Newbie –

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Linds 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Hi all, I’ve been reading up on this way of eating & am looking forward to starting properly tomorrow. I’m thinking of buying the kindle edition of the book & recipe book. Has anyone else done this? Or should I stick to the old fashioned paper 🙂

Looking forward to losing some weight!

Hi loulou78 – I have been on the plan for 10 weeks now and have lost 14lbs without buying the book or using the recipes. This is the first time I have posted something and have enjoyed reading other people’s tips and stories.

Personally I have found that, at the beginning, I was counting down the time until I could have something to eat at lunchtime and was aiming for 100 to 150 calories then, 300 at dinner time (usually chicken and salad or soup around 7pm) so that I could have another 100 calories or so with my coffee around 9pm. Now I am finding that I can go all day without anything other that water and I am not constantly thinking about when I will be able to eat again.

I have also found, like others, that I am more conscious of what I am eating on non fast days. I have got a bit obsessive about counting calories but only because I don’t want to undo the good that has been done on the fast days.

Hi loulou78, like Linds I haven’t bought the book either. I watched the documentary on YouTube and read all the info on this site and that has really been enough.

I love cooking, and never eat convenience or junk food and when I started I imagined that I would conjur up all kinds of fabulous dishes for less than 500 calories on fast days. This after having realised very quickly that I found it FAR easier to save all calories until the evening on fast days so I could look forward to a decent meal, and stave hunger off with water, fruit teas etc. during the rest of the day.

However, most weeks I have just gone for something extremely simple on fast days – in fact about 80% of the time my fast day meals have consisted of half a tin of beans on toast with a sprinkling of cheese twice a week – followed by a sugar free jelly or low-cal youghurt if I was still hungry. Cheap, easy and filling if not exactly exciting! The only reason I didn’t do this all the time was if I was travelling with work and then I just had soup or a salad.

So I guess it kind of depends on your approach. The beauty of the simple approach is you dont have to think much about what to eat on fast days but I guess it can get a bit dull. But it is only for 2 days a week!

On non-fast days I am careful about what I eat. I don’t count calories, but try not to start eating unless I am hungry and crucially to stop when I feel full – regardless of ‘wasting food’. And because of this I am far more fussy about what I eat – as I want to savour things on the days I am allowed! I do still drink beer and wine at weekends and eat out a lot though.

It is definitely working. Over 17 weeks (2 of which I was in Spain on holiday and not following the plan) I have lost 21 lbs, and I am sedentary awaiting a hip replacement op with a hideously low TDEE of around 1650.I feel fully in control of my eating without having to spend hours worrying about what I eat and counting calories.

Good luck with your weight loss – you just have to find a way that works for you, everyone is different – and the lovely people on this forum are a great source of support and encouragement 🙂

Cath x

Hi Cath, well done with your weight loss, that’s a great amount.

I should have said that I watched the documentary in April – I only wish I had started it then!! I thought that 500 calories wasn’t very much and wasn’t doable but after eating my way through the Summer I decided I needed to do something and thought I might as well give it a go.

I usually do my fast on Mondays and Wednesdays as I’ve generally indulged (in alcohol as much as anything else) at the weekend so have found that Monday is a good day to start and also there’s always Tuesdays and Thursdays if I “fall off the wagon”. On non fast days I have also started to think about whether I am actually hungry before I eat anything and, like you, a bit more fussy. I’ve realised that I won’t die if I don’t eat for a few hours and sometimes I have even stopped eating something because I’m not enjoying it!

I agree Cath, you just have to find a way that works for you. At the end of the day eating less and moving more (if you can) will work – it’s breaking the bad habits that is hard. Linda

Hi Linds & Cath, thank you both for your replies. I will definitely find the documentary on YouTube & will not get the books for now. I have been calorie counting for longer than i can remember & have always been very careful with what i eat. Im a bit of a foodie & love cooking! Ive tried other ways to lose weight but get bored of them. I use the my fitness pal app to track my Food daily but lately ive Put on weight not Lost it!
    Time for a change & im really looking forward to it. The forum is great & motivation from others always helps

Thank you x

loulou…..I came to 5:2 after hitting a 2 month plateau after losing 35lbs calorie counting. I also use My Fitness Pal and tracking calories has become second nature to me.

I find 5:2 so easy, perhaps because of the calorie counting, as it’s 500 cals on two non consecutive days and eating up to TDEE on the others. I’m usually under my TDEE which is 1650 and aim for 400, which is 25% of that, on fast days.

I’m on week 6 and so far have lost a further 8lbs.

When I started I was eating 3 small meals on fast days but now I go through to early evening with just black coffee and water before eating. I find this better because, as others have found, I don’t get hungry on fast days until AFTER I’ve had something to eat.

Good luck, Go for it – it’s definitely worth it.

Thank you Sylvestra 🙂 x

Heey Loulou and Linds! Both first time posters, one a bit further along in the program but I’m still going to welcome you both to the forums 😉 Keep us posted on how you’re doing and keep coming back for inspiration and tips (or motivation, should you require it!)

Happy holidays!

Hi, I thought I’d give you a quick update. I did my first fast day yesterday, it went ok 🙂 I managed to not eat until 7pm and had drinks ie tea, hot water, fruit tea, coffee up until then. Today I feel really tired and although I’m a bit hungry, haven’t managed to eat much! I guess it’s my body just getting used to a change. I did a 3 mile walk yesterday with my friend who is also doing the diet, it’s a great support. Any top tips? x

Hi Loulou, me and my other half our newbies too and did our first fast day a couple of days ago. Our next fast day is tomorrow!
    If you’re tired I find having a chopped apple much better than coffee to get me awake. That might also help with your hunger. Just make sure you keep up your water levels, especially after a fast day. I’m not expert but I found it makes me feel less slugish. Hope that helps a little.

Hi and well done to you both on your first fasts!!

sound like you have it all sussed, and its going to get easier as you do more fasts 🙂

Loulou I cant think of any tips lol, you seem to be on top of it and with a positive attitude to boot, way to go!!

happy fasting to you both 🙂

Hi, I have been posting on other threads because I can’t find the one I have been on sometimes!

Anyway, I am looking forward to my weigh in tomorrow after my 2nd fast day of the week after putting 5lb on over Christmas! I managed my 1st fast day on Monday and so far, so good today too. I’ve not had anything to eat yet, just some water and a fruit tea. The thought of warm chicken and salad for tea is keeping me going.

Not sure I have any tips apart from keep reading the posts to give you inspiration and encouragement. I’ve talked about it with a few people, sister, friends etc. but haven’t managed to convince them to try it although I think my sister may be persuaded, so it’s the only place I can go to for support. Keep at it – it will be worth it, especially when you see a difference in the scales, how your clothes fit etc.

I am pleased to report a 5lb weight loss this week!! This is the most I have lost in any one week but it’s all the weight I put on over Christmas. I had hoped for a couple of pounds so I am delighted with this. Now I can get on and pick up where I left off.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.