My first day

This topic contains 32 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  GillianW 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

• So tomorrow I start the 5:2, Sunday may seem a strange day to start but its a working day for me. I work at a hospital, 13.5Hr shift, so have prepared breakfast, porridge 220 cals, lunch, homemade veg soup 140 cals and tea a chicken salad 140 cals, which seems quite substantial really. I have ‘played’ with the diet in the past ie done the odd day which was ok, so hopefully with some proper planning I will be successful, 1 stone to lose. wish me luck.

Proper planning will make 5:2 so much easier for you — successful weight loss begins in the brain!

All the best to you. If you check out some of the threads here you will see many success stories. Give it a chance, and you’ll be joining them. 🙂

Well that’s day one done successfully, felt a bit wobbly around 3pm but drank some water and persevered and it passed. Plan to do thur and Sunday next week

Just starting day 1 here. Boiled egg and an orange for breakfast with coffee – 243 calories (includes all skimmed milk for day).
    Salad for dinner – the rest of the calories – will make the salad for everyone and then have a quarter of it.

Sounds good, I kept thinking”its only
    one day” and it kept me gomg. Surprisingly
    I wasn’t that hungry this morning either. Good luck 🍀

Hi all I’m totally new here so will require all the help anyone can give me
    All appreciated
    Thanks
    Kel xx

Hi Kel,
    Good luck. I can offer moral support but don’t know anything! I bought the 5:2 book a few years ago but didn’t really use it. But now have retired and gained a few extra lbs while having a lovely time. I need to lose about 14lb so am hopeful that I will go with the site average and take about 3 months.
    I have just got through my first day. Will go to bed in a minute before I eat anything else. Everyone says the first few fast days are tough so have to just grit my teeth I guess.

Going to start my first fast day tomorrow! Should I split the 500 calories into 2 meals or eat them all at one meal? At what time do most of you one meal dieters eat? Thanks!

I did my first FD yesterday and split it. I had an egg and orange for breakfast and then a big salad for dinner. I was hungry towards the end of the day but at least had something to look forward to. Sort of.

I split my first day into 3 meals, I know that’s technically not right but it worked for me, at least until I get used to it

Does it matter how many meals you have as long as you don’t go over the 500 calories? I might try it on my next fast day. How did you feel?

I felt a bit wobbly around 3pm butit passed and i had salad at 5, I enjoyed it really I felt in control, going to do Thursday and Sunday this week as they are,my working days and I find it easier at work. How about you?

I felt hungry late afternoon. I think next time I would delay breakfast until really hungry to avoid such a long gap.

Hello you lovely people. Today is my first day and I have a question if anyone can help please.

1, Do you have to commit to the same fasting days each week? I note some of you are saying in advance what your fasting days are going to be. I work different shifts so have different days off each week and would find it easier to use my days off as fasting days. I just wondered if you had to stick to the same days each week.

Thanks in advance and as a newbie would appreciate any advice or tips you may have to share.
    Happy fasting!

No you don’t have to stick to set days, as Far as i know, i work shifts too so am planning to work around them, have a good first day

@mrsmadhead

No. It’s entirely up to you. You can do what you like. Some people do them together. The fundamental things are:

Try and stick to 500 kcal on your Fast Days (FDs)
    make sure your fast day lasts for 18-24 hours
    Eat up to your Total Daily Energy Expenditure figure (TDEE) on your Non-FDs. Try not to go over this.
    Stick with it long term and don’t get too obsessed with the scales (waist/height ratio is a good place to start.

If you do those four things you should lose around a lb of fat per week.

I started mid Sep 2016 and have lost 21 lbs so far. A lot of it has been the visceral fat as I still have some way to go on the outside. But everyone is different.

I plateaued at Xmas as I had 2 weeks off, but joined the Feb challenge and lost 4kg in a month with a bit of encouragement & more exercise. On with the March challenge – looking for 3kg more. Targeting July finish and move to maintenance, but to be honest I feel/look so much better, etc. I’m getting more relaxed about the final timescales. And when I start maintenance I will still do 2 FDs to keep it off, and eat what I like on NFDs.

They say food choices change over time, I’m just getting that bit. I had some chocolate when I broke my fast last week and threw half in the bin as I didn’t enjoy the taste after a meal I’d had.

Hi JohnnyR,
    Good to hear about your success. Very inspiring. How can you tell that you have lost visceral fat?

@gillianw

I have a set of scales that measure visceral fat % and skeletal muscle as well as weight and BMI. But the main way is the physical loss around my belly. I still have some fat around the outside which is changing slowly, but I’ve lost a significant (12%) of my overall circumference around that area. I’m also now concave when I lie down, before I was more blobby. So I know that on balance proportionately more must’ve gone from inside than the sub-cutaneous layer which is still fatty. It’s like I’ve shrunk overall but still a bit flabby around the bits that I’d prefer to be well toned six-packish 🙂

My wife bought me a health magazine with a Wolverine Work-out in it. Not sure quite what to make of it. Does she want a six pack or just more hairy? I guess I’ll have to go for both 🙂

Also, in answer to your earlier question @gillianw you can eat meals at any point in the day. I prefer to save almost all my cals at the end of the day to make it a long fast, and because sometimes just a nibble of something can open the eating floodgates and can ruin a lot of good effort. But others find spreading it out easier.

Hi Mrs and welcome:

This will answer most of your questions: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Any two days are fine.

Good Luck!

Hi I also fast on Sundays. Its a day off and I can switch if something important happens. I find it easier to fast on my days off.

Best of luck!

I am toying with the idea of the odd Saturday. Could be all wine…

Thanks folks for your replies. I can see your all very supportive which is great. First day went ok though I was over the 500 allowance by about 60 calories. I know it’s not perfect but it’s a start for me. Pleased about the flexibility as sometimes I’ll find it hard to stick to certain days. I quite like the idea of fasting all day and then having my meal on an evening with the hubster. Oh and Gillian W ….Wine Saturdays sound very appealing to me haha! Thanks again! Happy Fasting.

My first day is now my second day and going well, it helps to know that your not alone 😊

2nd fast day completed and managed really well. I last ate at 10pm Wednesday evening and then had my 500 cal meal at 18:30 today so managed to survive on fluids only…mainly tea and some glasses of water. My Fast Diet books arrived from Amazon so they kept me occupied, read a load of stuff on variations of fasting and sat planning my days and meals. As a constant craver I’ve always got to be involved with food somehow, so did some low cal batch cooking for my freezer…and here’s the thing I didn’t even have one taste! So pleased with myself. I’m planning a non fast day tomorrow but don’t really want to over compensate so aiming for around 1100 calls as this was what I was having on my previous diet. It is acceptable to go below your TDEE isn’t it? Thank you simcoeluv for the link to your post I found it most informative.

Well done you 😊 My second day has gone well too, resisted the temptation of a huge bag of sweets that were within my grasp for most of the day, so rather chuffed with myself, and I did 19,000 steps

Hi Mrs:

The guidance is to eat to your TDEE or less.

The less you eat, the more you lose.

Good Luck!

19000 steps! Wow well done you Brennan, I did manage my second day at 10,000 I’ve been off sick with a trapped nerve for nearly 3 weeks and just started getting a bit more mobile. I’ve really missed my walking. Ironically I injured my back on an exercise machine …silly old me…so planning on sticking to the walking from now on.

All sounds good. I just about survived my second fats day. Maybe slightly over but had very active day vounteering in our local woods. Basically, I ate all my calories at lunchtime – sensible lunch followed by the too freely available biscuits. Managed to avoid too much this evening – a couple of spoons of mash and one bite of chicken.
    That’s it for fasting till Monday now.

I was due to start Mondaybut had a few days of some family business so diet was last thing on my mind
    However I’m determined to start this diet starting tomorrow
    And Monday and Thursday will be my two fasting days
    I am unsure what to fully be able to eat on my fasting days
    I work in an office so exercising is hard work during the day time
    Any support is much appreciated
    And well done to others xx

Hi Kel2912,
    I did Monday and Thursday this week, although might change to Mon & Wed. Thursday I volunteer in a local wood and at lunchtime, they give us biscuits – too much temptation for me so I ate all my calories at lunchtime. So you can eat anything, but better if it’s filling and nutritious.
    Good luck.

Just wondered if anyone had done 2 days in a row?

Not me yet. I don’t know if I could..

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply.