A question for those 5:2 veterans…

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
A question for those 5:2 veterans…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Lizamor 10 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anyone who has moved from 5:2 to 6:1 and continued to lose? Or alternatively anyone couldn’t manage 5:2 so just did 6:1 and lose? Interested in people’s experiences! Thanks.

Hi:

Weight loss is a math game if a person has an accurate TDEE and is accurately counting calories. A person will lose weight under either 5:2 or 6:1 if they eat 5/600 on the diet day(s) and their TDEE or under on their non-diet days. They will just lose more slowly with 6:1.

Here is how the math works: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Thanks for that Simcoeluv!

I have been wondering the same myself, and thinking of switching to 6.1 soon!

🙂

I would like to know what folks do when they have reached their ideal weight? I want to maintain my weight now (especially as I have had to invest in a new wardrobe)!
    What happens if you continue with5:2 or should I reduce to 6:1?

Bump!

Any maintainers in here, or did you all stop using the forum once you got to your target? 🙂

Hi Lizamor,
    I think this is an interesting question. I am continuing with 5:2 at the moment because I do not feel fully confident of maintaining my new, healthy weight although do not want to lose any more. My husband, who has never been overweight, started with me to give moral support but had to drop to 6:1 because he got too skinny. My other thought is that this way of eating is supposed to have good effects on blood chemistry and so continuing at least with 6:1 makes sense. I also recognise that doing it for the last 8 months has retrained my appetite. It would be nice to see some long term study data….

I’m nowhere near my ‘ideal’ weight yet. To be honest I’m not aiming for the ‘chart’ version of ideal anyway, I’ll just be happy to be at a close but comfortably maintainable weight – I’m aiming for 10st ish. I still have over 1 stone to go but when I get there I think I will stay on 5:2 and just tweak my allowances. I currently allow myself more than the 500kcals on fastdays (probably more like 6-650) anyway and stay under my TDEE on non-fastdays. When I get down to 10stone (it may take quite some time at my leisurely pace) I intend to experiment on my non-fastday calories to find a level that will comfortably maintain my weight. That way my 5 days really can be ‘feast’ days if I like and I’ll still retain the full health benefits of 2 fastdays.

That’s the plan anyway. It will be some time before I get to try it out, so if any of you succeed on a maintenance model do let the rest of us know 😉

I’m hardly a veteran but due to occasional travel for work, it isn’t always convenient to fast twice in a week on my preferred days. When I fast twice a week, I lose weight. On the weeks I’ve only fasted once, then I maintain or the loss / gain is negligible.

This indicates to me that 6:1 would be maintenance mode for me. For some it might be 11:3 or 13:1 over a fortnight. The other benefits as outlined in the book (I’m assuming they work) mean that you should try to continue to fast on some days once you’ve gained your ideal figure.

Hi. Next week I will have been doing some form of 5:2 (6:1) for 12 months. I reached my target weight after about 6 months as I only really had 7 kilos to lose but it was the health benefits that I was particularly interested in. After about 6 months I switched to 6:1 because apart from the health benefits I really did feel better giving my digestion a break. In an odd way I also look forward to at least one day of strict self control. Everything tastes so much nicer and I feel so much more deserving after a day of deprivation.

I do what I call a ‘soft’ 2nd fast day on the Thursday where I am considerably under my TDEE but enough over my 500 to not be able to call it a ‘fast’ day. Whatever ‘mickey mouse’ combination I’ve concocted seems to be working for me as my weight has stayed within a kilo either side of my goal. If I were to creep up by much more ( but as a daily weigher that is unlikely) then I can just increase back to 5:2 without much trauma.

Obviously I must be eating slightly above my TDEE on my ‘feast’ days as I am not continuing to lose weight. This truly is long term and easy to maintain WOE for me now.

I think the reason there weren’t a lot of replies is that most of us haven’t reached that “ideal weight” yet. I’ve lost 27 lbs in 12 weeks, but still have at least 30 more to go. Currently I do 5:2 plus what Beach Baby refers to as a “soft fast day.” For maintenance (someday….!) my plans are exactly like Tracy J’s – I will keep having 2 fast days but will increase my calorie allowance a little on nonfast days to whatever amount lets me maintain.

Of course it’s also possible that I will eventually hit a permanent plateau on 5:2 (or 5:2 plus a soft fast day, what I sometimes to think of as 5:2 1/2) and thus my current regimen will become my maintenance.

Beach Baby and kilda: I do exactly the same, I eat just a slight bit more on one of my fast days. I guess you can call it 5,5:1,5 😛

Exited to see how it will work out, and really hope the health benefits will still be within reach.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.