5 Day Fasts!

This topic contains 37 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Panzerfast 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

• Hey there! I’m kick starting getting back into the 4:3 version of the 5:2 Diet with a more disciplined approach as read in “The Fast Beach Diet”. I’m overweight for height and hope to loose 2 stone. Just wondering if others have tried a prolonged fast? I’m now on day 4 although it’s requiring lots of willpower.

Ian

That’s amazing! Well done for getting this far. I’ve not yet tried a longer fast but am doing well on a mix of 4:3 & 5:2. You’re nearly there if you’ve already done 4 days. Massive respect – you must have phenomenal willpower! Let us know how you get on…..

BCC

Hi Ian I’m not sure what you mean when you say “day 4” are you fasting 4 days in a row or fasting one day & eating normally the next but having 4 fasting days each week? After all with 5:2 you don’t fast 2 days running as a rule, I fast Mon & Thurs which a lot of people seem to do also, not 2 consecutive days.

Hey there. Thank you. Day 5 today of my 5 day fast cutting right back to between 600/700 calories per day. Feeling ok during the day as have a busy job, the evenings are when the willpower is needed with me. Been wanting a beer or two and crisps hehe, but have resisted as can feel the weight dropping already. Lost 7 pounds this week, probably water.

Hey Julie, no I’ve fasted 5 days straight in a row this week limiting calories as described above. Been ok and it’s definitely working. No headaches, light headiness or anything similar so far (touch wood). Next week I will go back to the 4:3 approach but still being careful on the other days, I may even try 2:5 which is what I’ve done this week I suppose fasting 5 days, eating “normally” 2 days. I Was going to give Slimming World a go but like the simplicity of fasting, works well for work and my lifestyle.

How are you both getting on? All good I hope.

Ian.

Hi Ian

Personally I can’t see that restricting your calories to 600-700 per day for 4 or 5 days in a row is good really especially for a man. If you fast 2 days out of 7 you’ll need 2000 calories per day to “survive” & maintain your current weight realistically. You don’t want to risk being deficient in calcium or other nutrients. Is this regime sustainable long term for a happy life? Once you become less strict any weight you’ve lost might creep back on.

I had about a stone to lose from my starting weight of 10st 6 in Oct last year. I gave up over Christmas & put on all the weight I’d lost which was no surprise I should have waited till after Christmas! I’m now 9st 8lb & would like to be nearer 9st as my blood glucose is raised & I’d rather no go down the diabetic route.

Mostly I’m fine, I do a 24 hour total fast 6pm Sun evening to 6pm Mon evening when I have my 450 cal meal (I deduct 50 cals for milk in tea/coffee) followed by another 14 hour fast till breakfast 8am Tuesday (repeat Wed evening to Friday morning). It’s quite manageable & the weight loss is steady. I don’t exercise much.

Some weeks I forget about my fasting days if I’m particularly stressed or the weather is fine & we have friends visit. A nice BBQ with a glass of wine is important to me, life is too short to worry about one day of not sticking to the plan. I’m not a big biscuit/cake person but I love cheese & the odd tipple but have cut out cider other than Bulmers Light. I have also cut carbs dramatically since starting 5:2 ie fewer portions of cereals, bread, pasta, potatoes & eating much more in the way of salads & fresh vegetables

Julie

I think Ian was doing a five day fast just to kick start his regime, not as a permanent thing. I understand this can be a very healthy thing to do every few months. I would try it myself but I don’t have the willpower!

Ian

In answer to your question, I have been doing a mix of 4:3 & 5:2 for only a month. It has been v successful so far – I have lost about 8lbs, maybe more. Still at least a stone to go but feeling v positive.

Hope you enjoy eating tomorrow!

BCC

After hearing that Dr Mosley did a fast kick start for 3.5 days and now you doing 5. It has inspired me to kick start the 5:2 for 3.5. days of fasting.

Its going to require a lot of willpower but I’m going to post here daily to see if I can last even those designated 3.5.

Here’s to a new me.

Ian.

Hi …..my books haven’t arrived yet….just wanted to check is doing a 3 day fast the best way to kick the 5.2 off ? as Dr Mosely and the interviewer did on the SN show on Channel 7 last night …I just want to get on to this NOW and do it properly

Many thanks

Day 1 done but I didn’t feel hungry whatsoever.

Did a bit of research and was shocked to find out how much calories white coffee w/2 sugars has 🙁 drank quite a bit today.

Shifting to sugarless blacks tomorrow hopefully my body will kick into fasting mode.

Hey there. I would definitely recommend the longer fast to kick start the diet. I’ve never felt so alert (strange I know on such limited calorie intakes). By cutting back for a previous two weeks and then completing the five day fast, 10 pounds has fell off me. Have found it hard at times, today is my fast day and feel a little tired now after work. Chicken breast and steamed veg for tea, that should liven me up.

Wishing you the very best of luck and look forward to hearing your progress.

Ian

I did a 4 day fast a couple of months ago for possibly obtaining health benefits, not for weight loss. I lost weight and gained it back quickly but I’m at my goal weight so I made no effort to keep it off. Still, it was sure easy to gain back.

I don’t think it makes sense to “kick off” 5:2, but to each his own, I guess. I suspect it is safer to ease into intermittent fasting as your body isn’t used to it in the beginning. After you’re sure you’re not going to have any problems with a single day, then maybe increase, would be my thinking. I started with many months of partial day fasting with an 8 hour eating window before moving on to 5:2 after being at a weight plateau for a few months. I may be slow, but over the course of 3 years I lost 60 pounds and it’s been off now for nearly a year.

In my reading, more than 5 days of the 500 cal fasts seems to be generally recognized as potentially unsafe so maybe discretion is the better part of valor.

The human body is sophisticated enough to cope with a sudden lack of nutrition for a few days, it is the mind that can’t cope with it, and of course tiredness could be a factor after a few days. As for kick starting a diet, it is down to individual preference. I started with the 5:2, fasting on non-consecutive days and it worked well, but I’m now looking to lose weight a little faster so I decided to fast for 3 days last week. I did B2B on Mon/Tues, and also fasted on Thur and it went well. This week I’ve already done B2B Sun/Mon(today), and am planning on doing another B2B on Thur/Fri.
    The diet is designed to be flexible to fit in with the individual’s lifestyle, and if someone wants to fast for 5 days to get started, I can understand it, because from then on, fasting for only one day at a time or even two consecutive days will be relatively easy. IMHO the fasting days are easy, it is the non fasting days that are a minefield.
    It is really interesting to read so many different experiences and opinions. Good luck to everyone, we’re all here for similar reasons.

Speaking of non fasting days being a minefield, would eating half as much as you normally would suffice?

I.E Instead of eating 2 pies for lunch just have 1? or just 6 nuggets opposed to the dozen I normally eat.

I’m really unsure at this point and any info would be helpful.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi Panzerfast:

Unfortunately, the person that wrote the book was not an experienced dieter, and had no history of being significantly overweight. He did not view himself as fat. For him, eating ‘normally’ meant eating reasonable quantities of food that were not causing him to gain significant amounts of weight. And remember, the diet was not originally designed as a weight loss diet – it was a life extension diet. Weight loss is a side effect.

Most people that come to this site are here because their ‘normal’ eating is causing them to gain weight. So if they follow the book’s advice and eat what is for them ‘normally’, 5:2 will only result in minor, slow weight loss and, for some people, simply no further weight gains.

That is why people talk about TDEE. So the answer to your question is figure out your TDEE and eat whatever you want to eat, but not over your TDEE on non diet days. #4 on this post will tell you what you need to know about TDEE: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/ 5:2 is entirely a calorie driven diet, as all weight loss diets ultimately are. You cannot eat as much of anything you want on your non diet days and expect to lose weight.

Good Luck!

Good morning,

Thank you all for your prompt advice.

Its wonderful and inspiring
    Starting today…

Kind Regards

Just closing near the 48 hour mark and I can say that this I.F business takes alot of willpower!

My sense of smell is so acute ATM that I could smell that the neighbors were cooking some great food :|__________ droolz.

Hi,
    I am on the 2nd full day of my 4-5 day fast, but might keep going depending on how I feel. I am expecting big results as I am overweight, and almost obese.

Thanks.

Hi Ian,

you are not alone.I am also on the 3.5 day fast but am tweaking it to last 4-5 days. I drink stock and it’s got 200 cals in it, this is all I ingest, except for water and lots of fresh brewed Americano’s(black!)

I love the challenge of it all, and hope for 10 pounds of weight loss.

cheers,

David.

I don’t think I could go the full stretch without the sugarless black coffee (Just switched from white 2sugars when I found out how much calories the damn thing has!).

I’ve been having those insta soup satchels and it is amazing how much appreciation I have developed for soup. (I previously just gulp soup in one go). I might get one of those soup making blenders and try make my own on non fast days.

Just holding on by a thread moving into the 3rd day but seeing david do the 4-5 has strengthened my resolve. Though I’m drawing the line at 3.5 😛

Hi, just plan a lovely meal on the day after you finish the fast, and look forward to it. Make sure its really rich in nutrients and make it the prize. You will last easily then.
    Thanks.

Hey David.

Well done on your prolonged fasting so far. The weight does drop off, I too am overweight and 12 pounds have just fallen off and I’m only in week two. Finding the plan quite easy to stick too and now getting the hang of splitting my calories appropriately. Just had tinned tomatoes and ryvitas, was surprisingly tasty and I’m very full now following a muller light.

Good luck. Look forward to hearing your progress.

Ian.

@david : Thanks I might try plan a meal and see if that keeps me motivated.

@ian : Congrats on losing 12 pounds in week 2 I guess that commitment in the initial fast was worth it.

Good luck everyone and stay strong. Its fun to hear about people starting out makes everything exciting!

Jules.

P.S one time in one of my post I signed Ian. Forget that mistake lol.

Hi all! I fasted Monday and Tuesday. Had tonnes of green tea which I’m hooked on it! Had few coffees. And some salty crisps so I don’t get any headaches. I’m ok but feel very tired. Is that normal?

Hello there VegH40!

Its really good you have some salt so you don’t get headaches. I imagine it would be a pain in the butt while fasting.Been having satchel soup for the salt content.

Personally I am tired too, but from what I read : The body will adjust if I.F becomes a routine in your life. I’m curious to see what your like next time you fast.

Hey there. Initially I was feeling tired whilst fasting but now two weeks in I feel very alert and appear to have much more energy than before beginning the process. I make sure I drink lots of water and ensure I eat protein during the week. Tonight had tuna chunks with lots of leafy salad and spinach leaves and feel very full oh and an activia yoghurt.

Good luck.

Ian

So I’ve finished my 3.5 day fast and my first meal was delicious! I could swear the eggplant tasted sweeter than normal (never really knew it had a distinct taste lol).

I am hoping to do a B2B fast every mon , tues and see if that works out better. Not eating from Sunday dinner through to Thursday lunch was a hardcore experience and I can only imagine how hard it was for Ian and David to go the full 5 days fasting.

May you all have the willpower to keep on fasting!

Jules.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your words.

Today my I reached the 3.5 day milestone, but will carry it on till tomorrow at least. It’s become easy now, but I notice light headedness whilst doing simple things such as walking or general activities. I did read it can lead to death if you are not under the supervision of a doctor, so I drink more water than I used to and might end it as soon as I feel more faint than normal. Apparently one has to start with lots of healthy food pre-diet, and end it high quality food post-diet.
    Be careful!

Well done! watch you don’t eat many crisps, best to drink stock,water,black coffee, green tea,black tea. but keep calories low, and no carbs.

Hi Jules,
    thanks for your comments.

My 3.5 day fast hasn’t been stopped yet. I am carrying it on till tonight, which makes it 4 precisely. I began it Sunday evening and I am not hungry at all. But I nearly gave up Tuesday, but went to bed instead, so as to avoid food.

I did it as it’s scientifically proven to renew the immune system, and lowers IGF1 immensely(the pro-ageing hormone). Maybe this is why I look young and gorgeous for my age? lol!

I read that you should do this fast every 60 days, otherwise just follow the intermittent fasting methods and switch to a plant based diet. Does that sound good? Thanks

@david : Definitely the lowering of IGF1 is awesome.I wanna be forever young!

I’m probably going to continue with a 5:2 setup in the hopes that it will seem more effortless next time I fast.

Anyways keep us posted if you finish the 4 days Feats of willpower are always inspiring IMO.

Jules.

Yes,
    it seems to be the elixir of youth.I haven’t had any colds,flu in years.

I will let you know and might end it tonight, and begin to eat a keto diet, but in intermittent style.

Thanks,

David.

Hey there. That’s excellent, well done! I felt light headed once really last week when gardening, but had a break and it soon passed. Reached the one stone off mark this morning. Well pleased. Keep up the great work.

Ian.

Thanks,
    i ended it at 3pm today which means I fasted for 4 days. I then eat very healthily but a lot. Tomorrow I will eat just lunch and dinner, but will eat less protein than I used to and more vegetable. But will do the 3.5 day fast every 60 days or so.

Are you going to do it again ? and well done for losing a stone.

Thanks.

Hey there.

That’s great. Do you feel better for it? I definitely plan to do a prolonged fast again for the health benefits and the benefit to weight loss. I’m also being very careful on non fast days and still cutting calories a little. Feel great even after this short period, although work trousers are loose lol and will need to buy more. I certainly don’t mind that tho.

Have you seen the 5:2 foods in Superdrug? Have tried a box of shakes and a peanut and chocolate bar for the weekend.

Ian

Hey guys I noticed that I’m eating waaaaaay slower. Before I began fasting I used to just blink and my whole plate of food was gone!

Its really cool IMO because with every bite now comes appreciation for food/taste. Which I did not have previously to fasting.

Anywho when Monday comes round going to start a 2 day fast again. Both of you keep up the good work!

Jules.

Hi Ian,
    cheers for the encouragement, I felt that there was a risk carrying on, and listened to professional advice, especially regarding re-feeding, which can kill. Have you seen what happened to David Blaine after 44 days of fasting? Scary!

I in fact didn’t feel better for it, and became aggressive towards my partner after eating normally again, she said I was really caring whilst fasting, so I wonder what might have caused the change in behaviour? I will look into the hormonal changes due to meat,carbs and sugar.

I for one wouldn’t buy convenience foods like what Superdrug sell, I also saw the prices! The ingredients look disgusting, don’t you think?

Today I will eat dinner only and then tomorrow lunch and dinner, AKA intermittent fasting, but I hope I lose my belly soon!

Cheers.

Hi guys and gals..just stalking you all, I cant do more than 5:2 as I’m breastfeeding (a toddler) But I’m so enjoying reading about your experiences and wanted to share mine!

I fasted years ago, I used to do 3 day fasts a few times a year then I did 2 weeks once, just water, then slowly slowly coming out with juice to salad to clean food which took another v two weeks .

My daily weight chart on the Wii fit was like a big tick, I lost over a pound a day while water fasting, and gained it back at twice the speed despite calorie restricting! I found the first day easy, days 2 & 3 the hardest theni thoughti might never eat again it was so easy! I was like a super human bags of energy, mental acuity and an extraordinary feeling of lightness. Finally the cry for protein overwhelmed me and I broke my fast. I must say I did a lot of research and I went into it gently (clean no carbs 5 days last 2 just light salads) and VERY gently coming out as that is when the danger is you have to be so careful, it can be fatal if you fast then pig out on a fry up!

Even though I instantly gained back the weight I lost I did feel very well. Food tasted amazing I had more energy and I felt really ‘clean’!

Good luck on your weight loss journeys you are all doing amazingly!

Hi Pom

Wow what an amazing story! I never could imagine someone last 14 days on just water.

I took precautions on re-eating basically switched from a large deep dish plate to eating from a small bowl.Just retraining myself to adjust what I consider a size of a meal should be.

I know counting the calories is important but I want to be able to enjoy the family dinner too.

This has helped me realize that I only really need to eat 1/3rd of what I considered to be one meal. (yeah I really stacked the plate prior to fasting).

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply.