Am I loosing weight too quickly?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Am I loosing weight too quickly?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  PeterC 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Hi,

I am a 30 year old woman and I’ve been doing the fast diet for 4 wks now and I have lost 12lb. I haven’t been doing any exercising (well apart from running around after my 19 month old) I just wanted to check if it’s this is ok as in being unsafe for my body?. I know the heavier you are the faster it comes off but I haven’t heard of anyone loosing this amount this soon. My start weight was 15 stone 13lb. I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance 🙂

I am a 57-year old man. I started at just over 21st last August and lost around a stone in the first month. I weighed in today at just under 16st. The weight loss has moderated over the weeks, but I have not yet experienced any stubborn plateaux. When you start a diet initial weight loss includes a certain amount of fluid; and you are right that heavier people lose faster than those with only a little to lose. But see your doctor if you have any concerns. Best wishes.

Wow Peter, that’s an amazing loss! Well done! Thanks for replying I feel a lot better now I know there is someone out there who is also loosing quickly. I was just a little worried as I never expected to loose This much so soon. I saw that a lady doing the 5:2 had lost 10lb in 8 months and I got a little concerned so I thought I would post on here. Thanks again. 🙂

Hi clare.muskett, I’ve been on 5:2 for coming up to 2 years soon and you’re fine. Your starting weight is just a bit more than mine was (I was about 15 stone I think, probably slightly over) and I lost about 18lb in the first 2 months. It slowed down dramatically after 3-4 months to the 1lb per week sort of level for a few months and then I had to start thinking about what I was eating on non-fastdays too and tweaking timings etc. to keep that level in sight for a few months more.

I’m now lucky if I lose 1-2lb per month but that’s fine as I’m only 1 stone away from my goal (10 stone) now and it can take another year as far as I care 😉

Looks like you made a great start clare.muskett, just don’t let yourself be disheartened as it starts to slow.

hi clare – I lost 11 lbs in my first 4 weeks, so I don’t think your experience is out of the ordinary. I do think you lose faster if you have more to lose. I started out at a bmi of over 33, so I had plenty to lose. I am now 20 weeks in and have lost 40 lbs total. These days I lose about 1 lb a week, sometimes less sometimes more. As TracyJ says, the loss will slow down, so don’t let that discourage you when it happens. It sounds like you’re off to a great start, congrats!

Kilda & Tracy well done on your amazing loss! You both have given me some very helpful info! Thank you. I know what to expect in the future! 🙂 I’m 5″8 I am currently a size 18, my goal weight is 11 stone and hopefully a size 14. When it slows down do you think exercising will keep the loss up to 2lb a week?

Do you guys having any advice for a newbie? Have you made any major changes aside from your fast days? I have about thirty pounds to lose to get to my pre-pregnancy weight and after week three I’m just fluctuating up and down by about five pounds (lower after fasting and higher after eating again) so I don’t feel like I’ve actually lost any weight. I’d love to have your success, thanks!

KateOnADiet – I try to follow a low-carb menu on the fast days. No bread, pasta, rice, sugar, cereals etc. Berries and yoghurt for breakfast, no lunch, chicken or salmon with non-starchy veg for dinner. My own theory is that 5:2 works because it creates a window in which insulin levels are allowed to fall. Insulin is instrumental in turning excess carbs into fat. Suppressing insulin by restricting both carbs and calories allows the reverse metabolic process to take place: liberating stored fat.

Thanks Peter! I’ve never considered going low carb. Do you eat normally on your non-fast days and just do no carbs on the fast days?

Initial weight loss is always the biggest, I’ve learnt this from being members of both slimming world.It is a case of your body being used to such a high calorific/fat content to it being given something completely different. I’m not a great weight but my body loses weight quite quickly – about 4lb a week for the first few weeks and now its about 1/2 a pound per week as my body has got used to it. Keep up the good work and well done 🙂

Hi All

I started on the 5:2 diet a week ago and so far it’s been going very well. I haven’t felt hungry and it wasn’t too hard to adjust my daily routine to the diet. I did a weigh in this morning and was pleased, but a little surprised by the results. Between last Tuesday night and today (Thursday morning) I’ve lost about 4KG (or just under 9 lbs), from a starting weight of 95KG (or 209 lbs). At 185 CM (or 6.1) tall I’m just a touch overweight and am looking to bring my BMI down into the ‘normal’ range.

So, this is over nine days total, three of them fast days.

My worry is that I’m loosing weight too fast at a rate that isn’t safe or sustainable. My understanding is that about 1-2 KG is the most one should loose a week?

I’m planning to check my weight again tomorrow morning before breakfast as this loss may be because my starting weight was on a non fast day and my weigh in was before breakfast the day after fasting? I also felt a little dehydrated this morning so I may have been low on fluid.

If anyone has had a similar experience or any advice I’d much appreciate hearing from them.

Many Thanks.

Many lose weight quickly at first, especially if the weight is higher. Even though you have only 20 lbs to lose, the rate will slow down pretty quickly.

Hi and welcome:

While your weight loss is large, it has been done before. Most of it is water. As you go forward your weight loss will slow considerably from 9 pounds a week!

So keep going and have fun. Here are some tips for those just starting 5:2: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

KateOnADiet – Sorry about the delay in my reply. I use a low-carb menu only on the fast days. This has the effect of running down the store carbohydrate in the form of glycogen and allowing the body to go into prime fat-burning mode as insulin levels fall off. Personally I think the body does need a regular supply of carbohydrate, but short periods of carb restriction I find beneficial.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.