Scared but Excited!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Noelleblue 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hello! I just did my first fast day yesterday, and after being nervous as hell it actually (as everyone says!) wasn’t that painful and it didn’t effect my ability to work. Right before bed was the hardest period, but I distracted myself with a book and yammering at friends. Does that hopefully get easier over time? That was it, though, and it was simply hunger.

But I’m a 35 year old professional in the Washington, DC area, and I lost 90 lbs at 16 after being a very heavy adolescent/teenager. 20 years later I’ve kept half of it off largely through solidly healthy eating and tons of exercising, however doing so has gotten harder and harder as I get older. I’d love to lose 30 pounds and find a way to stay healthy while still enjoying good food over the next 40 years-however many, and my sincere hope is that 5:2 is the path forward.

Very pleased to be here, and love reading about everyone’s experiences! It really helps to feel like one isn’t doing this alone. (especially since many of my friends are giving me the sideeye)

Best,
    Emily

I did my first fast day yesterday too. I really hope it works for you and me too 🙂
    I am a 41 mother of 4 who has been dieting on and off since I was 16, to get rid of adolescent weight, for my wedding, to be fit for getting pregnant, to lose baby weight (4x !!!!) and now at 41 I just can’t shift it so well. I am also hoping it will encourage my husband to give it a go if nothing else to stop him snoring!

Good luck

Welcome Noelleblue. I’m so glad your first day fasting wasn’t awful! My DH and I too have had the “sideeye” from friends/family, and none of them seem to believe that it is possible to go without food for more than a few hours!The best bit of advice I can give you is……. keep dipping in and out of the forum, the posts are a real help, especially if you find that your weight loss has slowed/stopped. It happens to all of us at some point, but if you plod on through it sorts itself out in the end. Did you take your measurements? They will keep changing, even if the scales are being horrible to you!. I think the health benefits are, for me, the most exciting thing about this diet. I want to do as much as I can to enable me to be an outrageous old lady when the time comes. 🙂

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    Karen

Emma2301. Welcome to you, too. It sounds like you and I have a similar “bouncy” weight history. My DH has joined me in my quest, and his snoring has eased, so keep the faith! Good luck to you and your husband, let us know how things are going.
    Karen

The good news is that if my husband and I are anything to go by, it is possible to lose the excess weight even when you are over 60 with this strategy! I now weigh less than I have since I was in my teens, having lost 44lbs.
    Good luck to all new starters!

Also chiming in to support the others. I’m 17 weeks in and lost 18 lbs. I will be 72 on Thursday. Fast Days are so much easier now. I often have cravings, but rarely do I actually feel “hungry”. I am at my lowest weight in 30 years ! I wasn’t obese, but definitely overweight.
    Love it!

And yes, losing weight definitely stops people from snoring!

Emma – thank you for writing, good luck to you also! Yes, I’m the same way, so much on-and-off-ing of dieting, and increasingly no bodily response. May it work for both us and your hubs!!

Karen – Heh yes let us all be outrageous old ladies and lads that have absolutely no problem chasing people off our lawns. *polishes up the ol’ cane*

I haven’t taken my measurements, and I think I’ll do so! I actually wasn’t planning on any specific tracking and instead doing what I’ve done for the past decade, just paying attention to my clothes. But after reading here for a while I think it’d do me some good to have a measurable way to track change.

Thank you again, dipping in and out will definitely happen!

Kris & Golfin Goldy – Absolutely wonderful to hear, thank you! And congratulations, that weight loss is fabulous.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.