Success story

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  mitches66 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hello. I saw Michael Mosley’s program on television in April of this year. I was very interested in the success for weight management as well as the health benefits. I had been successful in losing 30 pounds over 4 years using Weight Watchers and it was staying off. It was tedious and I think the program can make an unhappy relationship with food. BUT it was successful. I had 15 more pounds to go to be in a healthy weight range. Also my cholesterol numbers were still high (258 total) and blood pressure was edging up (135/80).
    So i began the Fast Diet. Loved it from the start. So much easier than WW.

My doctor’s visit was perfect this month. Cholesterol is now 205 (HDL is 80 so that number is in a healthy range) Blood pressure is 110/70 and the last 15 pounds are gone. My BMI is now 22.

It works and it’s such a comfortable program. I feel so good. Thank you.

Many congratulations! 😀

Given your wonderful success, do you have tips for others? I have also had success with 5:2, but still struggle with cravings and overindulgence – how do you manage these?

Are there some foods you don’t eat, or do you allow yourself to have whatever providing you don’t exceed your TDEE?

Do you have a particular maintenance strategy?

Hope you don’t mind the questions.

Many thanks 🙂
    Sassy

Thank you for the good wishes!

My most important and most successful strategy is exercise. I try to do some form of aerobic work everyday. I have noticed that it reduces my stress leaving me much less tempted to snack on things I shouldn’t. I have nothing off-limits and this helps as well. If I don’t have to think about something I can’t have then it I am less tempted. My diet description is that I eat ‘strictly anything’

The fasting in itself seems to rein in my appetite. I notice that the day after a fast I am much less hungry.

My fasting day strategy is to have a coffee with cream in the morning and then nothing but tea and water until dinner which will be early and most likely vegetables with some protein. And I exercise on fasting days too.

Hope that helps!

j

Thanks j 🙂

Your approach makes sense. What sorts of exercise do you include as aerobic? Unfortunately I am limited in what I can do as I am recovering from a knee reconstruction, and I am 4-6 months away from being able to do normal exercise. I have started walking again, but can’t do it everyday as it does irritate muscles/ ligaments in and around the knee 🙁 I must check out when I can use the exercise bike again…

Viewing no food as off limits is definitely in keeping with the 5:2 approach, not that I need to tell you that. I think I do that??? But then have problems stopping with just one biscuit or choccie…

Are you still doing 2 fast days, or have you switched to 6:1? And have you ever bothered with 16:8, or its variations?

Thanks again 😀
    Sassy

Hi Sassy,

I have switched to 6:1 now. Have maintained my weight for a month now this way. The appetite check is still the main benefit. Just that one day helps me stay sane for the rest of the week. I could see switching to 30:2 maybe in the future.

I am a stair-climber addict. I love to hike and backpack so I use the stair-climber in the gym in the winter months to stay in good cardio fitness. For me it’s the best exercise. No joint impact but plenty of challenge. I also swim laps occasionally. Swimming might be really good for you given your knee limitations. It is very challenging!

Best to you and I hope your knee is healing quickly.

Jill

HI! Nice to see a fellow Oregonian on this site!! Where are you located? I’m
    in Portland, near downtown! Maybe we can hook up for a no-cal cup of tea sometime!

Marilyn in Johns Landing

Stairs… Damn I hate stairs 😛 Or well, they don’t like me. I should really use them more I guess, they are great exercise.

Great to read about your story / maintenance, you’re one of the few here on maintenance 🙂 I hope to join your ranks in a few months!

@oregonfaster

“I am a stair-climber addict. I love to hike and backpack ”

I also enjoy stair climbing, although I tend to forget to do my stairs.

How do you maintain your motivation?

Hi oregonfaster its good to hear your success story, lots of inspiration for others.
    Well done.
    Elaine 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.