three weeks in

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hi, I’ve been committed to the diet after watching the show and hope to drop a few kilos, (not many), increase focus and generally be a healthier person, but, I am having terrible troubles with my bowels. Although I drink a lot of water already, I am a bit bound up and have been since starting this diet. Unfortunately, and sorry for the detail, but it has caused tears and a fair bit of pain. I’ve read through the other posts and can see that psyllium husks seem to be the most recommended but what I really want to know is, why has the change in my diet caused this? If anything I am eating a much healthier diet and eating less rubbish and being more selective in my diet.
    Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated as at the moment, I’m dreading each visit to to the loo!
    kaz

I’m very interested to hear any responses to this too… I have the same issue and have been fasting for about 4 weeks. I’m eating more veg than ever and less junk, less alcohol etc so what is the reason?

I think the basic answer is that it takes your body a while to adjust to the new regimen, especially (as you’ve mentioned in your case KimG) if you’ve significantly increased/reduced your intake of one foodgroup or another at the same time as introducing fasting. What you have eaten, as well as the time that you’ve eaten it, can make a huge difference to your … ahem….’outcome’.

Most people on here will have experienced some changes to the workings of their digestive systems (*euphemism alert*) when starting out or making changes to the way they fast, it’s not unusual but if you are having serious issues – tearing etc. – then it is best to see a doctor I would think.

Hiya, I had a similar problem when I did the South Beach diet a few years ago which totally cuts out all carbs. Have you significantly reduced the amount of carbs you are eating since starting 5:2? If so try to have some wholegrain cereal, bread, pasta or whatever on your non-fast days as most of us need a bit of “roughage” to get things moving. Eating fruit before your meal can help as your gut can digest them easier than if you eat them on top of a lot of food. When I was pregnant and a bit “bound up” the midwife told me to have a spoonful of linseeds on my cereal in the morning and that did help – you can buy them in supermarkets.
    You may be as well to see your doc about the bleeding etc but be aware that some docs don’t like the sound of 5:2 and might try to put you off doing it so it might be an idea to go forearmed with Dr Mosley’s book so they realise it’s not some extreme weight-loss programme. Claire

I read somewhere its best to get calories and vitamins (and fibre) from vegetables rather than fruit.You can have quite a range and amount of veg and I think my homemade ratatouille is very filling and helps with ‘bulk'(if you know what I mean)
    If I were to suffer to the point of tears I would add 2teaspoons of bran to my porridge each morning each morning.

thanks for your responses but my diet is a really good one and has been for years. I only eat Rye bread or whole grain breads when I do eat bread, I normally eat an untested muesli with bran flakes, fresh fruit and a nut and seed combo for breakfast every day bar fast day so I do think I am getting fibre in my diet. Evening meals are always full of veggies or salads and little red meat.
    I will be ding some phylum husks to the muesli mix this morn to see if it helps. Otherwise I’m finding the fast day is getting easier and easier, I drink bucket loads of water and as I only have about 180 cal for breakie, i allow myself a few cups of tea with milk through the day and savoiur them like fast day treats
    thanks for the feedback, i really appreciate it

karen

Hey karen, sorry to hear about this problem. I myself have experienced a combination of things. Sometimes I can go 3 or 4 days without “outcome” and then sometimes I have to run to the toilet 6 times a night!

I am afraid I can’t add anything to what the others have said, and your eating pattern does sound very healthy. Maybe the advice of some others to see a doctor isn’t a bad idea!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.