Newbie on first day of fast!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sylvestra 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Hello all

Well I was dreading doing the fast day but I don’t think it’s gone too bad so far. Yes I did get very hungry at around 11am as I am used to having porridge and banana for breakfast but today I had a small fat free yoghurt and a tablespoon of frozen fruit. For lunch I had half a pot of fresh soup (tomato and basil) and my evening meal was a concoction of soya mince (which is very low in cals and fat and fills you!) , veggies and stock cooked in my pressure cooker so it turned out more like a broth but it was yummy and I am now full up again. I will have a coffee with a splash of mil later tonight which will then take me up to around the 500 calorie mark. I hope my 2nd fast day (which I will do Thursday) is as easier as today. Only thing I can see myself struggling with is the evening meal as I also cook for my partner and daughter (who are not on diets 🙂 ) I don’t think I could save up my allowance and eat it all for one meal, I’d be ravenous and I think I would cave in and end up eating something I shouldn’t. I am not massively overweight (I’m 5ft 3″ tall and a size 12/14) but I would like to lose around 1 and half to 2 stones ideally. The main reason I have decided to do this diet is because I suffer with IBS and have stomach pain/cramps and bloating on a daily basis. I’m kinda hoping this diet helps with my symptoms as well as losing a few pounds.

Hello msjoolz and Welcome to the fast diet forum

Good luck with starting this WOE (way of eating). I wouldn’t be at all suprised to hear that it does have an affect on your IBS – let us know!

Thank you PreciousBooBoo. Thank you and I certainly hope so 😀

Hello again msjoolz

My advice would be to encourage your partner to make those two meals and you do something else instead or if you have to make them; then just leave them to it and go out of the room!
    A lot of people come on here whilst fasting! me included
    It keeps your fingers busy!

Hi msjoolz

Well done on your fasting so far, good advoce from PreciousBooBoo!! 5.2 has many health benefits and am sure you will find that for yoursefl once you have a few fasts under your belt!

Good luck and happy fasting 🙂

I had my first fasting day today too. I was only told about the diet yesterday…strike while the iron is hot etc.
    I am normally straight into my breakfast the minute i get up but had a coffee in bed, then another for breakfast. This kept me going and so missed the 11 am mentioned earlier. At 4 pm i had to have some toast and just had an apple now.
    It isn’t easy when you are feeding other people. I have had both my children at home with me today and feeding them wasn’t easy but i just had another coffee. Not sure if i am even doing it right as i haven’t read the book yet….on order from amazon.
    I like the fact that the pressure is off a bit and it is only 1 day, really looking forward to my bowl of cereal in the morning….
    Anyway, good luck msjoolz.
    Talking of keeping fingers busy, this worked for me today, i have taught myself and my daughter how to crochet in the round. We have done an orange place mat, 2 grey coasters and a large rug from recycled bed sheet. All round…
    Happy fasting..

Hi everyone, this is my second day of the first try. I was doing really well yesterday until 5pm. In Perth it was 38 degrees and I buckled as my kids had a swim in the pool. I had a couple of beers. So I am again starting my first fast day today.
    My starting weight is 67kg and I only want to lose about 8kg. I am also going to suggest my brother and sister-in-law start as they need to lose a few kg’s too.
    Wish me luck and I will keep you updated.
    Mel

Today was my 1st day too & all in all I’m surprised how well I have handled it 🙂
    I didn’t eat anything till dinner time & think I could have been satisfied with half as much. That said, I ate everything that I had set out for myself.
    Water & 1 cup of green tea were my companions throughout the day & I kept myself busy with a few errands, a short walk & lots of reading. Really a rather pleasant day.

Yesterday was my first day, second bite of the cherry as I started this time last year and then fell off the wagon after 6 months and 33lbs weight loss!
    Good day all in all, started with a cup of t and 30 mins on the Wii.
    Lunch was a Warburtons thin with Philadelphia light, black pepper and spring onion and 5 cherry tomatoes. Dinner should have been cod with green beans and baby new potatoes. I defrosted the fish but when I opened the packet the smell was so strong it went straight in the bin! I could have cried as I had everything planned but I decided to think on my feet and we had Spanish omlette( I had already done the potatoes) with mushrooms and more tomatoes.
    Lots of water to drink and ended the day feeling not too hungry.
    Eventually I hope to move to just one main meal with all my calories in the evening, it’s worked for me in the past and gives me a full 24 hour fast but yesterday I just couldn’t face it. If I recall I was about four weeks into the plan before I started it last time.
    Good luck everyone who is starting for the first time, or like me, starting again!
    It really does work when you stick with it!

Thank you all for all your kind comments and tips. I will certainly take them on board!!

I have already prepared my food for my 2nd fast day (which will be Thursday) I’ve made a yummy vegi soup with chunky veg so it will give me something to sink my teeth into at lunchtime 😀 Today went well on my non fast day. I did think I’d be ravenous after my fast day but really I haven’t been at all. I’ve eaten less than I usually do and very healthily.

Can I just ask you all do you calorie count on your non fast day? I have been. Really just to keep a check on how many calories I am consuming. I’ve done the calculations and my BMR is 1317 calories and my TDEE is 1581. Am I right in sticking to around the 1300 calorie mark on non fast days???? I’m a little confused about this. I have ordered the book but i’m awaiting delivery of it.

Thanks in advance

@msjoolz….there is a thread on calorie counting on non fast days but the general reply is – some us do and some of us don’t so really it’s up to the individual. There is no right or wrong way.

Personally, I DO count calories on non fat days. I use My Fitness Pal as I like to make sure I stay within my allowances.

If your BMR is 1317 you should be eating at the very least this amount on your non fast days. Your BMR is the level your body needs just to exist with no movement. Probably around 1450 minimum would be better.

I try to aim for somewhere between my BMR (1130) and my TDEE (1610) and usually end up with around 1450 – 1500.

It’s up to the individual whether to track calories or not but it’s quite a good idea in the beginning so you have an idea of portion sizes and calorie values.

Good luck x

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.