A little discouraged

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  double happy 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Hi,

Need your advice if you don’t mind.

I started the fast diet the second week of january. I started on a weight that was bouncing between 71.5 and 72.0 kilo’s.

I weigh myself everyday but put my weight in a chart only on the morning after the second fast day that week.

Two weeks ago I weighed 69.9 kilo at my weigh-in day. One week ago I weighed 69.4 kilo. So far so good.
    Now today: I ‘suddenly’ weighed 70.1 kilo again! I am so disappointed. I actually could already feel it on the fast day. I wasn’t as hungry and could just feel my body wasn’t burning anything. Can’t explain it.

On my non-fast days I need normally. Normally for me means that I eat normal healthy meals during the week and in the weekend we eat the foods we like. Go out to restaurants and also have snacks in the evening. Like M&M’s and chocolate bars (the whole thing).
    I am aware that this could be better; but I started this whole diet with the idea in mind that I would only change my 2 days of fasting and otherwise continue fairly normally.

So; that said. What should I do?

Just for now I have added today as an extra fasting day in the hopes of losing the weight after all.

I do have a slow thyroid which makes it difficult to lose weight.

Please advice 🙁

Hi:

While you can’t eat more than your TDEE on your non-diet days and expect to lose weight, it is very possible to ‘do everything right’ and not lose for a couple of weeks. This was my experience: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Good Luck!

Eating ‘normally’ means different things to different people. If your ‘normal’ eating includes chocolate bars, M&Ms, loads of snacks etc etc then you are probably well over the calorie level that your body needs (your TDEE/Total Daily Energy Expenditure).
    If you exceed this on non fast days you will negate any benefits of fasting.

For example if your TDEE is 2000 – you eat 500 on each fast day = 1000, you eat 2000 on THREE of your non fast days =6000 and then eat loads of high calorie food and snacks on the other 2 days that could equate to 3500 per day easily =7000
    So your total calories for the week would be 14000 just the same as if you’d eaten your TDEE of 2000 calories on 7 days. So what is the point of fasting?

Using fast days to compensate and allow yourself to over indulge at weekends is self defeating.

Your slow thyroid may affect the time it takes to lose weight but it won’t stop you losing weight altogether if you follow the 5:2 plan.
    Weight loss isn’t an exact science and while we would all like to say we will lose x amount per week – it doesn’t work and weight can fluctuate by a couple of pounds in a day. It’s the overall trend that matters – not whether we have a gain in any one week.

xx

Spot on Sylvestra!

A lot of people on the forums say that they don’t want to count calories during non-fast days as it’s too much like a diet. The things is that if you don’t at least have an idea of what calories you are eating on those days you won’t know if you are going over your TDEE. I have found that after a while I don’t need to count them as much because I have more of an idea of how many I am eating.

The point of this WOE is that you can each what you like on your non-fast days but not as much as you like so you can still have your chocolate and stuff but you need to check how much you are having.

As simcoeluv says it is possible to do everything right and still not lose so then you get discouraged and want to give up. I’ve just had a couple of weeks with no loss and thought oh heck does this mean I have to give up my lager at the weekends because I am going over my TDEE? I haven’t done and have lost just over a pound this week. What I have been doing though is cutting back on a couple of non-fast days during the week to compensate for the extra calories I know I will have at the weekend.

It’s not easy but if you are determined to lose the weight it can be done. Good luck and keep at it! Linda

So this all makes sense , but as a newbie I must say that all the hype that got me going and buying the book kind of oversold the concept. Eat what you want on your non-fast day isn’t, of course, really true. Not counting calories on non-fast days was supposed to be the psychological reward that keeps you fasting!

But ‘eat WHAT you WANT’ doesn’t mean ‘eat AS MUCH AS you want’ – this could have been explained better in the book, I believe.

Counting calories is an aid when you first start out so you can see how much you should be eating. Anyone who has never thought about the calories in food is inclined to under estimate.

In everything you do, you need the right tools to help you do it and a calorie tracking app is just one of the tools.

xx

Not everyone counts calories on non-fast days and they lose weight – but they might have a very good idea of what a normal day should be for them. A few need to count meticulously or they lose nothing.

Others don’t lose anything for a couple or 4 weeks, and others lose rapidly, plateau quickly and then start losing again.

Some women gain/lose some fluid bloat with their monthly cycle (putting my hand up for 3-3.5kg) and others don’t.

Everyone’s experience is different. So you need to give it a couple of weeks to see how it’ll work for you. Remember this is a way of life, not a fad diet so having a long term goal is really helpful.

Some great advice here so far. The only thing I have to add is to plead with you to step away from the scales, weighing yourself every day is not a healthy way to do it psychologically. Your daily weight can differ by 3-4lbs and that can be very upsetting, especially when you see your weight go down considerably only for it to shoot back up on your proper weigh in day. I was a weight watchers leader for 2 years and I saw so many people give up because they weighed every day and got so upset by their (normal) daily fluctuations. Once a week is honestly the best way to get an accurate reading of what is going on. Also don’t just go by your weekly weigh in, take measurements weekly to see if you have lost inches. In my first 4 weeks I lost just a 1lb a week BUT overall I also lost 2.5 inches from my hips and 2 inches from my waist, it’s made a big difference to my shape.

Don’t give up, just tweak a few things and you will start losing I’m sure. Chocolate is a favourite of mine, but instead of high cal treats like full size bags of m&ms I have things like curly wurlys (115 cals) fudge (115) or small dairy milks (112). Nice chocolate hits I can have every day and still continue to lose.

MMmmmmmmm, chocolate…. now I’m thinking about it, but it’s a fast-day today 🙁

Sorry straR, but only 1 day till you can have some!

@strar ..altogether now SING…..

Tomorrow, tomorrow, there’s always tomorrow.
    It’s only a day away!!!

There…that’s better. 😀

xx

LOL someone suggested that song as The 5:2 Anthem!

Hi, Yes, this is the conundrum, isn’t it–if you don’t want to feel like you are on a calorie restrictive diet all the time and want to feel more “normal” on eat days then some of that “normal” can be too much and impede your weight loss from the fasting days. I have said from the start six months ago that I could do this indefinitely if I didn’t feel like I was on a DIET most of the time. That feeling that five days a week are normal is part of it’s charm. But, on fasting days I start to think of the things that I can eat the next day and then I sometimes let down my guard a bit too much when that eating day arrives. I did well for the first four months and lost 18 pounds but in the last two months haven’t felt that I am losing at all. I don’t weigh; I am better off judging my progress from the way my clothes fit and have only weighed twice in six months on the plan. So much dieting over the years (and so much failure) has convinced me that success losing weight is largely a mental thing. That means I have to stay away from the scales for fear of getting discouraged. But, the real challenge now is to eat a normal amount on eat days and accept that that is all I need and think a bit less about food all of the time. That is one drawback of this Fast Diet–it does have me thinking more about food most of the time. But, I am still a very enthusiastic faster and am extremely grateful for this way of managing my weight. I’m fasting today and already thinking about TOMORROW!!!

Hi Marga can only give you advice from my own experience–I started this WOE for weight loss but after reading the book and a few others esp Harvey and Howell I expanded my thinking and took this all on board as a healthy way of life and so began the journey into why chocolate, wine etc is indeed just for treats. my whole horizon changed when I stopped seeing this as being a time of dieting

all the best

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.