Need to Refigure my Fasts

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  colemore 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• My first 6 months of 5:2 saw me lose 11 kgs. Thats was great. I slowed down after that and just managed to keep thatweight off. I had a break because I stopped losing weight. I have managed over the last 6 months to maintain what I lost but now I need to continue for another 5-6 kgs but it just isn’t happening for me.

I am 67 years old, I am yoyoing up and down by 1 -2 kilos a month and I am at my lowest in 12 months that’s 72.1 kilos. I fast twice a week and I feel I am pretty good on NFD and I have little sweet stuff and only minimal alcohol. I go to the gym 3 times a week and I go kayaking on a monthly basis and I walk a fair bit, go to the beach etc.

What can I do to get rid of these last few kilos? I am open to suggestions but more than 2 fasts a week I think I would n’t make it. Thanks

PS I haven’t used a tape measure but my clothes aren’t fitting any better!

Firstly congratulations on both the weight loss and especially being able to maintain it.

I have a couple of ideas which may be worth considering:
    – Have you recalculated your TDEE? It reduces both with weight loss and also with age and if you don’t stay near an accurate TDEE on your non-fast days then it undermines what you achieve when fasting. I have found I need to pay more attention on NFD than I do on FD (my age and short stature mean my TDEE is just 1400 calories per day)
    – I find it more difficult to do 3 FD in a week than 2, however if I follow a pattern of 2NDF followed by 1FD then it adds 2 extra FDs per month, but I don’t notice them, even though some weeks it means I’ve done 3 FDs. The 2 day break between FD was the key for me. However, this does mean that you will do some FDs on weekends and I know some people try to avoid this.
    – Another option is to do 3 FD with an 800 calorie limit. Michael Moseley has been discussing this new 800cal option in the media lately. This would lower your overall calorie intake per week, but the FDs would be less onerous.

One final thing to consider – It is possible that your body has found a set point. My own body will get down to high 60s and no amount of dieting or exercise seems to get me below this. However if I’m fit and healthy at that weight, does it matter that I haven’t met some arbitrary BMI. If you feel healthy and your doctor agrees then you may want to consider allow your body to choose it’s own level and decide to be happy with that.

L Joyce, thanks for the advice. I can check my TDEE as I haven’t for a while. I like the idea of a fast every 3 days, that may work for me and yes 800 calories may be what I need.

I like to think I can reduce my weight because I don’t feel comfortable being this weight, my clothes don’t fit well and I still have a belly and my clothes size doesn’t get any smaller. I am healthy according to my doctor and she isn’t too worried but reducing weight will keep my cholesterol in check, reduce the chance of diabetes and generally make me happier.

I certainly don’t sit on my bum all day but its been really hot here and once the cooler weather comes I can certainly get more exercise.

Thanks for your help, I am going to take your advice : )

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.