Tips for a total newbie!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Tips for a total newbie!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  goldmoon 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Hi all. Really excited about getting started on this plan today! Any tips about starting out – meals, exercise etc? I have more than 3 stones to lose and am feeling daunted!

Tips:

Read Michael Mosley’s book.
    Read the FAQ on this site:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/michael-answers-frequently-asked-questions/
    Start weighing and taking your measures today and do it every week.
    Don’t give up!

Thank you fastdutch girl! Will do!

Hi Poppy, good luck!
    My tips:
    1. plan ahead what you will eat.
    2. At the end of the day you can decide how well it worked and make changes for your next fast day.
    3. Make it as easy and sustainable as you can. You want it to become your normal way of life.
    4. Look for groups here (follow ‘active topics’ or ‘recent posts’ and you will see what groups there are and can decide if you want to join any of them).
    I follow one for my geography, and one for my age group and a couple of recipe threads, and a science one I started. It means I can chat and share every day, which has been lovely.

Cheers

Hi Poppy,

I lost 44 pounds over the course of a year, so about what you want to lose. If you have a sweet tooth then detoxing from sugar will take about a month. Avoid sugar like the plague. That means no chocolates, biscuits cakes etc. Avoid fruit juice like the plague. You want fruit, have a whole piece of fruit. Avoid breakfast cereals like the plague. Avoid grain based foods like bread, pasta, pizza. Avoid rice and potatoes. Avoid sugary drinks including diet drinks.

Get most of your carbs from veggies and have fruit in moderation. Go for the berry type fruits. Don’t be scared of eating fats like cheese, avocados, high fat low sugar yogurt. Protein like chicken, tuna, tofu, beans.

Basically, simple carbs and sugar will spike your insulin which means most of what you eat will go to fat storage. Fats do not spike insulin. Proteins cause a moderate spike. Whey protein that they use in all those weight watchers type supplements is pure crap and spikes your insulin. Avoid all those shakes. Eat lots of bulky salads with veggies in them.

Good luck it works if you give it a genuine try.

Hi Poppy:

Here is most of the information you will need to be successful on 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

The Obesity Code by Jason Fung should also be required reading.

Thanks everyone! Am feeling really positive about this…!

This is really helpful bigbooty! Thanks so much and well done on your results so far!

Hi Poppy,

I agree with Bigbooty – she is absolutely correct that for weight-loss and other health-benefits one needs to eat, not only on fast-days but at all times, only the kind of foods that improves one’s health and eliminates the risk of developing metabolic syndrome. The question when to eat is essential too.

What I found the most effective as general fast-diet guidelines:

If possible, to keep at least 12-16 hrs eating window, ie time-gap between 2 main meals, on both fast-days and eat-days. (Whenever I can, I do 20 hrs fasting and have only dinner, even on eat days.)

To eat only healthy food, ie whole/real foods and home-cooked meals, and to omit all processed/prepackaged foods, sodas, preservatives, etc.

To omit all forms of added sugars and all refined carbs, such as white bread and pastries.

My stance is based on Dr. Mosley’s explanation (his books, articles and posts on these forums), on my general research of IF diets (see eg: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/new-science-diabesity-hormonal-obesity-xi/) and on my own experience.

When I encounter conflicting statements (eg some replies on thread: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/eat-matters/), I do rely on Dr. Mosley’s research – that is a proven trustworthy and authoritative source. And of course, I keep doing what works for me.

Bigbooty’s summary is so precise and to the point, that I copy it here:

“Avoid sugar like the plague. That means no chocolates, biscuits cakes etc. Avoid fruit juice like the plague. You want fruit, have a whole piece of fruit. Avoid breakfast cereals like the plague. Avoid grain based foods like bread, pasta, pizza. Avoid rice and potatoes. Avoid sugary drinks including diet drinks.

Get most of your carbs from veggies and have fruit in moderation. Go for the berry type fruits. Don’t be scared of eating fats like cheese, avocados, high fat low sugar yogurt. Protein like chicken, tuna, tofu, beans.

Basically, simple carbs and sugar will spike your insulin which means most of what you eat will go to fat storage. Fats do not spike insulin. Proteins cause a moderate spike. Whey protein that they use in all those weight watchers type supplements is pure crap and spikes your insulin. Avoid all those shakes. Eat lots of bulky salads with veggies in them.”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.