Obesity researcher taking the challenge

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Carla 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• From both a professional and personal perspective, there isn’t much I don’t know about weight loss, or should I write “dietary failure”. I am a Professor working in the Neuroscience of appetite. What are my usual words of wisdom? “All diets work if you keep to them”. “Most diets fail because we crave food”. In my research, we have even been led to ask whether food is addictive but can only conclude that people show addictive behaviour towards food.
    The 5:2 diet tickles my imagination and curiosity. People generally can be good for a day at a time. Can we even manage it 2 days a week? It doesn’t seem too horrific and Moseley’s documentary and personal account are rather inspiring.
    I’m going to give it a go.
    Hate that “day 1 of a diet” moment. “Oh no, I’m here again”. Today is indeed the day. I am 168 cm (5ft 6.5 inches) and weigh around 69 kilos. BMI =24.5. I am sporty and fit at age 47 but there is that ugly uncomfortable tyre around my middle that just has to go. That tyre impacts directly on my mood. When it is gone, I am a new person. Skip vanity – I just want to feel comfortable in my own body.
    It is 9.50 am. I biked 7.5 km to work (as usual) and I have drunk 2 cups of black tea. I am starving … !

Hi Suzanne, I’m new too & similar height, weight, bmi to you. I started last week, 1st weigh in tomorrow, don’t think I’ve lost anything, which will be very disappointing! I really don’t fancy going to 4:3 to kickstart? :0/

Remember to do your sums. 1 kg fat is 9000 kcal. If we are saving around 3000 kcal per week, it could take 3 weeks to shift a kilo of fat. We shouldn’t be disappointed if we don’t see very dramatic effects initially. In practice, most people also lose water when they start a diet, which often gives a feel good factor and is rewarding.
    Compliance is important. Better to try 5:2 and stick to it than 4:3 and fail. I think that is the secret of the plan.
    Keep posting and good luck!

Good Morning Suzanne,

Just started myself last Friday 🙂 Talked to my middle son who is very globally conscious (remember college days) over the phone yesterday and explained my new adventure to him. I could hear the eye-roll over the phone as he laughed

“Mom….that is such a first world problem!”

(…the need to deprive ourselves of food because we have an over-abundance of it…)

Cheeky kid.

Good luck to both of us. And remember we aren’t starving. Ethiopeans are starving…apparently we’re just hungry 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.