Shakes on fast days?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Dimples67 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Wondering if anyone is making life easier by taking plant protein shakes on fast days? The ones I want to take are 500 cal. And 80 gr. Protein for 3-4 shakes. What do you think? ThX

Try it and see if it works. I have miso soup every fast day and I love that it means I don’t have to think about what I am eating on fast days.

I use a “medical food” (their term not mine) shake on fast days. They are 150 calories per serving. I have one shake as my first food on a fast day and then a very large green salad with a small amount of blue cheese crumbles or a flax seed oil dressing. If I eat a green salad with no cheese or dressing then I will have a second shake during my fast days.

For 500 calories one could eat a huge plate of raw vegetables. It would be really big and take a long time to eat it.

Hi deykask!! I know — veggies are the best, but I only like them with dressing or dip:(

Hi Seekin178! THANKS — that is exactly what I like about the shakes. You don’t have to think about calories!! What is medical food?? I am in US, and I had purchased a product called Fast Blast, but I don’t like the taste.

Seekin178 — how has your weight loss been?? THX

My shake was originally suggested by my primary physician who was always more open minded about holistic approaches. Unfortunately he now is in Administration and teaches but doesn’t see patients anymore. The brand, no promotion intended, is Metagenics UltraMeal Cardio 360, pea and rice protein in natural chocolate flavor. It’s pretty pricey but a go to item for me in a pinch. I actually dilute it a bit more then the directions call for by using two scoops of the powder to about 12 oz. of water. I then rinse the mixing cup with another 12 oz. of water and down that as well. Back to my doctor’s comments. He described it as, “kind of a shot gun approach to nutritional deficiencies”. If you are chronically missing a nutrient it is probably in this mix. Again, not promoting or demoting just sharing my perspective. If you want to know more send me your questions.

Hello GOODAUNT,

I have kept a log of my vitals for almost 30 days but I actually started about 45 days ago while I was reading The Clever Gut Diet by Dr. Mosley. I was at 278 to 280 pounds for 5′ 10.5″ and age 54 years 10 months. I’m down about 18 to 20 pounds in the 45 days. The first 20 always comes off fast for me as I start eating much cleaner so don’t be concerned that it is too much too fast. It slows dramatically now that the initial phase is over. I’ll update my Tracker in the next day or two.

seekin178 WOW i will take it. you have done great!!! Thanks

Hello Goodaunt,
    I have been doing fast days with the help of a low calorie shake for about 2 months.
    I think the freedom of not thinking about food all day and knowing I would be having 3 shakes during the day really helped. Nothing worse than thinking about food while not trying to eat it… I also don’t recommend watching the food channel, bye bye Paul Hollywood =)
    Yesterday, I tried my first day of herbal tea and water and found I didn’t really feel any worse than on my shake fast days, so go figure.
    Anyway good luck with your fd’s, they still work.

Thanks, Dimples!! I start tomorrow. I will do shakes and something called “Fast Blast” smoothies. I will let you know how I do.

Hi all,
    Just checking in… How did your shake fast day go Goodaunt?
    I think it’s a great way to start off, you can always adjust your intake on fd’s as you go along.
    I’ve had 2 herbal tea fd’s this week, not as difficult as I thought, although the hunger dragon reared it’s head more on the second day.
    I’m always mystified how I feel so un-hungry the morning after a fast, when I could happily chew my own arm off the night before…Ha!

Hello my friends,
    Physically demanding fast day. The dogs woke me up at 3:00 and I couldn’t go back to sleep. Read and did quiet household chores, finished the paper’s puzzles and crossword all before the family woke up to start their day. I started with water/apple cider vinegar and lemon juice, black coffee and a nasty green powder dissolved in yet more water. It is one of the few things I do only for the nutritional value. It tastes like eating a bail of alfalfa.
    Then I drove one son to school, went to the grocery store on the way home and made him some turkey taco chili as the food selection is limited in the house right now. Took the trailer to pick up retaining wall blocks, loaded and unloaded the trailer by hand. Then back to school to pick up the boy who had a very short day today. More water and then a 150 calorie high fiber shake. My big mistake of the day was downing the last of some chia seeds I had soaking in the fridge. When I logged my food later I was disappointed to learn that they cost me 150 of my 600 calories. Dinner was a huge spinach salad, tomatoes, cukes, peppercinies, garlic stuffed olives without dressing. Boy I missed that second shake. Walked the dogs and kept drinking water. Fighting cravings but I will likely head to bed soon. Tomorrow is my daughter’s birthday dinner with cake and ice cream. I’m looking forward to eating out.
    All my best.

Today is my first fast day returning to 5:2. I’m doing mostly shakes and soup. After a lifetime of cooking, it’s a pleasure just to keep it simple. I’m also loving the new 800 calorie limitation.

Hi all =)
    Yay, I’m down to double figures on the scales(kgs), 5 and a bit kilo’s down.
    I’ve been having a small internal battle, with my willpower wavering.
    But just thinking of this as a new WOL has calmed me somewhat.
    I can control my weight this way, I just need to keep going.
    Having dinner after a FD I was half way through and thought “I don’t need to finish this, I’m full” … a revelation, It was roast lamb too!
    Small steps folks.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply.