Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid Fifties – Just starting and hoping to lose weight (yet again)?!

This topic contains 5,051 replies, has 218 voices, and was last updated by  vendor 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,701 through 3,750 (of 5,077 total)

• Hi All,

Day 10 of the 2 week detox and I haven’t veered an inch from the plan! I am now at 86 from a starting weight of 88+ Kg (which is the weight I sprang back to after my trip), so not too bad. I am not fasting these two weeks. In fact, the food is much more in quantity than I usually eat (particularly on an FD). I had two days of liquid diet at the beginning, and then again this last Monday, but otherwise, it is loads of salads, nuts, some beans, quinoa, etc. No meat, dairy, bread, alcohol, coffee or sweets (apart from some fruit twice a week). They include stuff which I normally would not eat (e.g. rice cakes a couple of times) but otherwise it is pretty easy to follow, especially as I have kept social occasions to a bare minimum during these two weeks.

I have my book club meeting tonight and I have already warned the group that I shall not be partaking of any cheese or wine (more’s the pity). I am invited to dinner on Friday, which will be a real challenge as people here get offended if you don’t eat, and going out on Saturday and Sunday as well, but these should be more manageable as I can have sparkling water with some lemon and pretend it is a G&T.

I go to see the nutritionist on Monday, so I will report the results then. Let us hope I don’t undo all the good work over the weekend. I would love to maintain the weight loss over my trip and then go back to fasting once I am back. Let’s see, eh?

Thanks Bigbooty for the explanation, which is rather interesting; oh, and Apricot too.. I thought that was clever of you 🙂
    Hello to all my good friends, Sherry, Lori, Cinque, Susie, Catz and everyone else.

Salma

Sis and I are ready to head for the Pier! Bermuda here we come!

Hugs to you all!

Hugs Lori!

Hello again, stopped by for a bit more of a chat than just cheering Lori!

What an interesting experience your detoxing will be Salma, with its different quantities and the make up of it. I hope you can be firm with that wicked Friday group! Growl at them if they hassle you too much!

Apricot! What a lovely way to choose your name. So much more petite than and apple or pear too!
    I am like you, I need to get ready for fasting the day before!

My fast day was a good one, and now I am planning a good post fast day! Had a good breakfast and delicious leftovers for lunch and my evening meal. Sensible portions and nothing in between!

Best wishes everyone on your pre, post, or fast day, or that amazing lull day which is none of the above!

This time last week I decided it was time to really do something myself or the only options were going to be an early grave or some sort of surgery. I’ve tried a few ways of doing things & had some short term success before but I needed something that was more sustainable than counting points or paying an arm & a leg for crap food.
    I purchased a couple of Michael Mosley’s books online a couple of months ago after hearing him on Brisbane radio & my wife had sort of read them, so we decided on smarter food choices, better (but realistic) portion control, and the 5:2 diet (I don’t really like the “D” word.
    Now I’m a very big boy so it’s gonna take a lot of time, but after one week (so 2 fast days) & better but realistic eating I dropped a little over 6 kilograms. I usually shed 3 or 4 kg in week one so I’m pretty stoked right now. I’m about half way through the book myself now.

Dan Nugent, I also don’t like the D word. I think of it as a way of eating…and a way of living. I have lost most of my weight but I plan to stay with fasting as a way of life.

Keep posting!

Hi everyone!
    I’m another one who doesn’t like the diet word, I usually call this 5:2 fasting.
    What a lovely start Dan!
    I am just so delighted with 5:2, it is so simple, and it definitely helps my body and brain to get into a nice normal eating rhthym, I’m happy to do it for the rest of my life.

It is the day before fast day for me, a sunny day here in Melbourne, fingers crossed I get a lot done.
    Hello to you all, around our big, dear world. I hope your day is a good one.

Hi all,

Not much to say from me other than great job Salma and Dan! Hi to Cinque, Carolina, Briar rose and anyone else reading!

Been tiring week here with adjusting my eldest to the diabetes routine…she forgot her diabetic supplies this morning and remembered them halfway to school so we had to turn around…silver lining is at least we weren’t all the way to school! 😉

I’m hoping to catch up on some much needed sleep this weekend as I’m just exhausted. Eldest wants to drag me out shopping for some shoes, etc. she needs before summer vacation which is coming up SOON!

My weight is shifting slightly downward…hanging out around 120 a bit more but still wanting to creep up. I’d love to get a couple pounds under 120 before we hit Europe in 5 weeks.

Have a good day/night depending on where you are!

Hi Sherry, I hope you get a chance to look after yourself. My daughter has been tired and woozy in her pregnancy and has just been diagnosed with iron and B12 deficiency. I was so exhausted once those results came back, I hadn’t realised how anxious I was. Knowing that, I can imagine you feeling the same, times 100! or 1000! Plus you need to deal with all the management and the reality of two children with these extra health needs. Emotionally exhausting on top of all the practical things! And ofcourse she forgot her supplies and made the whole morning harder, and ofcourse you couldn’t complain because at least it wasn’t worse. But I hope you have some quiet part of the house that you can scream loudly in!

But also feel proud because you are such a fantastic mum, and yay for getting down those last couple of pounds before your trip!

Best wishes!

Hello, sorry to be awol.

Welcome to the new folks!!!! It’s late so I won’t be more specific right now but hope to get back to you.

I had a good week–just my daughter and I at home so I did three fast days. Yippee. I think I dipped below my pre-holiday weight for the first time this year. Next short term goal is to get my bmi below 26. I weighed in at the doctor this morning and they use one of those body index scales and I was 33 percent fat…could be worse, could be better.

My daughter was supposed to get a heart monitor for the weekend. It is in the same location as the labs for a blood test so I got her out of school early to do both. Then while we were checking in at the lab, the cardiologist called and said the monitor wasn’t in so we had to reschedule out another week!! I’m so frustrated. It’s not the inconvenience–it’s the fact that we need to know why she is getting out of breath with things that used to not faze her. Blerg!! She also freaked for the blood test–I think we are part red heads, Sherry!! Actually, I do require a lot more novacaine, which is a redhead dna thing and we do have Celtic dna. That will be her excuse anyway!

Hi Carolina,
    How frustrating to have those medical hold ups. I hope they get it all done soon, and that the outcome is a non worry, and she doesn’t need any more blood tests! Fingers crossed!

Cheers re your weight dip!

I have had a good day, although I didn’t get much done. Minded my gd as my daughter is struggling a bit with low iron and B12. They are sorting it out for her. Gd was gorgeous ofcourse.

Made my dashi stock, have mushrooms soaking, so I am set for fast day tomorrow!

Hi Cinque,

Yes, I need a sound-proof room that is padded so I can bounce off the walls in peace! Scary for you and your daughter not to know what was wrong but at least she knows now and can get on some supplements to start feeling better.

Today is dreary and cool here…they call it “May Grey” in these parts. It migrates into “June Gloom” next month! It’s an overcast cloudy condition that usually burns off by late morning but today, no such luck. In fact they’ve even forecast a touch of drizzle tomorrow.

Carolina, so sorry for the continued frustration with dealing with the medical establishment! Praying for you that they get her that heart monitor sooner rather than later!

Ok, so I got that under eye filler two days ago. I’m still very puffy with some bruising. The doctor seemed a tad concerned so he had me come in for some under eye laser treatment that was supposed to break it all up and make me look a lot better. As of this morning, not so much!!! I’m starting to freak out a bit and wonder what the heck I did to myself in the name of vanity! Internet says swelling can last 3 days with this procedure, but one would expect a gradual reduction in the swelling daily and that is not really happening. If not better by Monday, I’ll be on the phone to the doc. I’m sure I’m one of those lucky small percentile who have a not-so-favorable reaction. Yay! 🙁

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer but it is just “one of those days”.

Oh no Sherry, that is the last thing you need. I do hope your poor eyes settle down quickly. And look absolutely gorgeous when they do!

It is Sunday fast day here. Hooray for my cuppas!

Hello all you mid fifties! How are you going?

Oh Sherry, I am so sorry about the eyes! It must be both worrying and disappointing. I hope the doctor can set your mind at ease and you will end up with the results you wanted. And Carolina! It must be dissapointment-with-the-medical-services-week. I hope it all gets sorted.

I had a major board meeting yesterday that I had been preparing for this week. In fact, I had spent the Thursday and Friday nights working on the finer points of my presentation which was yesterday. It went well, I am glad to report, but I crashed last night and only woke up at 11:00 a.m. this morning! This meant that I could combine my lunch and breakfast rations from my delivered food, so I have had a substantial brunch and feel full, well-rested and happy! They even sent me some kind of oat cookie (probably tasteless) for a snack. What a luxury after 2 weeks of sparse eating. I weighed myself this morning and was really happy to see 84.9 Kg!! Down from over 88 two weeks ago. I am thrilled. The trick now is to not gain any of it back during my trip (I leave Tuesday). I have an appointment with the nutritionist tomorrow, so will get to learn the real truth (fat vs. water. vs. muscle). She has set me a target of losing 7 Kgs of FAT eventually, so I don’t know how far towards this target I have achieved. I will report tomorrow.

Cinque, I know you asked me, this detox has been a breeze. There was a lot of food, much more than I normally would eat, but the quality was different. I had absolutely no alcohol, coffee, dairy, meat (only poached fish once a week), sugar or bread. Just loads and loads of different types of vegetables cooked in different ways, quinoa, oats, beans, etc. If I were doing it on my own, I am sure I would have cheated, but because of the quantity and variety, it was easy. However, it did put restrictions on social events and I have had to be ultra vigilant during my book club meeting and dinner invitation. I don’t think I could eat like this continuously, but I am glad of the results so far. I think the fasting method is a much more sustainable way of maintenance, and I have an idea to maybe do this every couple of months just to help things along, then use the 5:2 to teach my body to maintain. In any case, I believe that switching and changing when things start to stall (as they most certainly had for me) jolts the body somehow and gets things going again. It has worked for me this time. Let’s see what happens, eh?

Have a great Sunday girls (and Dan).

It is a lovely sunny Monday morning… with the roar of the leaf blower outside as the ‘gardeners’ tidy up around the flats. They’ll be gone soon.

Sherry, I do hope your eyes are a lot better by now!

Salma, congratulations on your presentation, and your wonderful sleep afterwards!
    How excellent that the detox plan has worked so well for you. What a great idea to do it every now and then when it fits well into your life. Yay for veggies ay!

I’ve just had my ‘post fast day’ breakfast, what a treat that is!

Now off to get lots done! Fingers crossed!

Best wishes to you all! I hope you have had a good day, and have a good day!

Hi all
    Back from Florence, had a lovely time. Nearly didn’t get there at all, my friend mislaid her passport which eventually was found in an airport three hours drive from her house and one hour drive to train for three hour train trip to me- at one point we thought we would have to move the whole trip so she could get a new passport but in the end she arrived about 930pm and we got a fairly early night for a 530 rise to get to airport!
    Weather was surprisingly poor, as it has been in Spain recently, even had thunder on the last day, but it didn’t stop us getting out and about with stops at cafes etc to shelter.
    Did some culture, one gallery and three churches, walked a lot, over Ponte Vecchio, the gold bridge, due to all the jewellery shops on it, took a bus out of town to a shopping mall and ate well. I was told I had to try the fiorentine steak so I did, like a thick t bone cut, huge and served medium rare, they don’t ask you how you like it, they just bring it how they think. Also had pasta, pizza and Chianti wine and one gelato cone.
    Salma, glad the detox still going well, good idea to kick start things, great loss you have had. Very envious of your trip to Boston.
    Sherry, not long till you go now! Great that you will be able to get the stuff daughter needs pre trip and of course as you have so much experience, it won’t be a worry for you. Smiled at the red head thing, Mother used to offer to test my blood sugar on her meter and I was bad enough with the little finger stab! Guess you do what you have to but maybe that is why I am wussy about things, does it count that some of my ‘red’ is now high lights??
    Cinque, hope daughter feels better soon, guess we never stop worrying about them.
    Plan FD today, no bf, homemade chunky veg soup for dinner, not sure what in between- find I am often ‘munchy’ around mid afternoon so need to work that out.
    CC, how is your son doing, I didn’t notice him mentioned in your last post? Isn’t he home now?
    Susie

Hi ladies,

Sorry to not be around much but I’m getting very overwhelmed with the end-of-the school year stuff…parties, field trips, teacher farewell get togethers, meetings for the upcoming school Europe trip…all good but too much of a good thing, ya know?

