November Small Group Accountability Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
November Small Group Accountability Challenge

This topic contains 245 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Karlanz 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 246 total)

• If there is any interest in a small group November daily accountability challenge I would be happy to keep the spreadsheet. Minimum of 4 participants. Maximum of 12.

It would require a daily check in with the first line indicating day of the month, and if it was a Non Fast Day (NFD) or Fast Day (FD). In the next line you can post how things are going.

First post will include weight in kilograms, your eating plans (5:2, 4:3, etc.) and your goal for the month. The last post will include weight in kilograms and how you did on your goal.

The spreadsheet will be viewable to all through Google.

The intention of keeping it to a small group is to increase visibility of each participant and therefor incentive to stay accountable!

Hi, yes I would like to join this group. I have requested to join another challenge but it’s quite big so feel I could get a bit lost trying to keep up.
    I’ve started today and am on my 1st fast day xx

I’d like to join! Today is my first day doing 5:2.

Hi
    i have started today – am ok so far i had a meal replacement soup as i just decided last night to bite the bullet and start straight away. i need to get my head around foods/menus and put in my measurements

good to feel support of a group – good luck everyone!!

Welcome Ruby, J-ray and ocarol! Glad we can keep each other company in our November fasting journey! If you could please provide your starting weight and your goal for the month I’ll update it in the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jqgcm2OO8W44Q9z-afDm7bPJTxnbn86FcXvUgKmg8Xw/edit?usp=sharing

SW = 83 kilograms
    Goal = loose 8 pounds

I plan to fast Mondays and Thursdays (under 500 calories).

Good luck on your first day everyone! I look forward to hearing how it goes.

My starting weight is 59.8kg
    Goal loose 5lbs in November
    Completed my first fast day. Had 540 cals. Slightly over but I have walked he dog for half hour so hopefully that’ll help. Don’t feel hungry. Preparing the kids dinner was hard though 🙈
    Going to fast again tomorrow this week as away Thurs and Fri xx

Hello, please count me in! 76.5 kg and the goal is 7 pounds. I am doing 5:2. This week fasting days are going to be tomorrow and Friday. Thank you for organising it!

Hi!
    I am 120 lbs.
    My goal is to consistently fast 2 days/week, get comfortable with fasting and be able to exercise on fast days. I will be fasting Monday and Wednesday, though this week is skewed since I just decided that I was doing this last night, so today is my first day/attempt fasting. I exercise vigorously regularly so am used to using food as a reward and am wanting to break that habit. I held off until lunch, ate half a burger, celery, and am working on half an artichoke. This morning wasn’t bad after running a hard 5 miles yesterday, I didn’t get hungry until noon. My book is still on the way so I’m schwagging it a bit.

Thanks!

Hi jray,

You don’t appear to be overweight unless youre very small? Are you wanting to do 5:2 for the other health benefits? You can fast and do exercise but you have to slowly get into it. Do not expect to be able to do it overnight. It takes the body about a month to get used to it. Don’t expect to set PBs while fasting. With training you can get to about 85-90% of your PB.

No, I’m not overweight. I’m interested in the physiological and neurological benefits of fasting, as well as exploring it from a religious perspective. Also like I said I tend to reward my exercise with food which is a bit disordered, though I look healthy I think this is an unhealthy habit. I watched a Ted talk about the 5:2 the other night and am intrigued. I figure if I start bordering on underweight I can switch over to a 6:1, or make sure that I don’t undereat on my normal days. I probably have about 12-15 pounds of (literal and figurative) cushion, as I’m petite and small framed.

Hello, could I please join your group?
    I am currently 221lbs. My goal is 8-10lbs for November. I will be doing the 5:2. Today was my first fast day. It went ok I have to say. Exercise wise I will either be doing a 45 minute walk (weather dependent) or 45 mins on my exercise bike 4- 5 times a week.

I’m sick of starting and losing momentum/motivation after a period of time. I have started literally every ‘plan’ out there over the last 28 years to no avail. One thing I do know is that my body has responded well to a low carb approach in the past. Also, my husband achieved great results on the 5:2 last year. Instead of buying yet another book I started leafing through his copy of the 5:2, liked what I was reading and so decided to give it a go.

Hey Everyone,
    After a successful FD yesterday I am doing another today. I work Mon, Tues, Wed and find it much easier fasting at work so will continue to do B2B if I can.
    Didn’t feel hungry at all yesterday and had 540 cals, although this morning I am soooo hungry. I’m yet to have a coffee so will hold out another hour for that and see if it blunts my appetite. Going to have weetabix at around 2.30 to break my fast and a light tea around 7pm. Good luck to you all 👍🏼 x

Well done Ruby1986! Good luck for the rest of the day!

Today is my first day, I worked out I can have some porridge in the morning, two small yoghurts for lunch and an apple for tea. That should make it exactly 500 calories. Good luck everyone.

so that I can more easily update the spreadsheet could everyone report progress as Day of the month = FD or NFD. For example:

Day 1 = NFD

@ruby Way to go! Preparing food for others is my biggest temptation to stray.

@Jay-ray loved reading about your goals and I need to look for that TED talk. Sounds interesting!

Welcome JBells and Tanchora!

Updated spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jqgcm2OO8W44Q9z-afDm7bPJTxnbn86FcXvUgKmg8Xw/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you WillWorkForHealth!

For me:

1 Nov: NFD
    2 Nov: FD
    3 Nov: NFD
    4 Nov: FD
    5 Nov: NFD
    6 Nov: NFD

@tanchora – sorry I should have been clearer. Please update with your result after the day is complete. That way we can look back and see how many successful fast days we all had! I marked you as NFD for Nov 1.

Is it too late to join?
    I am from Texas and weight 152 lb. I was on 5:2 from January. I lost 23 lb during almost 7.5 month, but started slacking little by little. Eventually went back to my old habits and could not completed fasts for 2.5 month gaining 11 lb back. Desperately trying to get back to schedule. I like idea of the small group, so I actually can read all posts. I am trying to fast Monday and Thursday (36 hour no-calories fasts).
    Day 2 NFD. watching my calories intake, writing everything down.

@coldpizza (love the name) Welcome! “Fall down seven times, stand up eight.”, is one of my favorite quotes.

I haven’t marked Day 2 as it is not complete yet. I have you down for Day 1 = NFD. Let me know if that is not right.

Ok, I see. Brilliant, thank you for updating the spreadsheet.

Is it too late to join this group please? I started (again) on Monday (31.10.16) with a FD and again FD yesterday (tuesday 01.11.2016). I have to eat today as I am giving blood later.. they get quite stressy about eating!! I weighed 90.6kg on Monday … 🙁 REALLY need to lose a LOT, it’s eight weeks to Christmas and my hope is to be really strict and get BIG results….

Day 2: NFD

Last night was a huge challenge! Day after Halloween means kids candy bags are sitting here bulging, and my husband being out of town means I typically over-snack at night after kids are in bed. I was starting to feel some real hunger, so I ate another half artichoke and worked on hydration – cup of sparkling water, cup of tea, another cup of sparkling water. It worked! Proud that I got through the evening without touching the candy stash! Feeling encourahed that the cycle can be broken

Getting ready to go for a light jog or bike ride after a brief weight lifting session😊

For those who have done this before but stopped and gained weight back, is this something that you think you can commit to long term? That is, could this be part of a lifelong habit? If not, is there a variation that you think is easier to stick to? Maybe formal 5:2 for 6 months then transition to 6:1, or less caloric restriction on FD? I find it easier to frame habits, goals, activities in terms of “can I see myself doing this when I’m 80?”. For me, I see things like: yoga -yes, running – hopefully, beach body videos – nope. Eating low calorie ice cream – no, fasting once or twice a week – yes. Does it feel different to call this a new habit instead of a diet?

@meon-dweller Welcome! I’ve added you in. For the sheet – what is your goal for November? Sounds like you are off to a great start!

@j-ray thanks for the link!

Soooo, my FD turned sour about an hour ago. I left work at 7 and felt so hungry and dizzy, I’ve just ate the contents of my fridge! 🙈
    I don’t think I can do two consecutive days as I’ve felt hungry all day and really struggled!
    Oh well lesson learnt. I will aim for Friday or Saturday for my next fast day.
    Hope you’ve all had a good day xx

Thank you for including me 😄

What started as a FD ended up as a NFD as I was tired and mistakenly served myself mashed potato, which I then ate without question. I wouldn’t mind but I had my meal planned in my head earlier. I literally forgot. No point beating myself up about it. Whereas in the past a blip or mistake would have resulted in me eating all around me, this time I’m owning my mistake and just moving on. I’ll do my FD tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing ok 👌

Morning everybody.

