Week 2 and going strong-ish

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wiltldnrUSA 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hi everyone

As with one of the earlier posters, I too have been stalking this forum for a couple of weeks now, looking for inspiration. And I certainly found it! You’re all amazing! Well done!

I stumbled upon the 5:2 fast diet by accident a couple of weeks go (possibly after eating too many biscuits…), bought the book the next day then started my first fast the day after!

I am nearly 38, a working mother of two struggling to balance a high-stress job with kid wrangling, and about 5-10 kilos (sorry, I’m Australian, I don’t don’t do pounds) overweight. My BMI is 24.9, so technically I am an ok weight, but I don’t feel ok within myself, and the past year I have had every single cold/flu/stomach bug going around, so clearly my immune system is not happy with me. Oh, and I also have a savage sugar addiction.

A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to be super fit and healthy by the time I reach 40 so took up running and tried to give up sugar. The running has been great and I am totally hooked on it, but the sugar…alas, I’m hooked on that too 🙁

Anyway, despite all the running I have been doing (5-10kms a day, 5 days a week) I have gained 5 kilos! And not 5 kilos of muscle, either! Far from it. I feel like I am a super fit person in a pudgy wobbly body. Clearly I have been using my running as an excuse to eat whatever I like. Hmm. Tut, tut.

Soooo, that brings me to now. I’m on the eve of my fourth fast day and getting a bit excited! The first fast day was hell on earth. Let’s just say I ate a lot of iceberg lettuce that day. A lot. The second fast day was easy peasy by comparison. The third was hard again (which is weird, because I didn’t even run that morning). And so tomorrow – who knows? The things I have learned so far are:

1. I have never let myself get hungry before. Being hungry made me really anxious to begin with. My brain just kept telling me I HAD TO EAT! It’s how I’ve been conditioned, so I figure the 5:2 system is about re-conditioning myself to understand that being hungry is ok.
    2. I can do a whole lot of exercise the day of and the day after a fast and not keel over and die. Amazing! I usually run before breakfast anyway but I have found that I actually have more energy after a fast. I can run 10kms and still feel great.
    3. Although the book says not to count calories on ‘normal’ days, I can’t help myself! I want to count them. I am really scared that I will undo all my hard work by eating too much. I am still trying to decide whether MyFitnessPal is a friend or foe…
    4. I can’t believe how little I knew about food portions and the calorie content of food before now. It’s been an eye opener and really not surprising that I have been steadily gaining weight.
    5. After just one fast day I already felt better – more energy, less lethargic, and totally alert to what food I was putting into my mouth. I wasn’t expecting that at all.
    6. I can eat just a couple of squares of chocolate or a couple of lollies and be satisfied. The whole block/packet is not necessary.

Oops. A long first post – apologies.

Wish me luck tomorrow!

Nickers

nickers

wish u allot of success not just 4 2morrow but for a lifetime lifestyle

u might want 2 c vids of dr mosley on this forum

& other dr views & why we r gaining weight

go 2 near the end of the post it is the most updated

everything a newbie/poster might want 2 c, use & read

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/everything-a-newbie-might-want-2-c-use-read/

hope this helps u

worth repeating ur thoughts b low

nickers wrote:

1. I have never let myself get hungry before. Being hungry made me really anxious to begin with. My brain just kept telling me I HAD TO EAT! It’s how I’ve been conditioned, so I figure the 5:2 system is about re-conditioning myself to understand that being hungry is ok.
    2. I can do a whole lot of exercise the day of and the day after a fast and not keel over and die. Amazing! I usually run before breakfast anyway but I have found that I actually have more energy after a fast. I can run 10kms and still feel great.
    3. Although the book says not to count calories on ‘normal’ days, I can’t help myself! I want to count them. I am really scared that I will undo all my hard work by eating too much. I am still trying to decide whether MyFitnessPal is a friend or foe…
    4. I can’t believe how little I knew about food portions and the calorie content of food before now. It’s been an eye opener and really not surprising that I have been steadily gaining weight.
    5. After just one fast day I already felt better – more energy, less lethargic, and totally alert to what food I was putting into my mouth. I wasn’t expecting that at all.
    6. I can eat just a couple of squares of chocolate or a couple of lollies and be satisfied. The whole block/packet is not necessary.

happy nonfastdays & fastdays & 5/2 & 4/3 & 6/1 & adf or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or 5/1/1 or adf w/1 & the fdl (fastday lifestyle) 😀

oops

also once u watch the vids especially about sugar

& dr fung & dr mosley

would like 2 hear ur opinion

happy nonfastdays & fastdays & 5/2 & 4/3 & 6/1 & adf or 4/2/1 or 3/3/1 or 5/1/1 or adf w/1 & the fdl (fastday lifestyle) 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.