Today first day of the fast diet

This topic contains 31 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  jrmelmer 6 years ago.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

• Hi I am 57, about 35 pounds overweight and desperate to lose weight. Since I entered my 50’s I have piled the weight on and it doesn’t want to come off! I know this is going to be difficult and it’s not going to happen overnight. I haven’t had much success in the past and end up heavier. I am only 5 feet tall so need to get my weight down. My knees will thank me.

Yes, jackie, your knees will thank you. You are doing the right thing by starting the 5:2 diet. Have you read the Fast Diet book? It essential and a good read. The recipes will give you some ideas of what and how to eat.

Good luck — keep posting your progress and questions.

Today is my first REAL day on the fast diet! I’ve toyed with it before but not adhered exactly. I’m restarting because I’d like to lose about 4 kilos…. if I could make it to a stone that would be superb. I’m in my forties, a mom, a dedicated health nut!

Welcome!

Thank you for your responses. I have read the book and I am following the recipes. I am weighing my food which does help. I know I have only fasted for one day but it wasn’t as bad as I expected. Yes I was hungry but I have finally realised how much I snack, particularly the evenings. Good luck Tila.

My first day too! Wishing you the best success with this. I need to lose 10kg in truth. I so hope this way of eating and living can help me; I am pretty determined although feeding my family, loving cooking and food have made weight loss a variable success in the past…2 years ago I was at an ideal weight briefly before getting derailed but I am ready to embrace healthy eating and a healthy weight again. Today is the first fast day – I am not planning to eat anything until 7pm when I will have a delicious salad! I made it last night and ate some last night so I know it will be delicious…So far I feel fine having not eaten since last night. I plan to have 2 consecutive fast days and have considered perhaps a 3rd fast day but not sure yet how sustainable that will be. Good luck on this journey all of us!!

First fast day went well other than feeling I had to have a very slim slice of my son’s birthday cake! I certainly don’t think I went over my allowance but it didn’t feel quite like following the rules. I am hoping to do B2B fast days so today is a FD too. So far just 2 cups of tea and 1 skinny latte that my friend just bought. Not sure how many calories these would add up to tbh. I am planning to have lentil and mushroom soup for my meal later. 🙂

Glad you have joined us, Flloyd. It seems that you are not counting calories. It has always helped me to have a handle on how much is coming in — so easy to underestimate that!

How’s it going, Jackie?
    Working for you, Tiia?

Fasting tomorrow!

I am on my second day of fasting. I am surprised how well I am managing. I read the book from cover to cover and the incentive is not only losing weight, but all the other health benefits. I haven’t counted calories for years nor have I weighed my food – I have found that has kept me on track . I do feel hungry occasionally but it passes. I am fasting on a day when many members of my family are here due to the bad weather and this is going to be my biggest test and the reason I always fail. I always give in to temptation as I am cooking and it’s a convivial atmosphere but I am going to prepare their meal in advance and fingers crossed I will stick to my fast day. I have already lost 2 kilograms but I have a lot to lose, which is maybe why it has come off so quickly.
    Good luck to everyone and keep going

Good job, Jackie. Sounds as if the weight loss is working. Keep your goals in mind as you get through a day with Fasting AND family.

Breakfast today: Omelette with salt cod, mashed potato, Cheddar, and savory. Delicious.
    Dinner tonight: Chicago Hot Dog — all the flavor in a bowl without the bun. New recipe for us.

What are you eating?

Well, the first 2 fast days went well but then the rest of the week has been awful!! I have eaten even more than usual. I am frustrated but trying to be patient and resilient!! Today is not a fast day and I have eaten less so far. I should start counting calories but I don’t have a smart phone and not sure of the best method for CC or best resources. Very frustrated that the first week didn’t go well but determined to continue and get things moving in the right direction. I feel like I am just starting again from scratch but hey ho, you fall down, keep getting back up…

not seeing my post

ok there I go I am 68 and weight over 200, having trouble walking, praying to lose weight and I am inspired to do intermittent fasting, haven’t started yet pray for me to have will power thanks yall

So I have lost a kilo. I tried to cut back on my other 5 days but the weekend didn’t go well. I ate too much and alcohol gives me the munchies. I am back on my fast day and will be avoiding alcohol this week. I weigh less after a fast day but forgot I would be eating the other 5. But I have lost a kilo in spite of not keeping to 1,700 calories over the weekend. I am sticking with it. Good luck Flloyd and jrmelmer.

Thanx Jackie. I have pretty much given up the alcohol completely. Maybe some red wine. I noticed the alcohol makes me dopey and I want to remain clear headed. Also I read that it increases the insulin levels dramatically and that is what causes fat storage. peace and god bless

jrlmeler, you might find that Fasting is easier than you fear. Try eating a Fast-style dinner one day [that’s 300 calories MAX of quality calories] and then eat nothing else until next breakfast. See how that goes.
    Your will power will take you through if you keep your goal in mind: lower weight, increased mobility.

Good job on the kilo, Jackie.

Flloyd, instead of counting calories as you go along, try previewing what you will probably eat that day. Then you can calculate based on that list. I find Calorie King to be a good site for figuring out nutritional values of foods. Or, write down what you eat all day, then at night do the calorie count. Do this for a little bit and you will know how much foods ‘cost’ and get a better handle on what/how to eat.

Hi Jackie I’ve also started today! How’s it going so far? I’m 5ft too and I’ve always struggled with my weight but since going on hrt it’s been out of control. Will be 50 in September and have lots of plans but can’t face it being this over weight. I need to lose 24 pounds 😩
    Good luck definitely read the book Loz

Hi Lozz, you are definitely doing the right thing starting now. I wish I had started earlier but hey ho I wasn’t ready. Unfortunately when you hit your 50’s the weight does tend to want to stick. You will definitely feel better if you can get the weight off. I am older than you and I know that if I could get some of this weight off I will feel so much better. I also can’t face being this weight. I have never been this size. So far I don’t find the fast days to bad, I plan what I am going to eat, for the fast days and reading the book has helped. I do find non fast days harder as I have a tendency to over eat (otherwise I wouldn’t be on here) but I am trying hard to keep it too 1,700 calories. I will be happy with a kilo a week if it keeps coming off. I tell myself on a fast day I can have it tomorrow (as it says in the book) and I feel better. The temptation is to keep doing it daily but I know this isn’t a good idea. I am trying too make this a life style change not a quick fix and pile it on again! Good luck everyone

thanks fasting me. just had some vegetables today and brown rice. praying to God I have the willpower to do this. I am determined to at least try as one cannot succeed without trying right? the best to all

well I made it through the first day and a heaping day of vegetables and when I went on my morning walk I absolutely knew I had lost weight just from that one day. So I was immensely encouraged and thanked my Higher Power for the will to do it! Slowly switching over my food reading about 20 books on the science of nutrition. peace yall and the best

good for you, jrlmelmer, with the first day under your belt. make sure that you get protein into your diet, since it keeps you full longer and helps fight muscle loss. There are lots of good recipes for Fast Days, some are in the Fast Diet Book by Michael & Mimi. Others are on line, although you have to do a lot of picking and choosing. In 4+ years of Fasting, I have amassed many recipes. I’ll share some:

Chevre & Spinach Bake: 279 calories 7.3 g fat 2.9 g fiber 13.4 g protein 39 g carbs 230 mg Calcium PB GF This one is really delicious.
    1 two-oz egg 2 Tbsp cooked spinach, drained/squeezed and chopped [frozen works well, just be sure to thaw and drain it the night before] 2 tsp creamy chevre cheese lemon-dill seasoning + salt + pepper 2 oz pear OR 2 oz apple OR applesauce blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water 5-6 oz fruit smoothie, green smoothie or natural apple cider
    Combine the spinach, cheese, and seasonings. Whisk in the egg and pour into a lightly-oiled or spritzed ramekin. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the hot beverage and smoothie; plate the fruit. What a nice way to start the day.