Day2: FD.

The first fasting day of the month was not that bad. Maybe this is to do with the fact that I was so determined and motivated. The most difficult part was the evening. I normally snack when watching TV.

Anyway, all good. My face looks thinner, I think :-). Tomorrow is another FD. Just had an email from the boss saying that there will be tonnes of pizza in the office tomorrow. I already decided that this should not matter. I have to do the FD tomorrow and I am not prepared to move it to the weekend. I can cook pizza myself any NFD anyway.

That’s a determination for the week.

Ruby and JBells, that’s lucky we have three more days in the week :-). You will do it.

The Ted Talk was interesting, by the way. Thank you for the link!

Good luck to everybody.

Morning guys.
    Planning on a NFD today as we are off to London for an awards ceremony. There will be a three course meal and champagne so no ones got time for Fasting today!!
    Hope you all have a successful day! x

Morning Guys,

Sounds like everyone has things in control, though awards ceremonies with champagne and pizza’s don’t help! I am lucky enough not to live where we get trick or treaters and my kids are grown up so there aren’t any tempting treats in the house. I live in a multi-generation house with my parents and two grown sons (at Uni), one son is living at home on a placement year and he and my parents are joining in too – less temptation about. Lets hope we can continue to be strong. I feel very motivated . . though I learnt a lesson last night giving blood.. not enough to eat through the day resulted in feeling very light-headed after donating and I had to sit for quite bit longer before I could get up.. serves me right for thinking I could beat the system!

My goal for November is 11lb or 5kg
    SW 1.11.16 – 90.6kg (14st 4lb)
    1st Nov FD
    2nd Nov NFD

Aiming high . . .
    Wishing everyone a great day . .
    Sian

Day 2 NFD. Hmm, I like idea to record yesterday’s day – so many intended FDs turned out to be NFD.

Today I am trying to complete my FD. Trying imagine three 10 lb bags of potato cling to me that I desperately need to lose. I hope that motivates me. 🙂

For me it is also the evening, that I usually gave up. So will see how it will be today.

If it’s not to late for me to join you, here’s my first post:

Day 3 (11/3/2016) FD.

Starting weight (as of 11/1/2016): 92.5 kg
    Goal weight (as of 11/30): 90.5 kg

My FDs are usually Mondays and Fridays, with 475 cals or less on those days. On the other days I try to stay within my goal weight TDEE.

I’ve been doing 5:2 very consistently since mid-March 2016 (hi, coldpizza!), and have lost 34 lbs altogether, though I tend to yo-yo a bit and have had to lose some of those lbs twice. I would like to lose another 20-25 lbs, and will then go on maintenance to keep weight stable and to continue the good results I’ve seen in my blood panel results. I’m 59 years old so my metabolism isn’t really cooperative in the weight-loss department, but I persevere!

Would I be able to join please? My goal for this month is to stick to 5:2 despite a multi-day wedding, a hens weekend, and work (unavoidable) social evenings etc. Also to stick to running 3x a week.

Start weight is 68.5kg.

Day 1,2,3 = NFD

Second FD ✅
    Today was tough 😩 but it was ok 😄I also started my exercise by going for a 45 minute walk. It was hard to maintain the pace but I felt invigorated after I finished. All told I’m happy the day is nearly over. Hope everyone else is doing well.

@micky42 and @karlanz welcome!

My husband had surgery today so I’ve had my hands full with him and the baby. I’ll add everyone’s updates tomorrow.

Day 3 = NFD
    Started well but gave into stress and reward eating at the end of the day. Sometimes the chocolate cake is necessary though. And I stopped at one reasonable slice.

Hello will work for Health,

Is it too late to join? I have my starting weight for November 1.

Hello!
    Day 3 = FD.
    Was tougher than my first, some, in that I started the day hungry. I was amazed yesterday, after my first FD on Tuesday, that I managed a 20 min lift and almost 4 mile run! It’s amazing to see how the body changes mode of energy burn! But I think because of that that I had lower stores today. This afternoon I cooked for my husband’s upcoming hunting trip, a friend who just had a baby, and family dinner… it was a bit tough spending so much time in the kitchen, but kept focused and busy and didn’t snack (on anything but celery). Am having my FD evening routine of sparkling water and tea. No more FD until Monday!

@jbells I haven’t been brave yet to try out exercise on FD, thinking that I will try to next week.

@willwork, I’m glad you enjoyed your chocolate cake! It doesn’t have to be a reward, or have good/bad value, it’s just food that in moderation is fine to enjoy.

Morning everyone!

It was nice reading everyone’s comments about their week.

Day 3: NFD. I felt that my appetite was lower than ususal (I guess after the FD). I did a dance class (similar to zumba) and felt that this balanced some pasta I had for lunch. I am planning on doing FDs on my zumba nights going forward.

Today is my FD. I am bracing myself for the smell of pizzas in the office and watching everybody eating. I have my yoghurts for lunch and will be strong!

Hi Guys,
    Gosh some of you have some real struggles to contend with – cooking for children, works food, looking after babies and worrying over family members having surgery etc. I am suddenly aware I should find it easy compared to the challenges others face. I am finding fasting quite easy at the moment, I hope it lasts. In fact I think it is easier not to eat than to think about what to eat! Does anyone else find this? Can we fast for too many days? I am trying out some new recipes, so far this week we have had recipes out of the 5:2 book and the Eight Week Blood Sugar Diet Book – Monday was Lime and Coriander Salmon with Spinach, Tuesday was French Tarragon & Lemon Chicken, Wednesday was Trout on Lime & coriander crushed peas, Thursday was Luxury fish pie with celeriac topping – there seems to be a fishy theme. Tonight we are going to have a Spicy Chicken recipe – but I can’t remember the name. Weekends will be much more difficult for me.

Update: 3rd Nov FD

Tanchora – I also think my face looks thinner – do you think we are imagining it? I hope not, I feel better (maybe thinner) around my tummy too..it is not noticeable yet but it is very motivational, I just hope that I can hold onto that feeling!! I really want to find my inner (thinner) self – which has to be somewhere inside me!

Sending positive vibes to you all.. I’m finding reading about other peoples experiences really helpful. Although.. I am not good at exercising and I feel very guilty when I read about all your physical exertions..

Have a good friday…

@Meon I don’t think we are imagining it, hopefully we are really losing weight!

Impressed about your cooked meals, they sound delicious. Might look for those books too, to find an inspiration.

So far the FD is going ok. People in the office are getting excited about their food coming. I just had a cup of miso soup. 19 calories per 100g, and the packet I used was only 7.5 g. Is it possible?

Tanchora – I tried miso soup before, got really excited about it being so low calorie and apparently good . . . but nah.. I’ll skip thanks, I really did not like it.

I have to confess to having coffee and 2 chewing gums through my fast days.. but I take the view that it is a small sin… I fast from one evening meal to another the following day, so probably 23hrs and so far I am really not hungry.

Bit of a daft question to ask… but why the @ symbol before names? I know it is a Twitter thing, but I don’t do twitter…??

Meon-dweller, all social media channels use @, I think. Not just Twitter.

Meon, shame you don’t like miso. I love it and it just filled me up. Trying to ignore the smell of pizzas going around and the fact that I am full is helping me a lot.

ANother challenge for today is a food shopping (we do it on Friday nights). They said it’s not a good idea to shop when you are hungry. But I am still determined not to buy lots of rubbish. Pet’s see how it goes tonight.

Day 4 – NFD
    Yesterday was a NFD, I ate sensibly but I did drink a few too many glasses of wine.
    Feeling delicate today and not fancying much to eat which can’t be a bad thing!
    Hoping to fast tomorrow and that will be my 2nd Fast of the week. I haven’t weighed at all but definitely feel less bloated than usual.
    Hope you all have a good day x

Day 3. FD kind of – usually I do 36-hours-no-calories fast, but yesterday end up eating about 500 cal. I guess I still can count it as FD, right?

Today is NFD, I am having a headache from morning.I probably did not drink enough water yesterday. Sipping water now. 🙂

I also love miso/seaweed/sushi. I very often bring nori for a snack at my office. Recently, my boss was curious and tried it. You should see his face, poor guy has to spit a small piece of nori out… Funny how our tastes are so different. 🙂

Tanchora,
    Hats off for your strength. My office often has food. Even though I never buy pizza or chips for home, I always succumb to office pizza/chip parties.
    If I go shopping hungry, I made my shopping list ahead of time. And then stick to it. It gives me more strength to resist to buy everything I see. 🙂

Coldpizza,

Good idea re shopping list! In terms of the office food – find it very easy today. All the food is now gone, smell didn’t bother me at all. Had my yoghurts now and I feel full. Googled a number of calories on one slice of Pizza Hut pizza and it’s 275! People had four slices on average, that shocked me. Even though I would happily join them in the past. Now I feel in control and happy that I didn’t.

Tanchora,
    Great info for Pizza calories. I will keep it in mind for our next office binge. 🙂
    Thumbs up for being in control!

Day 4 = NFD
    Yesterday went well enough. It was my FD and I had to attend a party at my husband’s work; lots of delicious catered food and a full bar. I had less than half of a Diet Coke and 3 very very small skewers of grilled satay chicken (and resisted the accompanying peanut sauce). Today I will stay on track.
    Good to see everyone here is working hard and doing well.

Day 4 = FD

I realised that I forgot to tell you all a bit about myself… I’ve been doing 5:2 on and off for a few months. Mostly off to tell the truth. So I’m hoping this group will help me stay strong! I tend to travel a lot for work and pleasure, and that’s part of my problem I think. I get out of my exercise / eating routine while away, and then take time to get back into it when I get back to NZ.

Anyway, my first fast day of the week was Monday, so I’ve now done my two days 🙂 I found this week that I ate less than my allowed 500 calories on my FDs, without too much trouble, so I guess my body has been getting used to fasting even if I’ve not been very consistent.

Did a run Monday and Thursday, about to go for another one now, which bring me up to my goal of 3x a week 🙂

Welcome on board Karlanz!

Going to bed now, that’s my FD completed. Stayed at work until 7-30 – exactly 12 hours!!! Month end, at least I don’t do this often.

Very proud of myself for being in control, I think this forum helps!!! I keep thinking what would be the point of breaking the diet for a stupid piece of this and that.

Saying that, I think I bought a few extras in a supermarket. But that’s for the weekend. I will see how it affects next week’s results. Looking forward to weighing in tomorrow.

Good night everyone and have a great weekend!

Welcome newcomers! Happy to have you. Spreadsheet has been updated. I think I’ve got everything but let me know if that is not the case.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jqgcm2OO8W44Q9z-afDm7bPJTxnbn86FcXvUgKmg8Xw/edit#gid=0

@ruby1986 I didn’t see day 3 update for you. Sorry if you posted and I missed it.

@ocarol please let me know if you are still interested in joining us.

@Right on this girl If you will provide the starting stats and goals as well as Days 1,2,3,4 FD or NFD I will update you.

Someone asked about the @ symbol – I’ve always thought that it sends an email notification to the user so they know they have a message for them.

The days are getting away from me but things have settled and I am glad to have this group to remind me to keep my head in the game. You all are quiet motivating. 🙂

Day 4=NFD.
    Did pretty well, though I would like to note for the Americans that a single slice of Costco pizza is over 700 calories, not 250.😨 it caught my attention enough to stop eating when I was satisfied, as opposed to full, and throw about 1/3 away. If was also enough to make me think about fasting tomorrow too! I think I will eat a very light breakfast, run, and skip lunch in favor of thanksgiving meal #1 in the afternoon.
    Yoga this am, was hoping for a run but it wasn’t meant to be. @karlanz yay another runner!

I have definitely seen a much flatter stomach the day after fasting, but only time will tell if that becomes more permanent.
    @willworkforhealth you are motivating too! Thanks for doing this!

Morning everyone. Lost 2.75 pounds in my first week . My guess would be that my next weigh in might not be as successful. The first week always seems to be the highest in terms of the weight loss. Still excited, didn’t expect to lose that much!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 246 total)

You must be logged in to reply.