Newcomer.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• My name is Patricia from Australia. Found out about Dr Mosley on programs here. Have not tried this book before. So here’s hoping I can get healthy.

Just adding , I joined this site for motivation to stay focused. I am originally from the north of England, Birkenhead. Hoping to get back soon. Any tips to staying focused would help. Cheers.

Hi Janeanne
    Have a look at the August monthly challenge thread. I have participated in the monthly challenges for the past year and it has helped enormously to keep me motivated. I’ve now reached my goal weight but will continue to login daily to the challenge as I get to grips with maintenance as I need the company of others following 5:2. Lots of people there to answer queries and offer support.

Janeanne, welcome to Fasting. Those of us who have been at this for a while are here to to cheer you on. We have been Fasting for 5 years and my husband lost 45 pounds.
    -read the book
    -choose your days
    -plan your menu
    -plan some activities to distract you
    -remember that you can’t ‘eat anything you want’ on Slow Days
    -keep you eyes on the prize [a healthier you]
    -keep us posted on your progress

Thank you to all who replied, I will give an update. Thank you also for your inspiration. I started reading the book yesterday, couldn’t put it down. It all makes so much sense. Heard about it a while back, pity I didn’t do it then. Trying to get back to exercise after knee replacement. This will help. Patricia.

Hi, can anyone tell if it is ok to use diet jellies. Just wondering. Don’t use diet drinks. Thank you

Hi Janeanne, I fast more for health than weight loss. While I have been losing about 3kg/year on this eating pattern, I don’t restrict my calories on feasting days, I eat until I’m comfortably full. However I do avoid refined sugar and most processed foods when I can.

Since I’m following 5:2 for health I typically water fast. I also find water fasting easier than just eating a little. Although now I do know of things I could eat that would hold me, I still want to maximize the benefits of the fast. As fasting goes 36 hours isn’t that long of a fast. It is enough though to get a lot of health benefits especially if it is done often as it is with 5:2. I also use exercise a lot and find the short fasts work really well with that. I recommend HIIT style workouts over long cardio, but I still do some cardio (running).

I’ve only been fasting for a little over two years, but the impact has been profound. I started my current journey over six years ago and that that point I was close to having one foot in the grave. Starting weight was 106kg, these days my weight is around 80kg. Every year my weight has been lower and my health better as my annual physical assessment. I openly discuss my diet and fasting with my doctor. About 10 years ago my doctor said I needed to go on drugs to manage blood pressure and other issues. I said no but asked for his help changing my life style. There were a lot of false steps but I’ve stayed off of drugs and all of my health issues I had are gone. I think if I has cut sugar and started fasting sooner that it would saved a lot of time!

So you see there are a lot of different types of people here. I do encourage you to join the monthly challenge threads and those tend to be the most supportive and you choose what your challenge is. You can join anytime.

I wish you well!

Hi Dykask, thank you for writing. After having a knee replacement and caring for my m-I-L who has dementia. Have had chance to get back to exercise. I started optifast, then remembered about the book. I went and bought it and have read nearly all of it. I will finish my optifast Friday. Then start the book. Have joined the pool for therapy on my knee and have combined the gym in that . Looking forward to getting results. I gave lost 2.5 kgs but I know I will do much better here. All if you had great results. Will report in again in a few days. Kind regards patricia.

Hi, Janeann. In answer to your question about ‘diet jellies.’ I don’t recommend any ‘food’ product with the word “diet” in the name. Empty calories and fake sugar are just not a good idea. Real food and true flavors are the way to go.

Hi Janeanne. I endorse what fasting_me has said. As soon as you see the words, low fat, diet, etc. run the other way. If you choose to eat real unprocessed foods and avoid sugar and added sugar you really cant go much wrong. Personally I avoid anything that is grain based, which cuts out about 90% of the junk food that is out there. If you have to rely on other people to provide motivation for you, then you may not be ready to start your journey. Sorry to put it so bluntly. By all means take strength by other people’s stories but only you can provide the motivation. 92kgdown to 70kg. Took me just over one year. Have been in maintenance for over 3 1/2 years now. I water fast once per week, every Monday without fail. Good luck.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.