Struggling!

This topic contains 23 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Stef. 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• I am only on my second fast day today but I am struggling so much. I was doing so well and managed to fast without any food from 9pm last night until 14:30 today, when I had two handfuls of steamed broccoli. But now I feel like I am going to eat my desk if I dont eat something! I really dont want to mess up. HELP!

Gosh I hear you!!! That was totally me for my first few fasts, but I promise you, it gets easier!!

I try and put off eating for as long as I can too, because as soon as I start, its as though my belly remembers what its missing and wants more more more!!! I have really paid a lot of attention to what calories I’m feeding myself on fast days, got to make them all count and last as long as possible. For me the salty foods keep me fuller for longer, so snacking on olives has been a big help. I like to have a decent lunch around 2pm and then a snack around 5 and then dinner at 8pm, that way I don’t go to bed with a growling stomach. What are you planning to eat for the rest of the day?

I write a weekly blog post about my meal plans and progress, feel free to have a peek and see what foods I’ve been eating. I’m 7 weeks in and other than succumbing to christmas temptations, am having great success, so stick with it!!!!

Good luck xx Meg
    http://meg-made.blogspot.co.uk

Before you eat something you need to take a moment walk away from that yummy desk and walk around the office. While doing so steer clear of the kitchen and ask yourself, “Am I really hungry or is this all just in my head.” I find 99% of the time it is all in my head. I have a serious issue with food, mentally (I believe passed down generation to generation in my family).

So for me it is a mind game not a stomach game. So take a moment walk away and really think about your next step. I promise you that if you walk and realize it is in your mind you will. Believe me you will NOT starve if you don’t eat. What you will feel is so proud that you made it.

Don’t give up it will pass and then you can get back to work.

NatashaD, I fully sympathize with you but it does get easier.

For me it works best if I put off eating anything until early evening and then have a light meal. As Megmade is saying, once I eat even a very small thing it seems like my tummy is waking up and wanting more!

So the best is to let him sleep and wake him up towards the evening. This way I can also eat a little bit bigger dinner and have a good night sleep.

Good luck with it!
    Stef

Hey Guys

Thanks for you encouragement! I did manage to put off eating until about 6:45 in the evening and Im so glad I did! After my two first fast days I stepped on the scales this morning and I appear to be 4lbs lighter! The hunger was totally worth it.

I had decided before my first fast day to do 4:£ for the first two weeks to kick start the process (Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so I have the weekend to relax) and I am also watching my TDEE carefully on non fast days. I cant wait to see where I am after the 6th fast day!

I hope you are all doing well. It is definitely good advice to wait to eat – the brocolli I had was more calories than I wanted to part with mid way through the day and it just reminded my tummy what it had been missing.

Onwards and upwards! x

Good luck NatashaD. If you stick to it, it’ll become a routine and it won’t mess with your mind as much. The results will provide plenty of encouragements.

No no Natasha… Onwards and downwards 😉

Ha ha, I like it Nika 😉

Glad you kept going, its so worth it, especially when you see the lbs drop off.
    Elaine 🙂

I am glad to hear about your success well done! I am at the moment also doing Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays as I’m slightly inpatient and I want to lose the last 2 kg before Christmas. I guess then the hard stuff starts with maintaining the weight. Anyway keep us posted about your success!
    Stef.

I stole that from someone Natasha, but thought it fit! ^^

When is your next fastday?

My next fast day is today Nika, and I would usually fast again on Friday but I have a social event with work friends, so thinking to fast on Saturday instead which should be interesting! I find it so much harder to control cravings at home, especially as hubby will be at work so there will be no one to chat with to distract me. Looks like the cat will be in for an earful of moans about being hungry!

Thanks for your comments Elaine and Stef. You guys seem to be doing so well, congrats! I have stopped weighing daily now, and I can wait for my weigh in on Sunday night! (NEVER thought I would look forward to a weigh in….EVER!)

Looking forward to a weigh in, a positive sign. Going on the scale once a week instead of daily should also help with your sanity. 😀

Hope you get great results.

How’d you do Natasha?

Hey Hey Guys! After two weeks of 4:3 I weighed after my last fast day and I am 5lbs down in total! Much slower weight loss in the second week but I am happy with 5lbs. My clothes dont feel so tight and I feel less bloated. I was only saying to my husband yesterday that on any other diet I have tried, I barely make it to the end of two weeks before giving up and feeling thoroughly fed up. But not this time 😉

So on to week 3 – first fast day of the week today, and I have to say I have woken up not really feeling like fasting today. Didn’t sleep so well, and I am expecting my thing-a-majig tomorrow (I have censored that out for the boys, but you ladies know what I mean ;)) so I am totally craving a bacon sandwich/biscuits/chips etc. Its going to be hard today, and to top it off I am going to the gym after work so dinner wont be at least until 8pm…10 hours from now. But I have two Christmas parties this week so I must fast today and Wednesday to ensure I look thorougly fabulous in the gorgeous outfit I bought over the weekend!

How are you guys doing? x

Haha I got my thing-a-majig yesterday and I’m actually pleasantly surprised that I didn’t experience any more cravings and stuff like that! Maybe it’s also a psychology thing, when you expect cravings you’ll get cravings?

Congrats on the 5lb by the way!

Thanks Nika! 😉 To my surprise, I managed to fast perfectly yesterday! The cravings subsided by about 11am and the rest of the day passed by without a problem. Woop woop! I weighed this morning and I dont seem to have lost anymore this week as yet, but I did try on a pair of work trousers that have not fitted me for months and they actually fitted!!! Only the slightest hint of a muffin top now, compared to the not so slight muffin top a few months back 😀

Aaah those are the good moments. A bit ago I discovered a second pair of jeans (of the 2 trousers I own) that’ll come of without undoing anything.

May have to go shopping.

Natasha, congrats on the 5lbs! Superb that you stuck to it. It does get easier doesn’t it?

The funny thing is that my stomach shrunk so much that I have difficulties eating my 500 cal in one go. Yesterday I had my fast day and in the evening I had chicken, brussels sprouts, broccoli and salad and I could not eat up my plate! My stomach hurt after dinner!

I drink tons of water and green tea on my fast days and rarely feel hungry.

Hehe Nika, well if you are the proud owner of two pairs of trousers and one of them is in free fall it is perhaps time to go shopping? Not sure though whether you will be very successful in Hangzhou? Perhaps you have to learn how to sew 😉

Anyhow I hope you all have a great week!
    Stef.

Natasha, you are doing a fab job! Are you still doing 4:3? I really admire you! 5:2 is copable for me. I’m actually enjoying my Monday fast! (Mad huh?!) I’ve yet to get my mind into enjoying Thursday but I’m working on it! A weekend ‘off’ keeps me going! Keep up the tremendously good work 😀

Haha Stef, I’m the proud owner of two pairs of trousers which are BOTH coming off without undoing the button! They’re not falling off me yet (one of them might, but I wear a belt).
    I understand that there is a HEMA in Hangzhou though, so I may go there – or at least some sort of store that sells basic clothes (not all those fancy girly pink fluffy mini sugarholes you see everywhere)

Not feeling so swell again, so may pick up some green tea on my way home. Sounds nice.

Well done Nika! The day I can take off my “skinny day” trousers without undoing any buttons I will run down my street naked! Ha ha! Hope you feel better soon, nothing worse than feeling under the weather.

Stef I totally agree with you about the shrinking stomach, however my brain has got some catching up to do. Had a non-fast day yesterday and hubby made his scrumptious bolognaise (which is shameful as I am the Italian one in our relationship!) and I really could have managed with a modest portion, but as old habits die hard I had a mammoth portion, followed by a smaller portion about an hour and a half later. Suffice to say I was more bloated than a hot air balloon and really uncomfortable. Lesson learned.

Thanks for your comments Jollyjo! I am still dong 4:3, only really because I want to lose weight at a good pace. I intended to only do it for the first two weeks but weight loss has been slower in week 2 and 3 so I dont want to go down to 5:2 in case I completely stop (or go in reverse). And I totally LOVE the flat stomach effect the day after a fast day! Its an addictive feeling. I hope you are doing well too 🙂

Haha! Natasha, please shoot a video when you run down the street naked. The idea made me laugh out loud. Like you I’m staying on 4:3 at the moment because I do not want things to slow down.

I also love pasta! I am still calorie counting on non-fast days and I am horrified to see how quickly I can reach my TDE… It is not the big portions but quite often the small things that I have trouble with. A cookie here, a biscuit there, a little bit of ice cream (well usually not that little 😉 ) and wow am I quickly over my TDE.

I am frankly worried how I will ever be able to do 5:2 without calorie counting. If I understand it correctly, then the 5:2 way of life does not mean to only fast two days a week, but you have to eat healthy on the other five days as well. I do eat healthy most of the times but I do like a bit of junk food here and there and have I said that I would die for ice cream?

So for me at the moment it seems to be either 4:3 or ADF if I want to keep my weight down.

Anyhow time will tell, and at some point I will just try 5:2 without calorie counting and I will see what happens.
    Best wishes,
    Stef.

hi guys just jummping in, i did 4 3 for ages and lost well on it, like you i was very worried about going back to 5 2, it took 4 weeks for things to settle back down and weight to start shifting again, i was up and down each week in the 4 weeks settling time, i started 4 3 because weight loss had slowed to almost nothing, if you go back and look at rockys feed fast hiit posts from sept to dec you can see how 4 3 and going back to 5 2 affected my weight. best of luck everyone and keep on going xx

fast for life, thanks for the warning…I might start with doing one week 4:3 and then the next 5:2 so the shock is not to great.
    Stef.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply.