migraine day after fast day

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  J-ray 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• This is my second period of 5:2, the first time I lost my target weight of 10lb, but stupidly didn’t then go onto 6:1. I suffered migraines after every fast day for the first few weeks last time, and unfortunately the same thing is happening again. Does anyone else suffer migraines after fasting? I’m really not sure I can continue with it, can anyone suggest how I can tweak the 500 calories as I’m guessing it’s low blood sugar that is causing the problem, ps I am a migraine sufferer, but never get them so often.

Are you saying that the morning after your fast when you wake up you have a migraine? I doubt that is associated with low glucose levels. The dawn effect usually kicks in at about 4-5am and your liver starts cranking out glucose in readiness for the new day. If however you believe this is not the case for you then invest in a glucose meter as used by diabetics. They really are very cheap to buy. Measure your glucose just after waking up and compare this to non fast days.

My guess however is that your potassium levels are down. Buy some potassium salt rather than sodium salt. Its usually marketed in super markets as “lite salt”. Have half a teas spoon in a glass of water before you go to bed. See if that helps with your migraines the following morning. If it does then your levels were too low. If it makes it worse then probably the levels were too high to start with. Have half a teaspoon of sodium salt with a glass of water. You may also want to try and eat a handful of pumpkin seeds. These have magnesium in them and a deficiency has also been linked to migraines.

Good luck.

I am a migraine sufferer, but fasting actually helped, because I apparently introduce my triggers which got eliminated during fasting. But I never really felt like my blood sugars got low from fasting, unless I do vigorous exercise (and use up my glycogen stores). I second big booty’s idea, and then suggest maybe a migraine supplement? Magnesium is reported to be a big one. I have taken migravent off and on (which has mag, coq-10, and a few other things) and noticed that helped my migraines. If you first determine if it is/isn’t your glucose levels, you can thenn use this to see if it is a nutritional deficiency.
    I completely understand it not being sustainable. Migraines totally suck. 🙁 sorry you are dealing with this.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.