New to this

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi everyone – At last I’ve taken the plunge and today is my first fasting day.

Until early 2017 I was my ideal weight, with a healthy diet and active lifestyle. Then I was knocked off the hamster wheel and everything changed.

I was assaulted at work and sustained a severe back injury, which in turn affected my knee (due to compensation in gait & posture).

As a result, my mobility has been severely reduced, so it’s been difficult to burn off the calories and I’ve gained weight. Also, I suffered PTSD due to the incident, and went through a phase of comfort eating at that time. The comfort eating has stopped, but I’m still carrying the weight it caused.

I am due to have knee replacement surgery sometime in the next 4-6 months, and I’m determined to get back to my “normal” weight beforehand. This will obviously make things easier for the operation, and put less strain on the new joint, but it will also help my self esteem to be back to my previous weight.

So here I am, on my first visit, and feeling excited but also a little apprehensive whether I can achieve my goals. Although I have the incentive to lose weight, my problem is sticking with the regime, so I look forward to reading your experiences with the 5:2 diet, and I’m sure that will give me the encouragement to persevere

Exciting for you, Tipsywitch, to embark on a new, restorative phase of your life. You have been through a lot. To get through Fasting, you need a good plan and a method to avoid back-sliding or negative thoughts. Is there a gal-pal/sister who can be your support system, maybe even Fasting along with you? Then if you feel down, you could call her to talk you out of the up-coming comfort food binge.

My husband and I have been Fasting for 5.5 years — it is a Lifestyle, you know. We got to our target weight in 8 months and have kept the weight where we want it since then. Every week, we plan what we will eat on Fast Days and write it on the calendar. That way we know what ingredients to have on hand and we can look forward to the delicious, special foods we will eat on the Fast Day. Hiding the snacks [or having only healthy snacks available] on a Fast Day can be part of the planning.
    You may eventually look more closely at what you eat on Slow Days: a reduction of calories here and there can really help.
    Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hi there, and thanks for your words of encouragement.

No – there’s nobody who can support me through the diet. Told my daughter I was starting this regime, hoping she would support me, and she tried to talk me out of it, saying it would have an adverse effect on my metabolism and make me ill. I realise her intentions were good but chose to ignore her lecture, as I believe she is incorrect, especially since I studied diet & nutrition at college many years ago and know a lot more about metabolism than she does.

I’m on the final day of week 1, and didn’t have any problems on the fast days. I’ve never calorie counted before, but since day one I have kept a record of my calorie intake, keeping it between 400 – 500 on fast days, and 1500-1600 on non-fast days.

As a vegetarian who eats a 99% vegan diet, my main issue is getting enough protein into the limited amount of food I’m eating.

Week 2 starts tomorrow and I’m determined to persevere and keep my willpower strong.

I’ll keep you posted.

Glad you ignored your daughter. She is ill-informed. Here are some high-protein meals:

dinner-
    Zucchini Fritatta: 280 cal 12.8 g fat 3.5 g fiber 20.3 g protein 14.6 g carb 296 mg Calcium GF PB HINT: serves two, so save half for lunches or dine with a friend. Inspired by a recipe in Fresh Ways with Vegetables, https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Ways-Vegetables-Healthy-Cooking/dp/080945808X part of a Time-Life series. This is really delicious and can be prepared any time of year.
    2 two-oz eggs + 2 egg whites ¼ cup low-fat ricotta chesse thyme, salt, pepper to taste 3 oz mushrooms, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed ¼ c. onion, chopped ½ pound zucchini, grated 1 tsp lemon juice 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated 1 – ½ oz mozzerella cheese, grated
    Whisk the eggs, ricotta, salt, pepper, and thyme together. Heat the broiler. Cook the mushrooms, garlic, and onion in an oven-safe pan for 2-3 minutes. Add zucchini and lemon juice and cook about 5 minutes, until vegetables are soft and all the liquid has evaporated. Turn the heat down to medium and stir in the Parmesan. Smooth the surface of the vegetables in the pan and pour in the egg/ricotta mixture. [OR: spritz two 8” cast iron pans with non-stick spray. Divide the zucchini mixture between the 2 pans, spreading it out and smoothing it down. Pour 100 ml of the egg mixture into each pan, tilting it to distribute the egg evenly.] Cook on the stove-top for 1 minute. Sprinkle with mozzerella and put under the broiler for 2-3 minutes. Cut in half, if cooking in one pan. Save that half for tomorrow or serve proudly to your dinner companion.

Feta Nicoise Salad: 243 calories 6.0 g fat 2.2 g fiber 15.8 g protein 25 g carbs 244 mg Calcium PB GF There is a lot of food on this plate – bring your appetite.
    1.5 romaine leaves OR 1 cup lettuce, sliced cross-ways ¼ cup green beans 1 scant cup cucumber OR zucchini, diced 1/2 c feta cheese, crumbled or diced 1.5 black olives, quartered 1 tsp flavorful olive oil 1 tsp white wine vinegar
    Steam the green beans, cool and set aside. Slice the romaine crosswise into 1” strips. Prepare the other ingredients as described. Pour the oil and vinegar into a wide, shallow bowl and whisk briskly. Put all the other ingredients in the bowl and toss gently to coat with dressing. Welcome to southern France for fine dining.

Fish Parmigina: 279 calories 8.2 g fat 4.8 g fiber 31.5 g protein 17.4 g carbs 337 mg Calcium PB Crunchy and flavorful: a real treat from the Canadian Cheese Board. Doubles or triples easily.
    2 Tbsp white whole wheat flour 1 egg white + a little water 3 Tbsp fresh bread crumbs 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated 3 oz firm white fish filets, such as tilapia 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes 1 tsp capers lemon zest + basil leaves 1 oz mozzerella cheese, grated or sliced 3 oz green beans
    Set the oven at 400 F. Combine flour, salt, and pepper on a plate. Whisk egg white with a little water in a soup plate. Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan on a plate. Roll the fish in the flour, then roll it in the egg white, the roll it in the crumbs/cheese. Lay the fish on a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover your baking dish. Spray the fish with non-sick spray and bake 5-7 minutes. Turn the fish over and bake 5-7 minutes. Combine tomatoes, capers, zest, and basil. Spoon on top of the fish, then top with mozzerella. If you have any remaining crumbs/Parmesan, sprinkle that on the mozzerella. Return the fish to the oven and bake about 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden.

Chickpea Ragout with fish: 121 calories PLUS calories from the fish you choose 2.8 g fat 5.3 g fiber 5.8 g protein 20 g carbs 26 mg Calcium GF PB Prepare the simple ragout, add the fish of your choice.
    This is from Jacques Pepin’s Fast Food My Way. Although he doesn’t mean my kind of ‘Fast Food,’ Pepin has long been a proponent of healthy cooking. He presents this as a side dish, but for our purposes it is best prepared as a main course with seafood for more protein.
    ½ cup Chickpea Ragout [see Saucy, Dec 6, 2018] your choice of fish: 4 oz swordfish 139 calories 4 oz cod 92 calories 4 oz salmon 160 calories 4 oz halibut 124 calories 4 oz smelts 110 calories 2 oz shad 140 calories
    Put the Chickpea Ragout in a small pan with a few tablespoons of water. Place the fish on top. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until fish is cooked. All done. All delicious. YOU WILL NOTICE THAT THE RAGOUT ITSELF HAS LITTLE PROTEIN, BUT THE FISH ADDS LOTS.

breakfast:
    Improper English: 289 calories 2.5 g fat 5.8 g fiber 16 g protein 61 g carb 210.8 mg Calcium NB: those are COMPLEX carbs, the kind that are good for you. Or, you could eliminate the bread. A “proper English” is the full Victorian breakfast, serving every conceivable food you can imagine. This version leaves out the eggs and kippers [how improper!], but keeps the protein-rich baked beans along with the rest of the usual stand-bys.
    ¼ cup baked beans one slice 3%-fat ham 1/4 piece of 70-cal whole-grain toast ½ of a 2.5” diameter tomato 1 oz mushrooms a few grapes 5-6 oz fruit or green smoothie or unpasturized apple cider blackish coffee or tea or lemon in hot water
    Cut the tomato around its equator and put one half away for later. Salt the tomato and put under the broiler until it softens. Cook the ham and mushrooms in the same pan to heat through. Heat the beans – perhaps in the microwave. Toast the bread and brew the hot beverage. Pour the smoothie and plate everything. Cheerio!

Citrus Breakfast: 290 calories 1.6 g fat 3.6 g fiber 21 g protein 48 g carbs [38 g Complex] 289 mg Calcium PB GF Is this the breakfast you imagine when you think ‘go on a diet’? Does it look like starvation rations? Banish those thoughts! Delicious, nutritious, and filling, this is a great breakfast for anyone, anyday. And it has tons of Vitamin C and A and D.
    ½ cup reduced-fat cottage cheese 2 Tbsp fat-free French Vanilla yogurthttps://www.stonyfield.com/products/yogurt/smooth-creamy/fat-free-french-vanilla-32oz 1 clementine, peeled and sectioned 2 Tbsp black currants 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or green smoothie or natural apple cider blackish coffee, blackish tea, or lemon in hot water
    Combine all the dairy and fruit [or combine the dairy and garnish with fruit after plateing]. Knowing that I would have a busy morning, I did this the night before and refrigerated it. Great for a grab-and-go meal. With the hot beverage and smoothie, it is a vitamin-blast.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.