Another newbie from Scotland

This topic contains 57 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  chtika 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 58 total)

• Dear All,

Excited to be starting this (again – how I fell off the wagon) next Monday so the next few days are for planning and preparing.

Any fellow Scots out there?

Hi and welcome EllieD!

good luck on your journey, and happy fasting 😉

Thanks Angie. Aiming to start on Monday’s return to work – should help keep my mind off the hunger and anticipated headache!

Happy Fasting to you also.

Thank you EllieD!

Good luck on Monday, try and drink lots of water if you can, even black coffee, herbal teas, these helps with the headaches 🙂

Angie x

Nope no Scot here, just planning on travelling there soon! And there’s a Scotsman living in my room as long as I’m abroad, does that count? 😉

Let us know how you get on!

Hi Ellie, fellow Scot here from Glasgow, Happy New Year! Im new today also, going to start this coming Monday too after falling off the wagon over Christmas and Hogmanay 🙁 Onwards and downwards eh 😉

Awful weather and lack of daylight doesn’t help, does it? Good luck for Monday and the rest of next week.

Ellie

Hi I’m a Scottish newbie as well – just joined. I’m starting on Monday and can’t wait to get going. I’m nervous and excited at the same time. I love food and eating so I’m nervous about the fast days – but after reading all the success stories I’m excited about feeling healthier and losing weight.

Karen

Good luck for Monday Karen. Also feeling rather nervous but rather looking forward to it. Made an enormous pot of veg soup yesterday in preparation. The first day will be the hardest but work should help to keep the mind off it. Off we go!

Hi Ellie, I’m new here but not to fasting, and we moved up to the south west of Scotland last year and loving every minute!

Try not to feel nervous, it’s really great doing it and I wish I’d had the support of this site before – makes it even easier I’m sure. Living here though and the other dietary restrictions I have mean I’m buying a lot of food over the internet! There doesn’t seem to be too many around here open to new ideas…

Another Scot here ….hi! I’ve been offline (and, I confess, off the wagon, for the last week as I’ve been away – in a no broadband, rubbish mobile signal area.
    Climbing back aboard now and tomorrow is one of my fast days which I’m really looking forward to.

Quite a few of us then.

bygones hopefully you’ll meet some kindred spirits, there are a few of us open to new things. Am originally from the
    South west, in Ayrshire, now in the north east.

Happy fasting to all for tomorrow.

Ellie

Hi another fellow Scot coming on board. Am starting tomorrow! Ellie, I am the opposite, from the east and now in the south west!

It can be hard to stay motivated when its so dreich outside just now! But bring it on!!!

Good luck to those starting tomorrow!

Jayne

Hi everyone and good luck with your fast day on Monday. I’m not from Scotland, but sure wish I were there. 🙂 I look at websites from Scotland and day dream abut when I win the lottery. LOL.

welcome and looking forward to hearing how everyone does. Phyllis

Hello everyone!

I am also new, but not from Scotland (I am from Norway with a family name that originates from Ramsey – maybe that should count for something?). I am extremely excited about this and I have spent the most of a couple of nights and days reading me up on the science. I am convinced this will work.

I was a bit shocked today (my first day) though: 600 cals is NOT very much. At lunch I had some dry bread (rye crisp bread) with cheese and turkey slices, with a glass of skimmed milk. 300 cals! I think it is very important to be very careful with eating on the fast days and count the calories thoroughly. And cheese has a LOT of calories.

Good luck to you all! Look forward to heasring how everyone does.

Kalle

Hi Ellie

I haven’t even popped up my own newbie post yet but also a fellow 5:2er from Scotland.

Just started 5 days ago!

Good luck 🙂

How’s the first day gone for everyone? I’m feeling pretty good, had a salad for lunch and veggie soup for dinner, lots of fluids during the day. Feeling empty rather than hungry, and less of a headache than I anticipated. Kept myself busy after I got in from work, now just over an hour until bedtime. Not sure about falling asleep feeling hungry though!

Hope you’re all doing well today and surviving our lovely weather with no flooding.

Ellie

I didn’t do too badly. Had melon at lunchtime and a veggie soup for dinner. It didnt bother me skipping breakfast but am feeling it more now. I am a bit of a night owl and usually work nightshifts so reckon I’ll need to reset my body clock to beat the evening munchies. On the plus side I did go through cupboards and fridge and chuck out anything that might tempt me! Am going to try some herbal tea before bed to help me off to the land of nod! Have one with valerian in it so that should help!!!

Tomorrow will be interesting as dont want to go mad and end up eating junk!! lol!

Which other days are folk planning to fast, the next one I think will suit me this week is Thursday.

Hope everyone had a good day!
    Jayne

Hi everyone!
    I’m in Scotland..
    Started first day today!.. Along with first day back in work.
    Had porridge and an apple for lunch. Then chicken stir fry for dinner.
    Had several cups of detox tea and an earl grey and vanilla.
    Felt very hungry by 10.30.. As used to having breakfast. But had a banging headache all day and it’s just gone(had to take some ibuprofen) and I’m now in bed ready to sleep!
    Was the first day of my period as well(!) so dont think that helped!
    I was worried about feeling hungry but would rather have that than a bad head!
    Hope it gets easier!
    Good luck everyone!

Hi Jayne I’m also from Scotland had my first day today which went ok I think. My other fast day will be Thursday also. I’ve picked Monday and Thursday as they’re my busiest days.

Keep going

Karen x

Woo hoo…the Scots are taking over!!! Seriously – it’s nice to see so many of my fellow countrywomen here.

I’ve been 5:2 ing since the first week in November and up to xmas had lost 9lbs (in addition to the 36 I lost calorie counting) – I managed to gain 4lbs over the holiday period – stupidly eating for eating’s sake! I fast on Mondays and Thursdays and sometimes add in an extra day if I feel I need to. I also walk miles with my dog as often as possible.

@jainemac I had a blinding headache my first 2 fast days but haven’t had one since…I think it’s just our bodies adjusting.

Starting 5:2 is the best decision I ever made as not only am I losing weight (I have around 20lbs to go) but I feel healthier than I have done for ages. Being an old bird (I’m 67) being healthy is quite important 😀

Onwards and downwards…fast and lose!!

Fit like? I’m another lass from Scotland. Just started today. Did this last year and did well (lost 11 lbs in 6 weeks) but ended up eating the same stuff on fasting days and got bored. Have armed myself with 5:2 recipe book and will be using this forum for both ideas and support.
    Here’s to a slimmer and healthier 2014 for us all!! x x x

Hi everyone, yesterday went well for me just seemed to ease back into it after my wee sabbatical over Christmas (oops!) had soup around 12, then a ww meal dinner time calories came in at 495, today ive been cautious too as I was going OTT last time on this diet on the non fast days, so I feel more in control this time I know exactly how much Im eating all of the time, I know the point of the diet is to relax and not count 5 days of the week but Im one of those people who just binges, anyway Ive still eaten well today but sensibly, anyhoo, hope everyones doing well and feeling optimistic about keeping it up…..ps I found drinking sparkling water on fast days good for helping with any hunger pangs:)

Great thread, Ellie, thank you for starting it!
    Am Welsh-Scots and live in Norwich, and my mam’s family were kicked out of Ireland for stealing sheep so pretty much a British mongrel, heh. My heart will always be in the Highlands though… somewhere near where the road turns westward from Rannoch Moor into Glencoe to be precise 🙂

Folk are always rubbishing the Scots’ diet however most of the Scots folk I know are well informed and practical, therefore out go the faddy, expensive diets, in comes a manageable, cheap WoE!

Jayne06, I must keep a look out for that valerian herbal tea.

Aud x

And there was I thinking you were somewhere up in Scotland, aud. I’m still giggling over your Northern Irish ancestors with their propensity for acquairing other people’s sheep. It’s nice to have a bit of criminality in the family, I always think. With my East London ancestry – the parents never lived quite east enough to be real Eastenders – on bad days I wonder if I’m not descended from Jack the Ripper.
    Norwich is a lovely city. It’s one I would be happy to live in.

Love the sheep story. Apparently the ancestral black sheep in my family was ostracised for drinking too much of the family’s business produce -whiskey. The distillers stayed wealthy whilst the black sheep went out to found a famous Glasgow pub, but continued to drink the profits. Unfortunately am descended from the black sheep branch.

Everyone seems to be doing well. Been completlely knackered today on a non-fast day, early to bed for more fasting tomorrow. Strangely not particularly hungry or craving carbs.

Good luck to all for tomorrow.

Ellie

Not a Scot but live in Glasgow. Started the diet yesterday. Have found I am so hungry today! Woke up hungry and have had three proper meals and a few snacks and still hungry! Anyone else find that?

Second fast day of the week today. And thank goodness NO headache this time! Can cope perfectly well with a rumbly Tum! Had an apple and porridge just now.. So that should keep me going till this evening . Looking forward to the smoked haddock and poached egg!
    Don’t let feeling absolutely awful on the first fast day put you off! It’s worth it. Feel surprisingly full of energy today.
    Good luck everyone!

Hiev1 im another newbie from Scotland. Had two fasting days so far so still very new. Justhoping can keep it up!! X

Hope all your fasting days are going well.

Not been too hungry today on my fast but boy have I been tired. Tried to drink lots of fluids, not sure if it’s made any difference.

I guess this will get easier as I get further into it.

Everyone had a good day?

Ellie

Day 1 for this Teri.

