Not on the sidelines anymore

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  tomtommum 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi I’m redflame625 I have been following this form for several months by simply reading the science info and many other posts. I’ve been fasting for the past three weeks (5:2) with very little noticeable loss. I realize it takes time, and I’m very aware of my mistakes. I am going to blog more often because apparently I am doing control vs out of control plan. On control days, I am very much in control. Able to last from prior day evening meal until the next day’s evening meal. I don’t get hungry on control days, and when I do eat its typically Greek low fat protein yogurt then a well controlled diner. My problem is on non control days. for the past 2 years I’ve done a high protein low carb way of eating. however on my non control days the carb monster creeps in and cracker after cracker I’m sure it’s all adding to the calories. So here I am making this real. Instead of being a daily reader only I plan to participate. Your all so supportive with much valuable info I’m sure this forum will help me stay focused.

Hi redflame625, welcome! Did you take measurements before starting? from what I see here, lots of times measurements change even when the scales don’t. I’m just getting started myself. glad you decided to post. I hate that carb monster don’ you? LOL. I’m finding my carb cravings are SLOWLY decreasing(most of the time) hang in there and keep us posted.

It’s nice to eat a healthy balanced diet etc. etc. but the thing I like about the fasting lifestyle is that there are no longer any actual food ‘monsters’. After a while you’ll get to the point where your body can crave what it wants and you get to just decide if you want to give it that or not.

I hated atkins when my mum did it, so I’m very wary of cutting out any particular portion of a ‘balanced diet’ and I like my carbs. So when I eat, I eat what I like, what I have always liked and what I don’t want to give up. I’m not advocating an unhealthy diet but I think it’s encouraging for a lot of people coming into this that it really doesn’t matter what you actually eat, as long as it’s within the calorie range for your on/off days you really can eat what you like. There are no “YOU MUST EAT THIS” “YOU MUSTN’T EAT THAT” rules that you really need to care about in order to get some results.

TracyJ.. thanks for the reply. I agree, I don’t want to be in the don’t eat carb mode. Its really really hard. When I mention carb monster its referring to my trigger foods. When I start one chip (not such a great carb)I can’t stop. When I start with a few crackers and cheese (sounds like a good healthy snack) I can’t seem to stop. So your right.. the carbs aren’t the monster. its my lack of control.

That’s my goal with 5:2 to use the control/fast days to gain control.

Great point about the carbs.

Hi redflame625, welcome aboard! I also suffer from lack of willpower when it comes to food – in fact, I bet it’s something that a lot of us can relate to and is probably the main reason (certainly for me) why we have become overweight in the first place! I’ve also found (and I appear to be in the minority with this) that I’ve still got a very hearty appetite three months after starting this diet and am wondering if I’ll ever get to enjoy the decreased appetite that so many other people have experienced! Keep at it, the benefits will start to emerge in the end:-)

hi and welcome,
    its lovely that you’ve decided to post after just reading on the forum,
    my change in choices adjusted by themselves over time, it took many months, but slowly slowly little things happened and now have become great big changes. i just can not eat like i used to or i feel very unwell, i still have everything i used to but just not as much, that for me has been the biggest plus for doing this plan. the very fact that you are recognising where your over doing things is change, small steps will get you to your goal, best of luck and keep posting x

Found some motivation for focus. I am throwing a 50th wedding anniversary party for my favorite aunt the party is Oct 25th so I went dress shopping. Granted I am haPpy to be out of my size 26 dress I was 2 years ago and in a nice size 16 but see that I want to Be in the smaller dress size. A couple of hours in a three sided full lenght mirror shows truth. Sunday is family day and a bit stressful for me but Monday back to work and fast day. I am laser focused

OH and BTW at size 16 I feel good about myself. Overall I am blessed and have an awesome life. But I do weigh 255 pounds and unleSs I am 6 feet tall that’s still too much weight for a woman to carry around. Laser focused

Here again. Starting week 4, still no movement on the scale. I’ve actually purchased the book and am planning to try something different. For the past fast days I was actually eating Sunday night up until 10pm ( you know getting the last night snack, cracker and cheese or cracker and peanut butter), then skipping breakfast and eating yogurt around noon ( which is 14 hours fasting ), followed by nothing until dinner around 6 (6 hours fasting ) making a total of 20 hours fasting. After reading the book, I am going to try a longer fasting period. Having the fast begin earlier Sunday night 8pm, eating light breakfast at 8am ( 12 hour fast), then eating diner Monday night at 8pm ( 12 hour fast ) with a total of 24 hours at 500 calorie fast day.

Does that make sense? Anyone think this will make a difference. Eating diner on MOnday at 8pm will be a challenge. Not deterred by the lack of weight loss, finding all the post and positive results from others inspiring. Reading the book, the science of IF sounds right, so I’m moving forward.. Still on the journey, hopefully I’ll find what works for me

Hi redflame, on my fast days I eat normally at 8pm the night before, then on fast day I have a light breakfast at 8am, then nothing until light dinner at 8pm and then nothing again until normal breakfast the next day at 8am. So although it is a 1 day fast, it is actually 36 hours rather than 24 hours. It seems to be working….. sometimes losing kgs, sometimes losing cms ! Either way I am happy !

StephB, I am in that minority with you – could still eat for Britain on non-fast days, but I am trying to be more careful !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.