A fat busting story….hopefully

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
A fat busting story….hopefully

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ilovecake 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• I started fasting last week, having dabbled in the past with 5 2. I have recently spent some time figuring out why I seem to carry an extra 2 stones (and have done since I was 16) and also why I seem to struggle to lose any weight and then keep it off and why I have not been able to ‘stick’ to a diet. More about that to come.

As part of my journey to tackle this weight loss I have decided to log my story here. Should I be successful I hope it may inspire others (as I have been inspired by the great forum by Buttonboots). Sometimes writing it down can be very cathartic and part of the process.

So, where to start? I’m a 38 year old working mum of two young children. I also have a collection of animals who help to keep me active including a dog and a horse. I live in a lovely village in South West England and enjoy a healthy out door lifestyle.

Luckily Life is good and the only fly in the ointment is this extra weight I’m carrying. Anyone know that feeling? I’m vegetarian so eat plenty of fruit and veg and I do enjoy healthy food. BUT I also love homemade cake, cookies, carbs and cheese and butter- oh dear! I think, having read a book on it and done some research, that I’m addicted to sugar and I eat too many carbs. You’ll probably hear about my carb struggles as we go along!

So, the plan? Stick to two fast days a week, keep an eye on kcals the rest of the week and make sure I try and stick somewhere below 2000 kcals on non fast days. I’m going to be mindful of carbs and sugar and try to severely limit the processed ones but I may have some cake here and there as a treat!
    I bought a Fitbit a couple of months back and have just upped my daily steps to 13 000 which is a bit of a challenge to fit in but achievable and I will try to ride my horse three times a week too.

I think by aiming for a slow steady approach (1lb a week would be good) and by leaving room for my cake habit I could actually get this weight off. I wonder if my past diet failings are due to the diet being too strict. No setting myself up for failure this time!

I plan on chatting through the highs and lows of my week and posting results, probably on a Monday morning. Fast days may vary but generally Monday or Tuesday and Thursday.

To start us off I weighed in last Monday and was 12 stones. One week in and I am 11st 12.5lbs. Woo hoo! 1 1/2lbs gone. Good riddance!

If you’re still reading, thanks for sticking with me! And thanks in advance if you decide to check in in the future. Happy fasting everyone!

Hi cake,
    I’m a newbie too, just completing day 2 of fasting.
    Quite a few similaries, I’m about the same start weight as you, also have a nice outdoorsy life although I ride something with 2 wheels rather than 4 legs, have also just bought a pedometer, and am a big of a sugar addict on the quiet. Your plan sounds really good, lots of exercise and a realistic approach to how fast you will lose the weight. I would be very happy with 30lb weight loss over 30 weeks too. Anyway, best of luck to you, I’ll check in and see how you are doing and feel free to do the same with me.

Hey cyclesal
    How’s the fasting going then?
    And how are you getting on with your pedometer? Fitbit send me a weekly report and last week I managed 93 000 steps. No wonder I was tired by the end!
    Please do keep in touch and let me know how you get on.
    So far, so good for me this week. I’ll be posting my weeks progress report on Monday.

Just read your post Ilovecake and I really hope this works for you. I’m 13 weeks in and 18lbs down with a history very similar to yours i.e. having failed at pretty much every diet going. I’m an all or nothing girl and have a real need to get it right. So on those other diets if I had that bit of cake I felt like I’d blown it!!

However, the 5:2 way of life is a total revelation. There are no points to count or weekly weigh-ins that can make you feel like a massive failure. I’ve not set myself any targets (again, I can’t feel like a failure if I have no targets to miss). All I know is that I’m going to lose this weight once and for all, it might take me a year but I’m going to do it. I have cake and I drink wine, but as you can see, the weight is still coming off. If a fast day doesn’t work out for whatever reason, I just try again the following day instead. The “rules” are so flexible it means I can’t get it wrong, which in turn means I can’t feel demoralised.

Anyway, I’m rambling a bit, I just wanted to say good luck. I’ll keep an eye out for your progress 😉 x

Hi mac2015
    Thanks so much for your encouraging words! It’s great to hear that other people are doing so well on 5 2. 18lbs down is a great achievement. How much more are you planning on losing?
    As I’m writing this I’m reaching the end of my second fast day this week. One of my favourite things about fast days so far is sitting down to my meal at the end of the day (7.30pm this eve). I’m pretty hungry by that time and my dinner tastes soooo goood!!! Even a piece of celery tastes amazing at the end of a fast day. A big bowl of lentil soup and two boiled eggs tonight- might not sound too appetising but I throughly enjoyed it!

Weigh in number 2

So here I am entering my third week of fasting! I have decided to weigh in on a Monday morning before I start my first fast of the week.

Last week, I felt, went well. My fast days were ok with with few hungry moments. I think it helps to try and keep ‘busy’ on a fast day so I try to choose work days (which are relentlessly busy) or home days when I have a long ‘to do’ list to keep me going.

