5:2 and stopping smoking

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
5:2 and stopping smoking

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi, I got interested in the 5:2 as a way to control weight gain after stopping smoking. My smoking cessation nurse suggested waiting until I was 8 weeks smoke free before I put my body under any more stress. So after 8 weeks I started to fast on Mondays and Thursdays. The 1st 3 weeks I lost a pound a week then on week 4 I was back at my original weight which has remained the same for over a month now. I do yoga once a week and have recently started spin once a week.
    Bit disheartened that I’m not losing weight and don’t know if its because stopping smoking reduces your metabolism. Apparently it can take a year for the metabolism to return to normal. Now smoke free for 13 weeks happy that I haven’t put on weight but would like to lose at least half a stone. Any tips or folks going through the same?

char, Before I stopped smoking nearly 12 years ago, reducing calories meant losing weight. Now I find it incredibly difficult. I’m convinced that stopping smoking does affect the metabolism.
    The 5:2 has worked for me but very, very slowly. It has taken me 11 months to lose 6 kilos – just under a stone. It sounds as though you haven’t a huge amount of weight to lose, but you are right to take action to stop yourself putting too much on.
    However, you might be happier concentrating on giving up the ciggies – it took me 10 attempts to finally quit – perhaps watching carefully that you don’t dig into the doughnuts instead of lighting up – at least not too often!. Once you are comfortable with your smoke-free status, then maybe have a crack at full-on Fast Dieting. Best of luck.

Hi Char, I am sorry to hear that you have not lost weight so far, but as it has been posted above, it might take time.

I stopped smoking a year ago, after having smoked most of my life (I am 48 now). I smoked a pack of red Marlboro and went cold turkey at the very beginning of 2013. (And no it was not a new year’s resolution, but a spontaneous decision.)

Anyhow funnily enough I did not even pay any attention to whether I might gain weight or not. Fact though is that after 11 months of not smoking I decided to go on the 5:2 diet to lose 5kg.

Now, that you mention the stopping smoking in connection with gaining weight…it finally dawned on me that THIS might be the reason and I thought it was the onset of menopause…(probably both).

Anyhow, for what it’s worth: I have lost 5kg over the last 51/2 weeks, with a combination of 4:3, ADF, 5:2, 16:8 and calorie counting. This sounds confusing, but in my case, whenever I think I had to much food I just do an extra fast day the next day. I also try very hard to keep to the 16:8 rule. This is relative easy for me as if I have my dinner at 6pm I am not eating anything before 10am the next morning.

So for instance last week I had quite a few occasions where I had to consume food as I was invited. This included nice deserts. Whenever I could I would immediately add a fast day the day after my feast. I also watch regularly what I eat and use the LoseIt! app on my ipad to keep a record of my exercises and food consumption.

Apologies for the long blurb, but I thought as we are in the same boat re the smoking this might help.

Wish you the best of luck
    Stef.

First of all, good on you for quitting smoking!! I concur with what has been said before. And besides that, every new way of eating / diet takes some getting used to, so maybe you need to tweak some more for yourself (or not), before you get results. Besides, if you have so very little to lose, maybe first focus on not gaining any extra (hence the quitting of smoking) and then see where it takes you?

Keep us posted!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.