Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,601 through 2,650 (of 5,077 total)

• Not man! MM! Darn autocorrect on phone!

I went to the doctors and the results are indecisive. So I have to get some more results and some other specialities like gastroenterologist because chest pain can be caused by problems like acid reflux and so on…. But when I got home, relax, had a glass of wine the pain went away.

So I am declaring wine as the nectar of gods, the cure for all earthly s**t and stress.

I won in the work thing but that is a shallow victory if paid with a heart attack.

Thank you my lovelies for your concern. It means a lot to me.

May all the goodness of this world be with you.

Giving my thanks for all of you.

m

Makica…thank you for checking in. It sure does sound like it’s all from the stress and once you relax it eases. Best to have it checked and let them do any tests they want! Breathe and relax. Will be keeping you close in my thoughts.

Take care.

Early morning here, so glad that your post is here Makica, that says you are safe at home, checked over, and the pain gone. I am glad you are doing so many things to look after yourself. ?

While I have been snoring in bed all that has been happening, and Lori doing boot camp and cooking turkeys, and Sherry having pedicures and Pilates and Susie at work perhaps with hospital stress and biscuits.

Well it should be a gentle day here. I can potter around, the lovely home care angel comes and cleans my house. It will be a nasty hot day with hot dry winds, so total fire bans. Fingers crossed there will be no fires. The bush fire season is so early now.

I’m planning a good healthy eating day, and I will fast tomorrow. ?

Hi all. Sorry to have been away for a couple of days. Makica, so sorry you have not been feeling well, but glad you’re better tonight. Do get it checked out. I’ll be holding you in the Light.

I hope you’re having a lovely gentle day, Cinque. And thanks, Sherry, for your thoughts. I’m fasting today to make up for meals out all weekend in Philadelphia–crab cakes, beef Wellington, ravioli in cream sauce, even a Philly cheesesteak. And I won’t say how many bottles of wine we split, and even some cognac. Yikes! But it was a lovely weekend and I got to show my lover where I grew up, introduce him to my mom, etc. And, on the plus side, I didn’t even feel hungry, not eating all day today.

Now we move into the first holiday week. The students, at least some of them, had already checked out today, with visions of turkey and pumpkin pie crowding out any thoughts of their studies, though my Islam students were full of questions as to how to deal with Uncle Charlie when he brings it up at the dinner table. I have to give a presentation at our prep school tomorrow, then off to friends on Thursday. I’m in charge of appetizers–mushroom walnut pate, cheese straws, and smoked salmon. Ok, now I’m getting hungry.

Hope you’re all having a lovely day/night. I waved again on the return trip, Lori. Hope you saw.

MM

Just checked in to see if there’s any news on Makica & glad to see there is and all is better with a glass of wine for now, but I’m really hoping the docs figure things out soon! Makica, praying that the stress behind your pain eases up. Work stress is just the worst! My stress is different now that my husband and I work fior ourselves. It never really leaves you when you go home for the day but somehow being in charge of our own destiny makes it more bearable if that makes sense?

Cinque, your summary of our days while you slept is cute! Btw, my business is employing those home care angels like you have that come out and help clean, cook, bathe, etc. it’s been very rewarding helping people live better lives at home! In fact, my husband is setting up a famous movie star (who shall remain anonymous for obvious reasons) with our service tomorrow.

MM, so your students don’t get the entire week of Thanksgiving off? Your appetizers sound supremely yummy! Did your boyfriend enjoy seeing your childhood hometown, etc.? I’m sure it makes him feel all the closer to you having shared that experience!

We are all snugly over here! The fire is roaring in the fireplace and we just finished watching “Happy Thanksgiving Charlie Brown”. Time to tuck the kids in for bed! Good night!?

Non FD for me today- must still track I think tho am out tonight at Lebanese so that will be more difficult to work out.
    Glad the chest pain settled Makica, tho as others say, it sounds like more tests are needed to settle your mind that nothing more sinister than stress is causing it.

A day off and I’m still up at 4:45! Of course, I was in bed by 8:45 last night after being up since 3:15. Round and round I go.

First turkey is sitting on the counter waiting to be prepped to go in the oven. I’m going to roast the 13 lb one and then decide if I want to roast the 9 lb turkey breast. That would be 22 lbs of turkey!! I think I’ll end up freezing the breast for another time. It is a fresh one just purchased yesterday.

We’re heading to the eye doctor’s office at 7 to pick out new glasses for the husband. He had his check up in September before we went on vacation, but couldn’t decide what frames to get. This is our first opportunity to go together to pick them out. Then off to the market for a few last minute items. I have to go pick up the 2 pies I ordered later today. Also making my fruit salad today. That’s why I’m up early….my mind was whirling with what I have to do today.

Makica…hope you’re feeling well today. I hope all the tests point to stress which can be managed. Take care.

Sherry…you are in a rewarding business for sure. Helping people stay in the homes that they love is wonderful.

MM…sounds like you had a good trip to Philly! Lots of good food & wine. Yum!

Well..time for some coffee and to organize my day. Hugs to all!

Best wishes for a good day Lori. I hope you are okay though. I suffer with insomnia and I know lack of sleep can reach an almost madness point if it goes on too long. I’m so glad that you are getting to sleep early.

I did have a gentle day Thanks Miss M. A few tricky phone calls, but apart from that it was a very easy day. Stayed inside! (not that 33 won’t seem nice and cool when we have a run of over 40c days!)
    So glad you had a wonderful weekend!
    Your holiday week does sound very work-busy!

I am so glad you find your business rewarding Sherry, it is a wonderful thing to provide people with the help they need.

I am just about to fall into bed.
    Don’t get up to much mischief while I am gone! 😉
    Fast Day for me tomorrow. I am all set!

See you tomorrow!

Hello ladies,

Makica.. I am so glad you are feeling better. I had a similar issue a couple of years ago when I was working for a 6-month course and I had a submission that I had to make against the clock. I was minutes away from the deadline and still finishing it up and I got a severe chest pain and a shooting pain in my left arm. I thought I was having a heart attack. It was 2:00 a.m. and all I could do was have a brandy and lie down. When I got it checked out next day, my doctor told me that I had had a severe anxiety attack. That, hopefully, is what you have had. I hope it is nothing more serious than that. When it happens it feels very real and very scary. Please let us know what the tests show. Susie, as a nurse, do you see a lot of this?

MM, I am very happy to hear that your trip went so well. I am curious about what kinds of questions your students in the Islamic studies class ask.

Cinque, you live in Melbourne, right? I sometimes find it difficult to remember the different details for everyone. Like what you have been doing yesterday, since I arrived at my sister’s (who lived for a few years in Melbourne, incidentally), I have done nothing much more than potter around the house. It is so delicious to be able to do that when your ‘normal’ life is absolutely mad like mine has been recently. I went with her to IKEA today, and for those of us who do not have an IKEA in our country (not many, I know), it is always a treat to pick out those organizational items that make life easier and more tidy. I am a bit of a tidiness nut, thus the stress I feel about moving and living out of boxes for the last month.

Susie, Lebanese meal, huh? Let me know what you had.. I am also curious to know what is on offer in your local Lebanese restaurant. If you want the recipe(s) for any of the dishes that you like there, let me know and I will be happy to supply them. Even when Lebanese food is high calorie, it is generally very healthy and fresh and good for you (with the exception of the deserts such as Baklava, of course).

Sherry, I love that you have your own business.. this is my dream.. and I might yet get to realise it! What did you do before you started it? and what made you make that decision. It must be difficult to navigate your own business and look after 4 kids at the same time. You are my superhero! .. and how exciting to be doing work for someone well-known 🙂

Lori, how is the window fasting going? How does it work with boot camp? Do you not find it more difficult? Just curious.

I know Sherry, MM and Makica live in the US, Milena is in the UK, but where is everyone else? I have forgotten and it would take ages to go back and re-read the posts 🙂 I am in Beirut, Lebanon (at least most of the time).

I hope everyone had/will have a good day

Salma

Gosh… (who says gosh these days btw) but still gosh. Thank you all so much for your concern a caring words. You are such a special bunch of women. Thank you. Bless you all.

I am OK today, just a little pain from time to time closer to my left armpit and in my left hand. Non of the sensations I had the past two days that can only be described as if somebody was sitting on my chest causing it to spasm.

I am going for an ultrasound to see if my implants are OK. I had a double mastectomy in 2008 with reconstruction so maybe something on the left side is causing this pain.

Salma I live in tiny sorry little country Serbia on the Balkans. But I am an US student so I suppose that is where you put me there geographically.

Cinque and Lori I am an insomniac and it is a curse. I can feel your suffering.

MM that was a very interesting visit and introductions. Hope your good vibes from that weekend stay with you.

Sherry I hope the turkey genocide is going well in the US. We have a piglet thing at this time here with the Slavas. It is unbelievable that any of the kind still roam the planet after the Serbs tuck in. We even had newspaper adds saying ” I slaughter at your home, ho mess, no fuss.” The only word missing was sucking piglets. Morbid.

And I think that your business is great. I had a firm take care of my mom. They were gold. Pure gold. Loving, caring, knowledgeable how to deal with the old and sick.

Susie hope your fast is going well.

I am keeping in the window, not really taking much care of what I eat because it would be just too much at the moment. But still on apples not on heavy chocolate cakes.

Love you all and thanks again.

m

Hi Makica.. Yes, I am aware you are from Serbia but was not sure whether you lived there as I knew there was a US connection; I believe you studied law there? I thought you had studied and may still live there and you were referring to your community there! I am getting all muddled up with all the details. Sorry! As mentioned before, considering my roots, I am half Slavic myself from right across your Western borders 🙂

I am so glad you are feeling better and getting this attended to. Forget 5:2 for now and just look after yourself and make sure you are taking good care of yourself. A glass of good wine never hurt anyone; it may not solve any problems, but it makes it easier to feel chill about them.

I have been stressing about my job move and start date in January and finding it hard to fall (and stay) asleep. I just came across the following that might be an interesting read (https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/xge-a0035325.pdf:

Briefly described:

“The study involved several experiments in which participants completed tasks that tend to produce nervous reactions — such as public speaking, solving math problems, and performing a karaoke rendition of Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing” (seriously!) — under stressful conditions, such as under a time constraint or with an audience of strangers watching. Before performing the task, the participants were asked to repeat one of several randomly-assigned phrases out loud to themselves and to “really try to believe” the content of the phrase. In each experiment, the randomized phrases included some variant of the self-directed sentiment “I am excited” or the command “get excited.”

Surprisingly, across all three experiments the study used to investigate this tactic, the participants who were asked to repeat “I am excited” or some variant thereon experienced better results than those who repeated other phrases or no phrase at all. Sometimes these results involved exterior measures of performance, such as speech persuasiveness in the public speaking experiment, or pitch accuracy as determined by the Nintendo Wii karaoke game Karaoke Revolution in the Journey-singing experiment. But across the board, those participants who repeated “I am excited” or a variation reported a stronger sense of self-efficacy, “the belief that one can succeed on a specific task,” than those who didn’t — including participants who told themselves “I am calm” or the like. Interestingly, the “I am excited” participants didn’t report lower degrees of anxiety when they performed their task, but their performance improved along other measures nonetheless”

Take care and let us know what the further tests say.

Salma

Salma

Hi everyone

Hi Makica

I say gosh and golly! And I’m an insomniac as well! All like minded folk here! lol!

How are you, that sounded a tad (who says a tad?) worrying, hope all the tests come out fine.

Salma how is the gap 1/4 year going – calling it that to make you feel young! I hope that you are finding time for yourself, otherwise you and I will have to take Makica on another break – though I suppose that would defeat the wholeidea of solitude and quiet – but nothing like a bunch of woman getting together and laughing!

Had a lovely day off yesterday, well, a few hours. Went to Glasgow, to an art nouveau exhibition – just pictures, bugger! But it was in the Lighthouse (only in Glasgow can a building up a side street near Sauchihall Street be called a lighthouse) – it was the offices of the Glasgow Herald Newspaper originally but now an arts venue. A room showing some models of buildings Rennie Mackintosh didn’t build, most interesting.

The Glasgow School of Art, apparently his greatest work, was partially burned last year, the day after I had organised to go with OH, who reckons he spent his school life passing it and never noticing it! Millions to rebuild but should be interesting.

Didn’t get our free M&S high tea, so went today, soup on for tonight and tomorrow, and trying this low carb stuff from Friday, wish me luck! No sugar in my tea from Friday – ugh, but its just for three or four weeks. Can’t see me doing the steak and double cream, a lot of fish and salad I expect – I have no imagination!

Happy thanksgiving for tomorrow Lori and anyone else. When does advent begin?!

Hope everyone is having a good week!

When your friends come to visit, they are not interested in how clean your house is, only that you have wine!!!!

Hi girls,

Salma, no worries about the part of the world we live in. It does not matter any more (apart from the time zones) because we can connect and help each other in so many ways. It is absolutely beautiful.

I have no problems with performance anxiety. I spoke in front of 50.000 people during our velvet revolution in 2000. I am just to passionate, all there kind of person. If I see stupid I call on it. Out loud. People in general do no like to be called out on. Right? But I just can’t let stupidity rule. The most dangerous people are the workaholics that are challenged. They make the biggest damage. Lazy and stupid, not a problem, lazy and smart a challenge but hard at work and stupid = BIG problem.

I have to take things lightly and not get involved like the sky will fall if I don’t finish or everything is not done to hight standards. And I am not a control freak. And am not ever the smartest person in the room. Just have some witch thingy like detector for bad moves and decisions.

So mu dear beautiful female people. I am shilling, drinking wine and taking it easy. Not stressing about anything that will not be important in a years time. Right?

Love ya all totally,

M

Milena golly women. I love those old phrases. Your day yesterday sounds great! The Lighthouse thing would be a norm here. All crazy. Clinical diagnosis. The whole nation.

And I second your HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all our US lovelies.

Yes! Happy Thanksgiving to all those giving thanks this Thursday!

Makica.. I was not referring to anxiety about public speaking but to anxiety in general. I think of myself as tough, but obviously,my body sometimes begs to disagree.. and the anxiety attack was an example. Sometimes, perfectionism also creates anxiety. A glass of good wine always helps 🙂

Have a great evening everyone,
    Salma

WOW…busy place today! Love it!

Ok…fruit salad is made, turkeys are roasted, drinks are chilling, pies are at the ready. Tomorrow is making the ham, potatoes(mashed & sweet), stuffing & veggies. I think I’m ready!

We’re going out for dinner tonight to celebrate the husband’s birthday which is Saturday. He wants to go tonight so he can spend Saturday watching football on TV…sigh.

My eating window is going well. I did open it a bit early today(11:30), but I was starving. I’ll close it by 6:30. I doubt I’ll have a loss this week, but no worries. This is an ongoing experiment. I’ll be happy to just maintain thru the Holidays, although a loss would be welcomed!

Have a lovely evening!

Salma, I understand just trying to explain that I don’t have any anxiety. Or to be more precise I have anxiety for loosing myself and the rest of my life to corporate lords and rules. So now when I think of it you are right. It is anxiety but a different kind. Thank you Slama. This has been one of those aha moments in life.

Love m

Hello chatty people!

I’ve got Fast Day with a headache, I would say it has come about because I haven’t done my yoga exercises for months, and I have done too much ipad in bed (might be the fault of you lot!).
    Oh well, did some yoga stretches, and I’ll be sensible about that ipad (more sensible anyway!).

I accidentally had my coffee this morning, instead of waiting for the early afternoon which is my BEST Fast Day trick. Sigh. But I just might have a second coffee in the early afternoon!

Apart from that, everything is going well!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
    to everyone who celebrates it!

And lots of giving thanks for all of you!

If we are to be blamed for the iPad in bed let it be on this day. 😉 I fully accept the blame completely and totally. Tell me just what to do about it. 😉

I am also sorry for the coffee mixup and fully support your second coffee plan.

Woke up with a headache. My housekeeper says its it’s the full moon acting up. I blame it oh high blood pleasure I sometimes get. My doctor says it is a menopause thing, these hbp incidents from time to time.

So how are you ladies?

I am going back to being a good faster, no more wine and double chocolate chip cookies. As we, me and my head, tend to wake up with pain and pressure! Sugar is really bad. You get hooked to it so easily and then going cold turkey (just not on this day) is hard.

Happy Thanksgiving again to all that are turkey focused today. May you stuffing be perfect.

Love m

Hi all, happy T’giving to those involved.
    Salma, thanks for recipe offer. I think our Lebanese place is anglicised and we tend to pig out on starters- and just have one main course plus a big salad to share.
    Always the same, houmous, falafel and grilled halloumi with pitta to start, main might vary between grilled lamb chops or chicken kebab when I am trying to stay on track, my fave dish otherwise involves slow cooked lamb chunks, rice and aubergine, forgot what its called but know the aubergine is fried in oil which I love but the scales don’t so we haven’t had that for the last few visits.
    Also shame about the drinks before and wine with but hey no, I tracked it all and will be careful today to balance up hopefully.

Hello! Thanks for your generous response to my headache Makica! Now I am wondering if I should blame my glasses. Well you gave me a headache healing laugh, and I will make an appt with the optometrist. ?

My Thursday is ending, a very nice Fast Day it was. But somewhere, from far across the world, there are people feasting with turkeys and sweet potato.

Ooh yum Susie, great food.

?

Good Morning!

Enjoying a leisurely morning before I get super busy! It seems like everything needs to be done in the last hour or 2. Oh well…..it always seems to work out. The husband is peeling potatoes as we speak. I always give him that job.

Our dinner out last night was fabulous. I had a small salad with homemade thousand island dressing(with olives & hard boiled egg) and a cup of Crab stuffed mushroom soup. Delish! Then another appetizer of 4 mini crab cakes. I also had a few bites of husband’s filet mignon and a broiled scallop or 2. To top it off I had a piece of coconut cream pie. Oh my……I was full, but her homemade cc pie is to die for.

I’m going to do my best to fast until our big meal at 1. I haven’t been able to make it past noon lately. I’ll be so busy that last hour that I should be able to make it.

I hope all of you that woke with headaches etc are feeling better. A couple cups of coffee always sets me to rights! 😉 Also, a headache is one of the first signs of dehydration. I try to drink a big glass of water first thing in the morning.

Time for cup of coffee #2….I will try to check in here this evening when things have calmed down. Usually by 5, guests are gone and I’m left with trying to put my house back together.

Have a lovely day!

🙂

I have been reading the posts above and thought I should jump in, perhaps it will encourage and inspire others in my age group. I turned 68 on Oct’15, I started the diet on 11th April and so far have lost 51 pounds. I have averaged 1.65 pounds a week. I have followed every diet that has been spun but 5-2 is one which has worked a near miracle for me. I wish it had been around 30 years earlier. I still have a lot to lose, and the age factor has neither hindered me nor does it bother me. I hope my experience helps someone. Success stories have always helped and inspired me therefore I am passing my experience on to others who may be in a similar situation. Good luck and God bless.:)

OWWNGU welcome and great for you! Bravo, kudos.

M

Hi OWWNGU! Happy birthday for October and congratulations on such a wonderful year! I read your profile and can imagine what a hard time it has been. Isn’t it great that 5:2 can be a sustainable way of life!

It is a beautiful morning here, cool and sunny. First cup of tea in my hand. Up at the computer so I don’t make my head ache!

Lori I am so glad you had such a wonderful dinner celebration! Have a great day!

Hello everyone else! 🙂

Lori, hope your house is back together and you had a great day.
    Cinque, hope your pain free today.
    I had a hell of a day but went for my cancer checkup and I am cancer free. That makes it all alright. My doctor is a great crazy woman. She gave me some sage advice. Smile at them and it will come back to you. So this is what I am going to try to do when I am driven to go of my rockers. Smile and wait for the Universe to reflect it back at me. Karma is a biatch.

Going to bed. Will do some loving kindness meditation for all of us.

😀

Making…congratulations on the cancer free diagnosis. That is the best news of all.

Dinner was good and everyone had a nice time. Dishes are done and waiting to be put away. I’m exhausted.

Back to boot camp and work tomorrow. Should be a quiet day at the office.

Later!

Makica, heartfelt congrats on the great news… it really puts everything else into perspective, doesn’t it?

OWWNGU welcome. You are an inspiration.. I need to lose around 35 lbs which I have been struggling with forever. Over the years, I , too have lost and gained at least 5 times. I am hoping this one will be the last and I will be able to keep it off. Success, for me, has been patchy, but I am not giving up. Well done, you!

Boot camp, Lori? Seriously? I would have thought throwing a Thanksgiving do is boot camp enough 🙂

Cinque.. good morning to you. I am drinking my first cup of coffee and it is a glorious morning here too.

I go back home today.. my hope is that I am able to get back into some kind of routine and get some order back into my life.

Have a great day everyone.

Salma

Lori Salma is right Boot Camp???? After yesterday? Respect. This is all I have to say about it. Just like Forest.

Salma, life is a box of chocolates. 😉

Thank you both. It is a huge scare every time I go. My doctor did a little ritual of hers because she said she can’t say anything bad to me ever again. Such a lovely person. The best and yet so human. You know what I mean. The best doctors sometimes have seen so much that they cover themselves with layers of protection so that they keep a little soft spot under there somewhere. Only known to them.

And yes it does bring everything into perspective. But finding peace is a very long journey.

I am going bak to fasting. Just not sure today or Monday. I am going to be kind to myself and go with the flow.

See you on the other side of the rainbow. If you don’t see one trust me it is there. Look close.

Love m

Good Morning!

Just reread my post from last night…..sigh….sorry about the typo of your name Makica. I think I typed it on my phone…dang auto correct!! The sentiment was there even if the spelling was not! ((Hugs))

Yes, back to reality(and boot camp)this morning! One of my guests makes this sinful cruncy toffee candy with a layer of chocolate on the top that is divine! I ate WAY too much of that after dinner. Have to work some of that off! Now if I can keep from eating anymore of it. Figure the odds.

I’ll stay within my eating window today as well as keeping the calories low. I won’t count exactly, but will do a rough estimate and try to stay well below 1000. Not sure what the husband will want to do for dinner, but I’m not sure I can face turkey leftovers. He can have them and I’ll have eggs!

Have a lovely day everyone!

No problem Lori, didn’t even register. That sinful crunchy toffee candy with chocolate sounds almost erotic. I men seriously, imagine this description for someone you are attracted to. Hehe

I am in awe of your resolve to expose your tired body from all that cooking for TG to boot camp this morning. Sin or no sin. Repeating myself I know but respect.

Having a no brain day. Like the cat mems “I can not brain today, I have the dumb.” So no rational thinking about food. Just pure amygdala – basic gangliatic brain.

Will try to keep withing the 5 hour window.

May you be truly happy, peaceful and free
    m

Hello all! I hope everyone on this side of the pond had a lovely Thanksgiving. It’s always been a hard holiday for me because it is so family oriented and I am half a continent away from my extended family and was not able to have children of my own. I spend it with friends, and this time none of us at the table had much family so it was easier–and a great conversation about world affairs.

Makica, I’m so glad you got the all clear. My lover has cancer. He has gone through surgery and radiation and for now has no signs of it, but, like you, he must go for tests every three months and it is stressful each time. And a great relief afterwards.

Sherry, you do good work. My father had Parkinson’s and we had home health aids coming to help him for many years, before he finally had to move into a nursing facility. They were wonderful. What was interesting was that in the Philadelphia area most of the aids were black and my parents, having grown up in lily white Wisconsin and Minnesota in those days, harbored a bit of prejudice. The care and love these aids showed certainly changed their thoughts about blacks. And to answer your question, no, our students only get off Wed-Fri, though a number take the whole week anyway. I was missing about a quarter of my students on Tuesday.

Lori, I really honor your commitment to boot camp, and can understand your wanting to go after the Thanksgiving feast. I had a good fast day on Tuesday and hope for another over the weekend. Today I’m doing the window thing, as I’m not the least bit hungry now, but do have a friend coming for dinner. I plan on something light, so perhaps I won’t go too far over 500 (well, there will be a bottle of wine . . .).

Hello to Cinque, Salma, Milena, Suzy, and anyone else I’m forgetting. And good luck to anyone who’s fasting.

MM

Hi all

sorry not to be posting so much, its nice to be missed, third go at this one, I keep doing some fabby prose and losing it again and again, is it me or the site?

MM, seriously considering divorcing my OH, partly due to you (also because there was herring in the freezer – no idea what to do with it – but OH is soooo bugging me tell me it is still there three weeks after we bought it – what DO you do with frozen herring – chucked it in the sink tonight so will have to eat it tomorrow! Sorry you couldn’t have children, I had a fallopian tube infection at 17, was told I couldn’t have children, bloody surprise to be pregnant a few months after I got married at 37 – a blessing from God, though must admit I have looked in car showroom windows a few times after working out the cost of nursery care to age five could have got me a decent second hand Ferrari! On the other hand son cleaned the bathroom yesterday, and gave me a hug today (have learnt to appreciate hugs from my 20 year old son, they are very rare but very appreciated events).

I LOVE the idea of having a lover! Which I have, but never called him that – hence the other reason for divorcing him! Sorry to hear yours is unwell, I do hope that things go well for him – and happy Thanksgiving for yesterday!

Been following you Lori, some commitment gal, good on yer, hope it is paying off!

Salma hope you are about to get into a routine, me too – busy couple of weeks – I suspect pounds on but I will only know if I go on the scales – solution, keep off the scales for a couple of weeks!!!! Be nice to get to our first anniversary with a decent loss!

Heaps of respect onewho – welcome to our wee group, leading from the front – just what we need!!!

Hi Makica, been following your story, heart in my mouth at times! keep well and keep being kind to yourself! Inspiration to us all! love it!

Hi Cinque and Suzy and anyone else, have a great weekend y’all!

travel hopefully …………………………..

Hello everyone, it is Saturday morning here… nearly Saturday afternoon! I have just skyped my daughter and little granddaughter. Lovely! (Son in law asleep after a night composing music).

Makica, so glad to hear your checkup came back clear! How long before you have to check again? I hope you have a good long time to feel peaceful.

Hi Salma, are you all happily back home now? Does your new place feel like home? I hope so. It will be lovely to get into your own routine again. I love the control I have over everything, in my own home. While I had the best time when my sisters were visiting, it completely messed up my eating and I am only now back to where I was when they came. (Hopefully next time I will have a better idea how to avoid things that aren’t good for me!)

Lori I am getting so good at working out auto-correct mistakes on this forum! I knew exactly what you meant! I hope you had a lovely boot camp, and quiet working day, after your busy, wonderful thanksgiving!

Cheers MM, I am glad you were able to have a lovely time with friends for thanksgiving. So many people have that problem here with Christmas. We call them Christmas orphans. Sitting around for the lead up hearing everyone talk about family and feasts, when you don’t have either near by, or at all.

I don’t think I am going to do anything for Christmas, and my daughter up in Sydney will be inviting her friends, who don’t have family near, over for a meal. I’ll skype her then too! I am glad to have a quiet day, although I have a friend who is having a hard time alone, so I hope she might come over for a meal.

I’m going to catch up with my sisters a bit after Christmas, we will do christmassy things then!

Milena what a great plan. Divorce OH over the herring, turn him into your lover, and then , if he is good, you can marry him again!
    Your son sounds lovely! Even better than a ferrari!

I’m fasting tomorrow, and having a slow, cruisy day today.

Best wishes to everyone.

Hi all,

Today has been a day of recuperation from the excesses of Thanksgiving yesterday. Wasn’t too bad but I wasn’t too good either! We went out and got our Christmas tree today. We always try to get it as soon as possible after Thanksgiving since it’s so much work decorating it and the house (we have a lot of decorations & ornaments). It will take the next week to get everything out and up!

Salma, in answer to your question, before we purchased our franchise, I was involved in the mergers & acquisitions field working first as a market analyst and then manager of the market analysts. I analyzed the markets, competition, industry, etc. in which our clients, who were looking to sell their businesses, operated. I would create a prospectus based on this information, including sales forcasts to support the value of the business in taking it to market. Most of the businesses were considered mid -sized companies back in those days ( the mid 1980s-mid-1990s) with sales of $1-10 million, but many were larger. Because of my background in market research, I knew that the baby boomer market was huge and that catering to that segment with products or services that catered to them would be a good idea. Luckily we read an article regarding the senior care franchise we eventually purchased. It seemed like a great service to offer people. A few years prior I witnessed the decline of my grandfather who had Parkinson’s disease and who sadly died in a nursing home because my grandmother couldn’t help him anymore. None of us knew services to assist seniors in their homes even existed. If we had, we could have made his last days so much more pleasant! So this is why I’m so happy we can help others! If you’re truly interested in having your own business, this franchise, Home Instead Senior Care, is worldwide now- I don’t think there are any in your region of the world- you could be the first, even be the master franchisor for that area!

MM, I am sorry about the inability to have children. I so feel for you! I went through extreme circumstances to have my kids due to my inability to conceive naturally ( blocked Fallopian tubes) I went through a very depressing time of multiple operations, 20 rounds of IVF, miscarriages, gestational surrogates and adoption to create our family.

Lori, glad you survived your Thanksgiving and are back to your boot camp! Good foe you!

Makica, so happy for you that you got a clean bill of health at your doc this week! I can see how that would be stressful going to those check ups. You’re way past 5 years out from your diagnosis so that’s a really great thing! Hoping the meditation is going well- any tips on how I best could get started on it would be most welcome!

Hi to Cinque, Milena, Susie & anyone else I’ve missed!

Sherry

Hello ladies..

I love getting these posts every day. It is like catching up (on a daily basis) with good friends. Sometimes the news is good, other times it is bad, but we all band together across the world, across all types of divides. How cool is that?! I think women should rule the world.. it would be a much nicer place to live in.

Sherry.. what an interesting shift. I am taking this coming year to consider what my next move will be. I am hoping that I will set something up before I am too old to do so. I already have a registered company but it has been dormant for some time. I really want to work for myself, even if it is for less income. I do have a high responsibility job that allows me some flexibility, but it is not the same, is it? Just to feel that you are in charge of your life and your decisions for it would be wonderful. I know it is hard work, I have no illusions about that (I worked with my dad when he set up his from early teens every summer and with my ex-husband when he set up his), but so worth it if it succeeds enough to allow you to have a reasonable income and at the same time to have flexibility.

I have watched friends/relatives who have had difficulty conceiving and my heart goes out to you Sherry and MM. Children are extremely hard work (I have two – not classified as children any more 27 and 29) and extremely expensive but definitely more fun than a Ferrari. I don’t see my kids as often as I would like to as they live half way across the world, but we have a special relationship. We also set one week a year when we go on a trip together. I look forward to that a lot, particularly as I know this may not continue when they get married and have children of their own.

Anyway, I am back home now. I have a full day today of tidying up, seeing friends for lunch and visiting family. I am hoping Sunday will be a lazy day as I will have a minor medical procedure to go through on Monday that will mean I will have to get some rest for the week. Maybe that will be a good time to fast? Does anyone know if fasting helps with recovery from minor surgery? Milena? Like you, I am avoiding the scales, but my clothes tell the story. I think I will have to work hard to lose what I have gained in the past two very stressful months. I am trying to be kind to myself and also trying not to give up on this endeavour altogether. I started on Feb 9th.. would it not be great if I can have a sizeable loss by then even if I will be nowhere near my initial goal? I am trying to stay positive and determined. Let’s see what happens.

Have a great weekend everyone

Hi Salma

You might be right about my son being better than a Ferrari – I’ve just bought a Karcher window cleaner. If son learns to use it I might be inclined to agree.

I offer no hope!

OH quipped that he didn’t expect me to want a window cleaning gadget for Christmas! So droll!

So now we are into Christmas decoration season – as every year I have already asked for the outside lights to be put up. Son has already stated he ain’t doing it, and even threatening not doing him Christmas dinner only brought forward the suggestion that he would just buy Chistmas dinner from M&S. It was sooo much easier to threaten him with cancelling Christmas when he was a child.

Though the suggestion that, at 20, he might not need his TWO stockings, was not received well.

One is a red and white knitted creation, with his name knitted down one side. Made for his first Christmas, and holds a huge amount. It’s still the first thing to be hung up at Christmas.

Anyway, to the decorations, I plan everything well, but it usually results in the decorations finally being brought down from the loft about 2 days before Christmas, often Christmas eve, after weeks of suggesting, asking, cajoling, and then threatening to spend Christmas by myself in a cottage in Glencoe!!!!

Then half the lights will be put up, after much moaning about having too many (OH) and needing new ones where all the bulbs actually work (me), the huge tree in the front garden, which was draped in lights in the days OH was my lover will for the 21st year stay bear. And son will swear we never had a floppy Santa, though he has his own space atop the bookcase, because neither of my men will want to go searching for what can only be described as a very bedraggled Santa.

But half a job is better than none, and the windows will be clean, son will clean the carpets, the tree will be trimmed and peace and goodwill will prevail.

At least until I mention painting the bathroom ceiling and door, a coat of paint in the hall and the living room, perhaps putting up the second light fitting in the hall that is still in its box 3 years after the other one was put up, and defrosting the freezer!!

Good morning darling people,

MM I am so sorry for your lover. I have been in this battle for a decade now. At least when it returns I get new smaller boobs. 😀 And it happened only once, two years ago. Hope it never comes back to him. The cancer is also one of the reasons I have to lose the weight. Glad you had a nice holiday. Family is good but as they say you can’t choose them, your friends you can. Sometimes family is difficult but you can’t filter them out of your life. Right?

Milena what happened to the herring?? Is OH still alive or married to you? Or did you just keep him as a lover, no supply duties or other marital list of chores?
    Thanks for the well wishing, would rather not be too inspirational. Boring and healthy is good most of the time 😉

Cinqe I am going for series of test because nobody yet has found the cause for my chest pain. But in doing so I went and did my cancer quarterly thingy.

So when they finally find what it is, causing this chest pain, I will not have to pop these little sedatives they gave me. I don’t feel to calm but it shall too be tested on my first meeting next week. If I do jump over the table and strangle the CEO or CFO I will be certain they don’t work and will be filling in all of you of my progress from behind bars.

And the last time I was arrested was during the revolution when our late dictator didn’t like people who had their own opinion and voiced it. So know territory there too. I will surely lose some weight there. So always a silver lining.

I know how it is when your loved ones are far away. But Skype is good and it feels almost like they were there. Do coffee with my middle daughter every Sunday over Skype. While my youngest was in the jungles of Malaysia she would also join us. We can all have Christmas together here. 😀

Sherry your professional story is so interesting. We have a few of the care taker companies here too. Obviously some smart people even here. It is so nice to have a calling that makes a difference in peoples lives. And those caregivers really have to be special loving people. How does your screening for new employees work? Special tests?

Salam all there with you. We should rule the world! First on our agenda is to eradicate is hatred and all of its roots.

I so hear you when you talk about your job and the prospect of doing something in the near future to be your own boss. I am taking the first few steps with my daughters on making a clinic here for the poop pill idea. We could all create an international business of some sort. Lets put our minds together. So much expertise and experience!

I hope your surgery goes well and as far as I know yes fasting lets the body heal much faster. It does not spend its energy on digestion but on repair right?

While you recuperate you will have time to spend here. I will be here more often because the virus I was fighting the last 2 weeks finally won so I am down with the flu. I think I will stay home for a few days.

And as you know I love cars and gadgets and to be truthful I do love my 4 kids more that a Porsche. But during their teens I would have swiped the 4 of them for a good car. Now when the youngest is 25 I am fine with my stable of cars. I love what they have become and that all the hard work and sacrifices were worth it. But there were times…. imagine 3 kids in puberty at the same time and your menopause starting. Grrrrr not even what to go there. No matter that I could make you laugh I bet.

Anyway Milena I can see that Christmas is a time that brings a lot of the “threatening” out of you. 😉

I used to decorate everything. We live in a penthouse in the downs town of down town so no yard to decorate. Now days I do a nice piece on the table in the living room and that is that. My husband was born on Christmas so it is a double occasion. They, the decorations form the coffee table “come down” for my birthday a month later in January.

He loves the old time when I would decorate for days, each year in a new color combination the whole gigantic living space we occupy. But when my right hand would not move from the shoulder down after being in that position for hours on end I said NO. The kids are of, the grandkids have their trees I am done. So I went on a strike and have been for years.

I am fasting today in order to give my body support to deal with this virus. And I think that nature itself has thought of that by dampening our appetites when we are sick.

My husband is being a real caretaker so I will read all day or watch something nice and funny. Need positive energy.

So my lovelies, we are ruling the world and our lives,

Love and blessings m

Oh my…so many interesting posts to read this morning. Should I try to do personals, I know I would get them hopelessly confused. Let me just say best wishes to all those feeling poorly. Be kind to yourselves and take care.

I know the “cancer dance” well as my husband is a kidney cancer survivor. It will be 10 years in March. We were on vacation on the west coast when it was discovered and he had surgery. Luckily, no chemo or radiation treatments were required as it was totally encased within the kidney. The “dance” begins at 3 months when you go for results of the scans etc and hold your breath while the Dr looks at the pictures and you wait for him to speak. We feel blessed that there has been no sign of recurrence all these years. Horrible, horrible disease.

I kept to my window yesterday, but go into that nasty toffee candy again last night! I wish I could throw it away, but DH(dear husband) would have a fit! He is thin and can simply eat a piece and then forget it. I, on the other hand, keep eating and eating once I start! Speaking of DH, today is his 64th birthday! Where does the time go?

As for Christmas decorating..BAH! It is lovely to see, but I have no desire to do it. I used to and then after the holiday, I had to go back to work and come home and face all the work to be done to put it all away again. Our kids and grandkids are here for an hour or 2 on Christmas day and that’s it. We’ll get a small tree…pre-decorated, and that will have to be good enough. If we put up the 5-6 foot tree we used to get, I have no doubt that my cat would climb it and I’d be redecorating each day.

I think our son is having a little get together tonight at his home. They’ll have a fire in the outside fire pit and we’ll sit around that and probably eat! Always, right? It is raining right now, so the plans might be scrubbed. Hopefully the weather will improve.

Ok…enough of my rambling. Hugs to you all and have a good weekend!

Hi Lori

you have made me feel sad – one of the best parts of Christmas used to be my cats, first climbing into the loft – though they din’t say there long, being December, and then it was fun and games with the baubles and tinsel.

Don’t read if you are eating – does anyone get those long strands of tinsel stuff – many years ago, one of our cats was having tremendous problems pooing – checking his rear end, I could see a bit of poo covered tinsel – and then I started pulling ……..

surfice to say the foot long tinsel came out in one piece, it took an hour, cat was fine – and we have never bought it again!

Of course, the tree has been felled on many occasions – my red girl always managed to balance on the top right next to the fairy – but pulled the tree over to get down – and I think they all thought the balls were a treat, six or more cats and kittens batting decorations to one another is some sight – and furry balls of burmese kits among the branches really enhances the effect.

Really missed them all last year, was the first time there were no cats in 30 years – half hoped to find one in a box, but my hubby is keen to go away without sorting out animals first!

Makica, if OH becomes lover with no marital chores, I’m changing my mind.

I have to threaten – the new kitchen a few years ago was typical – the new sink was put in at right angles to the hob, oven and fridge freezer across the way – perfect layout – we had moved a wall and taken some of the living room – so the kitchen is over 20 feet long, and hubby decided to leave in the old sink and not plumb in the new one – walking the length of the kitchen to empty pans full of boiling water – tripping over cats and bumping into people to walk the kitchen – I asked, suggested cajoled – then yelled! It was done that day! Story of my life! I remember 30 minutes before the guys were coming to build the new wall, I had to yell at OH to get the existing wall demolished! Strange though as soon as I picked up the sledgehammer, it became a man’s job!

Absolutely nothing ever gets done until I boil – I’m leaving the bathroom ceiling to celebrate its second year untouched and then I will explode cos I want it
    done for Christmas – actually I wanted it done for last Christmas, but gave up -I do most of the decorating myself but it is too high for me!

I think it might be best to leave fasting until you are well, hope you are better soon!

Herring is defrosted and in the fridge and we are having it for tea – decided to cook it in foil in the oven – or in newspaper – which removes the skin. Will let you know how it tastes, not hopeful though.

Sorry Milena! Sure didn’t want to make anyone feel sad! As for the tinsel coming out of the cat…..I remember that happening to my cats when I was a kid. Ugh! I wonder why they are so keen to eat that stuff?

Perhaps if you begin trying to do the work yourself, the OH will point out that you aren’t doing it correctly and then do it himself? That trick sometimes works around here. I’ll approach something with tools in hand and DH will spring into action to do it. Tricky, right?

Hugs!

Girls, I take care of stuff happening by ordering like a general in an army with a zero tolerance for nonperformance! Disgraceful discharge being the potential punishment! And mine is 66 in a month. He is retired and I work my ass of. So I want things done in the house or administrative stuff… grocery shopping…all sorts of things.

Had some soup and chicken breast with mushrooms and a small salad. Feel cold so going to bed. Like a sick person should. The dog is totally bewildered. It is daytime and we are going to the bedroom. You can se by her expression that she would say WTF? if she could.

See you later. Be smart, not good. Good is not very healthy 😉

Hello all! My goodness, so many lovely long posts. You can tell we’re all on holiday (well at least we Americans).

Milena, I hope the herring was ok. I detest the stuff. In my family we had the custom of eating pickled herring every New Year’s eve. It was supposed to keep the mosquitoes from biting during the year (the mosquito is the state bird here in Minnesota 🙂 ). I would hold my nose and eat one small bite.

Also loved your story of the cat and the tinsel. One of my large poodles once retrieved the string sack they wrap hams in out of the rubbish bin. I’ll spare you ladies the details.

I’ll also be getting out the Christmas stuff today as tonight is the eve of advent. I put a candle in each window and love the extra light it brings into the house. It always seems so sad and dark when I put them away. I bought a lovely metal ornament tree and put my cherished heirloom ornaments on it, a wreath by the door and another on the living room wall, a small Christmas moose on the garlic braid in the kitchen, and that is that.

Salma, I’ll be holding you in the Light on Monday. And you too, Makica.

Love,
    MM

Apparently its a bank holiday here in Scotland on Monday – St Andrew’s day – except I think the banks are open – seems the SNP decided we need to be more proud of being Scots.

Well, in that case, I’m on holiday for St George’s day in April!!!

If I decided to do the house jobs myself, my boys would just pull up a chair and watch! Neither of them would feel guilty – trouble is I am working my butt off and they aren’t – though with luck they will be packing away like little elves from next week – I’ve decided that I can live with grubby walls but not a grubby carpet, and son is capable of using the vax – and I can live without the hall light but not the Christmas lights.

If I go up to the loft it usually brings them running, as I have a habit of getting stuck halfway down – of course they just come running to laugh!

Good job I love the buggers or I would be on a dating site looking for a rich man!

Salma, I’ve heard that loading up on the vitamin C before and after surgeries is helpful. Praying all goes well for you!

Makica, you could start up a poop pill or transplant franchise! We could all buy in and be multi-gazzilionairs! Load up on zinc lozenges if you can find them! They really help shorten the duration of colds. In answer to your question about how employees are screened: they are drug & TB tested, we do criminal background & driving record checks and reference checks. On an ongoing basis we have our quality control team do unannounced visits while the caregiver is there working.

Milena, I guess I’m luckier than you in the decorating dept.- hubby is hanging lights as we speak and the 15 year old is positively Christmas-crazy so she does most of the household decorating ( which believe me ladies is a lot!). The tree decorating is done as a family and hopefully will happen by tomorrow. I know what you ladies mean who are so ” done” with the decorating thing! Really, if I didn’t still have young kids and the fact that they do help decorate, I wouldn’t do half as much either!

Milena, I’m hoping Santa puts a kitty under the tree for you- you really seem to miss having one ( minus the tinsel poop!). Heck, as far as the traveling thing, just find a friend or neighbor you can exchange cat sitting duties with!

Ok, off to put the finishing touches on my pot of split pea soup that has been simmering all day ( wish I could send you some to warm you up Makica ! ?), then taking the kids to a movie with the cousins, after which bringing the cousins over here for a sleepover.

Toodles!

OMG….I ate and ate and ate today! Abandoned my window and ate nearly everything I could get my hands on. As a result, I’m not feeling very well right now. 🙁 Sigh….tomorrow is another day.

Outside fire at our son’s was cancelled due to weather, so we are here watching football on TV. I did absolutely nothing all day, so I need more activity and less food tomorrow!

I admire all you ladies and your over the top decorating. I love to see it, just don’t want to deal with it! Enjoy! Don’t let scrooges like me ruin it for you! LOL!

Talk to you all tomorrow!

Hi Sherry, I have patience, and someday will have a couple of Burmese boys, probably a red and a blue, and I still hankering for. German shepherd, grandad bred them in the fifties and sixties, and my mum bed them too. But will give OH his way. Best thing is I can get a couple of grandsons of my girls, I owned the first imperial grand brown tortie, so perhaps there will be room for another tortie. You never know.

Lori, remember Pareto’s law, 80% of success comes from 20% of effort. So on that basis, an oddfalling off the horse and crashing just isn’t a problem, just get back on and rub your sore a*se!!!

Hello everyone, I am slow today after overdoing it a bit yesterday (I went for a longer walk that I should have). I loved reading all your posts, what interesting people you are!

Makica I hope they figure out the cause of that pain, and can fix it quickly. I know it is unlikely, but occasionally a virus causes strange pain, so I can’t help but hope it may be that. And I hope that virus/flu is gone soon.
    And ongoing good wishes for those quarterly checks.
    It is just coming up to 4 years since my sister had a mastectomy. She only needs annual checks now, I am glad to say.

Lori, I hope you feel ok again soon. I blame that toffee!
    Hooray that we have tomorrows. How much more of the windows is there? Is it meant to be ongoing?

I gave up on Christmas decorations the minute my daughter moved out. Too much work! I’ve hung lights on the front window the last few years. My front window is close to the road, so it is nice for people passing by.

Hard to follow all the cat talk, apart from the impressive tinsel story! My cat is a tortoiseshell, but nearly all black with bits of gold.

Glad to have a Sunday Fast Day, I think I would be comfort eating if it wasn’t a fast day, but as it is I will do different things! And I will feel better at the end of the day.

Sherry that soup sounds just perfect.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,601 through 2,650 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.