Not making progress

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Laula 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Started fasting the end of January and by the second week lost 4.5 lbs. Today I find I’ve gained 3.3 or so. I am rather disappointed, but have been doing reading about time to adjust and staying within BMR and TDEE on non-fasting days. I thought I had been eating too little on those days aiming for about 1200 calories.

I have been in a yoyo pattern for a while after losing significant weight and keeping it off for five years. Thanks for ‘listening’.

Pay attention to what you eat on Slow Days, Laula. That will make all the difference. My TDEE for a Slow Day = 1450. I’ve been Fasting for 4+ years, Maintaining for 3+. My weight goes up and down daily, so don’t beat yourself up. You might find, as I did, that some foods which seem innocuous, are stealth weight-gainers which ‘stick to your hips’ and won’t come off for days. Rice does that to me.

Keep Fasting. Stick to your TDEE. Should work! Keep us posted.

Fasting_me,

Thank you. I did find a difference after my morning constitutional… will do. I feel better and think I look better, but I have a goal and want to get back there… I appreciate your comments.

Laula

Hi Laula, it may help to make another goal, alongside the one of getting to your healthy weight. If a second goal is to make 5:2 work sustainably in your life, you will have some other things to look at, besides the number on your scales. How easy are your fast days, how are non fast days working, what are the anxieties, and how can you deal best with them?
    When 5:2 is for long term health, rather than short term weight loss, the focus is more on the big picture, and that can be helpful when your evil scales are disappointing you. All the best.

Cinque,

Thank you for your comments. I feel better, and find the fast days a positive challenge – those days remind me that I can control what I eat, that I have choice… this week the non-fast days seemed more challenging – I was hungry, and fasted three days to off-set Super Bowl testing… I guess that didn’t work. I tried to make good choices, even said ‘no thank you’…LOL

“…evil scales… Ah, that has a ring to it. Onward, and with more care… while disappointed, I can’t give up. Again, my thanks…

Laula

Laula try using a cloth tape measure. Weight is impacted by many factors, it isn’t always bad when weight goes up. Lean body mass is heavy compared to fat but leads to a trimer body. Fasting shifts hormones and often helps build lean body mass especially if there is some exercise involved.

Dear Dykask,

Thank you for your supportive comments. Measurements have been taken, and I will certainly keep trying… the Lenten season presents 40 days of potential. I think I’ll leave the scale alone for that time and look for other signs, and measures.

Good fasting day today.. just under 500. I’ll watch tomorrow to have calories fall between TDEE and BMR.

Cheers,

Laula

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.