -4 kg, the first fast day was awful: tired, headache, bad-tempered, but after that I really have found it so easy. The main thing that impresses me is the results. Whilst I’ve lost a little weight, what has gone has been fat. My shape is so much more even. And I feel so great. If anyone needs encouragement, there’s plenty to be found. I’ve found that doing 2 consecutive fast days and linking with MFP works well for me.

Hi everyone. I just started last Monday and have done the Two days with great results of a 2.5kg loss (after second fast day). I did find day 1 very hard and a bit better on Thursday as I didn’t exercise. I have eaten breakfast with a minor fruit snack midday and then dinner. I do find myself a little dizzy at times and worry about this especially if I need to pick up kids from school etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I will try eating my first meal as late as possible next time.

Tiny me – in my (short) experience, NO day is as hard as the first! Every single fast day since the first 2 has been easy – in fact, enjoyable, which makes me feel a bit weird to be honest. Day 1 was absolute hell though, I really didn’t think I’d make it but please do persevere -it’s worth it.
    Serenity -interesting concept but not sure of the point in the TDE if you calculate it that way but I suppose the thing about this is it’s what suits individuals isn’t it?
    Svpwannabee – definitely no improvement in my memory, in fact if anything it’s been worse, which I could really do without!
    I get through fast days by eating as late as poss and sticking to protein and veg like most. Good luck all, I find sharing experience on the forums encouraging.

Thanks Maggie 13. I appreciate the response!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply.