70s, 80s, & older dieters

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
70s, 80s, & older dieters

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Bunnie 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Maybe we Golden Agers need to have our own forum, since we probably have some of the same concerns (of course, at our age we’ll probably forget what we’re doing!) My husband and I are 79, married for 60 years, and started the 5:2 diet four weeks ago. We both have health problems that make exercising difficult, but we’re doing the best we can (I walk on our treadmill 30 min. every other day and hubby goes to exercise room for more work three times a week). We’re pleased with the diet and losing slowly. I know our metabolism is much slower than when we were younger and we’re not as active either.

We’re using Nutrisystem on our non-fasting days which helps us keep calorie counts pretty steady and sure makes fixing meals easy. What have you found that’s helpful? Have you had friends or family ask why you’re dieting “at your age”? We’re doing it for both health and appearance, even if we are over the hill in our kids estimation!

Hi kkirkm:

We have chatted before. My hat is off to you and your husband! As Samm says, keep on keepin on!

keep it up

Hi kkirkm,

I am in my 40s and lost 30lbs with 5:2 last year (and have kept it off). My brother in his 50s has been fasting one day a week since he saw the Horizon programme (he’s slim, but wants the health benefits).

My Dad is 81 and has been fasting since the summer. He’s dropped 30lbs, BMI has gone from obese to just outside normal, feels fantastic and has less arthritis/ knee pain.

Friends and relatives have queried why he is dieting at his age, from ‘dieting is a young person’s game’ to ‘you don’t need to worry about dieting at your age’ and ‘you shouldn’t be depriving yourself at your age’. He is having none of it! He lives alone and wants a happy healthy old age. I’m so pleased he’s taken control and I can look forward to having my Dad fit and healthy for a lot more years yet!

Good luck with your fasting journey.

Hello everyone – I’m on the 5:2 because I’m very overweight. 74 years old, but my head still thinks I’m in my twenties! Happy to report that I’ve lost one kilo in my first week and I’m really pleased with that. I had open heart surgery nearly two years ago and I’m determined to lead a healthier lifestyle – unfortunately my knees are not too keen on he exercise but I walk my dog three times a day and he enjoys it even if I don’t in this cold weather! Fast day today and the sun is shining – quick, where’s the dog’s lead?

Thanks simcoeluv and dietgurus for support. HappyNow, your dad is doing great and I LOVE his attitude! My husband has a pacemaker and had a stent put in his heart last year so extra pounds are a danger. He’s down from 243 to 228 since November but had plateaued until we found the 5:2 diet. I’m down 7 lbs., 3 since starting 5:2 four weeks ago. Tell your dad we know how he feels about the snarky comments!

Bunnie, you’re starting off with a bang! Am sure your dog helps you exercise–we just have a kitty and she’s not at all interested in a leash. I’ve had both knees replaced and a couple of back surgeries so can’t walk any distance without a cane but can use my treadmill–it was a present from my sister a couple of years ago and I love it! Well, at least I like it and haven’t turned it into a clothes hanger yet.

Today is a fast day. Had a bowl of protein cereal this morning–it’s 2:30 and I’m not really hungry so will have some raw veggies and a piece of cheese to keep my sugar up since I’m diabetic. Getting old isn’t for sissies!

Hello all. I too am in this age bracket. From what I have read in Dr. Michael Mosley’s book, doing the 5:2 diet isn’t only to lose weight. It lowers cholesterol and blood pressure, appears to offer more protection against certain forms of cancer, helps brain function. AND if one’s brain function is good we have less chance of developing Alzheimers. To name a few. Why wouldn’t anyone want to achieve these benefits?
    I too have had spinal surgery plus two Total knee replacements. This sort of surgery just was not around during our parents era so we are very fortunate. Most days my husbsnd and I are able to go for a good walk. For the past few days I have had tendinitis around the kneecap which makes walking painful. I plan to rest it up for a few days and hope it improves.
    Good luck everyone and do remain positive. We may be past our prime but certainly not down and out!

Hi Again,

I wish you all the very best with your fasting journey.

Dad is doing it for the health benefits as well as the weight loss, and he has settled into a good routine. His weight loss was initially rapid, but then slowed, and has stalled for periods of time, but has never gone back up.

I should say he isn’t doing 5:2 by the book, the whole calorie counting thing just confused him! He has settled now to usually fasting completely for 24 hours (although sometimes with a banana at lunchtime). He then has a meal of protein and veg (often followed by a pudding and wine!). So he goes over 600 calories! But he has lost weight, and does appear to be getting health benefits. And most importantly I think it is something he can sustain. So I don’t nag!

Thanks for your comments kkirkm. I have been toying with the idea of a exercise bike – I had one many years ago and couldn’t get on with it, but I think it was because it was a cheapie! When I went to the re-education/convalescent establishment (or boot camp) after my heart surgery they put me on an exercise bike and I didn’t do too badly so perhaps I’ll go to a sports shop when I go to the big city next and see what they have. I envy you Lucky people who have partners sharing their diet – mine could probably do with the health benefits so I might try him on the 6:1 approach. I spent some time today getting My Fitness Pal app to help count calories – I’m amazed to find I can even scan in barcodes on my phone – astonishing what you can do nowadays! Carry on the good work everyone.

Bunnie — I use a treadmill because I have trouble getting on and off the bike–sure don’t need a fall now! My husband uses a recumbent bike but he says he really likes the Schwinn Airdyne better. I don’t know where you live (we live just south of Kansas City in the U.S.) but we have several shops that sell used exercise equipment at really good prices. Seems people buy equipment with good intentions but they don’t keep it up–hard to imagine, right??? I’ve had spells when I just can’t push myself to exercise but have the treadmill in our computer room now, facing the monitor so I can watch something while I exercise, and that helps it seem less boring. My husband was an athlete before he started teaching and coaching and has exercised 3 days a week for years–just the thought of it makes me yawn! I’m going to get My Fitness Pal app, too–sounds like it will be really helpful.

HappyNow–my husband doesn’t count calories either. He also thinks a good lunch is a bag of peanuts and a bottle of pop and calls toast with peanut butter the breakfast of champions. But he’s content to let me fix the meals and pretend I don’t notice he’s adding a bag of chips or cookies. I buy 100 calorie bags of cookies and chips now and he only eats one at a time which is better. In spite of his little calorie additions, he’s down to 226 lbs. now.

Dogsabie — welcome to our group. Do be careful about your knee–a little rest won’t hurt. At our age, it takes a little longer to heal–sometimes a lot longer! Are you following the diet; if so, how are you doing? I agree with you, the health benefits alone should make us senior citizens want to follow it. Keep in touch.

Hello kkirkm – I live in France, near Cognac and am quite a long way from a good Sports Shop so I shall wait until I can try a treadmill or bike and when I’ve decided what I want I can get it on EBay or Amazon. I think a treadmill might well be easier on the knees.
    I’ve used the My Fitness Pal app for a couple of days now – easy enough but you have to be careful of the calorie values as they have been entered by different people and can be very inaccurate on some things. It also gets very upset on a Fast Day warning you you’re not eating enough and issuing dire warnings – it’s not set up for 5:2! Its a handy thing to have though especially if you’re out somewhere.
    Just done my late night dog walk – a quick tour of the village and am settling down to watch Wolf Hall (dramatised books by Hilary Mantell) on TV – I don’t know if you’ll get this sometime in USA, but if you do its well Worth watching. Goodnight all – take care.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.