Binging

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  SAMM 10 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi everybody, started fast diet in January, not much weight to lose, and found it easy to follow and interested in the health benefits, However after five weeks got flu like symptoms which lasted two months, also suffering bloatedness/constipated so took two week break. Have started again, however on non fast days am now binging. Have had this problem in the past but not seriously for a few years. Feel as if I am slipping back into bad habits. Have eaten so much today after a fast yesterday, feel uncomfortable, disappointed and hopeless. It all started so well, has anybody else had similar experience?

Sorry to hear that Maggie621–I totally empathize and end up in the same pickle some days. There has been some sound advice about making sure food choices on fast days are highly nutritious, and for some we may need a vitamin supplement–that binging is about the body craving something. For me not sure if it is that I drank too much coffee on fast days. Also have discovered that if I start on sugar it is hard hard to stop–so I need to not even start if I am in the deprived frame of mind.
    My job is behaviour analysis : Looking at the antecedents and the functions of behaviour. Am realising that I need to apply these skills to self !!! Thinking about how I feel and what I do before scoffing up large. I know the third component –the consequences are I feel stink!!.
    Behaviour change sure is challenging and complex.
    We can just do our best at those times literally minute by minute
    all the best

Thankyou so much for your reply. Analysing myself, it seems if I eat too much at a normal meal it seems to make me want to eat more a short time later. Do not have any trouble on fast days when eating less.

Thank you for your post, Maggie, and your helpful words, double happy. This has made me think. I agree with multi-vitamins, especially if you are over 50. I have no doubt vitamins helped with my general health over the past year. I began an exercise routine at the same time I began the 5:2 plan. Dedication to exercise almost forces me to have that same dedication to the plan and a new-found interest in nutrition. I’m learning each week and have come to the conclusion this is not a diet plan, but a lifetime plan. I need to learn more about breaking fast days successfully, as maintenance includes a 6:1 plan. I’m in the midst of learning how to successfully break fast days without getting sick, tired, bloated or wanting to overeat. Trial and error. Kind regards to all and enjoy your weekend.

I don’t have great advice, but wanted to say how glad I am for this forum, because of shared experiences like yours. Basically remove the starchy and sugared foods. Try salmon or catfish with red beans and chase with water you may feel extremely full. Just thinking out loud, but if add some probiotic foods like sauerkraut you might balance the gut bacterias in your digestive system. When they are out of balance we can be sensitive to cravings especially from starch and msg.
    While I’m on that path of craveable foods. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. There are four flavors that taste the same to everyone ,but they are affected by smell. Only four! Salt, sugar, vinegar, and MSG.

Avoid keeping or buying foods that rely on those four flavors. Instead of their nutritional value I choose to natural tastes such as real strawberries rather than artificial strawberry flavor.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.