Cesar Salad: 240 calories 9 g fat 3.9 g fiber 32.7 g protein 5.4 g carbs
    106 mg Calcium GF Straight out of the Fast Diet book, with quantities changed a teensy bit. Large portion, good flavor.
    2.5 slices Jones brand Canadian bacon 3 oz chicken breast, left over from a roast 2.5 c chopped romaine or 2.5 c. mesclun 1 T grated Parmesan salad dressing: 1 tsp olive oil + 1 tsp lemon juice Mexican oregano [Cesar Salad after all is of Mexican origin, not from Roman rulers] 3 oz tomatoes
    Heat the bacon on a hot, ungreased griddle until it begins to brown. Remove and slice into strips. Cut chicken meat into strips or chunks, as you wish. Roughly chop or tear the romaine, if using. Whisk the oil and lemon juice in a salad bowl. Add the lettuce and toss to coat with the dressing. Plate the greens and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and oregano. Arrange the meat on top of the greens. Isn’t that a big meal?!

Chicken/Turkey Dinner: 284 calories 4.5 g fat 9.3 g fiber 31.6 g protein 34.2 g carbs 58.2 mg Calcium PB Perfect use for left-over roasted or lemon-marinated grilled chicken breast. Instead of potatoes, enjoy the crunch of high-fiber crackers. So low in calories that you may even have some lovely fruit for dessert!
    4 ounces roasted breast meat, without skin 1/2 [3 0z] cup green beans 2 oz carrots, sliced as coins 2 pieces Finn Crisp crackers 1/2 cup sliced strawberries.

Keep at it!

thanks fasting me. since I have embraced a plant based whole foods diet I don’t eat any meat fish or chicken. that keeps my meals nice and simple the way I like it. that way I have little or nothing in the fridge or cupboards to tempt me. pretty weak willed fellow. pray that I can continue for I already feel the results, peace to all

amen to that.

Well in trying to re invent the wheel I have fallen off the wagon! I tried to go from 5:2 to 2:5 lol. Failed miserably and relapsed. O h well live and learn, back to the plan, hope everyone’s doing better than I am!

Hi today is my first fast day…not too bad though my tummy has started to rumble a bit. I will go to bed shirtly and hopefully sleep through it. I just wanted to ask if anyone can recomment a calorie counting app?

Hi today is my first fast day…so far not too bad, though my tummy has started to rumble a bit. I will go to bed shortly and hopefully sleep through it. I just wanted to ask if anyone can recommend a calorie counting app for android?

well im about to try my new plan which is no schedule meals and only eat when absolutely famished! you cannot succeed without trying. I am unable to walk for great lengths and it is also affecting my work, pls pray for me y’all

Hang in there buddy! You can do this! Perhaps try alternate day 24 hr fasts. I have been doing this since March 10. It gets easier. I don’t even think about it anymore; it’s just routine for me. Not sure about other fasting types but i do not feel like a ravenous beast on my eat/cheat days and always seem to go for healthier choices even if I do have some not so good foods around. I like my treats too but make my own, mini peanut butter cups are my favourite and I find that a couple of those really satisfy me! And I’m averaging a 2.2 pound loss per week. I feel so good and so full of energy it’s almost strange.
    I have also cut out sugar, breads, pasta, rice and potatoes for the most part…..and that was hard! But if I can do it, anyone can!

Kiki, you have the right idea to cut out those high carb foods. You might find that ‘sweet potatoes’ and brown rice could eventually find their way back in. White rice goes right to my hips, but not brown rice. But I’m not much of a rice eater anyhow.

Keep the faith, everyone.

‘high’ carb foods are not necessarily a problem, it is the refined carbs that raise the insulin levels immediately and are turned into fat!

Right you are, jrlmelmer. That’s why I specified brown rice and sweet potatoes. I’ve been working on a little weight spike of late and have lost 2 pounds as of today. 🙂

Lottie, Yorkshire, Kiki, jrmelmer, and Jackie: are you Fasting today?
    Today we had egg-avocado-crab-cottage cheese baked in a dish for breakfast. Really fast and easy. Tonight we’ll have a variation on ‘mixed sushi’ with brown rice, grilled beef, smoked salmon, egg, and cucumber.

Snowing here!

yuppers. i have managed two pounds myself, lets be grateful for all mercies, great an d small! keep up the good work, y’all

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply.