Starting Today

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  BSJ123 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• As I am just starting today and this is the first forum I have ever written on, I just wanted to say, I was interested in two aspects of the book.
    The dementia side and losing some belly and boob fat! I would be a little worried of not being able to eat at lunch, it seems a long time from 8am bowl of porridge to 7ish chicken. We like to eat as a family, so I also hope that will work.
    I have never really had a problem with weight, I swim 4/5 times a week and walk the dogs twice a day, then run around all day doing stuff, but since menopause realised that there were areas that are getting wider! I have also always been fearful of dementia so the sound of rebooting the brain is very interesting.
    So any tips for getting beyond lunch would be great!

Why not skip breakfast instead of lunch? Or 3 small meals each day. Find a pattern that suit you. Eliminate sugar and processed carbs. I lump porridge into the processed carbs camp. Some do not, but I do. Processed for me means you wont find that food source in nature in the form youre eating it Get your carbs from veggies, legumes, some fruit. Always whole fruit, never fruit juice or smoothies. No pasta, pizza, biscuits, cakes bread, breakfast cereals etc. If its grain based don’t have it.

Your brain can utilise ketone bodies for fuel rather than glucose. So if you are worried about dementia go for a ketogenic diet. Be prepared to grit your teeth and guts it out for a few months as you get used to 5:2. It will take at least one month for your system to detox and up to six months for your liver to actually start working properly.

It works if you give it a genuine try. As with most things in life.

I’m with bb on skipping breakfast. Adults don’t need it and the only people who benefit from us eating it are food producers/manufacturers.

As someone who used to eat from the moment I opened my eyes I reached a point where I could not face food first thing in the morning so I used to eat my breakfast after I had been up for 2-3 hours. When I started 5:2 I realised that 500 calories split into 3 meals wasn’t going to work so I gave it up altogether and discovered I was no more hungry at lunchtime than when I was eating breakfast!
    I have now moved on to only eating dinner on fast days as I can have a decent sized meal and feel satisfied. I’ve also given up eating before lunchtime on non fast days which means an extended fasting period every day which is good for perceived health benefits of fasting.

It’ll take a few weeks for your body to get used to the change in your eating habits, but you can do it.

Good luck 🙂

Hi BB and Amazon,
    Thanks for the tips, surprised about porridge, as I always thought that was great for making hunger pangs disappear and making you feel full.

It is now 6.15pm and it has been a great first day, no probs so far, maybe it will get worse. Porridge for breakfast, then nothing since apple at 5, just made butter bean hot pot for two, out of the fast diet book. Lots of water, coffee and one tea. So very happy, very energetic all day which is great, still able to swim and walk the dogs. So onward and upward.

Thank you

Hi again,

Porage does fill you up but some 5:2 ers such as bb are very strict regarding carbs and sugar and will not eat bread, porage oats, rice etc whereas others will eat such things in small amounts.

I occasionally make Bircher muesli which I eat at lunchtime and always use 30g of oats and I eat homemade bread, potatoes and the occasional helping of pasta or rice. I rarely use sugar except in baking and now use half of the amount specified. So far no-one who has tasted it has noticed the difference!

No foods are forbidden on 5:2 but as you become an experienced faster you’ll notice what fills you up, what doesn’t, what makes you hungry a short time later and what doesn’t.
    You may also find that your tastes change, many fasters report finding things they used to enjoy far too sweet.

Hi BSJ and welcome:

Here is some more basic information on 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hello I have started my 5:2 plan yesterday. Just completed my first 500 cal day or 36 hours if you count time from last meal 7.30pm (Monday night} to 7.30am breakfast (Wednesday morning – today}. I work nights. So hopefully I can incorporate fasting whilst I am in bed asleep!

My aim is to lose 8kg. I have already lost over 4 stones and would like to lose the hardest bit the last stone or so.

Hi All,
    Thanks Amazon and Simcoeluv, yes all those things make sense, it just seems mad that you can eat normally on all the other days.

Good luck Sturgeon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.