mentally preparing lol

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sylvestra 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• hi guys I have just joined ur awesome looking forum in hope of mutual support and advice.ive lost and put on weight nearly all my life im about 40kilos heavier than I would like to be and feeling like I don’t know if I can do the loosing weight and keeping it off thing help!!!!thanks carole from nz

hi carole, welcome to the forum,
    like yourself ive dieted all my adult life to only end up going back to old habbits and worse of than when i started.
    this plan is the ONLY one ive been able to do long term, im in my 15th month now and still feel as motivated as i did in the begining,
    take measurements from all over because there will be weeks when things seem to be stuck, thats when my inch loss kicked in, find what works best for you, there is no right or wrong way, take time to read around the forum there are lots of hints and tips out there.
    wishing you all the best on your journey do keep us updated on your progress. xx

Hey Carole! Welcome to our awesome looking forum 😉 Mutual support is what you WILL find here, I’m absolutely sure about that.
    If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask! A lot of things have already been discussed on several topics though, so have a good look around the forums and use the search option – you may learn a lot!

Keep us posted on how you do, don’t be a stranger!

hi there thankyou so much!ill have a good look around I was just wondering about tips to cope the first few weeks of such low calorie intake thanks again im nervous about doing it scared ill not stick to it but with support hopefully ill get the swing of things carole 🙂

Well the first thing is to stop seeing them as “weeks” of such low calorie intake. It’s just two days out of the week! The other days you can eat to your TDEE’s content.

Whenever you start craving something, say cookies, ice cream, bread, whatever – just tell yourself “I can have it tomorrow.” And then not overindulge, but the next day just think “Do I still really, really need this?” And you might decide you don’t. But if you do, that’s OK and you can have a small piece! ^^

Oh and prepare for your day, so make sure you have the food ready to go for your fast day so you don’t have to torment yourself with thinking about food too much. Just keep yourself occupied with other things and you’ll be fine.

thanks so much a lot of great advice ill hsve ready ill start next week cheers carole

No problem 🙂 Let us know how you did!

ideas please of what people do food wise on there fast days

thanks so much for your honesty..Im feeling scared to begin as I don’t want to fail yet another diet but feel awful the weight I am..do you cou nt calories on the non fast days?and what generally do food wise on ur fasting days?thanks again

what it tdees content spry im learning bare with me grins

@smithy158 – I posted this on another thread so I’m copying it here for you.

There are two lots of initials you’ll see appearing on this forum
    BMR and TDEE
    Both of these are calculated using your age/height/current weight and lifestyle
    BMR is Basal (or Basic) Metabolic Rate – that is the amount of calories your body needs just to exist – i.e. the amount you would use if you lay in bed all day and didn’t move
    TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure – this is calcuated using your BMR and level of activity. It is the amount you need to maintain your current weight.
    Ideally, therefore, we should eat NO MORE than our TDEE on non fast days. I try to stay below mine for the following reason
    The maths are very simple – we need to use more energy (calories) than we consume
    So output higher than input …we lose weight
    input higher than output….we gain weight
    When output is higher than input the body starts to use stored fat for energy
    In the right hand column of this page, and all the pages, on this site you will see a link called ‘helpful site links’. Click on that and it will take you to a calculator where you enter your info and your BMI (Body Mass Index); BMR and TDEE.
    There are also explanatory notes on that page to help.
    Hope this helps a bit

thanks its all making sense to me now!!!do you count calories in ur 5 days then?

@smithy …there is nothing to be ‘scared’ of. I don’t see 5:2 as a ‘diet’ – I hate that word as it conjures up the idea of a short term ‘quick fix’ which is not sustainable. 5:2 is sustainable for as long as you want it to be. I intend to do 5:2 till I reach my target weight and then move to 6:1 to maintain.

You asked what to eat on fast days – I found that to start with I had three small meals – totalling no more than my 500 cals. usually porridge made with 25g oatmeal and water and served with 50mls of skimmed milk (110 cals), home made veg soup at lunchtime (75 cals) and a small meal totalling around 300 cals for dinner.

I did this for the first 2-3 weeks until my stomach became used to the reduction in food. Now I have one meal in the evening and black coffee and water throughout the day.

On non-fast days you eat WHAT you like but not HOW MUCH you like – you should try to stay within your TDEE. There are a couple of apps you can use initially to record your fast day and non fast day calories so you can see exactly how many calories are in what you eat. You may be very surprised to see how many calories are in that small slice of pizza or cake 😀 My Fitness Pal and Lose It are good for recording calories (google them) – maybe try it for a couple of weeks or so till you get the hang of things.

You may find you have a really good loss in the first week and then not quite so much in the subsequent weeks …1-2 lbs a week is good!

Good luck…keep coming to the forums,there’s loads of help, support and advice here.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.