Newbie – started 6 weeks ago, going well, now putting on weight!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Newbie – started 6 weeks ago, going well, now putting on weight!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  katwalk808 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi everyone, I started the 5:2 fast diet 7 weeks ago and was losing around 1lb a week which made me feel like I was finally back in control of my weight after a few years of it steadily creeping up no matter what exercise or diet I did (middle age and menopausal!). Sadly, I put on a 1lb on week 5 and another on week 6. This week I’ve stayed static.

I stick religiously to 500 calories on the fasting days, and had gradually got used to the hunger pangs on the basis that tomorrow I could eat normally. I don’t pig out on the normal days, but just eat what I normally do (which is around 1200-1500 calories a day) I do aerobic exercise 3 times a week. I’m really struggling to stay with it now, so thought I’d join the forum to see what others are up to and to maybe get some advice and support.

I have thought of alternate day fasting but it’s too intrusive in your life and I really can’t face the thought of it, so that’s not an option. I’m not sure why this has happened, and how to kick start the weight loss again. I am so very disappointed :o(

One thing to bear in mind is that when you exercise you build muscle, muscle is heavier than fat and it is natural to increase weight when exercising. The important thing to look at is if you are changing in shape or size. If not, then it could just be extra muscle building.

Hello, Lulu01 – Your account of initial success and then apparent stalling or reversal seems to be quite common. I know my own tendency was to be very focused and precise in applying the 5:2 principles to start with but then I settled down somewhat and became rather too casual. To my mind, this sort of ‘slippage’ of attention is a natural human inclination during any on-going process. I hope you have the time to read around the forum, to find the various topics and discussions on this issue that might help. But, if none of the other possible explanations seem to fit your particular bill, then perhaps you might monitor your food choices and overall intake, on both fast and non-fast days, for a short while – just one or two weeks perhaps. Many people who have tried this have been surprised to find just how much they had been underestimating their intake and/or making poor decisions, relying on too many calorie-dense items too often. All best wishes for an easy re-booting of your progress.

Hi Lulu01 – just a thought, are you eating enough on your non fasting days?? I’ve found it is better to be a bit relaxed rather than too restrictive. 1200 – 1500 is not a lot of calories if you are fairly active.

Thanks for the posts grabrail, Jeanius and Chris50, it’s nice to hear from others. I’ve now had a chance to read through various posts and as Jeanius says, initial success followed by stalling/putting on weight does seem to be quite common. Interesting that the Horizon programme and book don’t really mention this! I haven’t found an explanation for it online and wonder if Dr Mosley or Mimi Spencer have any thoughts on the reasons.

I’m not so bothered by my weight as I am by the flab, to be honest. I’m still relatively slim for my height/build, but am definitely soft and flabby around the middle and can’t shift it no matter what exercise or diet I do.

I’m off on holiday this week so will probably eat normally whilst away and re-start the diet after that, see how I go.

Good luck to everyone else!

Hi Newbie, I also started around the same time as you. I lost half a kilo after the first week, but now I seem to have put it back on, although weirdly my clothes seem to fit better and my waist measurement is definitely down by around 3 cm. I put this lack of progress down to a few pudding-rich weekends involving family parties and a conference with delicious food. Perhaps I have been taking the advice in the book – eat normally on non-fast days – too literally, so I must watch that! But I have noticed that I don’t get as hungry between meals as I used to, so that’s a benefit, especially when you work from home and find yourself constantly at the fridge and food cupboard looking for snacks!

Hi KariKSK

My weight is all over the place! I lost a little more after a couple of weeks of stalling/putting it on. Whilst we were away, I put on a kilo or so but have lost that this week since returning to normal. It’ll be interesting to see how things go from now on.

Interesting that your clothes fit better. I haven’t noticed any difference – if the scales didn’t tell me I’d lost weight, I wouldn’t believe it!

Like you, I work from home but don’t tend to snack a lot. I have found it easier to switch off from food though since I started.

Good luck!

I started “officially” on May 1 and was ecstatic to lose 6 lbs the first month. But haven’t weighed myself since because I don’t feel as though I’ve lost any more. Don’t think I’ve gained, but my clothes don’t feel any looser. I am fasting today and will weigh tomorrow morning. I keep reminding myself the main reason I am doing this is for health, not weight loss. Still, after a lifetime of dieting it’s hard to stop thinking about it.

I have learned some valuable lessons so far: I get a better work-out on an empty stomach; missing a meal is not such a big deal; and even on non-fast days I’ve learned to ignore hunger pangs when it isn’t meal time. They usually go away all on their own.

Also have been doing this during a very stressful time (dealing with elderly mother, having to move her close by and take over her finances, etc.) I had been battling mild depression but that seems to be completely gone and am sleeping better.

So let’s hang in there and see where this journey leads us!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.