Newbie – scared and confused

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hello there,

I’m a 41 year old woman, with three kids between 6-11. I quit smoking 2,5 years ago and started to put on weight slowly. First it was not a problem at all as I was a little underweight that time, but in the last year I gained approx. 10kgs, than I’ve lost my father in January and put on another 5. My real problem is emotional overeating. I switched to food (snacks) from cigarettes. 🙁

I’ve been reading this forum for days now. I’ve done 2-3 weeks on 16:8 3 weeks ago, and found the results very impressing. I felt better both physically and mentally (reduced inflammation, pain, more energy and better mood). Then I’ had a few crazy weeks going on, lots of stress with lots of candy etc.

I have 3 main goals right now.
    1. Lose 15 kgs to become me again
    2. Stop reaching for food all the time
    3. Controll my addiction for sugar

So I decided to start 5:2 fasting, but I’m not sure I can do it.

I’m a SAHM living abroad with my kids for 2 months now (moved a week ago). So no social connection, but easy access to food any time.
    Once I start eating I find it difficult to stop when I feel lonely, or bored, or angry (typical triggers as well for cigarettes).

I have coping strategies from quitting cigarettes, but this one seems to be harder at this point, since I can not avoid food completely. I have to have foods at home, shop, prepare and cook for the kids etc. How am I going to manage it?!

My plan is the following:
    Have lunch between 1-2 and dinner between 7-8, with no food in between and after 8 PM. Have a FD on Tuesday and on Friday. I would eat what I want on NFDs but limit myself to one plateful. For drinks water and tea or sugar free home made limonade. On FD I’ll try only water, but if I find myself starving I would eat only fruits/veggies at the above mentioned mealtime.

Would that work?
    Any ideas, suggestions welcome.

I’m approx. 74 kg (163 lb) right now with a height of 5 ft 6”.

Please help me stay on track, I really want to be comfortable in my body again.

YES, Annamarie, that sounds as if it should work. Do eat protein: lean meat or fish or eggs. Protein helps you stay full longer, plus it prevents muscle loss.
    There are lots of meals that we eat on Fast Days that can be served to non-Fasters, but in larger quantities and will more side dishes.
    EX: Roast chicken breast [3 oz] for you with a side of green beans [3 oz]. For the children, legs and thighs of chicken, boiled potatoes, green beans.
    EX: Felafel 1 batch = 648 cal 25.4 g fat 21 g fiber 32.5 g protein 72 g carbs 214 mg Ca
    each patty= 30 cal 1.2 g fat 0.8 g fiber 1.6 g protein 4 g carbs 8.5 mg Calcium GF PB From the good old Moosewood Cookbook by Molly Katzen, these are easy to prepare and set you up for several servings of future meals.
    2 cups canned chick peas I like Goya brand [if you use dried chickpeas, you will get a grainer product. Factor in the time to reconstitute and cook them] 1.5 cloves garlic, crushed [add as much as you enjoy!] ¼ cup celery, minced ¼ c. scallions, sliced 1 egg 1.5 tsp tahini ½ t. cumin ½ t. tumeric ¼ t. cayenne ¼ t. black pepper 1.5 t. salt
    Combine in food processer until ingredients form a uniform paste. Scoop into a bowl and chill 1 hour. Form into balls on a silicone mat or parchment paper on a cookie sheet. I used a 1 and 1/2 Tbsp scoop and then flattened the patties. TIP: You don’t have to bake them now. You could freeze the patties on a cookie sheet, then put them frozen into bags to cook later. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. The patties should be heated through and have an outside ‘crust’ which is firm to the touch. In most recipes, you will cook them further. At this point you want them to be firm enough to store well. There will be about 25 of them. Use now or cool and freeze for later use.
    You could eat 3 of the patties with a salad while the children have them in pita pockets with some salad.

Good luck. keep us posted.

You can join the monthly challenge. People are welcome at any time can your challenge is whatever you decide, you don’t even have to share it. However there are a lot of people sharing ideas, experiences and also supporting each other.

I generally only water fast because I find the hunger is less and more manageable. Once I eat it is much harder. Your idea of just eating fruits/vegetables if needed on a FD is good as you will get the most bulk for the calories. I think fasting while having to cook will be difficult and I don’t have much experience with that. I’m sure some others do.