Happy to report my eyes are getting a bit better but still puffy. Doc assured me that up to a week is normal for puffiness despite internet saying it’s more like 3 days! There is a definite smoothing of the hollowed out area and bags underneath.

Salma, great end of the detox kilos lost tally! Have they given you a plan to ease back into eating so as to best maintain the loss? How was your follow up appointment with the clinic? I think your idea of mixing it up with a detox every few months or so is a good one. That’s kind of what I do now. I’m doing another 4 day detox cleanse right now (did one a few weeks ago too) just to keep nudging things in the right direction. Especially now being close to goal, I have to pull out everything in the arsenal to trick my body into giving up those last pounds! 😉

Cinque, is your daughter doing much better now that she has her needed supplements on board? I hope so! How far along is she now in the pregnancy?

Hi Susie! Welcome home! Yes, I’m getting so excited to go to Italy (and Paris & Spain). Gelato here I come!!! So lucky for you European girls that all those wonderful countries are just a hop and a skip away unlike for us Americans (especially those of us on the left coast!). I bought my daughter an early sweet 16 birthday gift of a gold charm bracelet and plan to let her get a charm in each place we visit as a rememberance of her trip. I have a charm bracelet I’ve done the same with and it’s one of my most cherished possessions. Oh, and yes, I’m sure the red highlights “count”! 😉

Btw girls, just wanted to say how much I appreciate this thread, I tried posting on an “Americans” thread and there’s just so much chatter from so many and not as much loving feedback as you get here!

Off to pick up kids!

Hello it is Thursday morning here (fast day!). How the week has flown.

Lovely to hear about Florence Susie, what a lot of adventures! Such a pity to start with a huge passport based stress out, but I hope the two of you could laugh about all the shenanigans.

Mid afternoon is also my ‘munchy’ time on fast days. I will be out and about this afternoon, but usually I just keep reminding myself I can eat tomorrow, and counting down the hours until I have my chicken miso soup in the evening. I watch the hunger pangs come and go, like waves on the shore!

Sherry, what a relief about your eyes! And it sounds like the treatment is working as you hoped.

It is interesting which threads work for people and which ones don’t. It is nice when there is enough people to have a lot of ideas and information coming through, but too many and I feel like I am trying to be in a skipping game where the rope is turning too fast, and too few people and it is a bit hard work. The rope turning too slow!

I participate in 4 threads, but one seems to have run down to nothing 🙁 . One of them is for people in my part of the world, and that is such a nice thing to have, so I hope the ‘Americans’ thread develops into a good one.

My daughter is half way through her pregnancy and I think she is getting more energy, she hasn’t been so woozy. I took Josie on Wednesday night so that she could get a better sleep, but that involved Josie being wide awake between 3:45 and 5am, and I am still recovering!

Instead of having a nap yesterday, I went op shopping (got a lovely pair of linen trousers). Then I was awake between 4am and 5:30 this morning, which also woke the cat so she was miaowing to go outside, I was too tired to do anything but feel irritated! What a lovely start to fast day!

I’ll have a nap this morning, take my daughter shopping this afternoon, and at least get a good fast day under my belt!

Best wishes everyone!

Hello from DC..
    Nice to hear all your news.. Cinque, it must be exhausting to look after a child, but oh what a relief for your daughter. I still remember the painful sleepless nights and exhausted days. She appreciates it so much, I am sure.
    Sherry.. I am excited for you on your trip. Enjoy to the max! .. Just the thing to show off your young looking eyes. What a relief, eh?

Susie.. Florence! I am so jealous.. but what a worry you must have gone through; still, the memory of that wonderful time will put all the trouble in a small box and throw the key away.

As for me,the nutritionist (who is a bit of a commando, actually) suggested I just try to not gain on this trip, which I think is wise advice. After a low calorie detox diet, the body is likely to absorb any calories within a 100 metres’ distance. She suggested that I have only one portion of dairy a day and to keep that for the morning. She also told me to avoid meat and chicken for a few days (at least 3-4) and to ease into eating these meats afterwards keeping a sharp eye on portions.

Well, on the flight, it was difficult to stick to the recommendations, but I did not do too badly. This morning I had some yoghurt with berries, a salad for lunch and another salad with a bit of salmon for dinner (I got this from “SweetGreen” for those who know it.. excellent salads), for a likely total of around 1200 cals I would guess. I am still keeping off coffee sand having sugarless tea (yuck) but I am persevering. It was so nice to see a lower number on the scales that I do not want to see my weight creep up again, so although it is my son’s graduation and celebrations are in order, I have to keep an eye on things. To that effect, I went out and bought some cheap scales to keep an eye on the weight. I just don’t trust myself to “play it by ear”.

Wish me luck.. I have to go back to see the nutritionist when I get back in 10 days, so I better stick to the same weight.

Salma

Hi, guys! Sorry to be rather inactive lately. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed….actually a LOT overwhelmed with my husband gone, my son home for his visit, my daughter’s mysterious breathing/health concern and all the end of year stuff….BUT, my son does seem to be doing better. He met with a counselor yesterday and will again next week. This guy does skype sessions, too, so I’m hoping he will be a resource once school is back in session.