I stuck within my tdee each day that I didn’t fast and included several slices of cake within those days. I managed to ride my horse three times and walked a total of 95 043 steps. I felt happy, healthy and a bit slimmer. So, imagine my horror to find I have gained 1 1/2lbs this week bringing me back up to 12 stones.

Uugghhh! After my initial shock I took myself and a pram with toddler and dog off on a long walk to mull over what may have gone wrong. I think
    1) too much cake
    2) under estimated kcals in cake
    3) white carbs in plentiful supply on Saturday

I’ve said it before- I think too many white carbs and too much sugar does not agree with me so this week I shall keep a serious eye on those and maybe one slice of cake ONLY!

Fingers crossed I’ll be back next week having got rid of that 1 1/2lbs.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome! Good luck to you all!

Hi cake , a lot of similarities between us I run and ride and had about2 stone to loose I’ve achieved that now , I lovecake and wine but my tastes have changed I still drink too much wine but I’ve managed my journey and the joy of clothes shopping for a size 12 is brilliant and jodhpurs that don’t need to stretch as far .
    Stop eating cake and sugar for a week break the cycle then only have a small slice once a week you will enjoy it far more, I rarely eat processed carbs now they just make me sluggish . When I started I decieded I would give it 4 weeks before I got on the scales as I know my weight fluctuates and I would get demorilsed if I have put any weight back on be guided by a pair of tight jeans try them on every week see how much loser they get I now wear my jeans I couldn’t even get on when I first started this.
    This forum is brilliant for getting tips and encouragement without all the incredible people on this I’m sure I would have struggled if I can do this you can too just work out what works for you good luck keep posting

Thanks Twigglet- that really makes sense! It does sound like the journey you have been on is similar to the one I am embarking on. Well done for getting 2 stones off. How long did it take you in the end?

Whilst you say you don’t eat processed carbs as much anymore did you still eat up to your TDEE on non fast days? I think I am definately going to be a lot stricter with the processed carbs and sugar but I don’t want to cut carbs completely as I think you do need some carbs in your diet and since I’m vegetarian if I cut carbs what would I eat!!!

Thanks for posting your support. I really like the 5 2 forums. As a whole they do seem very encouraging which is so nice when things aren’t going to plan!

Weigh In Number 3

So, last week! First fast was a breeze- I kept busy at home doing the usual stuff, school runs, cleaning, walking dog, feeding other animals and running around after two year old. Before I knew it, it was 6pm and I sat and ate my one and only meal of the day and throughly enjoyed it.

I am pretty taken by the Innocent pots for fast days as they are low in kcals, pretty filling and feel like a good meal. I also have enough kcals for some fruit or something else afterwards. I waste a few kcals on skimmed milk during the day so I can have a couple of cups of tea and one coffee. I think this regime works for me.

Second fast of the week was TOUGH! I have not had a day like that so far. My stomach was just niggling at me all day and no matter what I drank it didn’t want to go away. It was a long and slow day at work so I just felt I was constantly being reminded of the hunger. However, I just stuck at it and got through it!

I stayed under my TDEE the rest of the week except for sunday and did plenty of walking (went over the 100 000 steps mark for the week). I ruined my virtuous hat on sunday though. It being bank holiday weekend my partner and I took the kids out for a roast lunch with pudding. I ate lots of treats the rest of the day! I shouldn’t have but I did and probably went rocketing over my TDEE. I gave myself a ‘day off’ counting and that’s what happened! That is why I am here in the first place- lack of eating control when I give myself perimission.

I guess as the weeks go on I will hopefully get to grips with this binge thing as others here have managed and just get on top of this issue. I think just the awareness of it is possibly a first step.

So, monday morning I weighed in, rather dubiously! I have lost 1/2 lb I think!! So, that’s 11st 13 1/2lb. It’s hard to see my scales. I’m going to order some electric ones!

So, for the week ahead- I am going to have a couple of weeks sugar free. I go on holiday on weds 20th May so I am setting myself the sugar free challenge until then. I will also try and avoid white carbs as much as possible. I know it will help with my binge habits as it’s white carbs and sugar I turn to.

By the way, does anyone know- do potatoes count as white carbs? I hope not- jacket potatoes are one of my favourite dinners!

Have a good week everyone!

Weigh in number four

I start this week with some adjustments!
    I did buy a new pair of scales which are much easier to see- the downside. I weigh apx six pounds heavier on them than my old ones. I’m going to take the hit for now as in the long term, as long as the trend is down, that is all that matters. I think I will actually start my weight loss count again today as it’ll be too confusing otherwise.

So results- 12st 5.4lbs

Last weeks fasts were fairly uneventful and I think my body is getting used to fasting days. I have discovered that celery is a good way to ‘eat’ something if your are hungry without burning through too many kcals. I ate pretty normally over the weekend. I could have been a bit stricter as there was a lot of cake floating around the house but all in all it was ok.

Look forward to checking in again next week.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.