Thank you for the tips and recipes @fasting_me. That sounds great (especially on an empty stomach) 🙂
    I will definitely try them!

@dykask Thanks for the invitation. I will definietely visit that topic!
    I thought it would be easier to only water fast too, but i have to figure it out. Maybe I can cook on my NFDs and just rehead the food on FDs for the kids?

Anyway, i’m looking forward to my first FD tomorrow. I really hope I can manage it without being a total jerk due to low blood sugar.

Hi guys… Just wondering how we calculate calories in salads?? Iv been having a cucumber spinach tomatoes carrots and radish salad for lunch just salt and lemon dressing. But I don’t know how I work out the calories.

@annamariav as a person that has checked my blood glucose many times while fasting, I don’t think you’ll really experience low blood sugar until your liver runs out of glycogen. That takes anywhere from 20 to 24 hours of fasting for most people. At that point you might experience a temporary drop in blood sugar. I typically see around a 10% drop that lasts a little over an hour. I used to feel a little light headed but that doesn’t happen anymore.

I don’t think low blood sugar provokes anger. How sugar addiction is a different thing and that could make you short tempered. As a person that has greatly reduced refined sugar in my diet, I firmly believe sugar addiction is a real thing. So if that is what you might in fact be biting people’s heads off. I know those feelings though were really related to low blood sugar, at least for myself.

These days fasting isn’t that hard for me. However my first full day fasts weren’t easy for me. If you have to give up there isn’t any shame if you don’t let it stop you. As a person that has fasted well over 200 days at this point (counting by hours) you can be sure I have had to give up on a fast before or even skip a fast at times. Things happen. For a while I would sometimes start feeling bad and a bowl of miso soup would pick me up for only about 35 calories. That hasn’t happened now for months.

I used to do things like allow myself diet cola on fast days. Basically comfort things. However I haven’t done that for months. Giving up on it because natural and easy at some point. So if you need to do things to help yourself fast, there really isn’t any shame in it. Fasting is a stress on your body, but the benefits can be amazing.

Good luck!

PS. I’m about 25 hours into a fast right now. I’ll end it around 36 or 37 hours and enjoy doing so!

I do believe in sugar addiction, unfortunately i’m one of those affected. I’ll drink plenty of water, that helps with the craving and detoxifies the body as well.
    Thanks again for the encouragement. I hope I can manage my first fast day as planned. Feeling a little anxious though.
    Today is a NFD for me, i had my lunch after 1 PM, fresh salad, rice and pork. Only one plate. I was satiesfied, but I’m already hungry and it’s 6 PM here i’ll have dinner with the kids in a few minutes, that means my fast starts earlier than planned. I keep saying myself that it’s no big deal..

Don’t over-think this, Annamaria. You might find that it goes more smoothly than you think it will.

you are right. I let it go. 🙂

AMV,

Just do it. There are hundreds on this forum that are doing it. Takes a bit of will power to start with as your liver will be VERY lazy to start with. After a couple of months it will be real easy. Just did my fast day yesterday. Did some housework, mowed the lawns and went for a bike ride, all while doing my 36 hour fast (water only). Don’t try this until you’ve been doing it for a while though. Ive been at this for over 3 years now.

Try having the pork and salad without the rice. You may find it is a lot easier without the refined carbs in the rice.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advices @bigbooty. Wow, 3 years! What health related benefits did you gain all that time?
    As for the rice, first I need to stop the constant snacking and get used to eat proper meals. That is already a big change for me. Later on I can deal with the carbs and choosing healthier ingredients. One step at a time. 🙂

Well, the first FD wasn’t as hard as expected. But I couldn’t do the only water fast. I don’t mind, I will get to there. I did ate twice, some fruit at 2.30PM, and a carrot and some frozen grapes at 8.30. I need to buy some nuts as well, for the next FD.

It wasn’t easy when I had to shop for foods and prepare the lunch and dinner for the kids, but I did it. I’m so proud! 😀

I’m planning an early bedtime, as I didn’t sleep well last night.
    Next meal is tomorrow at 1. I can’t decide what to eat. 🙂 Next FD is on Friday.

Thanks all for being here to help us newbies. 🌸

Hurrah for completing your first Fast Day.
    Keep on keeping on!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.