5:2 A fresh start

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  franfit 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hello guys, after two years of severe depression,endless dieting efforts and 66 lbs of weight gain, I think 5:2 is what will take me where I want to go. I’ve been doing it only for a week(I know it’s too soon to sound that optimistic), have lost 2 lbs and I’m currently at 189 lbs.My goal is 123. I REALLY feel I am going to make it this time. I guess I am only looking for success stories and moral support.

Keep up the hard work

Welcome!

There are success stories, but also stories of challenges – and then persevering to work through the challenges.

This WOE (way of eating) works, but only if you stick to it.

Welcome, BillieJi 🙂 Congratulations on beginning 5:2.

I started 5:2 last August and was able to lose 40 pounds, from 157 to 117, in 40 weeks of 5:2 plus gradually increasing my walking to an average of 10,000 steps/day. I was quite careful about not over-eating on my non-fasting days. One pound per week is average weight loss, so, for once in my life, I was exactly average 😉 Some people lose less, some people lose more. The smaller you get, the slower the weight loss, but you can continue to lose, sometimes with a bit of extra effort (I did a couple of weeks of 4:3 at the end, because I was impatient). So now I’m starting out on the even bigger challenge, keeping it off, lol! I decided on a maintenance range, 115-119 pounds.

I had trouble losing weight on daily calorie restriction because I was hungry almost all the time. This way, I’m only hungry two days a week, and sometimes for a little while before dinner on a non-fasting day. Actually, I’m no longer hungry all day long on fasting days, just part of the day. What kinds of problems did you have with other diets?

It is exactly like you said, you have to work through these challenges. I felt that it works from the first fast day. I just wish I had realized sooner that there is no magical solution to weight loss. You have to work hard for it and at some point you will want to eat the whole fridge. But that’s why I feel so good about 5:2. I think it satisfies our inevitable cravings (being a woman and all) in a very smart way. It’s all in our head after all. Thank you for your comment 🙂

Franfit thank you for your comment. I have tried EVERYTHING. Protein only diets, liquids only diets, etc, I used to go to the doctor and have the standard 1200 calorie/day food plan. I thought I was doing great for 2-3 days but then reality happened. Cravings. But…two hungry days, I can handle!

Yes, BillieJi, that’s how I feel, I don’t mind being hungry two days a week to meet my goal, I just couldn’t live long-term with being hungry almost all the time! I won’t kid you, it was hard work at times, especially getting myself to keep up the walking through the cold, snowy, icy winter we had where I live this year. My car started dying so I started walking for transportation. Boy, did people ever think that was radical, lol! But the fact that fasting *was* hard work really motivated me to make sure I didn’t over-eat on non-fasting days. I didn’t count all my calories, but did look up the calories of a lot of the foods that I like to eat, and started weighing out my portions of foods that I know I tend to go overboard on. One tip I have is to calculate your TDEE at your goal weight and think of the non-fasting days as days to learn how to eat that number of calories per day in a way that feels satisfying to you. Then when you get to your goal weight, you’ll be ready to maintain and let fasting one day a week take care of the extra calories we accumulate because of all the ‘occasions’ for eating that crop up in our social lives. Also I am someone who gets bored and restless doing the same thing over and over again, and I like to cook, so every month or two I would get a new cookbook, or some new kitchen gadget so I could cook something I hadn’t made before, or changed around the way I allocated my 500 calories, or did *something* different so I wouldn’t get that bored/frustrated feeling. One important thing to know is that your body can hold onto or suddenly let go of up to two pounds of water in either direction in a totally random fashion, so you can do everything right and still have the scales tell you that your weight went up. So it’s a good idea to take your measurements, too, and, if you suddenly see three pounds drop off when you weren’t expecting much, know that some of it was probably water and it will bounce back up for a while before going down for good. You really have to look at the long-term trend. Some people prefer to weigh once a month because of this. A pound a week doesn’t always feel like much, and then less than a year later, 40 pounds is gone!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.