Returning Faster

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Dollyp 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hello all

I started the fast diet in July 2013 after years of being overweight. I had tried other diets in the past for a day or two but could never really stick to anything until I started this diet.

Within 4 months I had lost 12kg and was over the moon. I was fitter than ever, looked great and had tonnes of energy and could still eat what I wanted on non fast days, although I found I was generally craving healthier food. I stuck to the diet until about April 2014 when I started a new job and things slowly went downhill. I went back on it again in January 2015.

I managed to maintain my weight loss for 5 months until I got married but unfortunately I have steadily put on more weight since 2015 and have regained all my weight and some!! I blame the husband.

I’m heading back to my routine at the gym and am thinking of starting the 5:2 again. The reason I like this diet is because of the health benefits. My father has type 2 diabetes and I’m terrified I’m going to get it too.

I just can’t seem to get back into the 5:2 mindset. It’s like every time I set out to do a 500 cal day I think “there’s cake at work today, I will do it tomorrow”. Any tips on getting over this??

Also, every time I have tried to do it recently, I have ended up with terrible acid reflux. Any tips on stopping this?

Thanks in advance!

If you could do it once, you can do it again, Dollyp. How about enlisting your husband’s advice and assistance? If you tell him that you’d like to return to the benefits of the 5:2 lifestyle, would he support you? Would he go on it with you? Dieting with your partner is SO much easier, as I can attest. You’ll just have to say no to the cake sometimes. Be strong! If you became diabetic, you’d have to give up the cake altogether, wouldn’t you?

Can’t help with the acid reflux. Chat with the doctor, perhaps?

Dollyp
    My acid reflux has stopped totally on the 5.2….stopped my daily tablets which I had taken for a least 4 years from the doctor..they had very bad reviews on taking them.

My doctor told me weight is a big issue with reflux…loose the weight and you will be a lot better!

Keep going and it will go…I felt much better after 4 to 6 weeks when I stopped my tablets.

If I am not in control of my cooking and eating..e.g. Holidays, visiting people, it returns…cut down on sugar and processed stuff, too much alcohol kicks it off also…

Good luck..only you can get the weight off and it’s worth it..

X

Thank you for your tips!! I’ve been back on it for three weeks now and not had much luck but am going to stick with it to see how I go! At least I’m exercising too which is not a bad thing. I think I have way too much surgery in my diet so need to reduce my intake.

Alas, husband refuses to do it! Will keep on at on my own!

Thanks for your help x

@dollyp – I wish I had good advice for you. My wife hasn’t been on-board with my fasting but at least she has quit complaining about it. At first she was pretty sure I wouldn’t last and then she thought it was going to kill me. How she can see some of the healthy results. However it is a struggle and sometimes it does require some flexibility on my part.

You might try saving your 500 calories and then eating dinner with your husband or something like that, just so it isn’t so much in his face. I don’t eat on fast days but sometime I try not to interfere with family life either … it can be the hardest part of fasting.

Results though carry a lot of weight. 🙂

Once you get the weight off, you should try to maintain it. It is a lot easier keeping the fat off and taking it off.

I am returning to 5:2 also. My hubby is having great success, so that has encouraged me to start again. I wish I had some advice for you. But the only thing that is really spurring me on is that I’m really worried about my health and just want to have a healthy BMI again.

thank you for the replies! the first two weeks were the hardest but I am starting to get back into it. I find it easier to fast when I am really busy as I then forget about eating. Doesn’t happen every day though! I am also finding that I am over compensating with the eating on the non fast days and I think this is slowing down the weight loss (am still approx 26 on BMI). Yesterday I had 6 slices of toast with butter and marmite (the was breakfast and lunch) then I had about three bags of crisps in the evening – so unhealthy!!
    I have now set myself a goal of losing at least 3kgs before mid October. Should be doable with a bit of effort and will power!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.