Messed up fast day

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Eeyore73 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hi everyone
    I’ve struggled with my fast day today and have gone over the calorie allowance – 700 instead of 500 – what do you advise? Scrap it and start again tomorrow or still count it as a fast day?
    (I had a free waitrose coffee because I was out with my kids with a I difficult drive home and was not feeling great, but it’s put me over the daily limit).

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Life happens. Continue on with your fast day if you can. I think that little bit of extra calories might balance out on other days. I’m just starting out and I have to do all or nothing to be able to commit right now so I having very few calories today. I have manage to schedule my days around my schedule, but this is only my 4th fast day. I’m doing ADF

Thanks. I have been doing 5:2 since the start of the year and this is the hardest day yet maybe because I am being more strict about calorie counting than I was to start with. Can I ask why you are doing ADF? I’ve thought about it mostly because I seem to be in a better mood on fast days, I’m wondering if it’s the lack of carbs.

I have been feeling a lot of Fibro pain and I really need to see if I would feel better through fasting. I was thinking that I would start out as strict as I could handle and eventually it would get easier on a maintenance plan. At first I was thinking of a 7 day fast but I couodnt find a supervised program close enough to me. Plus that seems like torture. Lol. I love ADF because I can get through a day of fasting thinking that I can eat the next day. I’m lucky I don’t have a big appetite and I generally drink a lot of water. It’s like there’s a light at the end of the tunnel and my fast days seem to go by pretty fast. I also feel better not eating right now so that must be a sign that I need healing. When I do eat I’m getting a headache and I’m not a big carb eater. I think that my body just is crying out for a break.

Ooh nasty, fibro is not nice pain to deal with. I have arthritis in my toes and chronic low back pain, and I know it’s much less painful when I don’t have refined sugar, I’ve never tried going completely carb free. But maybe cutting out refined sugar and cutting down on other carbs would be good for my mood.

I have been 5:2ing pretty well since it started and am on my target weight. Sometimes my fast days work as planned, sometimes they don’t. I don’t know what your TDEE is, but I’d guess that 700 cal is fewer. Count it as a fast day or don’t – it is your body. Just don’t get hung up over the numbers. This is a lifestyle, not an instant fix and you have the rest of your life to get it right.

Yeah. I knew I had to ease up on my sugar or I would be taking a lot more meds. I tend to feel deprived if I can’t treat myself but since I’m working so hard at fasting I’m finding that I want to eat healthier on my days that I do eat so I know my body is well fueled. I don’t really crave sweets but if they were in my house they would be calling out to me. Lol

Thanks Penguin. Good advice. Do you stick to your TDEE on NFDs? I haven’t got there yet but decided I would ease myself in gently as my history with diets is to go hell for leather for a few weeks then give up and I really want this to be something I continue with.

Canadian Faster – thanks, I haven’t been bothered by sweets etc in the house (kids’ and husband’s) I think today I’ve been thinking a bit all-or-nothing-y and forgot I can eat normally tomorrow!

Penguin sorry I meant BMR not TDEE

I guess you did mean TDEE – BMR is, I think, the result of how we live. I am 6 ft 4 1 /2 in tall and fairly active so my TDEE is 2500 cal per day. If I just eat healthily I will stay within that so I don’t worry about cal. Actually I never do because my fasting days are now fluid only fasts – tea, coffee, water, no food. When I first started and hadn’t learned to eat healthy food, my Monday/Tuesday fasts were 600 cal per day and they would take about five to six pounds off me. During the next five days I would put two to three of them back on, before losing again on the next fast. It was a chart that showed losses, small gains, losses – but the trend was down.

If you look around the various threads on this site you will find that there are many ways of achieving our goals. Try a few, find what works for you and stick with it. But don’t worry if some days you lose it, the occasional failure just doesn’t matter.

Eeyore73/Canadian faster. Just had a bath, I do some of my better thinking in the bath. You both mentioned body pain or arthritis. I have been 5:2 ing for so long I forget how I used to be. Before I started I was in almost constant pain from my knees and back. If I walked more that a couple of hundred yards sciatica stopped me. A good day was one when I was not in pain and needed no medication. My back and knees are now fine and I take no meds. Nothing magic, I just lost 50 pounds and at some time during that process realised that my body didn’t hurt any more.

Thanks for your help guys – after wobbling up and down the scale but basically staying the same for 2 weeks I recorded a 2kg loss this week…maybe that will be my pattern, will try not to get despondent if it happens again. I was ill for those weeks as well so although I did my fast days I wasn’t exercising.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.