Just finished reading the first few chapters of The Fast Diet and I’m sold partly because I know this sort of regime does work. Using The Paul McKenna method of only eating when your really hungry allowed be to drop from a dress size 26 to a comfortable size 14. I never weigh myself.

My motivation is I’m hitting the magical 50 soon and I want to be healthy in the coming years. (I hate doctors as well). Having read all the health benefits I’m in.

Hi to all the other newbies. I am also starting this Monday coming and I am excited to get going. I have just had my 50th birthday and I am getting married next year in Kefalonia and I want to look as beautiful as I possibly can for my partner and myself. CANNOT wait to get started…….x

Hi there to all the other newbies! I’m English (but living in Glasgow) and today is my first fast day. Hoping for some weight loss for general health reasons (but also because I’m getting married next year), and also to use this as a means to eating more healthily – I have an auto-immune condition called ITP (basically I attack my blood platelets, which are handy little things for clotting the blood so it’s not good to remove them as efficiently as I do!) and anything that reduces gut inflammation and promotes healther improvements generally has got to be worth a go!

How is everyone getting on? My first week didn’t quite go to plan. I had planned to fast again on Thursday but didn’t. Anyway the beauty of this is I am doing it today instead. So will see if hunger pangs are as bad as Monday! Have a busy day so am thinking I’ll fare better.

I did find a link to this site which has got some lovely 5:2 friendly recipes on it. I’m going to have a go at the chorizo soup later today.

Hope your week went well! Bring on week two!

Thanks for the link Jayne, it looks really useful for recipes.

I’m happy to say I’ve lost 5lbs this week which was the xmas gain of 4lbs plus 1lb….so definitely back on track!

Hi, I’m a Newbie from Glasgow. Since turn 50 (now heading turns 54, my body shape has change I’m gaining weight too quickly. If I don’t do something quick, I will need a new wardrobe !!!!! Now need to look at my eating habits. Being veggie not sure how this weight program will work for me. Also looking forward trying the fast exercise just ordered 5:2 diet and exercise books.

Good to read everyone experiences. Being a really foodie ….Wish me luck…….

Brilliant Sylvestra, well done, that’s great news! Keep going!

@devadog …welcome to 5:2

from what I read on here 5:2 works equally well for veggies – you might like to have a look at Amazon – there are a variety of books with vegetarian 5:2 recipes.

good luck – let us know how you are doing x

Thanks Sylvestra, I’ll check amazon out.

Hello everyone! I’m another newbie from
    Scotland 🙂 Just survived my first fast day today! It was easier than I expected and in some ways I really enjoyed it! What days do you fast? Good luck this week everybody 🙂 xx

Hi all another scot here just survived my first week. good luck to everyone.

So have survived my first week.

Good points: enjoying eating healthily, feeling in control, and absolutely no chocolate cravings
    Bad points: some days extremely tired (but may not be the diet), and had three solid days of migraine hopefully past now.

Weigh in tomorrow, will continue on three fast days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri), the remainder non-fasting sensible eating.

Hope you all have a good week!

Ellie

Woo hoo! First week down and weighed myself tonight and lost 6 lbs!! So chuffed.
    After the horrendous headache on day 1 things have definately improved. Feel hungry on the fast days but no further headaches! It really is amazing.. Just kept saying to myself.. You can eat what you like tomorrow! And it keeps you strong.
    Have just got the fast excercise book so thinking that Might try that as well.
    Good luck everyone.. Keep going it’s soo worth it.

Started my second week. Have decided to follow the advice of some who fast until the evening. Have got through the day with tea and coffee and an apple. Am disappointd to have lost only .9 kg in first week but did have a blow out on Saturday. So here is hoping the second week goes better. I seem to have a dry mouth all the time. Has anyone else found this? I am drinking loads of water

hi weighed myself yesterday after my first week and have lost 5lb so good going. on my second week now. good luck everyone and good luck EllieD on ur weigh in.

That’s great chtika.

I also lost 6lbs, and my work colleague who started at the same time as me lost 5lbs.

Pleased with this but still feeling oh so tired all the time, presume this will pass as my metabolism becomes more accustomed to much less refined carbohydrate.

Good luck to all the rest of the newbies!

E

Well done EillieD thats great.

Well done EllieD and Jainemac!

6lbs the pair of you! (More than I’ve lost in 10 weeks 🙂 )
    GO YOU BOTH! (and your work colleague EllieD)

FeeM, I fast Mon, Weds & Fri.

Good luck, devadog! I’m also a veggie and normally rely on carbs for my energy so I’m still eating them.

Oh and sylvestra? WAY TO GO!!! /

Thanks audrich. Well done everyone!
    Managed my second fast day today. It was fine! Keeping busy helped.
    I guess it will take a little while until I know which days will work best for me.
    Do you weigh yourself after the last fast of the week, or after seven days, or both?!
    Good luck everyone 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply.