Cauliflower Rice Recipes

This topic contains 32 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 9 years ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

• Thought that since we had a recipe section, it would be a good idea to start posting our recipes to help others. Loving cauliflower and discovering it’s versatility, I’ve decided to start posting recipes with a rough guide to the calorie cost. Brussel sprouts are next πŸ˜€

Cauliflower Tabbouleh Salad

12 Cherry tomatoes
    Β½ head of cauliflower
    Β½ a cucumber
    3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
    3 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
    4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 clove garlic
    Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

270 calories

To make the cauliflower rice, either use a food processor to grate the cauliflower or grate by hand. Halve or quarter the cherry tomatoes. Slice cucumber lengthways and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon, then dice. Place cauliflower, cucumber and tomatoes in a bowl and stir gently to combine.
    To make dressing, mince garlic and mix with sea salt and pepper. Add lemon juice, mustard, oregano, parsley & mint, then blend with the olive oil.
    Add dressing to the salad and mix well. Let it sit and marinate for an hour. This salad is great served room temperature or cold and will keep for several days in refrigerator.

Lime & Coriander (Cilantro) Cauliflower Rice

1 medium head of cauliflower pulsed in food processor or grated till it resembles rice.
    1 tablespoon water
    1 lime, juiced and zested
    Handful of fresh coriander chopped
    1 tablespoon butter

Place grated cauliflower in a microwave safe covered dish with the water and microwave on high until tender, between 5 & 7 minutes. Stir in lime juice, zest, coriander and butter. Absolutely delicious, nice cold too.

249 calories with the butter or 147 without butter.

Cor! Great ideas!

Sounds delicious aniann, I’ll try your recipes, thanks! One question to your Tabbouleh Salad – do you cook the cauliflower first or do you leave it raw?

Here’s my contribution:

Cauliflower Rice “Carbonara” for 2

1 medium head of cauliflower pulsed in food processor
    1 med. onion
    1 tbsp. oil
    4 slices Proscuitto (60 grams)cut in thin strips
    3 eggs ligtly beaten
    chives or green onion

Saute onion in oil until translucent,add prosciutto, then
    the cauliflower, cover and cook at medium heat for about 10 minutes. Remove the lid, add the eggs and chives, stir and season.
    About 700 cal and plentiful dinner for 2. If you saved all your calories for dinner you may add some parmesan cheese – 1 oz (28 g)= 90 calories.

Brilliant, fastinginberlin. That’s another one I’m going to try πŸ™‚

Ooops, tabbouleh salad. I prefer the cauliflower raw but you could cook it if you wished πŸ™‚

usa here,

Cauliflower rice mediterranean low carb

Cauliflower, fresh, cooked (no salt or fat added)1 cup, pieces 29
    Garlic, cooked Β½ tablespoon 6
    Olive oil 1 teaspoon 40

75 cals

chopper it all all por in2 pan

——————————-

or mashed

flaxmilk unswt 1 tablespoon ΒΌ cup 2 +-
    Nonfat sour cream 1 tablespoon 12 +-

Your Menu Total 89 cals

Carbohydrate (g)***9 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g

luv this https://www.supertracker.usda.gov usa gov site
    they r so detailed & i can export 2 exel word pdf

2 me the cauliflower is 2 sweet
    trying 2 figure out how 2 get the sweetness out

any suggestions?

—————————————————-
    also no sweetness

kelp noodles 2 whole cups! (always put in a strainer & rinse the salt water off choppered 2 a fine rice consistency

this a vegetable way super healthier than cauliflower

Total Calories: 24

4 cups 48 cals when i’m super hungry on fastday

what is great it absorbs any flavor

soy low salt w/ a pinch of butter

or my favorite hot wings sauce w/ chicken

anything 2 substitute rice

i buy mine a grocery store

here is a link

https://shop.goldminenaturalfoods.com/GLUTEN-FREE-KELP-NOODLES-16-OZ/productinfo/1601-1901

bon appetit all πŸ˜€

Thanks for the recipe Wilt. Most vegetables are a healthy choice and to be honest, I much prefer cauliflower to kelp. Actually, unless I visit a health food shop, I wouldn’t be able to buy kelp. I’m hoping to keep this thread pretty straight forward, just plain and simple recipes because I find some of the information regarding food a bit too much to ‘stomach’. I’m just a simple gal hoping to lose some weight and perhaps improve my blood glucose. Any other benefits of 5:2 will be a bonus. I’m in awe of the amount of information across this website but do find it quite confusing at times. Reams and reams of research bores me to tears, I read enough through my job, so when I come home I’m usually brain dead and like I said earlier, just want plain and simple. Hence starting this thread πŸ™‚

aniann

good point

keep it simple sweet & short

KISSS πŸ˜€

Hi aniann, as luck would have it I had all the ingredients on hand and made the tabbouleh salad. Tastes great, that recipe is a keeper!
    Looking forward to your brussel sprouts creation πŸ™‚

This is probably a really silly question, but does it still taste (and smell) of cauliflower, as neither myself nor my husband can stand the stuff, but the recipes sound amazing!

Hi Lilygirl, that’s not a silly question, I like cauliflower but don’t like the house to smell of cooked cauliflower. Anianns tabbouleh salad is made with raw cauliflower and you smell and taste mint, cucumbers, garlic, tomatoes. However, I had some left over and next day the fridge smelled of cauliflower, so next time I’ll just make enough for 1 meal. For my carbonara recipe you saute it with onion and cured ham, so the smell isn’t there. Since you chop the cauliflower very fine it just adapts the taste of the other ingredients. You can also add all kinds of seasonings and spices, asian and arabic spices work – I like harissa, oil and pulsed cauliflower and in 10 minutes it’s done. Try it and let us know how it went!

Thanks fastingberlin, will definitely give it a shot as we are trying to add in more vegetables to our generally carb loaded meals! Will let you know what we think!

I love cauliflower rice and we eat it quite often. I don’t think it tastes overly “cauliflowery”, but I like cauliflower to start with. For fast days, I like doing this lemon and herb version: http://chocolateandvegetables.com/2013/09/18/lemon-herb-cauliflower-rice/

Finally got round to trying this. I don’t think I got a big enough cauliflower, but made the carbonara, and I thought it was amazing. I was still hungry after, so had some cooked turkey, but even my husband enjoyed it, just wished there was more.

Now to try all the other recipes…there may be a cauliflower shortage in Aberdeen soon πŸ™‚

Hi Aniann

Fab idea! easy to buy and simple to cook is what we need. Looking forward to trying the Lime & Coriander rice with a homemade curry at the weekend (none fast day) sounds like a real treat. Could make it on a fast day too I suppose!

1st fast day today so have a long way to go yet but reading easy ideas spurs me on loads. Thanks Vicki

I’ve never heard of cauliflower rice but I do like the sound of it and will be trying it next fast day – thank you all!!!!

how many portions does the lime and cilantro recipe make? I want to try it but was not sure what size portion the calorie count is based on.

I tried cauliflower rice for the first time and I have to say I was a bit disappointed…firstly I don’t have a food processor so I had to grate all the cauliflower by hand (took ages & was SO messy!) then even after mixing some herbs & a bit of chilli powder in with the cauliflower rice it still tasted REALLY like cauliflower and even worse DRY cauliflower…ugh. What am I doing wrong? I don’t hate cauliflower I just found that making it into ‘rice’ intensified the flavour.

Thanks for this tip. I like rice and have no intention to cut it out of my diet and I don’t cook on fastdays anyway, so I wouldn’t use it for that but I tried it lastnight with curry and it was really nice. I really overcooked it but it didn’t seem to suffer (other than having a bit of water sitting under it). I liked the flavour and can see it as a really nice low-cal alternative to rice for those non-fastdays when I feel like rice might just push me over my main meal calorie limit & threaten my chocolate quota!!! This must NEVER happen πŸ˜‰

Hi AGurl78 I’m afraid cauliflower will always taste like cauliflower. Adding spices won’t change that. I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong but it isn’t intended to be eaten on its own.

The idea is that it is a very low calorie alternative to rice on fast days as an accompaniment. If you have it with a veggie chilli or a chicken curry or something else with a sauce it soaks up the sauce like rice does and you don’t get the cauliflower taste so much. With the tabbouleh all the other flavours are intense so you don’t get just cauliflower.

If you have it on it’s own then I imagine it’s not so good but then rice just on its own is completely bland.

xx

I love rice on its own sylvestra – Yum! Am I weird? ….. don’t answer that! πŸ˜‰

Sayin’ nowt TracyJ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

When I have bought a food processor I will try and make it again. I think the problem with it being bland/dry was that I had it with chicken breasts & veggies (no sauce) so there was no sauce as such to soak into the cauliflower.

On the subject of sauces, does anyone know of any low cal sauces that are tasty & good for fast days?

Thanks πŸ™‚

Hey, can I use cous cous instead and how much?

Deana

@grazia1957 – you can use couscous but 1 cupful of pulsed cauliflower is 25 calories with about 4g of carbs. You would need approx 70g of dry couscous to make 1 cupful and it would have approx 75 calories which includes about 15g of carbs.

The idea of using the cauliflower as a substitute on fast days is to keep the calories and carbs down. I make a roast veggie ‘cous cous’ on fast days using the cauliflower instead of ‘real’ cous cous.

But how you use your fast day calories is what works best for you.

xx

This is my recipe for low calorie Roast Veggie ‘cous cous’ .. using cauliflower.

Roast Vegetable β€˜Cous cous’

Serves 2 110 calories per serving

200g of cauliflower β€˜rice’ (50 cals)
    Β½ tsp Ras al Hanout Moroccan spice (3 cals)
    1 tbs each any 2 of – chopped coriander/celery leaves/ parsley/mint (2 cals)
    Pinch each of freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
    Mix all the above together and set aside in a covered bowl in the fridge to allow the flavours to develop
    60g Fennel bulb (22 cals)
    30g celery (4 cals)
    50g courgette (10 cals)
    25g red onion(9 cals)
    50g Sweet peppers (17 cals)
    40g mushrooms (7cals)
    30g butternut squash (25 cals)
    30g sweet potato (25 cals)
    Chop any or all of the above into 1 cm chunks
    3 cloves garlic (15 cals) grated
    12 sprays Frylight (12 cals)
    1 tsp coconut oil (40 cals) worth the extra calories for the flavour but you can miss this out
    Pinch each of freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
    Heat the oven to 180 degrees C
    Put all of the veg and the garlic in a bowl and spray with 10 sprays of Frylight and add the coconut oil and seasoning and mix till veg are coated.
    Spread the veg on a baking tray sprayed with 2 sprays of Frylight and bake for about 10 mins.
    Keep an eye on this , you don’t want it overcooked.

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Stir into the cauliflower ’rice’.

sylvestra

ooh never thought about coconut oil

Hi sylvestra,

I’ve just spotted, and cut and pasted, your roast veggie couscous. Very much my sort of thing. Thank you. Much as I love caulflower, I’m not sure about caulifower rice. Thinks: will give it a try when Himself isn’t around, I’m pretty sure he would think it a step too far.

What I would probably do on a fast day would be to carefully weigh out 50g of dry couscous to make 2 servings at approx 90 cal. The whole lot would probably add up to a little either side of 200, which is fine for a main meal on a fast day. For lunch I’m getting very good at finding recipes for soups that add up to as little as 70/80 cals. Skipper’s soup at 142 cals is still the favourite, though.

xx

Hi hermaj It works perfectly with ‘real’ couscous. I’ve made it that way for years and it’s been a great favourite but I adapted the recipe to reduce the calories to have as an accompaniment for fast days.

I have chorizo in the fridge just waiting to be ‘souped’.

xx

Hi, I am brand new to this website and yesterday was my day 1 of fast. I under estimated how hard it could be. but feeling a bit optimistic after reading your posts. Please could somebody post a low cal (70-80) soup recipes please?

Hi SSKul and welcome:

Google ‘low calorie soup recipes’ and thousands will come up.

Here are some tips for those just starting 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply.