Planning the Fast Day

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sams 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi All

I’ve only completed one fast day – yesterday – and I ate through the day. I am interested to hear how others plan their day.

Here is my day from yesterday:

Breakfast – 1 Weetbix with a little trim milk
    Morning tea – 1 carrot
    Lunch – some chopped cucumber with chopped tomato and a small tin of lite flavoured tuna
    Lunch – 1 apple
    Afternoon tea – 1 pear
    Dinner – 1 poached egg on half a slice of multi grain toast
    Dinner – 1 carrot

I think I ended my eating day at 6pm on 515 calories.
    I was a bit naughty and had a can of Coke Zero in the afternoon and a glass of diet soft drink with dinner but also drank a load of water.

I see other people don’t eat all day but I don’t think I could do that. I definitely need to plan my day to include more veggies though to increase the bulk and help me feel fuller longer.

Would love to hear how others do it.

Cheers
    Susan

Hi Susan, I don’t think it matters how you eat on the fasr day as long as you stick to 500 calories
    I don’t normally eat on my fast days till 12 pm and have carrots and hummus and miso soup for dinner
    For dinner I then have some sort of a soup
    I do 2 days in a row so will not eat again till 12 pm next day and repeat eating something different
    This works for me
    Best of luck

Hi SusanCC and Welcome

I don’t like to correct how anyone is approaching their fast days but I do think you are missing the point of the ‘fast’ element, a bit anyway.

You might be really lucky (and it’s only day one after all!) and still lose weight this way because of the seriouly low calories you are taking in but to me, the whole point of the fast is to rest your digestive system from …..well digesting.

Then you should get the health benefits aswell as the weight loss. I’ve just read another post where someone said ‘Your diet-your way’ or something like that.
    So really you should play around with it and see what works for you but if you want the wonderful, potential health benefits aswell?

Whatever you do-good fasting

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify…

I had my dinner on Sunday night at about 7pm, then no more food until breakfast (a tiny breakfast) at 7.30am on Monday.

I ate 500 calories during the day, stopping at 7pm Monday night, then no more food until 7.30am on Tuesday morning when I had my normal breakfast.

So, in effect, I had 2 x 12 hour fasts with minimal food in between.

Is that correct?

Cheers
    Susan

Is it necessary to eat anything at all on our fast days?

SusanCC,

My understanding is that it is important to have 16 hours between eating anything. With the low caloric intake you might still lose weight but you will not get the long term health benefits. That is my understanding.

SusanCC,

I recommend reading the book so that you know exactly how and why this diet works. That will help you plan your fast days with more confidence.

Hi Norma, a few people on here eat nothing on their fast days, just down lots of water. For most people they eat their 500/600 cals in order to keep this way of eating manageable longterm. That’s why the 5:2 was invented – to be doable, not impossible. Do what suits you anad good luck.

Thanks Humphrey.

Hi SusanCC
    I just eat breakfast, and nothing for the rest of the day (and night of course) until breakfast the next morning. You think you couldn’t do that but in fact I find that much easier than eating little bits through the day. After breakfast I don’t have to think about food for the rest of the day, just drink water or tea or a cup of broth. The feeling of hunger fades away. I like the fact I don’t feel full, but empty instead, more light, if you like. I’m not saying I find it easy, because normally I tend to eat in all possible circumstances, but I find eating little bites even harder. And physically I feel great during my fast day. Plenty of water to avoid headaches and focus on other things than food. Maybe give it a try? It’s just for one day at a time after all!
    Good luck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.