Saying Hello from Canada

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  judytoronto 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hello All! I’ve just begun the 5:2 diet. Today is my first low calorie day. I’ve chosen Mondays and Thursdays as my fast days, and at this point (9:30 am) I’ve drunk a lot of tea and a big glass of water. No hunger pangs yet.

I have a lot of weight to lose, over 100 lbs. My highest weight was 308 lbs, and since 2012 I’ve been following a whole foods plant-based diet. It helped me drop 50 lbs, which is fabulous, but for over a year now I’ve been stuck at the same size. I’ve tried omitting oil, upping my vegetable and salad intake, etc., but doing that day after day gets really hard. I feel deprived and frankly, quite miserable. I want to go out to a restaurant 1-2 times per week, I want to socialize and enjoy spending time with my friends, get together for a meal now and then. It’s difficult enough getting meals that are plant-based in restaurants (unless it’s a vegan restaurant but there aren’t a lot of those), then you toss in the no-oil rule and it’s just…..sad.

I’m thrilled with the idea of being able to eat 2 or 3 slices of the vegan pizza that Pizza Nova makes (if you’re in Toronto, it’s the best vegan pizza – I think it beats Apiecalypse any day), or having an honest-to-goodness stir fry on Saturday night. Trust me, frying up vegetables in water is okay, but it’s just not the real thing. I’ll still stick mostly to my no oil rule, because I do feel better without it in all my foods, but I’m thrilled with the idea of allowing 2 meals per week that have something fried.

I realize I sound a bit “hard core” when it comes to ways of eating, but for me, with my family history of cancer, Alzheimers, and stroke, the research shows that a plant-based diet is probably my best bet of reducing the chance I’ll get one of those illnesses. I want to be around for a little while longer.

I’ve done the numbers, and I am getting plenty of protein – the fact is that unless you’re chronically calorie deficient, there is no risk of protein deficiency. Just mentioning the protein issue in case anyone is wondering. 🙂 I also take a B12 supplement, and Vitamin D during the winter months, so everything’s covered.

The final thing: I am NOT an angry vegan. You can talk about barbecue, meats, cheese, eggs, etc., and it is no big deal. We all find what way of eating works best for us. For me, eating plant-based gives me good energy and a clear mind. I am grateful to have discovered this is what is best for me. If eating paleo works best for you, then that’s great. To each his own. 🙂 I wish everyone a great day – especially for those of you who are fasting on Mondays!

Cheers!
    Judy

Hi Judy:

I’m Tina from California. Congratulations on starting the 5:2 diet. I started the 5:2 way of live in March and lost 27 pounds. I’ve also been on the Whole Foods Plant Based Diet (WFPB) for several years. Ironically, I never lost weight on WFPB, but I sure do feel cleaner and healthier, plus this also helps with my family history of cancer and stroke. I also am not an angry vegan. I still cook meat for my family. I just mass cook my WFPB food ahead of time and eat that while my family eats meat. I’m trying to convince them of the healthier WFPB diet, but that’s a personal journey they must make.

Over time, I found out that eating fat (oils) didn’t make me fat, carbs make me fat. So I started eating better carbs (beans and veggies) and less carbs with a low glycemic index. Then the pounds literally started falling off.

Another trick that helps me stay on the WFPB diet is that I occasionally have soy meat, seitan, or tofu to help stave off meat cravings. It’s amazing how some of these faux meats taste just like meat, especially soyrizo. My favorite satiating protein is pressing extra firm tofu, and then marinating it and then stir frying it with veggies.

On my fasting day, I drinking lots of fluids and try to not eat anything solid until about 2 p.m., then I eat a small tofu salad around dinnertime with my family. That helps me lose about 2 pounds overnight. Of course, on your nonfast days, you might gain some weight back, but before you know it, your next fasting day approaches and then you lose weight again.

There may be some weight plateaus in the future. I finally realized that the plateaus happened because I failed to realize that I had to adjust how much I was eating on my nonfast days, because my TDEE changed as I lost weight. That means, I had to eat less even on my nonfast days. I don’t know why it took me so long to realize this critical factor. Once I did, the weight started falling off again.

There are many more people on WFPB on this forum. I found that the 5:2 diet is the only plan that really works for me. Good luck on your journey!

Hello Tina! Right off the bat I am very envious of you living in sunny California. I spent a wonderful week outside of San Francisco a few years ago, and it was incredible. I would love to go back!

I hear you about not losing weight on WFPB diet, and you’re right about the carbs. I used to eat a lot of pasta and bread, thinking it was okay as long as it was “whole grain” bread and “gluten free or whole wheat” pasta. There are some people who swear by the “Pegan” diet, a vegan diet without refined carbs. So I stay away from bread and pasta most days. But I have to be real with myself. Every once in awhile, as in once per month, I have to eat a couple of slices of pizza. It’s probably my favourite food, next to Thai food!

It sounds like you are doing great, 27 lbs weight loss is fantastic. I hope I can have the same level of weight loss – losing an average of 4 lbs per month is perfect. Do you still have more weight to lose? Or are you right where you want to be?

Wishing you a wonderful day, and all the best to you. Thanks for sharing, it’s wonderful to hear how well the 5:2 diet is working for you.

Hi Judy:

I’m still trying to lose an additional 30-40 pounds, but my husband and I keep on going on vacation because we’re retired. So my diet falls off the rails quite often. Otherwise, I’d have lost a lot more weight by now. But I’m happy losing it slowly.

I hear you about the carbs. Sometimes I get a real need for ramen and I chow down, but then I gain weight. Also, as Dr. Campbell said in “The China Study,” that even if people on the WFPB diet indulge in a little meat now and then, we shouldn’t “kick” ourselves, just as long as we get back on track. I’ll admit that I get a meat attack every now and then and steal a small bit of meat from my husband’s dish, but 99% of the rest of the time, I’m on the WFPB diet.

I decided a long time ago not to think of food as a reward, and instead think it as just sustenance. That helps a lot.

Hope your first day of fasting went well! Good luck with 5:2.

Hi Tina,

I think losing weight slowly is the best, in the long run you’re more likely to keep it off. Plus, I think it’s healthier to go slow, it gives your body more time to adjust to the shrinking you!

I’ve been WFPB for over 4 years, and the first year I often had cravings for meat (barbecue ribs!!!) and CHEESE! So I hear you big time when you mention your meat attacks. I’ll share I’ve found in the past 2 years I no longer desire meats and dairy products, which is amazing, I think. Oh, except for ice cream – but who doesn’t love ice cream! Confession: I am very grateful for the plant based ice creams, especially the ones made from cashew cream, so yummy. I promise I have the plant based ice cream about 3 times per year, a very rare treat.

Thanks for sharing how how you are seeing food now as sustenance. That’s amazing. I am working on that – seeing food as just sustenance, because I love good tasting foods and it’s been a huge source of entertainment for me. I watch the Food Network regularly. I claim it’s “research” to learn new flavours etc., but I think it’s more for me to get all excited about seeing delicious food and watching people eat it. It’s a vicarious pleasure and sometimes it can feel like punishment when I know I have to avoid rich foods. I really should not watch those shows anymore, but I do love to see food being made and being eaten.

My first day of fasting went reasonably well. I did go over the allotted calories. I was just over 600, due to underestimating the calories of plain rice cakes. I thought they were 3 cakes for 20 calories, so I had 9 of them. Turns out they’re 20 calories for EACH cake. Oh well, live and learn. Other than that, I did okay. I had a lot of vegetable broth. At 12 calories per cup I had about 6 cups during the day. It helped me when the hunger pangs hit. I want to get to the point where I can feel the hunger pains, and trust that they will pass. I’ll get there, I’m sure.

Wishing you a beautiful day!
    Cheers,
    Judy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.