Weight off/weight on again

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  aniann 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hello everyone, I have a problem with putting weight back on on non-fast days. If I have to count calories every non-fast day what is the point? Obsessing about ‘calories in’ is just counter productive, and the fast diets appeal is that it is not supposed to FEEL LIKE A DIET. Diagnosed with Diabetes last year and on Metformin,(Hbalc first 7.2, now down to 6.5 with low carb diet – effective but unsustainable) also had Thyroid cancer last year too (Annus Horriblis)and now on 150mcg Thyroxin daily. Could a combination of these problems and medication be making me hungrier on a day after a ‘fast’? Or do I just reward myself with goodies for being able to fast successfully the day before? Anyone else have this problem? Weight is going down, but its two steps forward, one step back every week, and reading about other peoples terrific weight losses is getting discouraging. Any really savvy Doctors or Nurses out there who could advise me please (or anyone with an intelligent answer please!!)

Sorry but we can’t eat ‘goodies’ like we always used to. If you want weight off you need to eat healthy on non fast days.

Have a couple or three treats a week but not every day. Do calorie counting for a few weeks to put you on track, for portion control, then you will know how much you can eat.

Then the weight will go down.

Hi Mermaid. I know absolutely and sadly that I do, for now, have to count cals on non-fast days to make sure I keep under the 2000 mark. I am very hopeful that this will be temporary, but I’m very aware that it’s my “normal” eating that got me into this position of having to lose weight in the first place, so I now have to adjust my normal to a true normal that isn’t over-indulgent. Having said that, fast days clearly have an impact in that I am wanting smaller portions on normal days. I suspect for people like you and me, we have to submit to calorie counting for a while til our bodies adjust, and then we can in due course simply count them on fast days. As frustrating as this might be, it’s nowhere near as frustrating as most ways of dieting and should only be fairly short term. I should add that I’ve been on the 5:2 for over 8 weeks now and I’m still having to count for my own peace of mind…

Hi Humphrey, Thank you and also Symba7 for your advice – your right, I have over-eaten for years – which is why I became Diabetic! Not grossly so, just enough to keep me 2 stone overweight since the children (ok, 40 years ago…)I have lost over a stone since my diagnosis 18 months ago, but am determined to get my eating under control permanently now, and if calorie counting for a few weeks, to get my portion-control right, then so be it. I have been low-carbing for a couple of years…and they emphasis carbs count, not calories, so its going to be a paradigm shift for me to weigh and measure everything, but carb counting means you can eat vast amounts of protein and veggies -way over 1800 cals a day. Well, onward and upward..I will keep you all posted. Going to buy some WW calorie counted meals to make fast days easier. Hubby is a vegetarian, so joining him (eating quorn) could be one way forward.

Hi Mermaid if you really dont want to count cals on your off days i would recommend trying 4:3 for a couple of weeks to see if that gives you a boost, also when i stopped weight loss i found swimming really helped, good luck and keep going xx

Hi fast for life, Guess why I chose the name Mermaid? I go swimming 4-5 times a week, I live a few hundred yards from a health spa with a great pool, and I joined as soon as I learned I was Diabetic… its what has kept me from going onto insulin, and also stops me putting weight on..will follow everyones advice and watch the intake on off-days. I have just bought some calorie counted meals and will see if they make fast days easier. I thought I might incorporate the 8hours diet with the 5:2, only eating between 12 and 8pm on 5 days, which gives me a clear 16 hour fast overnight. Its all experimentation at this stage – but determined to keep going. Thanks for helpful posts, keep them coming in.

Hi mermaid. I use the MyFitnessPal app to keep a check on my calories from time to time. Find it easy to use. We have to slowly re educate ourselves and form better life long habits when it comes to eating. Treats every now and again are so much nicer! Good luck

Tickatape, I am using the MyFitnessPal app as well. I don’t count every calorie every day on fast days, but it helps me to stay in line.

Teddie

Hi. Get rid off foods that are high calorie from your house then you may not need to calorie count as you will only have the good stuff at hand anyway. IM not sure if that is possible but it may help.

I’m trying not to count calories on feast days but I do have some idea of how many calories might be in the food I’m eating. I’m just trying to change certain things, such as not having an oil dressing on the salads that I love, cutting out butter/margarine from my sandwiches when I’m at work etc. You can also still follow low carb. Oh and yes, all those damned pre-made sauces that I’ve used in the past to make pasta meals or curries etc., full of fat and sugar. I’m now learning to cook from scratch 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.