not losing weight

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  johnk624 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Hello

I have been on the diet for 4 weeks now, and i am not losing any weight. I think that i tend to eat too much on Non-Fast days, How can i stop this? Also, i thought that i could do 3 Fast Days, would this help at all?

I would appreciate it very much if someone could give me some advice on this soon.

Thanks

It may not be what you are eating on non-fast days. I have only done 3 days so far and have been far more sensible than normal on my ‘eating days’, only to find I lost half a pound and then put it back on, not lost the 3 pounds that seems the average (i.e. a pound for each fast day). Think I will do as advised and go on to three fast days a week for the next two weeks, to kick start it. I only need to lose 12 pounds (put on due to a hysterectomy, four weeks of being sedentary and possibly the HRT). Based on the experience of others I should in theory only have to do the two days a week for 6 weeks to lose the 12 pounds…

Why don’t you try three days a week for a few weeks?

Good luck!

Maybe you need to be a little more patient & give your body time to adjust to 5:2. When I started in January I made the conscious decision not to weigh myself & to focus on the health benefits as motivation, in fact I didn’t weigh myself for 6 months.
    The first week I fasted on 2 days, then the next three weeks I fasted 3 days per week (fell back to 2 days soon after)- probably due to initial enthusiasm as whilst my first fast day was unpleasant, I realised on waking the next morning that I hadn’t starved to death and I didn’t actually feel very hungry. After the 3rd fast day I started getting quite a buzz on waking after each fast day and my body felt slightly more comfortable with each passing fast.
    I got to recognise how hunger felt on my first fast day (possibly for the first time in my adult life), which progressively taught me how to differentiate between hunger and desire*, but this took some time. For the first few weeks I motivated myself through each fast day with the promise of ‘all you can eat’ non fast day treats and as a result probably lost very little weight over this period. However my body & mind within a few weeks became familiar the two extremes (feast/famine), as fast days became habit the need for motivational treats/rewards on non fast days diminished and I started to feel in control of what I previously thought was’hunger’, my stomach felt like in was slowly shrinking, I felt better physically & mentally and my non fast day ‘all you can eats’ became more selective as I learned to know when I’d had enough to eat & appreciate quality of food over quantity.

Just my opinion, but I’d suggest you stick with the 5:2 and treat the first few weeks as your ‘induction’ or ‘training’ period, don’t stress,it’s a long game, not a quick unsustainable fix. Just let yourself get used to the process and hopefully in a couple of months time you’ll look back and realise the 5:2 is one of the easiest things you’ve done in your life

*I soon after starting opted on fast days to have one or two cups of tea with milk & one sugar for breakfast, then consume nothing water and espresso’s until 7.00pm, giving a longer fast period. Often nowadays I don’t actually feel hungry in the evening so skip eating altogether – makes breakfast of toast and butter the next morning taste sensational

Hi I have been on 5:2 for five weeks I have lost 5lbs but nothing for the last 2 weeks my husband is still losing is this a common trend? Having tried all diet clubs etc out there I always lose weight,but then generally put it back on over the next 2-3 years.I know this is supposed to be more sustainable, but the slowness of it is disappointing.I have no trouble on fast days as I have always been a delayed eater.On any given day I might not eat at all until 2pmish.Obviously I then browse forthe rest of the day hence weight gain.so on fast days I just don’t browse.
    I think I might overeat on non fast days so just started a food diary today.

I’m not losing weight on 5:2 either, but I guess I am losing inches as clothes fit me that didn’t before and I feel so much better and more energetic! Sleeping is so much better. Out running 4 times/week and cycling 3 times/week. I log every single bit of food/drink I consume and as much as it is good to feel better etc, it would be so much better to see the scales budge!!! Thinking of bumping it up to 3 fast/week in the short-term to kick start it.

Hi, I have been on a 5:3 diet since 7th January i.e 6 months now! I started from 62kg and am now 59. Have not lost anything since the beginning of May. I find the fasting relatively easy and do Mon, Wed, Fri. Eat 100gr cucumber or celery and 100gr cherry tomatoes with 1 apple for lunch(1pm) and a Covent Garden soup for tea 6pm. No breakfast on fasting days but 3-4 cups of tea with milk which I add on the calorie count.I drink only water and never go over 500 calories. I am getting REALLY disheartened now and would appreciate any ideas! I am a 42 yr old woman and my weight had always been around 55 -56 kg until it slowly crept up in the last 5 yrs or so. I have never been a big eater so I find fasting days very easy. Do you think that may be the reason I am not losing waight? In fact in the last 8 weeks or so I have put on almost 1kg! (I had weighted myself at 58kg in the beginning of May). Can anyone help please!

Well done on the weight you have lost, great! Do you feel better, I know I do for sure. Re the weight loss, are you measuring yourself? Do your jeans fit better than they did? The Fast Diet is about good health with weight loss as a side benefit really. You may be losing inches without losing weight. I have gone from a size 14 to a 12 in 4 weeks, and lost 6lb. I am more happy about the 4inches around my stomach than the lost weight to be honest! This is a long term lifestyle change, not a quick fix diet so please don’t lose heart.

Thanks, yes I have definitely lost some inches as last years jeans are too big to wear! I made the mistake of not taking measurements but have certainly slimmed round the middle. Well done to you! 4 inches sounds such a lot!
    I have also discovered the calculator on this page now and it appears I should be having less than 1500 calories a day, which gives me 360 calories on fasting days. Essentially then I have been overeating on both fasting and non fasting days!(500 and 2000 cal) So I’ll try this and persevere, at least as you say it is only doing us good even if the scales don’t move much 🙂

My goodness, jjdroney, you really have been persevering – no wonder you are disheartened after trying so hard. Well done for applying yourself so diligently.
    You don’t describe your menu for non-fast days but, if your three fast days are anything to go by, I would say you are not getting enough nutrition, so, your body is desperately holding on to any fat reserves, trying to survive the famine it is experiencing. Each fast day food item you mention is fine in itself but, together, they do not add up to the balanced intake of protein, healthy fats, and carbohydrates necessary to sustain your physical needs.
    I would suggest you use the site’s calorie calculator to check your whether your BMI (Body Mass Index) is in the healthy range (between18.5 and 24.9) and what your recommended non-fast day intake should be, based on your size, age, activity levels, etc. The resulting figure is called your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and one-quarter (25%) of that would be the maximum suggested daily intake for each fast day. (Click on the calorie calculator link on the right-hand side of the page, under the red heading ‘helpful site links’, just under the book adverts, and read the information/ instructions there.)
    An average female’s TDEE is given as 2000 cal. You seem experienced at calorie counting but maybe you need to think more about which mix of foods constitutes a balanced diet. Certainly, the simplest mantra for a 5:2 fast day, as Mimi S says, is ‘mostly Plants and Protein’, i.e. lots of leafy green vegetables and some fruit with things like chicken (without the fatty skin), fish, eggs, beans and pulses, nuts and seeds for protein.
    Here’s just one website which gives some information about healthy eating and the various, necessary food groups – ChooseMyPlate.gov (US Dept of Agriculture):

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/

Hopefully, you will have time to read around various topics here on the forum and get some good suggestions for how best to proceed. I wish you happy eating and all success in your efforts.

Ah, good, jjdroney – you’ve found the calculator whilst I was off typing my reply. All best wishes.

Thank you Jeanius. I did suspect that apart from vegetables I eat mostly carbohydrate and dairy and not enough protein on NF days but was hoping to get away with it! I have also eaten THE SAME on all fast days for 1/2 year now and surely need to get less lazy with planning my meals. The fast day calories need to be reduced by a third too – goodness knows how:) but my NF days’ calories may need to be increased (although I have never really kept count). Getting on this blog has really helped take a fresh look at things; thank you all and good luck!

Good, jjdroney – It sounds like your picking up speed now. Take it steady, though – one of the key elements of the 5:2 approach is that it should not feel so much of a struggle or such hard work that you give up in frustration.
    If you take just a little while at the beginning to learn about a few good food choices – ones that suit your tastes and preferences – and the appropriate portion sizes for different items, depending on how calorie-dense they are, then, pretty soon it becomes second nature and you can judge things by eye and experience rather than having to formally calorie-count – then you’ll really be trucking. Hopefully, you’ll do so well that you’ll enjoy experimenting, finding tasty and nutritious new options and there’ll be no stopping you!
    (Many people find free online calorie trackers like MyFitnessPal very helpful and/or there are lots of food-listing books available to buy – or, if stuck, just type ‘how many calories in…[insert name of food]?’ into your online search engine and it usually finds some answers for you.)
    Don’t get too hung up on immediately having to reduce the fast day calories, if that feels too daunting and uncomfortable to start with. It might take your body a little while to adjust to the new regime, so give it time to settle into things gradually, but then you can be confident that you will get where you want to be in due time. Do have fun with it all!

Hi all in the family…I, too, have not lost any weight since starting the FastDiet three weeks ago. Have strictly followed the 600 cal for men, sometimes even on less, and have found it fairly easy to do. As I CANNOT sleep on an empty stomach, though, I have 1 or 2 cups of cottage cheese before I retire (about half or 1/3 of my allotted 600 calories). Even on my non-fast days, I have noticed a reduced need for food as well, but sometimes I eat past that, with generous amounts of red meat protein, or bbq chicken (w/o skin, of course). Have yet to add fish (and chips). Perhaps I should NOT eat past my lack of interest in food, and just wait until I am really hungry. Have always heard one should get protein right away to kick start the metabolism, so I just don’t KNOW how to go about my non-fast days. On my fast days, I tend to grab a handful of almonds, and 4 oz of orange juice to take with my daily vitamins and Avodart I must take for an enlarged prostate. Then, I will do a couple strawberries or some blueberries mid day, and a non cheese salad for dinner. By the time I get to bed, I have about 200 or 300 calories left to indulge in. I eat salads often, with not very much shredded cheese, and easy on the croutons, diet dressing, and soy bacon bits. Drinking water, but not urinating a whole lot, so maybe need to boost my water intake? I always think that my breakfast is going to be HUGE on my non-fast days, but have no more than two pancakes with a sprinkling of walnuts and blueberries, a pad of butter on each, and low sugar syrup, along with two strips of bacon, which stays with me until mid afternoon, or dinner time.

I have been a heavy eater for the last several years, until about a year ago. I noticed that I just don’t have the capacity to eat two plates of spaghetti as before, usually only ONE or TWO pcs of chicken instead of half a chicken, and instead will eat two cobs of corn with it. Perhaps I just have not given this enough time. I have noticed an improved sense of well being, but may be just wishful thinking. I weigh 193 lbs, and I am 5′ 8″ tall, 57 years young. Moderate activity daily. Please, if I could get as much insight as possible, I want to be slender and trim. Hoping to lose approx 30 pounds. Thank you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.