Question calories

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Amazon 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• I am starting this program tomorrow… just one question…
    the BMI calculator on here says that I should have 2250 calories on my non-fasting days…. this has totally blown my mind as I have always been told that I should have 1200 calories to lose weight (for women)…. I don’t know what to do or who to “believe”…. can someone clarify this for me.

Hello splashabs and welcome to your new WOL with fasting.

Lots of the questions that newcomers have are answered here: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

500kcals is recommended as the kcal intake for women on a fast day. On a non-fast day, you eat to your TDEE (as explained in the above thread). When you mention the BMI calculator, did you mean BMR/TDEE? If so, and you’re concerned that there might be a miscalculation, if you don’t mind sharing some of the relevant details that the calculator needs, maybe someone can double check it for you just for reassurance?

I hope that you find out quickly whether IF/5:2 or whatever pattern of fasting you adopt is a good match to your life and that it helps you to meet your health and other goals.

Good Luck.

Thank you for that…I did read through the information but couldn’t see an answer to what I was after… unless I missed it! LOL

I am worried about having over 2000 calories per day on non-fasting days and then 500 calories on fasting days (okay and understand the fasting days)…

I am female
    164cm
    100kg
    going to do treadmill for 30min 3 times per week

I think the years of “dieting” and being told that I should only have 1200 when dieting each day is doing my head in thinking that I can eat over 2000 per day… eeks…

There’s no compulsion to eat your full TDEE allowance if you don’t have the appetite for it. It’s more of a, “Don’t exceed on a regular basis” guideline.

I ran your numbers (I used age 40 as a bench mark) and they’re in your ballpark (it depends on whether you term 90mins per week of treadmill as sedentary or lightly active – I chose the latter assuming that it’s more than you do now and that it’s non-trivial when you weigh 100kg).

So, you might try out the 500/2000 split for 4 weeks and see how you progress with that? (Notionally, it will give you at least a 3000-3500kcal deficit over the average week.)

HTH 🙂

All diets are based on eating less calories than you need.
    1200 calories per day will bring about a faster weight loss than 500 calories twice a week but is as we all know much more difficult to maintain.
    You don’t have to eat 2000 calories on non fast days, and if you eat less then your weight loss will be more than the estimated 1lb per week. I am trying to stick to 1500 in order to accelerate weight loss, but not beat myself up if I go over it from time to time. It is great to be able to have a slice of cake or a chocolate bar from time to time, but I’ve discovered that I no longer crave them as often as I did before, and I am naturally making healthier choices the majority of the time.
    As your weight reduces so will your TDEE so you’ll need to keep an eye on that.
    Good luck.

Thanks everyone! I will stick to approx 1500 to 2200 calories, so for me that will be eating more than I am use to but it will allow me not to stress over calories too much! Thanks again everyone!

“500kcals is recommended as the kcal intake for women on a fast day”

I think it is 500 calories isn’t it…aren’t kcals different?

It is indeed 500 calories. 1kcal is 1,000 calories, and I don’t think that any of us even on a really bad day could consume 50,0000 calories. Eek!

kcals are what are shown on UK food labels and are aka calories- if anyone was genuinely confused by my use of that term, that’s a shame.

Even the esteemed USDA nutrient database lists values in kcals.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2920

There are wikipedia explanations etc. but I doubt they’d really clarify the matter for anyone who found my usage to be inaccurate or interpreted my above post as advising such an implausible level of food intake.

Can someone please tell me whether you should calculate the calories in a piece of salmon or chicken BEFORE it is cooked or after. I have noticed that once cooked the weight is lower than when raw. This would make a difference in my daily calorie intake calculation.
    Thanks for ant advice

Usually you weigh food before it is cooked…

Hi 😀 another newbie to the forum and I was also blown away by being told to eat 2200 calories. I’ve been using my fitness pal for a couple of months and it says 1200 and generally that’s what I stick to unless I have some leeway with exercise.

I dont find 1200 calories too bad at all so the idea of having to eat an extra 1000 calories was a bit concerning! So thanks to all who have hopped in and explained that we dont have to make that target!! I’m very much relieved.

😀

I know what you mean… total head spin hey! I am aiming for between 1500 – 2200 at the most…. then 500 cals for the fasting days… if I see no weightloss after a few weeks then will play around with the calories on my non-fasting day!….

Hello there my very first post,
    I am four weeks into the IF started on 82 kegs and now down to 78.5 kg so I am very pleased.
    However I am confused by the information on food labels regarding calories.
    I notice you said 1 kcal equals 1000 calories.yet I have a 415 g tin of Heinz baked beans and it shows
    162kcal this would mean 16,200 calories.
    Can someone advise how to read calorie counts on food labels please!

JoJo, 1200 kcal is not enough for most people. When you calculate your non fast calories you need to set MFP to maintenance or it will give you the calories for the usual diet of daily calorie restriction aka “eat less, move more” diet.

With IF you restrict calories only two days a week, the others you eat at maintenance.

Regarding calories vs. kcal: the official unit is kcal – kilokalories, however, in everyday language people will talk about calories when they refer to this unit. Therefore you tell your friends that you are eating a maximum of 500 calories on a fast day when you are actually eating 500 kcal.

SSure. Hi, I wasn’t aware that is how calories are referred to across the pond, I assumed it was a typing error, and my response was meant to be light hearted so I hope you didn’t take offence.

I had a look a Wiki and various other places and it would seem that kcal and cal are indeed the same. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply.