Not sure how to start

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I’ve been thinking about trying the 5:2 for a while now, however I cannot see how I can achieve this as I have a few hurdles to get over.

I have a medical condition which makes it highly difficult to eat fibre, fruit and veg, therefore my diet consists mostly of protein and refined carbs. I was also advised that I need to consume about 50% more calories than a normal man of my age in order to maintain my weight. Recent years and waist bands suggest I may have gone a little overboard here though.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Hi Eclipse,
    It might be difficult to stay within 600 cals if you have to have carbs. If you could manage to eat only once a day on your fasting days then you could just have dinner of meat and maybe a baked potato or a little rice, up to 600 cals.
    This diet is not for everyone so maybe just a bit of portion control to reduce your calories a little every day might be a better approach for you. If at all possible adding a little light exercise would help burn off some of those excess cals too.
    Best wishes for whatever you decide to do and keep us informed of your progess.
    Claire

If you want to try it and your doc hasn’t said you shouldn’t (with your condition) then your normal diet is no barrier. Lots of people on here are trying to change their whole diets to a more protein &fiber heavy content for their health but 5:2 works whatever you choose to spend your fastday quota of calories on.

Carbs may be less efficient & make you feel more ‘hungry’ than you would be with protein & fiber but once you get used to dealing with the ‘hunger’, which is really just thirst, you’ll sail through half the day before you even notice that you haven’t eaten. As above, I’d recommend lasting as long as you can on water only and having all of your calories in one sitting.

Also, don’t feel that you have to start out on 600 calories. It’s just a guide, it’s not written in stone anywhere. if you feel it would help to get you started then add a hundred (or two) until you start to get better at coping with the new lifestyle. Once you start you’ll be doing this forever, so you want to make it comfortable and sustainable for yourself longterm.

Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.