Good news is that I finally saw BELOW 168 on the scale. Yay–I am finally making progress again. Bad news is that it’s partly due to being very worried about my daughter…..

Salma, good luck on your trip! I can’t believe you’re doing another transatlantic this soon. I’m not such a trooper when it comes to travel.

Sherry, is your trip to Europe with a group?

Cinque, good luck with your FD!

Susie, so glad you had a nice trip. My husband is in Croatia and the pictures are amazing.

Well, I’m going to try to call the cardiology office to make sure all is in order for tomorrow!!

CBL, Elizabeth

A quick pop in to say hi! I’m still thinking of getting out for a very late walk (8pm!).

Cinque, so happy your daughter is doing better and I’d say clothes shopping trumps naps any day! 😉

Salma, best of luck with the plan while you’re traveling. Sounds like you did pretty good considering! Congrats again on your son graduating! I hope you two have a wonderful celebration! Is your other son coming in for the graduation too?

Carolina (what is the CBL and are you really Elizabeth then?), I understand, as I said the being overwhelmed! So sorry for what you’re dealing with now and so hoping the cardiologist figures it out quickly. Please keep us updated! I’m so glad your son is doing better. It never ends with kids, huh? I in fact just got off the phone with a friend who’s 12 year old daughter was just admitted to Children’s Hospital with an anorexia issue. Apparently she’s a control freak and this is one of many things she feels the need to control to the extreme! YAY on the weight loss…good for you! 🙂 My trip to Europe is with two different tours, EF Tours for the educational based school tour to Paris and Spain and then we’re hopping on a Trafalgar Italy tour. I just didn’t want to hassle with the luggage, transportation, etc. and am especially glad not to have to do so with having to worry about my daughter’s diabetic needs now too.

Ok, off to hit the streets in the dark! Hmmm, that didn’t sound quite right! 😉

Love to you all!

Thanks, Sherry….CBL is short for Check Back Later, haha.

There is some sort of Educational Travel organization just down the road from us. I’ve always wondered about it. My husband is on a trip with the Sierra Club in Croatia and it’s good but those trips tend to have the same kind of people. He usually likes to wing it on his own and has no problem stopping in the middle of a crowded sidewalk pulling out google maps, announcing to the world that we’re lost and doing a host of other things that aren’t entirely advisable. He’s been really lucky so far.

Knock on wood, we’ll get some sort of monitor today and start to get some answers. Fingers crossed!

Meanwhile I didn’t do as well yesterday in terms of eating. I reverted to the nervous eating pattern. And I’m thinking we’ll try to go out to eat either tonight or tomorrow and we’re going to my inlaws Sunday……lots to navigate!

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth, CBL is a great shortcut, I didn’t know it either, but I will use it now! (unless I forget it straight away. Which is, sadly, very possible).

I feel for you with all the stress at the moment and a day of nervous eating. Very understandable. I hope you can restrict to just one day so that you don’t have to deal with the results later. Good luck!

It sounds like your husband has a wonderful time on his trips.
    So here you are stuck at home with difficulties. I hope you can run off somewhere on a fun adventure soon!
    In the meantime, good luck getting those issues sorted for you daughter. Fingers crossed that if the monitor shows something it is something easily fixed! And best wishes to your son too.

Woot for getting under 168!

I have had a tired few days (I had to pay for that clothes shopping!) But then I had a good sleep and a day with my dear sisters, which was wonderful.

Salma we must be in that gang of ‘mums with wakeful babies’. Mine settled down to be an excellent sleeper when she was a bit older, but I haven’t forgotten, and I am so glad I can help my daughter. She does appreciate it.

Your post made me hungry for yoghurt and berries, such a delicious combination.
    Cheers for your son’s graduation, I hope you all have a wonderful time!
    And that you can keep that low weight figure! All power to you!

Sherry I hope you had a wonderful evening walk! Was it a beautiful warm evening?

It is a cold morning this side of the world, but that makes a snuggly dressing gown and a hot cup of coffee (sorry Salma), particularly wonderful.

Fast day tomorrow, I am looking forward to it. Until then, good food and no snacks! (Yesterday I snacked on peanuts, Very yummy, but not again today!)

Cheers to you all! CBL!

Hola Ladies (practicing my Espanol for Espana!).

Today was beauty day. My every so often 4 hours at the hairdresser…she calls it “the works”, which means instead of just some touch ups or a cut, I get the base color to cover the greys, highlights and a trim. It takes a long time with my thick hair!

I was extremely happy to see that my weight hit an all time low- at least in my last 4 or so years of recorded weight history! Am I weird for marking down my weight/date every time I weigh in? Maybe so, but it keeps me on track with what is and isn’t working and to be patient when I see a crazy unwarranted gain and notice the same thing happened in the past and it was gone the next day. Yes, Cinque, you have saved yourself from this craziness by not weighing in daily! I, unfortunately don’t have the strength to do that! So the wonderful new number is 118.4-118.6, so let’s just say 118.5 (Btw, started out at 121.6). That was after 3 days on the detox cleanse. I’m on the last day today, day 4, so hoping that a little more falls off tomorrow! ;). In the past I was doing a full week, but have found I get similar results just doing it for 4, as the weight loss evens out towards the last few days. Would be super awesome to get to 115 before Europe so I have some room to play and eat my beloved gelato daily while in Italy!

So Cinque, my late walk was FREEZING! Unusual for late May here, but as I mentioned, we do get what’s called “May Grey” in these parts. It was a tad creepy walking by myself in the dark, moonless night (or if there was a moon, I didn’t see it with the heavy cloud cover), but I felt compelled to get my exercise in so as to see the best number possible on the scale. I really think it helps to walk after dinner to digest and keep those dinner calories from settling in! So sorry the shopping wore you out, but glad you had a great time with your sisters. I feel badly that it seems you have to pay the piper every time you exert yourself more than usual…is that in fact the case?

Elizabeth, the EF Tours, according to my brochure, is out of Cambridge, Mass. I was under the impression somehow that your husband was traveling for business….does he do these Sierra Club trips often? And, like Cinque said, do you also get “your time” to get away and do what you enjoy too? I understand crazy, nervous eating. It’s what I usually revert to when stressed. Try if you can to find a replacement because as we know, the resulting increase in weight just makes you more crazy and depressed and you don’t need that right now with all that is going on with your kids! I know- I’ve been there with mine.

Salma, hope you’re having a wonderful time!

Hey Susie, any hints on limiting my eating damage while in Italy? 😉

Good night all!

Hiya ladies,

So, I arrived in Cambridge (Massachusetts) and was very hungry as I had not eaten anything since breakfast (I avoided the airline ‘snacks’. My son took me to this hppie-like vegetarian food place with all kinds of salad, so I ended up having a very healthy eating day. I am being a bit fanatical about keeping my calories within an acceptable range and weighing myself every day. I had even ordered travel scales from Amazon that arrived at my son’s place to be able to keep weighing myself when I travel. The only problem is, it weighs around 2 Kgs itself. How are these ‘travel’ scales? I am so annoyed. Anyway, I had decided to weigh every day – keeping in mind the inevitable fluctuations – as this does keep my eye on the food and activity. I even started walking for short distances as my hip inflammation had gotten better, but I want to make sure I don’r aggravate it again, so it is 15-20 minute stretches and not too vigorously. So far (3 days), I have been able to maintain the weight, which is my goal for this trip.. just to NOT gain.

Sherry.. BIG congrats on your achievement.. that is so impressive! Italy .. here you come! Enjoy the gelato and the pizza, but be mindful so all your good work does not go to waste. Also, to answer your question, yes my other son is also coming to the graduation as is their father.. it will be on the 26th and I will fly back the day after. How are the eyes today? I hate those long hairdresser sessions (FOUR hours?? I would die!). I usually have to do 2 hours and the hairdresser I have been going to for years laughs as he knows how I squirm. Normally, I do a pedicure &/or manicure while the hair colour is on to save on time! Still, I hope that the results are worth the wait.. what with beautiful younger eyes and a snazzy haircut!

By the way, ladies, I want to recommend a good book/blog.. http://bit.ly/240L8j9
    I just finished reading it, and there are some things in it that are worth noting; mainly ‘mindful eating’. The writer, Darya Rose, is a neuroscientist, and also has a blog on her SummerTomato.com

Cinque.. you know, I don’t get many berries back home, so it is such a treat when here. I try to have some every day; they are so yummy. We have a type of mulberry for a very brief season of around 2 weeks only. They are sweet and delicious (both the white and the dark red), but, alas, we only get them very briefly and I was doing the pre-ordained detox when we had them in season back home.. so I am making up for it now. Cinque, I am sure your daughter is very grateful for your help, but you also must pace yourself and take care of yourself also in order to be helpful to her.

CC/Elizabeth.. I know exactly how it feels when you are stressed or down and you reach for the ice cream or cookies (often both) or chocolate. I have been there MANY times, and have no doubt I will visit that place again. It is frustrating, but just chalk it up to hormones, and start again tomorrow. The danger with this mood is that you can feel really tempted to chuck everything in and forget about it. Whatever you have already eaten.. it is done.. but if the trend continues, it will be problematic. I should know as I am now working my way back from a recent episode during my last trip when I threw all caution to the wind. You are strong.. and we are all here for you.

Well girls.. aren’t you all glad we are in this together.. we are all rooting for each other and we understnad because we have all been there (and some of us are still there) but moving slowly forward.

My friends.. I think if it weren’t for all of you, I might have given up a long while back. So, THANK YOU, one and all.

Salma

Hello,

Just popping in after Cinque’s kind invite on my first post on the forum.

I am nearly 59 years old, weigh appx 13st6 (not weighed recently, hoping for a nice surprise in a few days), new to 5:2 and rather terrified that I will die of hunger by eating only 500 calories in a day. But all I read on this forum, as well as a good friend’s 3 stone weight loss, really inspire me to try.

I wanted today to be my first fast day, but then remembered that I am invited to a wedding celebration party, not the wedding itself just the party. It is a local thing in our church hall and I know that the kind parishioners will have catered well. I am still going to give it a go, hoping to be able to resist the attraction of food and booze. If they have salads (undressed) and stuff like salmon, I will have some food. Booze is not a problem as the party is in the afternoon and I don’t like drinking in the daytime, and don’t drink much anyway.

I am divided between wanting to test myself (after all, there are temptations around every day, might as well get used to it) and forgetting about starting today, to avoid failure.

Update tonight!

Hi Caterinacate and welcome. As you are starting this journey, perhaps starting today would not be a great idea. It is best to start on a ‘clear’ day where you have no social obligations. I assure you will survive just fine on 500 calories a day (but only for 2 or so days a week), evidenced by all of us jolly ladies here! Good luck!

Hooray, you got here Cate!
    What an interesting first fast day you are having!
    I hope they have some fast friendly food at the wedding feast, it will be interesting to hear how you go.
    Ofcourse, you can start a good conversation telling everyone about your new plan!

I was very nervous my first day too, but at the end of it I was amazed and felt wonderful. I knew right then that 5:2 suited me.

Salma, what a lovely son you have! Enjoy those berries! So sad you missed your local mulberry season! You’ll have to time the detox fortnight better next time!

Sherry I hope you get a walk in the sun today! Congratulations on your slim self. Won’t you have fun in Europe! Hola Espana!

I’ve had a really good eating day. By that I mean I made delicious, healthy meals, enjoyed every bite of them, and didn’t snack. Fast day tomorrow!

It is dark and cold now. I’m very glad NOT to be going for an evening walk!
    Best wishes all!

Hello!

Back from the high seas! We had a lot of fun, but the weather was not great. Wind and rain! Our Bermuda beach day was a bust, which was disappointing. We did manage to get a little sunburn, so it wasn’t all gloom.

I’ll face the scale on Monday morning… It will not be pretty. The food was awesome and boy did we eat! Totally worth it.

More later. Hope everyone is doing well.

Hi everyone!

Salma, so impressed and excited for you that you’ve been able to maintain the weight loss thus far! Truly exceptional, especially since you’re out of your element and traveling! I’m very proud of you! Keep it up because I know those lost pounds were hard won! I’m happy you get to reunite with the whole family while there! What a nice time! So my eyes are continuing to be slightly better daily but still puffy. Probably at this point mostly noticeable to me. Taking it day by day! And my hair- love it! Had her go with cooler tones, more brown and lighter, almost platinum highlights instead of the brassy gold and blonde she did prior. So they don’t import berries where you live? Can you buy them frozen at least for smoothies, etc.?

Welcome Caterina! I don’t recall seeing you post here before, but glad you decided to join us! I agree with Salma, perhaps today may not be the best day to officially start, but be mindful of your eating maybe. By the time I’ve typed this, you being so far away probably already attended the party!

Cinque, have a lovely fast day after your yummy day of good food! I will be walking now in the sunshine but it is still COLD out. I have a graduation party for my nephew later today so that will be fun!

Welcome home Lori! So glad you had a great time despite the poor weather. I’m sure whatever weight you gained will fall off in short order like the last time you travelled! Did you end up posting any vacation pics on FB yet?

So I have awesome news! Yet another low on the scale for me this morning! 117.6!!! Now that’s a number I probably haven’t seen for about 20 years! Can you believe it? I find the my routine of doing 4 day cleanse fasts once or twice a month is really working for me, thank God! Hoping I can squeeze at least a day or two of the cleanse in while in Hawaii (not too difficult since we have the place there and I can control what I feed myself to a degree). The only difficult part is that we’re having two sets of friends come in back to back (not staying with us but staying nearby in hotels) over that two weeks and we will be entertaining them. showing them around, and I’m sure eating out!
    I’ll have to try to work in lots of hikes to waterfalls, etc.! 🙂

Ok, off to do that walk! Adios!

Hi Lori,
    Welcome back! I am glad you had lots of fun in spite of the weather!

Sherry, more congratulations!

It is Sunday morning here, just waking up. Lovely morning light, and a hot cuppa! I’ve got everything for my chicken miso soup this evening.

I saw Cate’s introduction post on the site, and since she is in her fifties (and sounded lovely! 😉 ) I suggested she join in here.

Cheers to you all for a lovely day, whether it be one of the 5, or one of the 2!

Hello, all –

54 here (as of only a month – still feel 53 😉 and hoping that the 5:2 is something I can do always and not think of as the d-word, since I’m fabulous at researching those and not so much at following through. Weight has been up and down since my late 30s…and ready not so much to be skinny, but less well, wobbly in the bum in particular — and HEALTHY. Strong. More energetic. I am a tall, strong woman, but I am carrying more in my hips, bum, and tummy than needed, that’s for sure.

Would love to join in on this lovely group and get inspired/inspire others. Curious who among you manages to keep eating a bit of bread/rice/pasta when not doing the fast days? I can’t imagine cutting it out completely…thoughts?

Thank you!

Hi Lesswobbly bits! Love the name! 😉 I do tend to eat carbs sparingly, ie: a serving of fruit each day and then a low glycemic carb usually once a day like a 1/2 cup of brown rice, quinoa, quinoa & brown rice pasta, etc. I’m pretty close to goal so I expect I’ll be a bit more liberal with adding the carbs in the near future. Welcome and we hope to be of help to you on your journey! 🙂

Sherry

I would place bread, pasta etc into the sometimes only category. Its a treat not a staple to be had all the time. 40 years of misinformation about the food pyramid!! Governments and health officials have a lot to answer for.

Im of Italian heritage and I recently asked my mum what she ate when she was a little girl. I was thinking the answer would be pasta, pizza, rice etc. To my surprise she said that these were sometimes foods, maybe once per week or even less. Pasta and pizza were considered treats much like chocolates or cakes!! Her everyday foods were vegetables (and seasonal fruit) with fish maybe twice per week and meat maybe once per week. Funny how our perception of what is now healthy has changed. And looking at the obesity levels Id say we’ve got it wrong.

Hi Lesswobblybits!
    Welcome here!

I eat bread, rice, pasta!
    But I need to qualify that by saying it is my own homemade bread, the bought white stuff is like eating sugar for me.
    And I try to make my own pasta, which may not be healthier, but does mean I eat it less because it is more work! 😉 They call couscous the smallest pasta in the world, and it is my ‘go to’ quick grain accompaniment, so tick that one.
    I love basmati rice, sushi rice, sticky rice, risotto rice but I also have brown rice and millet and buckwheat. Wow that is a lot of grains. It would take me a while to go through a batch of each one!
    I also eat potatoes! And porridge!
    Pastry is tricky for me.

On the other hand, I eat very low sugar, usually not even fruit.

Fingers crossed you find you can just eat normally on non fast days, and those wobbly bit will fade away thanks to the fast days!

Good Morning!

Where is everyone??

I came crashing back to reality when I got home yesterday. The unpacking and laundry!! OY!! The husband had a basket full of laundry waiting for me and then I had all my cruise wear. I got it all done and put away by late yesterday afternoon.

Faced the scale this morning…only up 3 lbs. That is pretty amazing when you consider what and how much I ate for 10 days!! Totally worth it! I’m hoping to have that 3 lbs gone by the end of the month.

Gotta fly…..off to my first boot camp in 2 weeks. I may die. 😉

The office will be crazy this week trying to catch up, but I’ll pop in when I can.

Hugs to all!

Hello everyone,

Confession day! I vacuumed up just about every sweet in sight at a teacher’s going away party yesterday! UGH! I’m usually pretty in-control, but when I have too many events/stressors in a short amount of time, my resolve wears thin. I’ve been stressing about getting ready for basically two trips coming up back to back and what to bring. I haven’t done a trans-Atlantic trip in almost 20 years so worried about how to keep comfortable (my back) and get sleep on the flight (Salma, any suggestions since you’ve recently traveled back and forth?). I had a graduation party for my nephew Saturday night at a restaurant and was very good though I really wanted the desserts. So, by last night when I helped prepared for and attend a very sad good-bye party (she was let go for very questionable reasons) for a beloved teacher, I broke! One of the parents is basically a professional baker and brought every type of yummy sweet imaginable. I kept eyeing them, telling myself I’d be good, but by the end of the night, not so much! 🙁 So, at least we have a plan, we fasters, right? Back on the horse today. Already drank my healing turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and lemon tea and have some bone broth cooking on the stove.

I have a end-of-the-year kid pool party today and tomorrow to help out with and then there’s finishing packing which you all know by now I’m such a procrastinator about.

Bigbooty, I’m also Italian (half, mostly Sicilian) and my grandmother also didn’t eat a lot of that stuff. Mostly lots of legumes, veggies, eggs and occasional pasta and meat. Sweets were rare, usually they ate fruit and pignolata/struffoli was the big sweet they made at Christmas time (I miss grandma making that!).

Lori, glad that the damage was minimal and that you enjoyed the eating! Hope the office catch up won’t be too horrible!

Ok, off to start my crazy day: pilates, chiropractor, store, kid pool party, etc.!

Sherry

Lori.. I am so happy for you for having 1- enjoyed your cruise (despite the less than ideal weather) 2- not having gained too much. Now, it is another 2 weeks or less and you will be back to your weight before the trip.

Sherry.. I KNOW what that feels like! Glad that you are back on the horse, and back to the straight and narrow. Transatlantic flight is never easy. I usually take a window seat and ask for an extra pillow so I can close my eyes for a bit. This is easier on the neck/back than trying to sleep upright. I try to get an exit seat as I am relatively tall and being ‘squashed’ by the seat in front is a major source of irritation. I also bring one of those eye thingys that make everything black and most importantly, I have noise cancelling head phones through which I play soothing classical music. This prevents unnecessary conversations &/or screaming children and allows me to try to get some shut-eye (they really are magic and worth every penny). I hope this helps, but I have to say that getting upgraded is the best thing if you can manage it :).. a transatlantic flight is never fun!!

Hi Everyone!

Lori, Hooray for washing machines! I hope you had a great boot camp, and whipped everything into shape on your first day back at work!

Sherry if you were going to do some stressed out eating, how lucky to have those beautiful sweets!
    Hooray for new days, I hope it has continued being a good day.

Hi Salma, somehow I imagined you were not tall at all! Rejigging now!

For those of you complaining about transatlantic flights, be glad you don’t live in Southern Australia!
    That said, I hope headphones and extra pillows work Sherry!

It is a new day here and the pretty morning light is shining in. The beautiful big pink lillies my sister brought me are smelling sweetly, and I have a lovely guest, one of my oldest friends. We had dinner at my daughters house testing out her new big table (excellent). We had pita, garlic chicken, felafel, tomato, cucumber and parsley salad, and hummus. Everything was home made except the felafel which was close, because someone makes the mixture and then we buy it frozen from the lovely Lebanese shop up the road. Just thaw, shape and fry. SO delicious. Granddaughter Josie thought the hummus was the best!

And it was the day after Fast Day, so I think I enjoyed it even more because of that!

I slept quite well. Still scarily busy but I had a great talk yesterday with the wonderful woman who can chef for the next YamDaisy venture. It will be a simple soup lunch and takeaway.

My list of things to do is growing longer, but at least I am ticking things off!

Best wishes now!

Hello all,

Well unsurprisingly last Saturday was NOT a fast day hehehe, but a great day of celebration.

However, I have just done my first proper fast day, and survived! I have put the details of food under The Me Project in the weight loss section of the forum. Kept it simple and varied and it worked.

Bigbooty and Sherryann, I am Italian too, and totally agree that although pasta is eaten at Italian meals it is not every day and it is a starter, not a main meal, so never a huge bowl. Pizza is only for outings, not many people make pizza at home!

I have decided that I am not going to obsess about vegetable calories, I mean stuff like celery, cucumber etc, green leaves, but will be more careful in counting protein and carb foods, as well as star hire veg like carrots, beetroots and the like. I cannot be obsessed if I go over half a dozen calories because of a celery stick!

Next day Friday, see how it goes, as I have a morning bootcamp, might be able to do it with only a bit of soya yogurt in my tummy, I hope, or a small boiled egg (50 cals).

Good night.

Good morning,
    Hi Cate, congratulations on your first fast day! Another boot camper!

Good idea about just embracing greens! The more the merrier!

Another cold morning here (complaining, but really, with all the concrete in the city we are the warmest part around here!). Still a bit of a shock to the system. Glad of my snuggly dressing gown and a hot cuppa.

I’m fasting tomorrow and need to make my dashi stock, buy more chicken and soak some dried mushrooms. That is for my staple on fast days Cate, chicken miso soup (with lots of added greens 😉 ).

Best wishes everyone for an especially good day.

Hi girls..

Beginning to slip up with all the dinners and celebrations… urrggghhhhh. Two nights running now, my resolutions went out of the window. Wine, dessert.. I have two more days of this before I return Friday. I know you might think a couple of days is okay, but I know that I will put on a couple of kilos that I had worked so hard to lose. Sigh.. Life, again, getting in the way.

I hope everyone is happy and well.
    Salma

Hi Cinque,

Wow that is a lot of grains, rice and potatoes that you eat. I have to ask, how is 5:2 working for you? As much as Id like to eat those staples like you I just know it wouldn’t work. They are very rare sometimes only foods. Are your portion sizes small? Or are they sometimes foods? You need to let me know your secret, how can you eat those staples and still be heading downward weight wise?

Hi everyone,

Salma you are in a tricky situation. I do understand how nasty and hard it will be to work off those extra kilos with 5:2, and detox and all the rest of the restrictions. But if you can’t avoid them, there is no point hating yourself over them.
    I’ve got my fingers crossed you can just say ‘No’ ‘No’ ‘No’ ‘No’ and hold a big glass of water with both hands, and talk to people instead of taking in calories!

lol Big booty, I couldn’t believe it when I wrote out that list either! 5:2 is working really well for me! I don’t have any of those foods on fast days (at the moment) and on other days I probably average two serves a day, so at 1/2 a cup a serve, that means a cupful a day, 5 days a week.
    Mind you I don’t have any sugar (incl biscuits, cakes, desserts, and fruit, apart from an occasional small serve of berries, and of course no honey or anything like that). I think I come from a lineage of people for whom grains were the staple, so maybe my genes are set up for them!

Best wishes everyone!

Hi all,

Another quick hello! It’s the end of a crazy day during a crazier week. The last week of school is always nuts around here. The house where the 3rd graders’ end of the year pool party was held was AMAZING! OMG where do some of these people get their money? Well, I found out: Dad is a CFO for a giant co. that makes titanium replacement discs for back surgery. It was a giant meandering Tuscan villa set in the hillsides of exclusive Rancho Santa Fe. After making numerous excuses to use the house guest bathroom to peek in the house 😉 because of the long line at the pool bathroom (kids), the hostess finally paraded a bunch of us moms (mouths agape) through a tour of the house! Just lovely! Great thing is, they’re the sweetest Christian people you’d ever meet. Very gracious. So, I was good though. Avoided the junk food laden table and ate my chicken and left over asparagus. Well, Hawaii is just a few days away so I had to be on my best behavior, especially after the sweet vacuuming incident of a few days prior!

Salma, hold strong! Don’t be done in! You’ve worked so hard!

Cinque, I agree with Bigbooty, I wish I could eat more carbs, but I guess my eating about a 1/2 cup on NFD’s and a fruit account for basically what you eat in a day? Some us are just more glucose intolerant than others…just the way it goes I guess!

Hi to everyone else!

Hoping I can pop in again before we leave, but no promises! There’s the slight chance if things get really crazy busy that you may not hear back from me till we get back from Europe mid July but I do expect I’ll be able to sneak in a communication here and there before then!

Love you guys!

Sherry

Hello all,

Cinque thanks for congratulations. Yes I am another boitcamper, but I take it easy, not being able to do high impact exercise because of achy joints. But it is good to workout outdoors, it makes me feel really alive.

I am also another sugar and starchy carb avoider, not that it stopped me from eating a fantastic pizza the other day at an Italian-run event (wood fired oven, taste of home, Italian pizza made by Italians for Italians, none of this thick dough, cheese-laden horrors that they sell in the UK). But it was really a one-off for me, as grains tend to make me feel bloated and more hungry, so I eat more of them and enter a vicious circle.

I can eat the usual healthy ones, without wishing to sound like Gwynneth Paltrow 🙂 but millet, quinoa and buckwheat don’t bother me so much. Still, I prefer to take my carbs in vegetable form.

I am feeling so much better this morning after a day’s fast, I was imagining I would wake up ravenous, instead I feel nice and clean inside, and all I am craving now is a nice cup of tea, which I am going to make in a minute.

Have a good day.

Good Morning!

So happy to see multiple posts here this morning. I am all caught up at work, so I’m back to long, boring days. My boss is on vacation now, so he won’t be coming up with any projects for me until next week.

I had a VERY hungry day yesterday. I went for a run instead of boot camp and then came home and made a couple eggs for breakfast. That set me up for being hungry all day. I kept it all low carb, but I ate every few hours. 🙁 I plan to fast until 12 or 1 today, but when I’m bored at work, I start thinking about the almonds in my desk drawer etc.

Sherry…..safe travels! What a wonderful couple of months you have coming up! Enjoy every minute.

Well, soon time to head for the boot camp studio. We have a bunch of new members and it was packed on Monday. They may have to add another session to ease the congestion.

Have good days!

Hi, all, and thanks for the support. Sorry to be awol again–I’m still very distracted being single parent, having my son home for his break before California, coordinating some remodeling projects and mainly still trying to figure out what is going on with my daughter…..We will see her primary on Friday and go over the tests she’s had so far. I’m now leaning toward a really bad flare-up of reflux although I’m still worried she has some heart issue.

Anyway, I just skimmed the recent posts. Welcome to the new people!!!! FWIW, I eat low carb on fast days–weekends are “free” and weekdays I just limit carb snacking, if that makes sense. Of course my weight loss is painfully slow but it is in the right direction and it is sustainable, which is what I care about!

Lori, glad you had a good cruise and kept it under control. Salma, I agree that your son sounds awesome and I hope you enjoy his celebration!! Cinque, glad you are ticking things off your list–that is such a good feeling. Sherry, my husband was on a one-week business trip to Northern Europe and then joined a Sierra Club trip to Croatia for two weeks. This is his first experience with that. He wants to travel more than I do–I’m only up for an overseas trip every other year or so. We’re seeing how this goes. Unfortunately, the timing wasn’t great, however. Congrats on the very impressive scale number–that means you may truly enjoy your upcoming trip!!!!!

Better run–it’s my day to go to the office. Hopefully I will get some things ticked off my list, too!

Hi everyone!
    You didn’t see Cate at bootcamp Lori? 😉
    Yay for a quiet time at the office, we will expect lots of posts!

Hi CC Elizabeth, hasn’t it been an ongoing saga. Congratulations to you for managing the days. Good luck for the Friday results.
    I hope you got heaps done in the office!

I had yummy roasted cauliflower and pumpkin last night. I coated them with a tomatoey, mustardy, olive oil mixture and they were so tasty!

Fast Day today. Time for coffee!

G’night! Enjoy the start of your day! It really amuses me that we’re all in different time zones.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,701 through 3,750 (of 5,077 total)

You must be logged in to reply.